• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February is Black History Month - Let's Talk About Some of Our Favorite Black Characters in Gaming

Celcius

°Temp. member
I realize this thread is kinda late but with this being Black History Month and all I just wanted to talk about some of the cool Black videogame characters in the history of gaming.

For my favorite, I'll pick Barret from Final Fantasy 7:

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Barret-Wallace-Vest.jpg

FF7 is my favorite game and Barret is one of the main characters. He has a tough exterior but shows his softer side when interacting with his adopted daughter Marlene and he's always hyped when there's a chance to go on a mission and stick it to Shinra. Plus he fights with a cool gun-arm and is great at ranged battle. He's one of the first characters to join your party so you get to know him early on in the story. The Remake of FF7 does a great job of fleshing out his personality and the voice actor (I played in English) does an awesome job. He's the kind of party member to not give up on his goals no matter the odds and won't leave you behind when things get tough.

Who are some of your favorites NeoGaf?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is it? I'm sure it's October
Thought it was a LGBTQ month again 🤔
or is just like the LGBTQ months and it's every other month?

Edit, oh it is in October as well 🙄

My choices have been taken.
I was gonna go Sheva Alomar, but that bitch kept stealing my herbs 😤

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Another of my other favorites is Drebin from Metal Gear Solid 4:

MGS4-Drebin-Apple-800x445.jpg

I always enjoyed the parts of the game where he's on the screen and his monkey sidekick is funny. He has a cool armored vehicle that he lives in and he seems to have eyes on everything going on.

Last edited:
Another of my other favorites is Drebin from Metal Geat Solid 4:

I always enjoyed the parts of the game where he's on the screen and his monkey sidekick is funny. He has a cool armored vehicle that he lives in and he seems to have eyes on everything going on.

i was literally gonna post this exact image. i remember the music that would play when he would show up.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Another of my other favorites is Drebin from Metal Gear Solid 4:

Love this guy! The monkey is called "Little Grey", what great scenes haha.

Kuranghi

Off-topic: Is there anyone here whose first MGS was MGS 4?

Also, they should call it Blistory month, sounds way cooler.

Last edited:

Larxia

I really like Lincoln from Mafia 3 from what I played. Hate the game though.
I think Mafia 3 has great characters, great story, really great setting / world, and even great gameplay.

I'm super conflicted about this game because I like a lot of things about it, but at the same time, they completely ruined the game by making all these repetitive terrible tasks which are absolutely awful. I feel like they had a great 10 hours game that they turned into a repetitive, tedious 30 hours game. It needs the opposite of games getting some expanded editions, this game needs an "essential" edition where they remove all the clutter / filler, and just keep the great core content.

But yes, good characters.

sn0man

Cole Train and his backstory had some nice Postman vibes going on.

Tyreal from Diablo 3 is a good pull. He is kinda awesome.

I know this sounds like port begging but Nintendo really need to create a couple Black characters for their games. Maybe they can start a new series with a PoC as a main.

Eddy Gordo, Elena, Sheva, Dudley, Murdock, Raven (Tekken) are mine.

Spawn and ShadowMan if you go on technicality since they are actually comic book characters. And Menat on another technicality if you consider her more on the African side of Egyptian (dunno if backstory actually clarifies this, I just know it's a tricky thing to designate kinda like when talking about Brazilians tho in that case it's a lot easier).

Barrett is the best because he's environmentally conscious, a great dad AND he has a chaingun arm.

I'll go with Sylens from Horizon, mostly because Lance Reddick could make even the worst writing ever sound great/epic:

FHET0FPWQAMfSGR.jpg

Dude is a great actor for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom