• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feels fucking awesome being a neutral gamer

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Neutral gamer. Isn't it just called a gamer?

However, if you say something about Microsoft and some negativity about Sony, despite owning both platforms, then you will forever be a green rat

kubricks

I actually admire those console fanboys, it's so good to be young and care about stuff like this.

Time will pass and before you know it, you will be able to afford all the console and all the new games but have absolute no time or place to play any of them because your wife and kids will be occupying your 75" OLED TV for Netflix junk or even worse.... Peppa Pig. ;/

Green_Eyes

Back in the Gamespot System Wars days, if you were a Manticore, you were a boring wuss.

I'm still picking that vibe from you now.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

You'll still be hailed as a fanboi if you praise a microsoft game on GAF.

Im with you though, being so loyal to one system at the expense of the others just means you miss out on loads of cool games
That's called persecution complex in psychiatry. You'll be hailed as a Sony or Nintendo fanboy by the other sides if you praise their games on gaf.
Hell! You'll be hailed a 'insert random game' fanboy if you praise it too much (expecially if it comes with problems at release to the rage croud jump on it).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

Fabieter

That's the reason I don't like the consolidation of the industry. I have a feeling the beauty of current gaming goes away for me in the distinctive future.

OuterLimits

Some people just become fanatics for certain consumer products/companies. They have been arguing over plastic boxes since the early days of the industry. In a couple decades they will be in a nursing home still doing the same on social media and forums like GAF while waiting for their ass to be wiped and pudding time after dinner.

mdkirby

I have both seriesX and PS5, but I definitely do prefer the ps5. I just find the UI/UX of the xbox shockingly bad, which i'm surprised by as I remember in the 360 days it being the best. And then the elite controller is just kinda shit compared to the dual sense. So I will begrudgingly boot up the xbox from time to time, and if a game I really want is on both id rather buy it on playstation vs playing 'for free' on gamespass. It does mean I do resent when some of my favourite studios are bought by MS, such as Bethesda and Arcane, as whilst I will still be able to play them, it feels like they will be a lesser experience as a result.

If they can rework their ecosystem and UI, and copy the dual sense I would be happy, and my current preferences for one platform over the other would reduce significantly. I can't comment on the PC space as I am a Mac user, tho I do have a steam deck arriving soon...

DaGwaphics

That's just sad OP. Without the warring what are you left with, nothing but those plastic boxes with the round things inside hanging on the rack. Very sad.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Being able to respect, cheer and appreciate great games irregardless of platform... Playing on different gaming boxes & seeing the good in all coexisting... Never hard-line simping for any corporation... A cut above the ridiculous mental gymnastics of fanboys surrounding recent acquisition/exclusivity deals... Not giving a fuck about console warring... Highly expectant for current/future hardware & software innovations across platforms... Being excited for the future of gaming in 2023 and beyond: Starfield, Redfall, SF6, RE4, ZeldaToTK, FFXVI, Spidey2, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldur's Gate, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake II, SW:Jedi Survivor... and SO MUCH MORE??!!
mIke74F.gif

SO FUCKING AMPED!!! It's awesome being a gamer! Can't imagine secluding & limiting yourself from the good stuff cuz of fanboyism! We eating good my bros! All Hail Neutral Gaming!!!
fqTdJIe.gif

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I definitely have a biased in favor of Xbox and Nintendo. But that doesn’t mean I’m anti-PlayStation. I’m not like my previous post in this thread. I want what I like to succeed. I’m not rooting for PlayStation to fail.

Competition is great. Without it, we wouldn’t have game pass.

Rubicaant

I remember console wars being real when i was a kid. Because i was only getting one system, so my choice had the be the right one and every else was dumb. Now i'm an adult and i buy all the systems.

P.S. PCMR for life

fart town usa

Gold Member
I do prefer Playstation over XBOX but I have no issue with XBOX consoles. I just like the dualshock design better than the xbox controller, that's really what it comes down to for me. All my friends play on PS as well.

That being said, I've been going hard on some Wii U and it feels amazing. Frigging love this console.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't care, no one does in the real world. I've never met a single soul in real life that cares about such things.
Just get what you want on the platform you want and enjoy.
Man, when I was in the Navy there was this guy lived down the hall from me. Nice guy, kind of had an ego but still fun enough to be around. He used to try so hard to bait me into 360 vs PS3 type stuff. "Yo man, I picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 and it just plays so much better than the PS3 version...." Actual quote from said guy. It was just weird, like he was just itching to have a real life argument over consoles, lol.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Man, when I was in the Navy there was this guy lived down the hall from me. Nice guy, kind of had an ego but still fun enough to be around. He used to try so hard to bait me into 360 vs PS3 type stuff. "Yo man, I picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 and it just plays so much better than the PS3 version...." Actual quote from said guy. It was just weird, like he was just itching to have a real life argument over consoles, lol.
Is he that guy who kept complaining about always online games being bad because sometimes people want to play on a submarine?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is he that guy who kept complaining about always online games being bad because sometimes people want to play on a submarine?
lol, nah. We were overseas but shore duty, Singapore. It was a blast, had all game regions available to me and got FF13 early cause they had the Japanese copy in stores when it first released. Fun times. EA would do crazy deals over there too, literally like buy 3 get 1 free, $60 total for all 4, and they were new games too. It's not like games as a whole were cheaper either, they're roughly the same price as NA. EA had some aggressive deals the whole time I was there. I got my Japanese Saturn w/ mod chip there too. Found it on a Singapore type Craigslist. Bought this guys whole collection for like $120 singapore dollars which was roughly $100 USD. Seriously the best game purchase of all time, it's still hooked up and runs like a dream. Poor guy said his girlfriend was making him sell it.

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

Last edited:
Fucking Facts Plus Tax!? I may have a heavy Bias towards Xbox because of personal reasons but i aint above calling them out on their Bullshit. I love Gamepass tho! One of the best values in gaming right now!!

I also love playstation as well because of their amazing exclusives and their free monthly games! I can't wait to get a PS5 after i get a Series X.

I also like seeing what Nintendo be doing but tbh, switch is not appealing to me at the moment and their online service is lacking despit it being 20 a year. Despite all of that they be making some really interesting and good games so hats off to em.

I also adore PC because it's what i mostly grew up with and how can you go wrong with free online, steam sales, mouse and keyboard being the standard, being able to play old games, emulators, free mods, and a shit ton of exclusives!

All in all it's wonderful being neutral!!!!! 😁

poodaddy

Gold Member
Fucking Facts Plus Tax!? I may have a heavy Bias towards Xbox because of personal reasons but i aint above calling them out on their Bullshit. I love Gamepass tho! One of the best values in gaming right now!!

I also love playstation as well because of their amazing exclusives and their free monthly games! I can't wait to get a PS5 after i get a Series X.

I also like seeing what Nintendo be doing but tbh, switch is not appealing to me at the moment and their online service is lacking despit it being 20 a year. Despite all of that they be making some really interesting and good games so hats off to em.

I also adore PC because it's what i mostly grew up with and how can you go wrong with free online, steam sales, mouse and keyboard being the standard, being able to play old games, emulators, free mods, and a shit ton of exclusives!

All in all it's wonderful being neutral!!!!! 😁

Andy Samberg Dancing GIF by The Lonely Island

mdkirby

I have a preference for Playstation and Nintendo but I play games from all console manufacturers. Why wouldn't I? I look forward to Starfield as much as Tears of the Kingdom or any PS first party. The reason I'm not particularly invested in Xbox is because I'm not too hot on some of their core franchises such as Halo, Gears of War and Forza plus I feel it's redundant having two consoles mostly doing the same stuff. But still, they've produced some of my favorite games this gen such as Ori 1 & 2 and Psychonauts 2.
Psychonaughts 2 was excellent...not sure id give credit to Microsoft for that tho lol, the game was a Multiplatform kickstarter project, and wasn't far off being done when they were purchased. They had to honour the Multiplatform release as it was required for backers of the kickstarter.

That and return to monkey island are the 2 best things ive played on games pass all year.

Most other stuff that I didn't already own or would rather play on playstation, and that looked interesting to me, I sadly found fairly meh. Had my fingers crossed for Somerville recently but it was a clunky frustrating mess. Hasn't really been any big budget first party games. Even halo Infinite, that I loved back in the OG and 360 days was very meh. Blasted through a bang average campaign/story in a weekend that I kept waiting to kick up a gear, and remind me of the excitement of old halo, and it finished like a damp squib. I left xbox for many years after having a 360, which started strong with a lot of great IP then just got worse and full of undelivered empty promises as they just recycled 'Forza halo gears' for a decade...Got the series X so I had something to play whilst the ps5 was being repaired (and knowing I'd want games from their acquisitions), but since then it still feels like endless empty promises of things to come. They own SO many studios that I keep thinking they MUST deliver at some point.

I really hope Starfield delivers...

mdkirby

It’s useless but it’s the same as cheering for your favorite sports club I guess.
There's some of that for sure. Tho there is more nuance as there are genuine differences in each platform, the experience, the controller and the type and quality of games, so its a bit more like preferring football vs American football if you want to compare it to sports.

There's also for those who own both systems often a preference due to the above, but also a desire for the one that is not your preference to just do and be better, and as a result appeal more to you, as at the end of the day you have both systems and you just want more excellent games to play that appeal to your tastes. If one is delivering that, and the other isn't, its perfectly fine to call out the one that isn't in the hope/desire that they will eventually deliver.

DavidGzz

At this point I've accepted that some are just poor and/or juveniles(at least mentally) and they are missing out. I had a great time with God of War this year and hopefully with Starfield next year. I also don't hate Blizzard and will enjoy Diablo 4 in 6 months. Life is good.

REDRZA MWS

Being able to respect, cheer and appreciate great games irregardless of platform... Playing on different gaming boxes & seeing the good in all coexisting... Never hard-line simping for any corporation... A cut above the ridiculous mental gymnastics of fanboys surrounding recent acquisition/exclusivity deals... Not giving a fuck about console warring... Highly expectant for current/future hardware & software innovations across platforms... Being excited for the future of gaming in 2023 and beyond: Starfield, Redfall, SF6, RE4, ZeldaToTK, FFXVI, Spidey2, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldur's Gate, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake II, SW:Jedi Survivor... and SO MUCH MORE??!!
mIke74F.gif

SO FUCKING AMPED!!! It's awesome being a gamer! Can't imagine secluding & limiting yourself from the good stuff cuz of fanboyism! We eating good my bros! All Hail Neutral Gaming!!!
Couldn’t have said it better myself brother. I’M A GAMER, live video games, could care less about platform or logo. Always been that way! We win because we enjoy ALL. Lets the console warriors keep bickering. I’ll buy and play what I want on whatever platform I want.

REDRZA MWS

There's some of that for sure. Tho there is more nuance as there are genuine differences in each platform, the experience, the controller and the type and quality of games, so its a bit more like preferring football vs American football if you want to compare it to sports.

There's also for those who own both systems often a preference due to the above, but also a desire for the one that is not your preference to just do and be better, and as a result appeal more to you, as at the end of the day you have both systems and you just want more excellent games to play that appeal to your tastes. If one is delivering that, and the other isn't, its perfectly fine to call out the one that isn't in the hope/desire that they will eventually deliver.
It’s nothing like sports. It’s video games. You load up a game you want to play, and you enjoy it. I want the Yankees to KILL the Red Sox. This is an apples and oranges analogy.

