• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 16th is a Big Day for Nintendo Fans - MK9 And Nintendo Switch 2 Info (Leaks)

If it's backwards compatible with the Switch and i have full access to that library to play everything i missed out, then i for sure as fuck will be on board with the Switch 2 day one it's released.

SSfox

It’s because I know I can feel confident that one of my kids or extended families kids will be over the moon with a hand me down Nintendo console :)

I love Nintendo for some of their games, but they're too bad when it comes to console and controllers.

NDS was the last Nintendo console that really liked.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Well, they are both going to eventually happen, but I am too a little skeptical of the dates.

The fact is, the Switch 2 has been in development for a while. The rumors we heard from Bloomberg and others weren't lies and the Nintendo Switch OLED is, in my opinion, a stopgap because the Switch is still selling a lot and they didn't want to waste the money they initially spent on RnD.

The Switch 2 could kill the momentum of the Switch. You announce it and suddenly sales go down. And even if it were to be launched at the same price, there's no way Nintendo could keep up with the demand. So what happens? You lose sales on the Switch (the margins are high) and aren't able to place enough Switch 2 to fulfill the demand. This is a bad situation for them.

The question is, can Nintendo wait a little longer? Is the software support going down? Yes and no. We're seeing fewer "impossible" ports, but games are still coming out and it's still selling. Ideally, they might want something that is between the power of a PS4/PS4 Pro to be able to get ports from current gen consoles, but why rushing when not even Sony and MS have been able to meet the demand and proper next gen games are not coming out yet?

I think that depending on the market we might see a Switch 2 later this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was a 2023 Launch.

ZehDon

If Nintendo releases a Switch 2 with a cross-gen approach of releasing all its games with better versions for the Switch 2 built in via BC and upscaling, that would still allow the Switch to sell for years to come. Third parties could start targeting the new hardware at their leisure, keeping the Switch relevant as the XSX and PS5 grow their bases, but Nintendo itself could carry both consoles as they currently do the Switch.

For me, the issue comes down to the hardware: the Switch is still selling well, and semiconductors are hard to come by. Running two lines of hardware would limit both.

ckaneo

Switch 2 would be stupid and Nintendo knows it. They should have made a switch pro instead of the overpriced oled

Woopah

EPD9 has been missing for a while, so Mario Kart 9 would not surprise me at all.

The whole Switch Pro/2 thing is something I find really fascinating. I do believe that dev kits for this device are out there, but I'm not sure if it is going to be classed as a revision or a successor.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't buy it. No way they launch a Switch 2 in the middle of a chip shortage when they have the best selling system. I am doubtful of Mario Kart as well, but I do think it would be a great cross gen title. That is when they actually need to make a move and launch a switch 2.

Holammer

Usually leak threads are super vague, but this one comes with a clear best by date. Something I've always asked for.
Fail to deliver and the mockery begins feb 17'th.

Gyro gimmick for Mk9? That part sounds like fan-fiction for me. Only diehard Nintendo fans thinks the gyro is hot shit and they never stop evangelizing about it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What was the tail on their other platforms? I don't remember how long DS lasted after 3DS and such.
ClosedFancyBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restricted.gif

Usually leak threads are super vague, but this one comes with a clear best by date. Something I've always asked for.
Fail to deliver and the mockery begins feb 17'th.

Gyro gimmick for Mk9? That part sounds like fan-fiction for me. Only diehard Nintendo fans thinks the gyro is hot shit and they never stop evangelizing about it.
Thankfully, I am not accountable for any of this. As I have no personal relation on the inside of what Nintendo is doing. It's nothing more than being a parrot of what someone else told you, everything else is left to people's personal beliefs and perceptions.

If individuals wanna go ahead and mock the hell out of this thread I wouldn't really blame them, but it changes nothing for me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My prediction:

We will get hyped up to the fucking moon. Then the next Nintendo direct will be the most underwhelming thing we have ever seen.

It’ll be like, NEW MONOLITH TITLE REVEALED: it’s a stand alone expansion for Mario Golf.

Then a sizzle reel featuring a bunch of indie games that are already available on PC/PS5/XSX

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well my suggestion of a long tail is out the window then lol.

I could see them taking a cross gen approach for awhile though. I find it hard to believe they will go through another 5 years with the hardware inside.

I get that it's still selling like mad but I feel like you wanna ride that wave and get more people on board the switch 2 while it's still hot.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I believe you op, I heard some info too. Apparently havok created a new engine for breath of the wild 2 and will evolve the chemistry engine from the first game. Apparently the cold meter will be Link's and Zelda's nipples, they felt the pressure of Rockstar Games horses, when they released RDR 2 with the shrinking balls technology. Can't wait.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thankfully, I am not accountable for any of this. As I have no personal relation on the inside of what Nintendo is doing. It's nothing more than being a parrot of what someone else told you, everything else is left to people's personal beliefs and perceptions.

If individuals wanna go ahead and mock the hell out of this thread I wouldn't really blame them, but it changes nothing for me.
first time GIF

kingfey

Banned
Switch 2 in this economic crisis is a big risk. Nintendo would have to delay their new console, and wait for the chips shortage to settle down.

Do you people have amnesia or something? Doug Bowser literally said the other day that the switch is only "halfway" through it's life cycle, on top of still generating massive sales and profits, why would Nintendo announce and launch a switch 2 at this point?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do you people have amnesia or something? Doug Bowser literally said the other day that the switch is only "halfway" through it's life cycle, on top of still generating massive sales and profits, why would Nintendo announce and launch a switch 2 at this point?

They said there was no new switch model coming then announced the OLED two months later.

