• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 16th is a Big Day for Nintendo Fans - MK9 And Nintendo Switch 2 Info (Leaks)

Wasn't CBOAT confirmed to be a burner account of an old Microsoft employee who was inactive, used by some of the old mods to spread FUD?
Zhuge said this and another former mod corroborated but I don't know if there is any truth to it.
I am not really sure but he was a popular name among gaf users.

Demonite I believe was a Sony employee or had the connections with Sony. Verendus I am not sure but they were both very credible.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

I am not really sure but he was a popular name among gaf users.

Demonite I believe was a Sony employee or had the connections with Sony. Verendus I am not sure but they were both very credible.

Demonite, nktrnl, etc. were legit sources and real people. I don't think CBOAT was, after what I've heard fro. reputable sources.

AJUMP23

I hope this is true but I am skeptical.
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Banned
OLED model just released 5 months ago so I'd wager that we are probably not going to see a Switch 2 for at least 18-24 months. BotW 2, Mario Kart 8, Next Mario are strong possibilities over the 12-14 months.

Nintendo has released major revisions even after the system was replaced by its successor.
GameBoy Micro, GBA SP AGS-101, both GBA revisions that had either a straight upgrade with the AGS-101 having a way better screen or a new form factor + screen upgrade with the Micro.

so, I mean, they released an upgraded GBA with a way better screen ~6 months after the DS was already out
the DSi released about a 1½ years before the 3DS and that was a major hardware upgrade with a new OS, build in Online Store, more RAM, build in camera and more.

the OLED Switch is ultimately just a normal Switch with a better screen, not a huge upgrade

Last edited:
I can see it. I believe Nintendo were indeed planning a Pro console but decided to scrap it for a successor instead. It’s not like Apple waits until iPhone 12 stops selling before they release 13.

I don’t know about chip shortages but they don’t affect all chips equally.

Xellos

I hope the bit about new Nintendo hardware is true. I'm happy with Switch but it's 5 years old and due for an upgrade. Seems kind of soon after OLED, unless this was planned for an earlier release, things got sidetracked because of COVID/manufacturing/other issues, and Nintendo rejiggered some of the work into the OLED model. If a more powerful model does release soon I halfway expect it to reuse the OLED model's screen, dock and casing.

MK9 sounds more likely considering how old MK8 is. I think there were some rumblings about Mario Kart 9 last month? Seems like the rumor mills are heating up for that one.

People are mentioning third party ports. Do people with access to literally anything else still buy third party games on Nintendo? Aside from exclusives of course.

I do, but I like to see how games run on low end hardware. Sometimes they turn out surprisingly well! Other times not so much, but it's always interesting. Also I like the portability.

Aroll

I am being honest. And I am simply what is being told. Yeah sure they point to me, but we internally actually decided not to post these things on our website because we don't have an additional source for the Switch 2 thing.

Meanwhile, this is a gaming forum where you can have a free flow conversation. But putting it on the web on an actual webpage as a news article formally would be too risky without multiple verified sources.

Reputation is everything in any business, so you have to be careful of what you post on your official channels.
And you claimed you have multiple sources on the other thing. And yet, here you are. :)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
MY source can now confirm Nintendo will release the GameCube 3 in March 2023 with a reveal at SPACEWORLD 2022.

He’ll be 97 in April, so likely much older than OP’s source, therefore he does not lie.

More to follow…

Other websites are now reporting that Mario Kart 9 will indeed be revealed sometime this month.

Also, other rumored games to be in that direct are Kirby and Xenoblade 3, but Mario Kart 9 is the star of the Nintendo Direct.
And you claimed you have multiple sources on the other thing. And yet, here you are. :)
I have 2 sources on the Mario Kart 9 things is what I said (Please read the thread carefully) I do not have a second source for the Switch 2. Stop twisting my words and learn reading comprehension..

I can see MK9 happening but I seriously doubt regarding the Switch 2. Like you said, you don't even have a second confirmation so yeah I would suppose that it won't be happening.

