• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feels like what happened with DmC and Devil May Cry 5 is totally unprecedented (i.e. a series being rebooted, only to be brought back)

kiphalfton

Felt like two universes crashed together, one where Devil May Cry got rebooted, and one where we got a new game in the series. Pretty much everybody was disappointed we'd never get another Devil May Cry sequentially titled entry in the series when DmC came out. Only for Devil May Cry 5 to come out of nowhere.

Has this ever happened with any other series? Feels like maybe Resident Evil to some extent with RE7 (until the very end of the game), but can't really think of any other games?

Kind of wish we had both mainline Devil May Cry games and DmC games coexisting.

Last edited:
Honestly I wish DmC had been allowed to have a more traditional looking Dante like was initially intended, and it was a prequel to DMC3. Instead it’s crappy version of the lore with laughably cringey socio-political commentary/satire, and it’s version of Dante and Vergil are terrible.

I did like some of the quips Dante made in the DLC though and the gameplay isn’t bad in the Definitive Edition, though the color coded enemies still suck.

Last edited:

Reallink

DmC was a MUCH better game for it's time (been a long time, no idea if it still holds up) than DMC5 is/was for its time. 5 easily has some of the worst Unity Store quality environments to ever appear in a AAA game. An unadulterated dumpster fire propped up almost entirely by its combat system, and I say almost because Vee is probably the worst playing game action game character in the past 20 years. DMC5 was a 6.5 head to toe.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I'm glad the mainline came back.
The level shifiting stuff in DmC was cool, but it was the only thing it did better, everything else was inferior.
Don't let me get started on those awful characters....

KàIRóS

I'm pretty sure Sega has silently rebooted Sonic like 5 times now.

With the worst offender being Sonic 2006 obviously

1YlO2i4.jpg

Banned
DmC was a MUCH better game for it's time (been a long time, no idea if it still holds up) than DMC5 is/was for its time. 5 easily has some of the worst Unity Store quality environments to ever appear in a AAA game. An unadulterated dumpster fire propped up almost entirely by its combat system, and I say almost because Vee is probably the worst playing game action game character in the past 20 years. DMC5 was a 6.5 head to toe.

DmC was 30fps and looked worse than DMC4.

proandrad

Honestly I wish DmC had been allowed to have a more traditional looking Dante like was initially intended, and it was a prequel to DMC3. Instead it’s crappy version of the lore with laughably cringey socio-political commentary/satire, and it’s version of Dante and Vergil are terrible.

I did like some of the quips Dante made in the DLC though and the gameplay isn’t bad in the Definitive Edition, though the color coded enemies still suck.

Wish they would just give us a dmc with dmc3 Dante.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Crash Bandicoot is a pretty good example of this. Really popular in the PS1 / PS2 era but then basically left to die with a bunch of terrible spin-offs and such.

Then Shawn Layden walked on stage in 2015 with a Crash Bandicoot t-shirt on. Then the first game showed up as a playable mini-game in Uncharted 4. Then it had it's first three games remastered for modern systems. Then we finally got Crash 4. What a wild ride.

They should have made DmC into a new IP, instead of trying to bastardize the main franchise, only to back-peddle years later.

DmC was the result of a very dark time in Capcom and Japan in general's AAA gaming industry, where virtually every 3rd party Japanese publisher seemed to collectively shit the bed and start farming out their legendary classic IPs to western studios because they inexplicably seemed to lose faith in their own country's ability to deliver great games.

It was so fucking bizarre. Like the execs at these Japanese publishers, all of a sudden seemed to convince themselves that all the greatest games in the history of gaming, made in Japan, with demonstrably global appeal, suddenly were worthless in the face of Call of Duty selling 10m units; and Japan suddenly needed to change what they'd been doing so successfully for decades prior in order to cater to the "western audience".

Meanwhile, everything else coming out of Japan, like Mangas, Anime, Hentai and JAV were doing fucking gangbusters in the west, and the wider global audiences were also lapping that shit up.

I've always wondered WTF happened back then to make so many heads of such huge global Japanese companies collectively shit the bed.

anthony2690

Banned
I like DMC5, but my god, the demo level is by far the best in the game.

