• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fellow home theater gamers, I need your help. PS5 audio delay when using Dolby audio format

Long story short, I recently got a 5.1 home theater to use it while I'm playing but I ran into an issue where there's like a half second audio delay when Dolby Audio Format is selected. The setup is like this:
PS5 > TV > Home Theater (connected through HDMI ARC)

PS5 Audio Settings:
HDMI Device Type: AV Amplifier
Number of Channels: 5.1
Audio Format (Priority): Bitstream Dolby

TV Settings:
HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital

I had to change the Audio Format on the PS5 to Linear PCM to get the audio synced, and the TV automatically changes the Digital Output Audio format to PCM, but I'm just getting 2 channels instead of 5.

Any ideas on how to select Dolby and get rid of the delay?

GHG

Gold Member
What TV do you have?

Had the same issue and you need to change the TV settings to whichever one it is that simply passes the audio through to your sound system via arc without any additional processing.

Or, if its a possibility can you connect the PS5 directly to the 5.1 system?

nowhat

If you're using only regular ARC, you will not be able to get multichannel uncompressed audio (you need eARC for that). So that's why using linear PCM takes it down to two channels. And as noted above, try using passthru if such option exists.

Last edited:
If you connect it like PS5 > Home Theater > TV does it do anything?
Sadly I can't, the HT only has 1 Analog, 1 HDMI out and 1 Optical ports so I can't really connect the PS5.

What TV do you have?

Had the same issue and you need to change the TV settings to whichever one it is that simply passes the audio through to your sound system via arc without any additional processing.

Or, if its a possibility can you connect the PS5 directly to the 5.1 system?
It's a Samsung UN43NU6900, and the TV doesn't really give me the option to change the Audio Output to Passthrough or something similar so maybe this is it :messenger_crying:

If you're using only regular ARC, you will not be able to get multichannel uncompressed audio (you need eARC for that). So that's why using linear PCM takes it down to two channels. And as noted above, try using passthru if such option exists.
My TV doesn't give me that option :messenger_downcast_sweat: (unless is hidden somewhere in the settings)

My TV

On my TV, I have Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through.

You don't want the TV to do any kind of mixing or whatnot, you want the TV to pass the audio from the PS5 to the AV without it being manipulated. At least that is how I understand it.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, it seems that's the solution but my TV won't let me so it seems I'm fucked :messenger_crying:

Soodanim

If you can’t use the ARC port in the way I understand it to be intended (everything goes through the receiver into the TV), you might as well just use the TV’s optical output and have all TV audio output that way.

Or, if that’s disappointing, try and exchange the receiver (or whole set up, depending) for one that better matches your needs.

Good luck

Shmunter

It’s the same way I’m hooked up but are using DTS which gets passed through via ARC.

Using the tv speakers you don’t have a delay?

Mithos

It's a Samsung UN43NU6900, and the TV doesn't really give me the option to change the Audio Output to Passthrough or something similar so maybe this is it :messenger_crying:

My TV doesn't give me that option :messenger_downcast_sweat: (unless is hidden somewhere in the settings)

I have yet to look through the manual for your TV, however on my TV (Sony KDL-50w805b), I had to 100% disable the builtin speakers (menu option) before I could choose pass-through in the audio output setting.

Specifically on my TV the 2 key options where;

Speakers: Tv-Speakers or External Speakers (I had to set this to External)
Digital Output: Auto or PCM (This had to be Auto, or you just got 2 channel PCM stereo, since the Digital SPDIF output can only send 2 channel audio, thus it needs DOLBY/DTS audio feed or similar to be able to send over SPDIF)

Last edited:
I have a similar set-up but I'm using Bitstream DTS. If your receiver doesn't do HD audio formats then u better off using DTS Bitstream anyway. Also my TV (Xf9005) does have a delay option and so does my receiver ( Teufel Decoder Station). Dunno if that helps. Just my two cents.

kyliethicc

Long story short, I recently got a 5.1 home theater to use it while I'm playing but I ran into an issue where there's like a half second audio delay when Dolby Audio Format is selected. The setup is like this:
PS5 > TV > Home Theater (connected through HDMI ARC)

PS5 Audio Settings:
HDMI Device Type: AV Amplifier
Number of Channels: 5.1
Audio Format (Priority): Bitstream Dolby

TV Settings:
HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital

I had to change the Audio Format on the PS5 to Linear PCM to get the audio synced, and the TV automatically changes the Digital Output Audio format to PCM, but I'm just getting 2 channels instead of 5.

Any ideas on how to select Dolby and get rid of the delay?
Trust me, just use PCM its the same audio quality. Its just a difference in where the decoding is done.

Dolby makes the AVR do the decoding.
PCM makes the PS5 do the decoding.
Both work the same for games. You won't notice any difference in audio quality.

As for why its 2.0 vs 5.1, PCM can do up to 7.1 too, so I'd say check your AVR settings. Or check the source content.

Also, using ARC pass through can cause some latency and audio delay. Its a known issue, especially for 60 / 120 Hz sources.

Last edited:

Kerotan

So my friend has the Sony 55" x90j which supports hdmi 2.1 and eArc on one of the ports.

He also has a multi thousand euro sonos sound system but its the older play bar with an optical connection not the Sonos arc with an hdmi.

I know nothing about audio setups as I use headphones and he's in his 40's so isn't the most clued in either.

He was wondering what exactly is the point of eArc and how does it benefit either his sound system or ps5.

Does he need to upgrade to the sonos arc with it's newer technology and hdmi connection.

If so should the PS5 be plugged into ta hdmi port and the audio transfered via the eArc port to his newly upgraded Sonos Arc? I tried researching this but its hard to figure out.

Any help would be appreciated by him and the salesman he might potentially have to buy the new system off!

Top Bottom