I believe its too early for MK9. MK8 is still selling well last time I checked, so it would not be a good idea to already announce MK9, but instead wait until MK8 is barely selling any units.

coffinbirth

I'm all but certain Nintendo will release a "Switch 2" or as to say an Nvidia powered hybrid console that is BC with Switch. When they actually do that? I'm guessing once the insane demand starts to wane...so, honestly probably not for another couple of years. 2024? I feel like they are also trying to balance that with the next SoC they decide to go with, with Xavier seeming the most likely choice. No way they could land on Orin in this theoretical timeframe at a price that would make sense without cutting Nvidia in for a larger piece of the pie. Xavier is no slouch, after all, and you could probably get some very nice looking and performing games with the TPU via DLSS. If they use an X2, they can go fuck themselves, haha.

And here's an insider tidbit for you... I know that Sony Santa Monica Studio recently hired a former Raven Software engineer (amongst others) that has been tasked with helping spruce up the God of War engine for an unannounced project helmed by Barlog. He also said that a big part of what they are doing is trying to scale it across PS4 and PS5 better, and they are already seeing results via Ragnarok. Whether this means that their next title will also be cross platform is not known to him at this time, as it is still in preproduction, but I'm guessing not as it is still years away.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Any tech heads know if there is a way right now to make a 300 dollar Switch 2 that has a meaningful jump in specs?

Zannegan

Any tech heads know if there is a way right now to make a 300 dollar Switch 2 that has a meaningful jump in specs?
Not a tech head by any means, but with the OLED doing fine at $350, can you honestly see them launching a successor for anything less than $400 in the next year or two? If this rumor is true (and I don't believe it), I wouldn't anticipate anything less.

If the Switch really were set to launch in 2023-2024, I think the most we could hope for would be for Nintendo to stop making standard Switches, the OLED to drop down to $300, an OLED Lite to replace the current Lite model at $200, and then we *might* see a Pro or Switch 2 under $400.

For a $300 Switch 2 launch, we'd basically have to wait for the Switch to hit $200-ish, no? Unless sales drop off a cliff this year, that won't be any time soon.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Not a tech head by any means, but with the OLED doing fine at $350, can you honestly see them launching a successor for anything less than $400 in the next year or two? If this rumor is true (and I don't believe it), I wouldn't anticipate anything less.

If the Switch really were set to launch in 2023-2024, I think the most we could hope for would be for Nintendo to stop making standard Switches, the OLED to drop down to $300, an OLED Lite to replace the current Lite model at $200, and then we *might* see a Pro or Switch 2 under $400.

For a $300 Switch 2 launch, we'd basically have to wait for the Switch to hit $200-ish, no? Unless sales drop off a cliff this year, that won't be any time soon.

True, I meant more like what is technically possible for whatever amount Switch 2 will sell for though. It will probably be 350-400 instead of 300. But since battery tech barely improved over the years, what can we even expect?

_SAKY_

Nintendo has released major revisions even after the system was replaced by its successor.
GameBoy Micro, GBA SP AGS-101, both GBA revisions that had either a straight upgrade with the AGS-101 having a way better screen or a new form factor + screen upgrade with the Micro.

So, I mean, they released an upgraded GBA with a way better screen ~6 months after the DS was already out

Good point but Supporting a previous generation after the release of a new console is not uncommon. Back then these consoles were hitting that $99 "sweetspot" that systems often strived for. You also have large userbase that is still generating revenue. PS4 and XB1 are still getting support. I also recall that the DS's library struggled in it's first year or so. So you have a few good resons to release these inexpensive hardware revisions.
the DSi released about a 1½ years before the 3DS and that was a major hardware upgrade with a new OS, build in Online Store, more RAM, build in camera and more.

the OLED Switch is ultimately just a normal Switch with a better screen, not a huge upgrade
Yep 1 1/2 years = 18 months.

Last edited:

Banned
Yep 1 1/2 years = 18 months.

yes but the difference is that the DSi was a huge hardware and software upgrade over the DS Lite. more ram, new OS frontend, build in apps, Online Store, Camera etc.

while the Switch OLED is a minor upgrade more comparable to the GBA SP AGS-101, which had a vastly improved screen with multiple dimming settings and proper back-lighting, compared to the simple On/Off setting and desaturated front-lit display of the old GBA SP

so in my opinion the Switch OLED has no baring on the probability of when the Switch 2 will launch. Nintendo releases revisions like that sometimes after the new system is already out.

