• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

dity

People saying this are so ignorant. It's a recommendation because there are like 7 different groups running major smash tournaments and there is no central body. Think of it as if there were 7-10 different "EVOs". Smash is very grass roots even its major tournaments are grassroots events on their 7th year + running.

All these reactionist assholes saying ban smash from EVO need to get a clue.
Then you wait for other TOs to be get in on the discussion, all have a talk, and agree "we will all ban this person". It's not hard! Even that dude there making the statement says they were too hasty and didn't wait for more people to respond. They fucked up big time.

Rudiano

Banned
Ban him for life, and press sexual assault charges against him. That should be the appropriate action made right? I don't even see how there can be a debate about this at all.

The girl was his friend and chose not to press charges? she should have but probably had remorse for him as they were friends. He's banned for 1 year and there is nothing more to it, people need to move on

Negaduck

People saying this are so ignorant. It's a recommendation because there are like 7 different groups running major smash tournaments and there is no central body. Think of it as if there were 7-10 different "EVOs". Smash is very grass roots even its major tournaments are grassroots events on their 7th year + running.

All these reactionist assholes saying ban smash from EVO need to get a clue.

And that same grass roots growth is the same shit the rest of the FGC has gone through. We didn't get a statement saying 'we take zero tolerance with this. He's done with any event'. It's a one year ban recommendation. It's reactions to someone getting molested in their sleep. If you don't see how fucking serious of a thing that is, nothing anyone says will get through to you.

diaspora

The girl was his friend and chose not to press charges? she should have but probably had remorse for him as they were friends. He's banned for 1 year and there is nothing more to it, people need to move on

She didn't press charges because if she did she wasn't sure if her family would let her travel to EVO for her own safety, or something to that effect.

Her reasoning was that she didn't want her parents to know about it and prevent her from going to further tournaments. Pressing charges means they would find out.

Which should drive home that she is a scared kid who was assaulted and no one has her back.

Seiniyta

She's also scared of her parents finding out. it's why she didn't want to press charges. It's.... an pretty horrible situation. I totally get why she's not pressing charges. But on the other hand it's not helping her situation either and leaves Hyuga free.

Like, if charges were pressed I doubt he'd ever would be allowed back in the US at all.

Sami+

They didn't drop Marvel or SF for Noel pulling the same shit or Aris during the Cross Assault blow up.

Not sure why they would Smash when it brings the numbers it does.

Definately. EVO needs to lead this since I don't have any trust on this being properly handled with the gravity it deserves. EVO is the pivotal player. What are their statements on the matter? I assume they are taking a hands off approach while condemning the act?

And this begs the question, would the Melee community be involved in this? Probably not but they should also be an active player in this situation.

I love Smash and going to CEO was an amazing experience for sure. Would absolutely LOVE to go play at EVO, but even watching it is super fun. I think Smash 4 was wrongfully treated like a side event in spite of being the second biggest game on the roster, and think in the future it deserves better treatment.

And with all of that being said I agree with Boney on this particular issue. If Bear and the other fools running these events aren't going to be adults about this then maybe forcing their hand is the best solution. Take away the possibility of the glory of an EVO and CEO win alongside the $15k prize and I'm sure more top players will start piping up about taking this more seriously.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Her reasoning was that she didn't want her parents to know about it and prevent her from going to further tournaments. Pressing charges means they would find out.

Which should drive home that she is a scared kid who was assaulted and no one has her back.
I didn't know this, god that's sad. What a fucked up situation.

anothertech

What a clusterfck.

I mean, I know even the leadership of the organization aren't much more than a bunch of kids playing video games competitively, but dam.

Even a perma ban on the individual isn't enough really. They should institute a ban on any competitive group that allows him to participate.

The message here is just fcked.

gogosox82

Disgusting. Feel sorry for that poor girl. Hope she's able to not be scarred by this. Sounds like the guy is getting whats coming to him though.

Beth Cyra

I love Smash and going to CEO was an amazing experience for sure. Would absolutely LOVE to go play at EVO, but even watching it is super fun. I think Smash 4 was wrongfully treated like a side event in spite of being the second biggest game on the roster, and think in the future it deserves better treatment.

And with all of that being said I agree with Boney on this particular issue. If Bear and the other fools running these events aren't going to be adults about this then maybe forcing their hand is the best solution. Take away the possibility of the glory of an EVO and CEO win alongside the $15k prize and I'm sure more top players will start piping up about taking this more seriously.

I'm not against it and am much in the same mind they should. I just see them agreeing and actually doing it.

The severity of the punishment doesn't seem to give any room for redemption on a drunken mistake, if we believe in second chances and all that.

Here's my takeaway. Assuming you're an official governing group, you have to do something about this. Not that the NFL handled Ray Rice well, but when a video released of him punching his wife, you can't just defer to the criminal system and let them punish your athlete. The same standards apply here. If you don't have reason to doubt the validity of the account, I think it's perfectly fair to hand out bans whether they're temporary or permanent. You pretty much have to hand out your own brand of justice. This is their community. More importantly if you're a fan of competitive Smash, it's our community. Players and fans should feel safe. And it's not just about serving someone up as a sacrificial lamb, but it reflects poorly if the takeaway is just one of suggesting that criminal misconduct is for the court's to decide and our primary goal as TO's is just to let the players play the game. We need to do better than that.

Now does that mean that locking someone up (metaphorically speaking) and throwing away the key without possibility of redemption is the right method? Not necessarily. But above I was talking about an official regulatory body. Here we're talking about an informal body issuing a swift, partially emotional, non-binding recommendation. And if you're going to bother to do that at all then I think it's best to err on the side of being tough. This isn't a court of law with formal processes in place. If Hyuga seems truly repentant and the victim shows any indication of forgiveness, maybe you reevaluate a ban recommendation later. But there's no reason to be seem soft in my book in the immediate aftermath. If there's a formal process, then you probably have to let that play out. But there's not here. And a one-year ban as an emotional response to this doesn't set the right tone in my book for how important the safety of the community is. It really feels like a situation where people in leadership positions felt like they had to do something and just settled on something that sounds about right.

Recommending a lifetime ban might seem overly harsh to some, but again, I think if the aim is to set a tone you'd probably rather be initially harsh while possibly open to reevaluate later as opposed to wishy-washy with a measly one year ban recommendation.

If they don't have the authority to enforce a ban on every tournament, why don't they just make it lifelong? Why not send that message that this shit won't be tolerated and anyone who does is a pariah?

kpeezy

Banned
I seriously don't understand why people are saying they should remove smash from EVO, it makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Noirulus

Wtf lmao. The guy who molested her was kicked out of the room the same night it happened because her other friends were also sleeping in the room and heard some commotion and realized what happened. The next day (and ever since) there is a huge outpouring of support for her from the smash community and the gaming community in general. Also any fans the guy had are all lost.

MrS

Banned
This Bear character and the Smash community sound fucking useless. Tournament organisers and sponsors need to come out and say the offender is not welcome at their events indefinitely.

Sami+

Wow. This news is everywhere now, her family needs to be notified of this then

Yeah dude fuck her and what she wants right?

She was molested and specifically said she doesn't want to press charges because she doesn't want her parents to know

BETTER GO TELL HER PARENTS

aeolist

Banned
I seriously don't understand why people are saying they should remove smash from EVO, it makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

if the smash community is unwilling to properly deal with a situation like this why would you want your tournament to accept the pros and TOs who let it slide?

Wtf lmao. The guy who molested her was kicked out of the room the same night it happened because her other friends were also sleeping in the room and heard some commotion and realized what happened. The next day (and ever since) there is a huge outpouring of support for her from the smash community and the gaming community in general. Also any fans the guy had are all lost.

By "no one," I meant the organizers.

