• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 16th is a Big Day for Nintendo Fans - MK9 And Nintendo Switch 2 Info (Leaks)

BlackTron

It's astonishing to me how many people think the Steam Deck makes even the slightest tiniest difference to Nintendo. Its existence has never and will never affect anything that they do.

Imagine Toyota changing their Corolla strategy because a new Porsche is revealed. Right, because that Porsche is obviously gonna cannibalize the sales of Corolla even though its priced beyond most people and they can hardly produce any.

Yes, that's how silly it sounds when you bring up Steam Deck in Switch discussions.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm not doubting that people may have heard things that are happening behind the scenes, but I have a very hard time believing they're going to release MK9 any time soon while MK8 is still one of the best selling games every month. It's unstoppable. Frankly I'm more surprised that they don't just drop more and more track packs.

Davevil

I'm not doubting that people may have heard things that are happening behind the scenes, but I have a very hard time believing they're going to release MK9 any time soon while MK8 is still one of the best selling games every month. It's unstoppable. Frankly I'm more surprised that they don't just drop more and more track packs.
Why invest in a game that literally prints money with no efforts?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why invest in a game that literally prints money with no efforts?

To print even more money without going to the effort of building an entirely new game for it. 40+ million MK8 owners is a ridiculous install base of people who might like a few new maps considering they only ever did 2 packs, if I remember right.

That said, this is Nintendo, a lot of stuff they do makes no business sense on the surface and they're quietly printing money as usual, so nothing they do or don't do surprises me any more.

Banned
It's astonishing to me how many people think the Steam Deck makes even the slightest tiniest difference to Nintendo. Its existence has never and will never affect anything that they do.

Imagine Toyota changing their Corolla strategy because a new Porsche is revealed. Right, because that Porsche is obviously gonna cannibalize the sales of Corolla even though its priced beyond most people and they can hardly produce any.

Yes, that's how silly it sounds when you bring up Steam Deck in Switch discussions.

uhm, the Steam Deck is literally 50 bucks more than. Switch...

I agree with you that it won't have any affect on the Switch, not because of the price, but because of the scarcity and because of the whole PC thing being way less user friendly

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
At the very least, I beg nintendo to port their games to PC as well.
0qKtIN5.gif

Judging by the title I thiught they were making a definitive Mortal Kombat 9 game for the switch. I was about to dust the paperweight off the there for a minute.

Dr Bass

To print even more money without going to the effort of building an entirely new game for it. 40+ million MK8 owners is a ridiculous install base of people who might like a few new maps considering they only ever did 2 packs, if I remember right.

That said, this is Nintendo, a lot of stuff they do makes no business sense on the surface and they're quietly printing money as usual, so nothing they do or don't do surprises me any more.
Have you ever considered ... that just maybe ... you don't really understand the business?

AV

Have you ever considered ... that just maybe ... you don't really understand the business?

That's what I'm saying, a lot of their decisions may seem baffling at a distance - see literally anything they do related to the internet as an example - and yet it doesn't matter, because they print money, so they must be doing something right.

Elysion

Banned

The ‚Nintendo doesn’t care what other companies do’ meme is a bit overblown if you ask me. Let’s not forget, Nintendo literally announced a new handheld system only 3 years after the launch of the GBA entirely in response to the PSP (which was announced in 2003, a year prior to the DS). There‘s no way they would’ve released the DS so early and cut the life of the still relatively young GBA so short if it wasn’t for the threat posed by Sony‘s first entry into the handheld market.

It would be a terrible idea for Nintendo to just pretend the Deck doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The ‚Nintendo doesn’t care what other companies do’ meme is a bit overblown if you ask me. Let’s not forget, Nintendo literally announced a new handheld system only 3 years after the launch of the GBA entirely in response to the PSP (which was announced in 2003, a year prior to the DS). There‘s no way they would’ve released the DS so early and cut the life of the still relatively young GBA so short if it wasn’t for the threat posed by Sony‘s first entry into the handheld market.

It would be a terrible idea for Nintendo to just pretend the Deck doesn’t exist.
I agree that the whole thing about Nintendo not caring what other companies do is overblown.

Regardless, I still don't think the Steam Deck is even a chink in their armor. Game Gear was a bigger deal than this. It's not even a blip on the radar to them. And not because their arrogant, but because it isn't a threat to them and has nothing to do with the business they do. My Corolla vs Porsche analogy stands. Can you imagine if a Toyota employee came in talking about the new Porsche, how the Corolla product needs to react to it. Like LOL.

BlackTron

uhm, the Steam Deck is literally 50 bucks more than. Switch...

I agree with you that it won't have any affect on the Switch, not because of the price, but because of the scarcity and because of the whole PC thing being way less user friendly

Yeah but the version that's 50 more than Switch is the crappy Switch Lite version.