Nintendo always talks outta the side of their mouth.

I am with you that I don't think the switch 2 is this year, however, I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

VN1X

Banned
Read the OP again, if you even did in the first place.

Aroll

That's not actually how this works.

You are the SOLE source of this on the entire internet. That makes you responsible for the rumor. Your "co-worker" who "knows someone at Nintendo QA" isn't out here posting this stuff. They aren't out here sharing the information. You are.

That makes you the originating source for this rumor on the entirety of the internet. It doesn't matter how you came across the information, you were first to share publicly, making you responsible for it's validity. If it ends up not true, it not only destroys your reputation. I notice how you don't name your name, nor the outlet you work at. Which also means you are trying REALLY hard to just be an anonymous person on the internet, as an outlet with privileged information wouldn't share it on a forum, but actually create the news piece on their website.

Conclusion:

- You're entirely making this up.
- You're being honest, but trying to pretend you bear zero responsibility for the information, despite nobody else being able to verify anything BUT you.

Either way, all roads lead to you. And posting incorrect stuff like this when you're the originating source, often leads to bans.

The Switch is still outselling everything on the market combined without a price drop and there's no sign of that stopping. It's game library is also still selling like hot cakes all without any price drops. It's still in print-money mode. Nintendo has always moved on when the well dried up and right now they don't even have to lower the bucket.

I'll file Switch 2 launching in the next couple years as unlikely. Manufacturing anything has been a nightmare and will be for a couple years so making a 4K capable handheld which would require some pretty advanced hardware would be prohibitively expensive and would not be able to meet the demand the current version sees. A hybrid running at 4K is not feasible unless they ask $600+ for it or sell it at a loss. 4K would mean you'd likely get some single-digit framerates and a short battery life. Even the brand new Steam Deck will only have a 1280x800 screen.

I mean I could ask my uncle who works at Nintendo, but I don't want to get him in trouble. He's just a few days away from retirement.

Mario Kart 9 is a given though. Water is wet. I heard from a reliable source that there will also be another Mario platformer released in the future.

That's not actually how this works.

You are the SOLE source of this on the entire internet. That makes you responsible for the rumor. Your "co-worker" who "knows someone at Nintendo QA" isn't out here posting this stuff. They aren't out here sharing the information. You are.

That makes you the originating source for this rumor on the entirety of the internet. It doesn't matter how you came across the information, you were first to share publicly, making you responsible for it's validity. If it ends up not true, it not only destroys your reputation. I notice how you don't name your name, nor the outlet you work at. Which also means you are trying REALLY hard to just be an anonymous person on the internet, as an outlet with privileged information wouldn't share it on a forum, but actually create the news piece on their website.

Conclusion:

- You're entirely making this up.
- You're being honest, but trying to pretend you bear zero responsibility for the information, despite nobody else being able to verify anything BUT you.

Either way, all roads lead to you. And posting incorrect stuff like this when you're the originating source, often leads to bans.
I am being honest. And I am simply what is being told. Yeah sure they point to me, but we internally actually decided not to post these things on our website because we don't have an additional source for the Switch 2 thing.

Meanwhile, this is a gaming forum where you can have a free flow conversation. But putting it on the web on an actual webpage as a news article formally would be too risky without multiple verified sources.

Reputation is everything in any business, so you have to be careful of what you post on your official channels.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

BlackTron

Didn't the CEO just say Switch is still at the middle of its lifecycle?

On the other hand, it could just be next in the "Switch Family" of systems much like there is a massive "DS Family" and he could be intending to launch a new hardware soon but conflating it with Switch in general.

In my opinion, even if they massively update the processing power, it would be a mistake to stray from the Switch brand and concept in any case. All it really needs is an update like GB Color to GB Advance. Do the same thing, but better.

Didn't the CEO just say Switch is still at the middle of its lifecycle?

On the other hand, it could just be next in the "Switch Family" of systems much like there is a massive "DS Family" and he could be intending to launch a new hardware soon but conflating it with Switch in general.

In my opinion, even if they massively update the processing power, it would be a mistake to stray from the Switch brand and concept in any case. All it really needs is an update like GB Color to GB Advance. Do the same thing, but better.
Yes they did and I mentioned that in the original post to why I don't think Switch 2 is a thing for this Holiday. The MK9 Direct is a lot more plausible.

Woopah

The Switch is still outselling everything on the market combined without a price drop and there's no sign of that stopping. It's game library is also still selling like hot cakes all without any price drops. It's still in print-money mode. Nintendo has always moved on when the well dried up and right now they don't even have to lower the bucket.

I'll file Switch 2 launching in the next couple years as unlikely. Manufacturing anything has been a nightmare and will be for a couple years so making a 4K capable handheld which would require some pretty advanced hardware would be prohibitively expensive and would not be able to meet the demand the current version sees. A hybrid running at 4K is not feasible unless they ask $600+ for it or sell it at a loss. 4K would mean you'd likely get some single-digit framerates and a short battery life. Even the brand new Steam Deck will only have a 1280x800 screen.

I mean I could ask my uncle who works at Nintendo, but I don't want to get him in trouble. He's just a few days away from retirement.

Mario Kart 9 is a given though. Water is wet. I heard from a reliable source that there will also be another Mario platformer released in the future.
I imaging the 4k output would be achieved through DLSS and only apply to when the Switch is outputting on a TV, not on the screen itself. It shouldn't need to be $600+ to achieve that. maybe closer to $400.

Indyblue

So the Switch is still selling 20,000,000+ per year and Nintendo is just gonna kneecap the fuck out of it by announcing a new system like 8-9 months before it launches? Makes sense

Top Bottom