Rudiano

Banned
I mean that's what she wants to avoid in the first place.

something something not a bad guy

Surely pressing charges against someone who molested her is more important then attending future EVO events. Hopefully someone breaks the news to her parents, for her own safety

aeolist

Banned

She was molested and specifically said she doesn't want to press charges because she doesn't want her parents to know

yeah i mean it's not like parents ever react inappropriately when their daughters are assaulted... wait

diaspora

Surely pressing charges against someone who molested her is more important then attending future EVO events. Hopefully someone breaks the news to her parents, for her own safety

That's ultimately up to her. I think it would be better if she did report it but I'd leave the decision to her. Either way, you'd think the Smash organizers would implement a zero-tolerance and perma-ban policy specifically to help with safety issues but...

You mean EVO? It didn't happen in the venue, it happened in the hotel so I assume that's why they don't want to get involved in the situation and are letting the Smash community handle it.

"handle" lol

Rudiano

Banned

Oh right, then there is no need for this discussion to be 31 pages long already. I already said earlier she chose not to press charges and people should move on

Objectively, maybe. But if you're worried that you're never going to see your friends again and can't go traveling with your boyfriend because someone attacked you, then your priority list is probably in a haze right now.

It's her choice.

Sure, she might be safer if her parents locked her in her room for the rest of her life, but Smash is important to her and she shouldn't have to give that up because some asshole attacked her.

Dremark

Banned
smash won't do it (recommendation, fucking hell)

They aren't I'm any sort of position of power to implement or enforce a ban. It's up to the individual TOs so you can't really blame them for that.

What you can blame them for is the recommendation being patheticly weak.

[/LIST]
Reasons to not perma ban:
  1. not thinking sexually assaulting someone twice is a that big of a deal

That's a bit slanted.

I can see merit to an argument that people can change, rehabilitate and reform. Realistically speaking if he had committed second degree murder I believe in some areas of the US the minimum mandatory sentence can be as low as 4 years in prison.

If someone argued that something like a 7 year ban with a reevaluation after it would be more appropriate I would see it as a valid argument and feel that they were taking the offense seriously.

Having said that, I wouldn't agree with it, I personally think he should be banned for life.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You mean EVO? It didn't happen in the venue, it happened in the hotel so I assume that's why they don't want to get involved in the situation and are letting the Smash community handle it.
No, not Evo. Smash TOs and organizers are being incredibly wish-washy about this. See the twitlonger here

Sami+

Oh right, then there is no need for this discussion to be 31 pages long already. I already said earlier she chose not to press charges and people should move on

People will keep talking about this until the proper actions have been taken by the community.

If you don't want to talk about it then fucking leave.

If you don't want to talk about this then your welcome to leave this thread. This is a thread about this situation.

Dremark

Banned
Wait, wait wait...

Sexual assault only warrants a ONE YEAR BAN FROM EVO? What the FUCK?!

As far as I know EVO hasn't issued a statement yet. I expect him to be banned for life.

The one year thing is a recommendation from a group of tournament organizers on a Facebook group or something along those lines.

guek

Banned
If Bear and the other fools running these events aren't going to be adults about this then maybe forcing their hand is the best solution. Take away the possibility of the glory of an EVO and CEO win alongside the $15k prize and I'm sure more top players will start piping up about taking this more seriously.

-->
guek said:
I really do think gaf should start a Twitter campaign. At least try to prevent them from sweeping this under the rug.

I'd make a thread for it myself but I'm stuck on my phone.

#evobanhyuga

#smash4safety

#fgcdeservesbetter

diaspora

That's a bit slanted.

I can see merit to an argument that people can change, rehabilitate and reform. Realistically speaking if he had committed second degree murder I believe in some areas of the US the minimum mandatory sentence can be as low as 4 years in prison.

If someone argued that something like a 7 year ban with a reevaluation after it would be more appropriate I would see it as a valid argument and feel that they were taking the offense seriously.

Having said that, I wouldn't agree with it, I personally think he should be banned for life.
Prison isn't a ban from playing video games with other people. A perma ban doesn't carry the same severity as... any sentence for any length of time for sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom