• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feels fucking awesome being a neutral gamer

tommib

I have a preference for Playstation and Nintendo but I play games from all console manufacturers. Why wouldn't I? I look forward to Starfield as much as Tears of the Kingdom or any PS first party. The reason I'm not particularly invested in Xbox is because I'm not too hot on some of their core franchises such as Halo, Gears of War and Forza plus I feel it's redundant having two consoles mostly doing the same stuff. But still, they've produced some of my favorite games this gen such as Ori 1 & 2 and Psychonauts 2.
I used to be there but if I look at this year’s games, Microsoft is welcoming the games that I’m normally more interested in: Pentiment, Scorn, Immortality, Tunic, Norco, As Dusk Falls, Prodeus, Signalis, Vampire Survivors… These were all gamepass games and/or had some type of timed-exclusivity. I’m 100% burned out on the AAA Sony model after Ragnarok and would love to see Sony experiment more and give more light to other games. I need more Returnal-like games and I need to know Sony is interested in them. Microsoft at the moment seems much more open to this scenario.

If things continue like this, I might rebuy a Series S…

Oh No Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

Having said all of this, GT7 GOTY!

SJRB

Gold Member
You are either with us, or you are against us!

Live for something, or die for nothing!

I'm gonna give you a war you won't believe!!!

Signed,

the NeoGAF Google Stadia Hooligans

Last edited:
Fanboyism makes no sense and would not recommend anyone engage in it. However, if any (Sony, MS, whoever) is making any bad decisions (in my opinion) or wrong moves, you bet I will point it out. Also, sometimes, I have seen people calling valid criticism fanboyism which is also wrong.

Do not close your eyes to any corporations's stupid/ wrong/ lacking moves, but at the same time appreciate anything good they do. This is the healthy balance that pushes the medium forward.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I’m lucky enough to own lots of devices, other than a gaming PC. In order of current preference, I’d say:

1. PS5
2. Switch
3. iPad
4. Calculator
5. Xbox Series X
If you pay 10 bucks for the calculator app on Switch, you can ditch that old tech. 🤔😉

Favourite calculator cheat code:

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Never understood console wars.
Kinda made sense back in the day with Nintendo versus Sega, with one competing with the other to show who has the biggest dick. Marketing was all around this, and it was kinda fun. I mean, some games are better on one, others are better on the other... It was nice to see how a game worked on each machine, with different stuff because of the different hardware, and whole different games made by the same guys.

Things started to change with the PS2, Xbox and Game Cube, when a lot of games are on par for every console. XOne and PS4 put the final nail in and every third party game is now the same. Consoles are now just boxes that have more frames here or there. Nothing to really discuss.

Being able to respect, cheer and appreciate great games irregardless of platform... Playing on different gaming boxes & seeing the good in all coexisting... Never hard-line simping for any corporation... A cut above the ridiculous mental gymnastics of fanboys surrounding recent acquisition/exclusivity deals... Not giving a fuck about console warring... Highly expectant for current/future hardware & software innovations across platforms... Being excited for the future of gaming in 2023 and beyond: Starfield, Redfall, SF6, RE4, ZeldaToTK, FFXVI, Spidey2, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldur's Gate, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake II, SW:Jedi Survivor... and SO MUCH MORE??!!
mIke74F.gif

SO FUCKING AMPED!!! It's awesome being a gamer! Can't imagine secluding & limiting yourself from the good stuff cuz of fanboyism! We eating good my bros! All Hail Neutral Gaming!!!

denial at best, disingenuous at worst

Fanboyism makes no sense and would not recommend anyone engage in it. However, if any (Sony, MS, whoever) is making any bad decisions (in my opinion) or wrong moves, you bet I will point it out. Also, sometimes, I have seen people calling valid criticism fanboyism which is also wrong.

Do not close your eyes to any corporations's stupid/ wrong/ lacking moves, but at the same time appreciate anything good they do. This is the healthy balance that pushes the medium forward.
Yep, that's the downstream effect of fanboyism. It basically makes any discussion impossible. Because everyone is then suspected of being a fanboy, and everything is suspected of being said only to further fanboyism. It poisons all of it. It doesn't mean a normal person can't have opinions and be critical; they just should NOT be a fanatic that is incapable of acknowledging anything contrary to their team's position.