I also really like DmC too.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I hate the fact that at times a games reputation is based on its console version . DmC was 30 fps because it had to run on 8 year old 7th gen consoles. Meanwhile it could run at 60 FPS on a toaster of a PC with an 8800GT.

DmC was a pretty good game. DMCV is overrated as fuck. They spent all the budget in cutscenes. And damn, the environments are ugly as hell. Felt like some stock assets put together. Capcom using RE Engine as a one size fits all solution really hurt the game.

And V... who the heck green lit that abomination?

Banned
I hate the fact that at times a games reputation is based on its console version . DmC was 30 fps because it had to run on 8 year old 7th gen consoles. Meanwhile it could run at 60 FPS on a toaster of a PC with an 8800GT.

these game had no issue running at 60fps:
515r+gUTa3L._SY445_.jpg
106587--bayonetta.png

now they didn't have perfect framerates, but then also neither did DmC
(also both of these are just better games even if we ignore the framerate)

back then, Bayonetta was the real Devil May Cry sequel, it was made by the people that worked at Capcom before and worked on DMC before.
it also builds directly upon the idea of mixing firearms and melee weapons DMC started with, and brought it to the next level where melee attacks and firearm attacks are more interconnected than ever

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Yeah, what happened with those environments? reminded me of Nier: Automata, no effort at all put into it.

But the worst offender was the moronic difficulty system that made you virtually invincible with endless continues. Combine that with how OG Dante had a move set that was fun but too powerful and V was a glorified auto-battler, and you get one uneven game.

Banned
I know one game series from the top of my head that had a similar situation, and that is Donkey Kong.

on SNES they started the Donkey Kong Country series, which got a sequel of sorts in the form of DK64, but from there there was a break... and they released this:
R.3b878be616d26de469e2b69dc8f34bfe

they ignored almost all the characters established before, concentrated entirely on DK alone with some completely new foes to beat.
the gameplay was also very different due to being based on the GC Bongo Controller.

and then, on Wii and later Wii U they finally made sequels to DK Country again, with all the familiar characters and gameplay.
so it is similar here, but not quite the same...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hated how Ninja Theory thought their Dante was superior. I remember that slide show that boasted about how “this is who Dante is and who he isn’t”(which was some gothic group of people). It was obvious which Dante fans preferred and which way we wanted the art direction to go. DmC had some good combat, but that was about it. Vergil’s Downfall was fun. Vergil’s playability in DMCV:SE makes DMCV a much better game in my opinion.

I feel like Final Fantasy goes through this when they can’t exactly get the series on it’s feet. It’ll go back to its roots. A series that we would probably see this again is the Capcom VS series where they’ve basically made it this Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy roster and what could possibly move it forward is to add some characters people really want to play again. I always felt like big game companies should consider this when they decide to make drastic changes to their IP’s. If their new ideas can’t sell, why not focus on what actually made people spend money on the franchise?

Last edited:

Valt7786

DMC5 definitely has its faults, mainly being V being shit to play as and the level design/structure being bland as balls. But DmC as a whole was a travesty.
But maaaan, the hype level when that DMC5 reveal trailer played at E3, been a long time since i felt anything like that for a reveal. Was SO good.

Banned
Hopefully it happens with Tomb Raider too

honestly, with Embracer Group now owning them I could see it. a big focus for them is bringing back classic franchises, and a sequel to TR Underworld would be hype as fuck if done correctly

simply having a trailer with classic Lara, her round glasses and dual pistols would be a great trailer moment

I mean, they made 2 remakes of Destroy all Humans, who would've seen that coming?

and apparently they sold well enough for them to actually remake the second one as well and didn't stop after the first. so they seem to have success with their model

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
DmC just needed to not be called DmC and it could have stood on it own, it wasnt a bad game, just a bad Devil May Cry.
Id have loved a sequel.

Belthazar

simply having a trailer with classic Lara, her round glasses and dual pistols would be a great trailer moment

That alone would make it go to the top of my list of most anticipated titles. They don't need to do anything else, just show me the actual Lara Croft again.

and apparently they sold well enough for them to actually remake the second one as well and didn't stop after the first. so they seem to have success with their model

The first one is such a blast to play, hopefully they nail the second one too. Great franchise all around.

Astral Dog

something similar happened with Castlevania, but it only properly returned as a TV series and a spiritual successor. Its more common on TV/Movies for this to happen since most game series are long running.