Like the white version of the Wii U lol.

For whatever reason it is, you're right that they're just after totally different markets.

Kabelly

In my opinion a Mario Kart game built specifically for Switch could look way more graphically advanced than the wii u version.

Elysion

Banned
Regardless, I still don't think the Steam Deck is even a chink in their armor. Game Gear was a bigger deal than this. It's not even a blip on the radar to them. And not because their arrogant, but because it isn't a threat to them and has nothing to do with the business they do. My Corolla vs Porsche analogy stands. Can you imagine if a Toyota employee came in talking about the new Porsche, how the Corolla product needs to react to it. Like LOL.

If the Steam Deck is a Porsche, then so was the PSP back in the day.

Let‘s imagine if Nintendo hadn’t released the DS at the same time as the PSP, but had instead decided to wait a couple more years, since the GBA was still selling very well. Do you think the PSP wouldn‘t have taken a significant chunk out of the handheld market, despite it‘s much higher price? It did pretty well anyway, despite having to compete with the phenomenon that was the DS, but I’m pretty sure without the DS around during its first couple of years it would‘ve done even better.

What ultimately prevented the DS from sharing the fate of the N64 and Gamecube and allowed it to dominate were it’s unique features, and games that used those features – an advantage that the Switch 2 most likely won‘t have, unless Nintendo decides to do something crazy again. The Switch 2 will probably just be a more powerful Switch, and thus not that much different from the Deck. Under these circumstances, it might be dangerous for Nintendo to wait too long and allow the Deck to build up a large install base. The Deck‘s base will probably be mostly made up of enthusiasts (especially at first), but they are the ones who buy the most games, and are willing to accept higher prices for hardware than other consumers.

Not sure why the Steam Deck is being brought up. During Gabe’s interview he described the price point as “painful” for Valve and that the long term ambition is to create a new product category of handheld PC gaming, not for them to personally sell tons of units.

Nintendo likely has discussed the Steam Deck at length internally, the same way they would for all forms of gaming including competing consoles, mobile, VR, PC, devices built for pirated games, and streaming. My assumption would be that they see it as a relatively lower threat compared to many of the other things they’re competing against.

There will be no announcements on February 16th.

BlackTron

If the Steam Deck is a Porsche, then so was the PSP back in the day.

I disagree. PSP launched at $249.99. If it started at $399 like Steam Deck does for the most stripped version and just played PC games, the result would be the same. A product that would not eat into Nintendo's base in any way.

Let‘s imagine if Nintendo hadn’t released the DS at the same time as the PSP, but had instead decided to wait a couple more years, since the GBA was still selling very well. Do you think the PSP wouldn‘t have taken a significant chunk out of the handheld market, despite it‘s much higher price? It did pretty well anyway, despite having to compete with the phenomenon that was the DS, but I’m pretty sure without the DS around during its first couple of years it would‘ve done even better.

I think that both Nintendo and Sony expanded the portable market at this time. In other words, not every sale was a one taken away from the other. I think a lot of gamers who had a PSP but no Game Boy were Playstation players who would not have gotten a GB anyway. I also think many portable addicts got both. Of course, all this is irrelevant as I don't think the PSP is a great analogy to the Steam Deck. I also don't think Nintendo released it as a direct response to PSP. The original DS was a Frankenstein monstrosity and that's how Nintendo described it at the time, an experiment. It didn't look like something you would put out to fight the PSP. It was not expected or intended to be a replacement for the supremely successful Game Boy brand, but its runaway success led to it being the successor to the GB and the famed Lite variant that, in my opinion, actually was intended to fight PSP with some style points.

What ultimately prevented the DS from sharing the fate of the N64 and Gamecube and allowed it to dominate were it’s unique features, and games that used those features – an advantage that the Switch 2 most likely won‘t have, unless Nintendo decides to do something crazy again.

We're getting into conjecture and opinion here. Every Nintendo portable system has sold gangbusters and you're telling me the "only reason" DS didn't fail as hard as Gamecube is...its unique features? If it had just been Game Boy DX instead and was only $120, how do we know it wouldn't have sold as well as the last GB, or who knows, even more than the DS did? We really don't know, we never will, it's all speculation. There are many plausible outcomes here.

The Switch 2 will probably just be a more powerful Switch, and thus not that much different from the Deck. Under these circumstances, it might be dangerous for Nintendo to wait too long and allow the Deck to build up a large install base. The Deck‘s base will probably be mostly made up of enthusiasts (especially at first), but they are the ones who buy the most games, and are willing to accept higher prices for hardware than other consumers.

Nintendo wants enthusiast money, but they will not sacrifice casual money to get it. Nintendo is first and foremost a place to play Mario Kart. At full price. Because people are clamoring to play their exclusive games. Best IP in gaming + hardware price point casuals can swallow = market on a different planet than Steam Deck.

Let's say Steam Deck builds up its install base. Nintendo would feel the same way about those gamers as they did about those playing on PC instead of Wii. Open platforms have always been there, you still need to pay the Yakuza for Smash.

I simply don't see Deck taking many sales away from Switch. What few it does take away, Nintendo doesn't care. For every 1 of them, there are 100,000 kids bugging mom for Pokemon, Kart, Zelda, etc. I'm sorry but the Deck is a drop in a piss bucket to Nintendo and always will be.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So all is this is a big nope then, what with them releasing a ton of new tracks for MK8. MK9 isn't happening until whatever their next console is five years from now.

Last edited:

CuNi

I bet MK9 was planned to have a remaster version of every track ever releases and after Nintendo saw that MK9 was leaked they said fuck it and started backporting all the Maps to MK8...
I mean anything else would mean OP was wrong and leakers are never wrong.. right gaf?
/s

To be fair, he at least did get fact right that there would be Mario Kart news, which technically is already more than 99% of the other leakers get right.

yurinka

I'd have loved to see Switch 2 and Mario Kart 9 here. Let's hope they announce it next week, but seeing MK8 DLCs and a seasonpass now, I highly doubt it. RIP OP, you have my respect.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is the first time I saw this thread...and I stopped at Feb 16 and MK9.

Cot dayum OP.

odhiex

OP said February 16th. Be patient Guys, a few more days left for that Switch 2 announcement and MK9.

Last edited:
Lol, complete fan fiction as expected. Ban OP and name and shame the “expert site”.
Why ban the OP? He had his opinion and he shared it with us and half of the people in this thread didn't take a second to pause and think that maybe it's tales from his ass, instead they just drunk all the cool aid the OP was selling. Sometimes people have too use that thing inside their head, it's not just there for no reason but many have it on hibernation mode.

Well, completely wrong as expected.

Hope that people start learning from this that insiders are not trustworthy
Insiders not trustworthy? You must have never heard of Tom Henderson. There are bad and good eggs man in every field.

Not every insider is trustworthy but not every insider is also NOT not trustworthy.

I love ya Elder Legend Elder Legend - appreciate you passing on the info. It’s the nature of the beast, someone hears 48 courses are in development for MK and assumes it’s MK9 and that’s what gets passed along in Chinese whispers. All in good faith, sometimes the info is accurate, other times not so much.
There was a lot of misunderstanding on behalf of my part during the conversation with my writer who informed me of his insider with the R&D Nintendo guy.

The R&D guy never confirmed or denied MK9 for February 16th nor did he deny or confirm a Nintendo Direct for this month period. This was completely my fault as I misunderstood what was told too me.

The only thing he said was that MK9 was tied to Switch 2. Switch 2 has also different cartridges, backwards compatible and MK9 will use a the gimmick that Switch 2 provides or play the game with a twist rather using Switch 2 functionality.

The other source was a complete lie or they had their info wrong. Either way, that source won't be used again for obvious reasons. I do believe she works as a Arizona Regional Manager but you have to realize it's not as big as a R&D position and a lot of them I'd assume probably kept in the dark. Oh well, lesson learned.

The R&D guy will be on the check ups from time to time, for all we know they could be messing with us and just bsing. There is plenty of time for this to go all wrong or who knows to be all correct. Either way I wouldn't hold your breath and just roll with a punches.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
OP has going on bizarre rants all week, posting NSFW content in threads, guess he wanted to go out in a blaze of something.
Nothing beats your Legends Arceus thread and the infamy you’ve achieve with that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Insiders not trustworthy? You must have never heard of Tom Henderson. There are bad and good eggs man in every field.

Not every insider is trustworthy but not every insider is also NOT not trustworthy.

There was a lot of misunderstanding on behalf of my part during the conversation with my writer who informed me of his insider with the R&D Nintendo guy.

The R&D guy never confirmed or denied MK9 for February 16th nor did he deny or confirm a Nintendo Direct for this month period. This was completely my fault as I misunderstood what was told too me.

The only thing he said was that MK9 was tied to Switch 2. Switch 2 has also different cartridges, backwards compatible and MK9 will use a the gimmick that Switch 2 provides or play the game with a twist rather using Switch 2 functionality.

The other source was a complete lie or they had their info wrong. Either way, that source won't be used again for obvious reasons. I do believe she works as a Arizona Regional Manager but you have to realize it's not as big as a R&D position and a lot of them I'd assume probably kept in the dark. Oh well, lesson learned.

The R&D guy will be on the check ups from time to time, for all we know they could be messing with us and just bsing. There is plenty of time for this to go all wrong or who knows to be all correct. Either way I wouldn't hold your breath and just roll with a punches.
It’s the nature of the beast my friend 💪💪

Top Bottom