Last edited:

Interfectum

This person has stated that Nintendo is planning to release the "supposedly" Switch Pro which is actually not a Switch Pro but is titled Nintendo Switch 2. Yes this is Nintendo's next big fancy toy. It will be support 4K visuals and just be a more beefed up switch and be backwards compatible with the original Switch titles. The problem that I have with this statement is that Nintendo recently released a statement that the Nintendo Switch is only in the middle of its lifecycle. So it is contradicting to what he said and another issue is that I do not have a second source that is saying the same thing. Maybe he misheard, or maybe plans have changed, also remember we are in the COVID times.
Thanks for your post, slight correction here... Nintendo stating Switch is in mid-cycle does not mean they won't be releasing new hardware soon. It means they will continue full support for the next few years. Even going by your rumors MK9 and BotW2 will still release on Switch as will any 2023 / 2024 game they have in development.

BlackTron

What I expect:
Native rendered 4k graphics, 60fps.

What we're likely getting:
Upscaled 4k graphics from 1080p, 30fps on a good day.

If Nintendo continues to follow the late Iwata's weak console philosophy, we'll get something similar to Xbox Series S as best case scenario.
Fantasy wise, If we're lucky, we'll get Xbox Series X level of power.

I think this is over reaching. Nintendo cannot have native 4k at 60fps in decent looking games at a mass-market price. That is literally what Series X and PS5 does at $500. Now try to squeeze that power into a portable system. With all due respect, your expectations are just pure fantasy. Steam Deck costs much more than Switch and is far shy of Series X power.

If the next Switch has DLSS and has Xbox One/One S/Base PS4 levels of power I'll be pleased. I think that if we were extremely lucky in a fantasy scenario, Switch 2 would have the power of a Series S. Even then it would probably need to cost $500 even if they pulled off such a miracle!

I don't think Nintendo's philosophy is to make their hardware weak compared to the competition. They just make it as good as they can that still allows them to make a profit while keeping it within a $250-350 price point. They will NEVER go over 350 for their main hardware! You aren't getting a Series X in a handheld device for that!!

Edit: Actually I take back what I said, in many cases unless it's a poor looking game even Series X/PS5 will not give you 4k/60 at the same time. You have to choose res or framerate. Expecting it from Nintendo isn't just having high hopes, it's crazy.

Last edited:

Bwahaha

Neo Member
The argument that they usually release hardware every 5 years ignores the realities of the market. The Gamecube and the WiiU were incredible failures and necessitated a faster than desired change of systems. And even the Wii dropped off a cliff as people like to say.

Why don't you take a look at their successful handhelds to see a more fitting lifespan? GB to GBA was 12 years. GBA was then cut short due to the PSP, but the DS was 7 years, the 3DS was 6 years.

The Switch is currently the fastest selling console on the market, why the hell would they kneecap this years sales and announce something 9 months out? Expect to see something closer to a 6 month time between announcement and release if not shorter.
And they've even come right out and admitted that the Switch will last longer than a "typical" Nintendo console.

And now combine this with the entire industry suffering a severe shortage for several more years, there is absolutely no point in launching a new system this year or probably even next.

This is ridiculously fake.

Davevil

The argument that they usually release hardware every 5 years ignores the realities of the market. The Gamecube and the WiiU were incredible failures and necessitated a faster than desired change of systems. And even the Wii dropped off a cliff as people like to say.

Why don't you take a look at their successful handhelds to see a more fitting lifespan? GB to GBA was 12 years. GBA was then cut short due to the PSP, but the DS was 7 years, the 3DS was 6 years.

The Switch is currently the fastest selling console on the market, why the hell would they kneecap this years sales and announce something 9 months out? Expect to see something closer to a 6 month time between announcement and release if not shorter.
And they've even come right out and admitted that the Switch will last longer than a "typical" Nintendo console.

And now combine this with the entire industry suffering a severe shortage for several more years, there is absolutely no point in launching a new system this year or probably even next.

This is ridiculously fake.
You can't destroy OP's ass like that

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
There is TONS of info about the Switch Pro Nintendo was working on, and when that got shelved for whatever reason (chip shortage or not having games ready or whatever), it makes sense that they would pivot to a Switch 2.