Batiman

Banned
It’s nothing like sports. It’s video games. You load up a game you want to play, and you enjoy it. I want the Yankees to KILL the Red Sox. This is an apples and oranges analogy.
Ya that point is just a stupid analogy to justify their childish behaviour

mdkirby

on a surface level perhaps not, but from a psychological group dynamics perspective the 'fandom' and 'group' behaviours are very similar. Amusingly the paper linked below actually specifically states the Red Sox in its title for its own analysis of the evolutionary reasons for these behaviours. It is a paper focused on 'sport' but in reading it there is obvious cross over to gaming, not to mention that gaming itself can be considered a sport, and has many actual sports games, and the same violent macho behaviour triggers that the study triggers as contributory.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ndom_as_a_Byproduct_of_Coalitional_Psychology

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Every fanboys will tell you they're neutral too, that's too easy... Personally I'm not gonna pretend i'm neutral, I'm just just against Microsoft becasue they have too much money and they proved with other sectors that they can and want monopoly, they are not sane for this industry.
Yeah, 20 years ago. By necessity they are a different company now. Same with Sony. In the mid 80's, their greed led them to make consumer electronics that were purposefully designed to fail after a few years. By necessity, they have changed and have become a brand that consumers van trust.

Every large company has been led astray by bad leadership in the past. New people are in place, we have to judge these new leaders by their actions and not the actions of their predecessors.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
The main problem for "neutral" gamers, at least for me, is time.

I got a Switch, a gaming PC with a 18 years old steam account, a PS5 (and a still working PS4), and an occulus quest 2. Oops also forgot my retro gaming Batocera machine with 70000+ games.

Although i still don't have a X-box i just don't have enough free time to play all the games on my backlog on all these devices.
I bought Cyberpunk 2077 on steam a month ago and only played the tutorial so far because i'm still trying to finish games on PC and PS5... There's a point where you can't add another system when you're overboard already.
So "neutral" is great but you still need to make choices as an adult with limited free time.

Last edited:

Drell

Yeah, 20 years ago. By necessity they are a different company now. Same with Sony. In the mid 80's, their greed led them to make consumer electronics that were purposefully designed to fail after a few years. By necessity, they have changed and have become a brand that consumers van trust.

Every large company has been led astray by bad leadership in the past. New people are in place, we have to judge these new leaders by their actions and not the actions of their predecessors.
Your words aren't meaningless for sure. I'd like to believe you but I can't believe that, in our corrupted ultra capitalist world, a huge corporation (be it Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Tencent, Embracer or even physical persons like the Prince of Saoudi Arabia) wouldn't want a monopoly over the sector it is in. The fact the Xbox brand became trusted is because they haven't been able to surpass sony or even nintendo in market share in the video game market.

As for Sony, I read what you say and I'll tell you Sony did a lot of shit and will continue doing so, Nintendo too. But they still don't have as much money as Microsoft and so they don't have the same power over this sector. And in the end, that's the only thing that matter to me: Having a big corporation with infinite money wanting to buy big publishers one after another is a real danger for the industry and I'll never support them just for this.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Your words aren't meaningless for sure. I'd like to believe you but I can't believe that, in our corrupted ultra capitalist world, a huge corporation (be it Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Tencent, Embracer or even physical persons like the Prince of Saoudi Arabia) wouldn't want a monopoly over the sector it is in. The fact the Xbox brand became trusted is because they haven't been able to surpass sony or even nintendo in market share in the video game market.

As for Sony, I read what you say and I'll tell you Sony did a lot of shit and will continue doing so, Nintendo too. But they still don't have as much money as Microsoft and so they don't have the same power over this sector. And in the end, that's the only thing that matter to me: Having a big corporation with infinite money wanting to buy big publishers one after another is a real danger for the industry and I'll never support them just for this.
I hear ya. Unchecked consolidation is probably a bad thing for sure. I just believe that Playstation's brand is synonymous with gaming and that MS stockpiling of key studios won't drastically hurt Sony. I believe Sony would adapt and continue to be the premier gaming producer in the industry. To be honest, in the short term at least, the absorption of studios by MS does nothing but benefit me.

This is all just my personal viewpoint and I respect your position, as it is quite possibly true. I just see it differently.

Top Bottom