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
Personally I'm all for constant, unending war fuelled by every characteristic that makes us different from one another. One day planet earth will be barren of all life, burnt and scarred from persistent conflict. Apart from one distant hillside that inhabits a silhouette of the last human on earth, bruised and bloodied, clutching a gaming pc and their limited edition Death Stranding figurine. The Norman Reedus one, not the BB one.

Hohenheim

Amen to the first post here.
I have never, and will never limit my gaming opportunities in any way. Except when I was a kid and obviously could not pick and choose every platform and game I wanted.

I guess most "console warriors" are people who can't afford to have the opportunity to play every game, and need to reaffirm their choice of platform. I guess that's a natural reaction for many.
Having said that, after watching the awesome setups in the gaming gear-thread here, it doesn't seem like money is a issue for lots of folks here! So many awesome setups!

Maybe these strong feelings towards specific platforms often come to be because of nostalgia from the childhood. Like "Nintendo gave me my first awesome gaming memories, so I'll be theirs and only theirs forever"
I think those feelings are strong and very real for many people.

I find it a bit strange, but can totally understand that "logic" in a way. Although I personally cannot understand how someone can be a loyal "fan" of any platform in this business. As long as the game in front of me brings joy, the rest is mostly irrelevant for me.

Elbereth

Agreed.

It’s quite alright to have preferences, but I can’t for the life of me understand the psychology of a fanboy.

Play the games where they are if you are fortunate enough to do so.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Kinda made sense back in the day with Nintendo versus Sega, with one competing with the other to show who has the biggest dick. Marketing was all around this, and it was kinda fun. I mean, some games are better on one, others are better on the other... It was nice to see how a game worked on each machine, with different stuff because of the different hardware, and whole different games made by the same guys.

Things started to change with the PS2, Xbox and Game Cube, when a lot of games are on par for every console. XOne and PS4 put the final nail in and every third party game is now the same. Consoles are now just boxes that have more frames here or there. Nothing to really discuss.

I think it made sense back in the day because we were dumb immature kids that didn't know any better.

mxbison

Console fanboys (and now CEO fanboys wtf.....) are so dumb.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, etc. all pull so much bullshit on their customers...

Last edited:
Its called being rich. Much like rich people not caring about religions or other biases. Its only the poor that fight among eachother because they side towards what they are close to while the rich enjoys all the privileges, regardless.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Console fanboys (and now CEO fanboys wtf.....) are so dumb.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, etc. all pull so much bullshit on their customers...
I know, right? They keep selling us video games and we just keep buying them. Stupid companies!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Its called being rich. Much like rich people not caring about religions or other biases. Its only the poor that fight among eachother because they side towards what they are close to while the rich enjoys all the privileges, regardless.
I agree. The way to win the console wars is to just stop being poor.

I don't care, no one does in the real world. I've never met a single soul in real life that cares about such things.
Just get what you want on the platform you want and enjoy.

I can’t even imagine a grown ass adult that pay bills do what they do for a video game brand. I seen a poster on here use a whole stock market literally to give reasons to an argument, I’m sitting there like “my man we’re just pushing buttons on a fucking joystick”.

In my personal circle we talk our shit about other brands and what we like, but that’s it, not no 7 days a week going dumb hard in the trenches on some weirdo shit on the net. All of these video games are straight ass anyway, dudes look crazy.

GC_DALBEN

Yep, this month i played

Bloodborne
GOWragnarok
FH5
Control (EPIC)
HUNT (steam)

I wanted to play Calisto on PC, but the pc port is shit :(

All great game, unfortunately not everyone can do this here in Brasil, all consoles and games are expensive here :(, that leads to almost everyone here choosing only one platform.

Last edited:
Being able to respect, cheer and appreciate great games irregardless of platform.
I have little respect or appreciation for this generation. This is the suckiest suck fest since video gaming has been a concept.
I've got a Series X and a PS5 and a PC, I have the Switch and a Steam Deck. Everything SUCKS!
PS+ is a mirror of GAMEPASS and both are full of 8 bit pixel art garbage.
AAA games want to be nothing more than Hollywood Oscars.
NO FUN

mxbison

I know, right? They keep selling us video games and we just keep buying them. Stupid companies!

No stupid are just the people fighting over them.

I have a PS5, XSX, Switch, and gaming PC and enjoy all of them. Doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to fight for their honor lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have little respect or appreciation for this generation. This is the suckiest suck fest since video gaming has been a concept.
I've got a Series X and a PS5 and a PC, I have the Switch and a Steam Deck. Everything SUCKS!
PS+ is a mirror of GAMEPASS and both are full of 8 bit pixel art garbage.
AAA games want to be nothing more than Hollywood Oscars.
NO FUN
Imagine thinking this thing sucks:

ato8ei31sy4a1.gif

But yeah man, I agree with you on the other things, specially on the AAA matter. Thankfully, imo, indies and AA it's where it's at, and there's tons of that on PC... and also on consoles!
Who would have thought we'd get to see games like RimWorld, Factorio or even RTSs like Company of Heroes 3 being released on consoles? I don't, but I'm glad to.

Great! Now you don't have to play Sony games 4 years later when they are no longer relevant.
No longer relevant? Lmao dude, what are you on?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Being able to respect, cheer and appreciate great games irregardless of platform... Playing on different gaming boxes & seeing the good in all coexisting... Never hard-line simping for any corporation... A cut above the ridiculous mental gymnastics of fanboys surrounding recent acquisition/exclusivity deals... Not giving a fuck about console warring... Highly expectant for current/future hardware & software innovations across platforms... Being excited for the future of gaming in 2023 and beyond: Starfield, Redfall, SF6, RE4, ZeldaToTK, FFXVI, Spidey2, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldur's Gate, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake II, SW:Jedi Survivor... and SO MUCH MORE??!!
mIke74F.gif

SO FUCKING AMPED!!! It's awesome being a gamer! Can't imagine secluding & limiting yourself from the good stuff cuz of fanboyism! We eating good my bros! All Hail Neutral Gaming!!!

Don't worry as someone who owns everything you will be called a fanboy by everyone else when ever you dare to criticise a first party exclusive for being a bit shit somewhere despite your unique ability to form opinions while not restricted to a single platform.

You get used to the mute button that's for sure.
6aiVltA.jpg

There even in this thread, I assume getting angry about how much money you "wasted" buying the other platform.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
For real. Some of the posters here been fighting that console war for years and years. One of the most embarrassing traits someone can have.

Good news for their platform and they start cheering like they won something. Bad news about their platform and they jump to the rescue in defence.

Laughable

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Never understood console wars.
If you are of a certain age they were all in fun as they were face to face. Just passing the time during school at playtime.

Now I honestly don’t care what system people okay like what you like.

I do have a soft spot for Nintendo but I can play on anything if the games good.

Returnal on my Bro’s PS5 ohh that’s good.
Even mobile
Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
mIke74F.gif

So much this. The fact that I can choose to play God of War AND Gears of War is a win win in my book.

Caio

I never said that because it looks and sounds so obvious to me; but, Actually, there are many people who think differently, and they like console warfare. If it's just a bit, it can be funny, and popcorn time :D When it's too much, well, it can be disturbing.
I love both XBox and Playstation, and this will never change. I would like Nintendo to capture my attention again, but this cannot be a Switch2...

I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy... so I like to believe that the folks excluding themselves from the good stuff are doing it more because of a lack of resources and time to invest in managing multiple consoles.... the fanboyism is a crutch to justify their choice of one box over the others... for the average fanboy at least; as of course you still have the absolute fucking loons that live or die their platform of choice as if it's a religion.

If you can afford both the time and financial investment to be able to game on all platforms then that's great for you. Many, however, aren't in your position. But of course, that doesn't excuse them from resorting to platform wars to make them feel better about their purchase decision. But again, I blame the ridiculous most ardent platform loons for laying the narrative groundwork and influencing the more impressionable minds.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I head an All the Systems household, we have PS4/PS5, Series S, a gaming PC, two Switches and a Quest 2. All of them get played regularly. Raising my stepdaughter correctly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont even know what a nuetral gamer is. I dislike the new Sony, am ablivient towards Nintendo's bizarre gaming output and cant stand MS's empty promises. I find that Activision, EA, Ubisoft and even Take2 have been completely MIA these past few years and no one seems to be in a hurry to take advantage of these next gen consoles we paid so much money for. Why would any of this feel awesome?

I feel like this is the worst the industry has been in decades. i thought 2014 was bad but looking back at Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny, Dragon Age, Infamous, DriveClub, CoD Advanced Warfare and even AC Unity, im like at least those games tried to do something original. What did we get this year? By the numbers sequels in HFW, GOW, Dying Light, Plague's Tale, MW2, and well thats it. Elden Rings was by far the most ambitious and different game of the lot, but it didnt exactly click with me. Still 1 game trying to be different and pushing boundries is supposed to make me feel awesome?

People used to put such an emphasis on exclusives because while third party devs were fucking around chasing last gen audiences holding back games and developer's vision, first party would fund next gen only experiences that really pushed the bar. Of course, people went from neutral to team Sony last gen.

In conclusion, this is a bad time to be a gamer, period. If you were a sony fan because of their boundry pushing games then surely all these cross gen games arent your cup of tea. If you were a MS fan for the genre defining Gears, Halo and Fable then the latest entries have surely been a bit underwhlming. If you are a WRPG fan, what game came out this year that was as good as Mass effect, Fallout or Skyrim? if you were a JRPG fan, was xenoblade literally the only thing you wanted to play? If you are a Nintendo fan, where is Mario, Metroid and Zelda after 5 years? Souls fans be eating but what about everyone else?

I'd define it as someone who like videogames in general and doesn't give a fuck about companies, brands, CEOs, and so on.
I'd define as someone that's not a fundamentalist. I'm open to observing reality and changing my mind based on the output of everyone involved, and my opinions change based on that output - not based purely on loyalty or identity.
  • I loved PS4 last gen and skipped Xbox One.
  • I am a lot less into PS games this gen but still got a PS5 first. Got an Xbox S to try it after they had a great E3 and they convinced me it was appealing.
  • Got a Quest 2 after RE4 and the price made it look appealing.
  • Pretty much always liked Nintendo, but I didn't get a Wii until several years after it was out. Was happy with all their other systems.
  • Owned pretty much every old system ever released, and sold them eventually. Sega, 3DO, all of it but Jaguar.
My opinion may be positive or negative about certain companies, but it's not driven by irrational fundamentalist belief that's impervious to influence from reality. Basically just have an opinion and defend it with some semblance of rationality and fairness. That's it. Just don't be a psycho.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I have affinity for Nintendo, but I want to play good games, and I don't really care where I play them, as long as they are good.

lachesis

To me, fanboysim somewhat feels like being a sport fan. That some people hate their rival teams and their team supporters like no end - just because they grew up around that team's town or whatnot.
One can say that you like the sport, and indifferent of any teams as long as the match itself is good - but I think it's a human nature to root for something - and to certain extent, it could enrich your own experience.

I was once a big fan of this European soccer team, and disliked the arch rival with a passion (but nothing of mal-intent - when the other guys key player got injured, I felt bad for the injured player - but I would be lying if I didn't think that he won't be joining the upcoming derby match... a bit.) These days, I still root for the team, but have moved on further back and not follow the sport much. Either way enriched my life one way or another - that I had passion for the game, but a the same time when I stepped back - I had more time and things to do and think about.

So yeah. Fanboysim. I think it's just a misguided passion, that could happen to any one of us - and I don't really blame them being a fan, as long as one's being flat out rude and insulting, or I see some other mal-intent. I mean, one should be free of liking what they like the best with passion - more power to them, as long as you keep it to yourself, or at least be civil in public discourse, and recognize that the other side may have same passion.

In the end, we are all in here because we love video games. :) Shouldn't that be enough?

Top Bottom