It's very plausible that they just retooled the Switch Pro (which I don't think was ever going to be called that, I heard "Super Nintendo Switch") and plan to release more or less the same thing a year later. I seriously doubt it will be named "Switch 2" as that is very much not Nintendo's style, and Super Switch is ambiguous enough that they could market it as a Pro or a successor depending on how it goes over.

In fact, releasing a system that is similar to the last system is not so much Nintendo's style either. We've seen it with like, the Game Boy line, I guess, but usually they're more inclined to do something novel and stupid that we initially all hate and eventually come around to. I always assumed the true successor to Switch would be something more like that.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Development takes too long to support two consoles.

I think this is over reaching. Nintendo cannot have native 4k at 60fps in decent looking games at a mass-market price. That is literally what Series X and PS5 does at $500. Now try to squeeze that power into a portable system. With all due respect, your expectations are just pure fantasy. Steam Deck costs much more than Switch and is far shy of Series X power.

If the next Switch has DLSS and has Xbox One/One S/Base PS4 levels of power I'll be pleased. I think that if we were extremely lucky in a fantasy scenario, Switch 2 would have the power of a Series S. Even then it would probably need to cost $500 even if they pulled off such a miracle!

I don't think Nintendo's philosophy is to make their hardware weak compared to the competition. They just make it as good as they can that still allows them to make a profit while keeping it within a $250-350 price point. They will NEVER go over 350 for their main hardware! You aren't getting a Series X in a handheld device for that!!

Edit: Actually I take back what I said, in many cases unless it's a poor looking game even Series X/PS5 will not give you 4k/60 at the same time. You have to choose res or framerate. Expecting it from Nintendo isn't just having high hopes, it's crazy.
It's a tragedy that nintendo chose portability over home console.
At the very least, I beg nintendo to port their games to PC as well.
That way, mobile fans can enjoy their games on the go and the rest can enjoy the benefits of higher image quality and performance.
The graphics of switch games were never the issue.

If you had to pick 3 what would you choose?
1: Graphics
2: Image Quality
3: Performance
4: Mobility
5: Price

Personally, I'd pick 1, 2 and 3 without thinking twice. 🥰

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's consistent with what my inside sources claimed last month.

(My inside sources were that guy who made the thread saying Sony was going to buy Nintendo)

Without any concrete details on spec I would hope a Switch 2 could run BotW at native resolution (with the help of DLSS) at 60 fps.
IF they still go with Nvidia? Didn't those Nvidia SOC's kinda drop the ball in terms of getting breached by a simple short of joycon pins?

Might see them move to AMD for the next one :eek:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
BOTW2 will be pushed to 2023

Imagine if Nintendo line up BOTW2, MK9, Odyssey 2, next gen Animal Crossing for Switch 2 launch…..they would prolly sell 50 millions console within one year
That would be a very good idea. I wouldn't necessarily think it would sell 20 million in 12 months, but it would land the system with a huge momentum. And momentum is everything.

Dream-Knife

Banned
That way, mobile fans can enjoy their games on the go and the rest can enjoy the benefits of higher image quality and performance.

I would actually greatly prefer Nintendo to release their games on PC so I don't need to buy any of their hardware.

Chances are I won't buy a Switch 2 or whatever and just wait for an emulator as I play my switch so infrequently. If the Xenoblade games came to PC I'd be fine not having the other games TBH. Of course I'd also like Atlus to put all of their games on PC as well.

BlackTron

I would choose 1, 2 and 3. Hell, if it were my way, we would have a $800 console and a real god damn successor to Ocarina of Time.

But Nintendo choose to make money instead, and sell to 1 million people instead of 20 guys on GAF. Their objective is clearly to make the best money, not to make the best video game. The industry has long since figured out, there is a big difference between the two.

Knightime_X

I would choose 1, 2 and 3. Hell, if it were my way, we would have a $800 console and a real god damn successor to Ocarina of Time.

But Nintendo choose to make money instead, and sell to 1 million people instead of 20 guys on GAF. Their objective is clearly to make the best money, not to make the best video game. The industry has long since figured out, there is a big difference between the two.
Sony and xbox should have done the same...
And laptops only.....

😭😭😭

With Steam deck on its way that would be a bad idea.

Top Bottom