Devil May Cry should never been rebooted in the first place, what a waste

Last edited:

Furball

DmC has better stage ,level and environment design since 1. DMC5 outside of combat , nothing really fun , just combat simulator

Last edited:
DmC should have kept British Dante from the very first teaser. That way the regular DMC can have American Dante and DmC could have been a series with it's own British flair and timeline. Trying to oddly fit it as a pseudo-prequel into the regular DMC lore was an odd decision.

decisions

DMC5 definitely has its faults, mainly being V being shit to play as and the level design/structure being bland as balls. But DmC as a whole was a travesty.
But maaaan, the hype level when that DMC5 reveal trailer played at E3, been a long time since i felt anything like that for a reveal. Was SO good.
100% this.

V sucks ass and I find it hard to replay the game because of his levels, but DmC was just an unprovoked attempt to piss off the fanbase that understood nothing about the original game’s tone or style. And the combat was way worse than 3 and 4.

Fredrik

I don’t understand why they aren’t just putting the old IP on hiatus and make a new IP if they want to change things so much. Even when the games are great there are fans that think the IP has been destroyed. Happened with Zelda BOTW, God of War, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy. Is it really that much of a risk starting a new IP that it’s better to possibly ruin the heritage of a big existing IP?

mcjmetroid

As a big fan of games like Bayonetta and such I decided to give DMCV a go as my first DMC and really.. I don't get it.

This was what people were going crazy for? Highly overrated.

ParaSeoul

DmC would have been fine if it wasn't called DmC. People loved Stranger of Paradise so a game like that could have worked.

The Skull

DmC was ok and the TV boss was actually pretty fun/unique but let's not kid ourselves, it pales in comparison to DMC 5.

Allandor

Just replayed the original DmC (ok... the reamstered in the DmC Collection for xb1). It is still a good game (for it's time) and still fun to play. Never liked the reboot or DMC4. Don't know why. The old entries can still get my attention, but the new parts ... not really.

Spaceman292

Banned
How is it possble for a human being to be so wrong?

Gojiira

Are you for real? DMC 3 was a technically, mechanically and visually more accomplished than DmC, and that was a PS2 game. So no DmC was not a ‘much better game for its time’, Shallow combat, lower framerate, godawful control system, colour coded babies first action game enemies, oh and asset flipped Unreal Engine levels and enemy design.
You can say what you want about 5 but its still probably the best gameplay in the series. Still leagues ahead of DmC and if its only a asset flip itself, then kindly show where on the Unity store I can find the photogrammetry based models and the RE engine. Please, I’ll wait…

Gojiira

As a big fan of games like Bayonetta and such I decided to give DMCV a go as my first DMC and really.. I don't get it.

This was what people were going crazy for? Highly overrated.
Sounds like a you problem tbh, starting at the 5th entry rather than playing the easily accessible HD trilogy.
If you dont get why fans love it, well clearly character action games arent for you

Kssio_Aug

I'm not sure if it was a good thing for DMC since 5 has the most terrible level design in the entire franchise (including DmC) and that stupid inclusion of V as a playable character. The change of art direction also was terrible, and although people criticize DmC, it seems DMC 5 inspired it's look exactly on it.

Camreezie

DmC was completely fine , it came after a 5 year gap and should have been a side game. If it was in universe and not a reboot it would have not got the reception it did.

Neff

Feels like maybe Resident Evil to some extent with RE7

RE7 was a stark change in direction but it remains canon. DmC was never canon within the established DMC series.

DmC was a MUCH better game for it's time (been a long time, no idea if it still holds up) than DMC5 is/was for its time.

I hate myself for saying so because Ninja Theory are pricks, but I have to agree with this. DmC had actual level design and it felt fresh and new. The vastly improved DE never managed to remove itself from the stigma of the original 2013 release and remains a competent, underrated brawler. DMC5 was basically a soulless victory lap repeat of DMC4. A good game, but unworthy of the build-up and legacy.

Pedro Motta

I guess I'm one of the few Devil May Cry 3/4 fans that really liked DmC. I understand the people that don't like it, but I think it was a really solid game with really solid story beats.

Oh and Lilith's club is one of the best level in a Devil may Cry ever.

This track is pure fire.

Top Bottom