• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I originally wanted to say "I can't believe a "professional" fighting game organizing comittee will rather protect a guy who literally tried to rape a female attendant than to protect her and all female attendants of guys like this", but then I realized I didn't actually expect otherwise.

Man, this is sad, and so are some posts in this thread.

BajiBoxer

Banned
You guys are truly sad. I'm saying the Smash TOs tried to make the best recommendation they could, they looked to organizing bodies for other sports and made a recommendation slightly stricter than the strictest penalty they found. I think they tried their best and somehow you think that makes me a "molestation apologist." That's sad, you judge with too little information.
Go fuck yourself. You called a guy starting to force himself on a woman trying to sleep the most mild form of sexual harassment. You ARE a sexual assault apologist.

diaspora

How is that different? Just cuz the money is better? Competitive smash is a source of revenue for some people and a total ban could put them back at square one of their life.
Which... is fine. It's a pretty easy and acceptable trade to get player safety and security in return.

I'd also honestly like some clarification on the legal definition of "groping." When I hear that word, I'm thinking something more like grabbing someone's ass or breast (be it over or under cloths). I don't really see that it applies to sticking one's hands down another girl's pants, but my search for a clear legal definition of what constitutes groping isn't giving me a clear answer.

Exactly! This one year ban was based on Noel Brown's one year ban after he was caught on stream at Combo Breaker touching a woman's butt. There's a massive difference between doing that and putting your hand up someone's top and down their pants.

Negaduck

The point everyone is trying to make is that one year for molestation is like a slap on the wrist. It doesn't matter if Nevada says it's not bad. It doesn't matter if sports says it's not that bad.

We as a community are saying we want zero tolerance with that sort of garbage and feel so strongly that some of us don't want a game or community that associates with said individual to be around us.

Regardless of the fine, she will have to live with the fact that she was molested. She will feel different traveling for video games now knowing what happened, it fucking sucks.

We as a people and community are saying that is unacceptable behavior in any manner regardless of what state laws or sports choose to do.

Don't downplay the act of what happened. It was terrible and nothing even in the realm of that should be happening in our community and when it's brought to the forefront it should be stomped out immediately. People need to feel safe going to these events or participating in the FGC as a whole and all its subsets.

aeolist

Banned
How is that different? Just cuz the money is better? Competitive smash is a source of revenue for some people and a total ban could put them back at square one of their life.

money, complex contracts, lawyers, etc

plus the fact that organized sports have governing bodies who can actually levy punishments and formal processes for dealing with this, and given the higher profile of athletes there's a much larger chance that they'll actually face criminal and civil consequences

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yes, my point was that it is classified separately in the court of law. It is viewed with increased leniency in US law. That is simply a fact.
No one gives a damn about your fucking stupid interpretation of the law. Unless you are a Nevada cop/lawyer and she's pressing charges, it's completely irrelevant.

Gestault

I'd also honestly like some clarification on the legal definition of "groping." When I hear that word, I'm thinking something more like grabbing someone's ass or breast (be it over or under cloths). I don't really see that it applies to sticking one's hands down another girl's pants, but my search for a clear legal definition of what constitutes groping isn't giving me a clear answer.

I was trying to get some information on this for Nevada as well. I've been aware of some New York State statutes that specifically define groping as non-invasive touching (meaning if you remove/bypass clothing for direct genital contact, it's no longer groping). I have no idea how that's defined in Nevada. And this is looking at the situation assuming that no penetration was involved (which I have no interest in making assumptions about).

diaspora

The point everyone is trying to make is that one year for molestation is like a slap on the wrist. It doesn't matter if Nevada says it's not bad. It doesn't matter if sports says it's not that bad.

We as a community are saying we want zero tolerance with that sort of garbage and feel so strongly that some of us don't want a game or community that associates with said individual to be around us.

Regardless of the fine, she will have to live with the fact that she was molested. She will not feel different traveling for video games now knowing what happened

We as a people and community are saying that is unacceptable behavior in any manner regardless of what state laws or sports choose to do.

Don't downplay the act of what happened. It was terrible and nothing even in the realm of that should be happening in our community and when it's brought to the forefront it should be stomped out immediately. People need to feel safe going to these events or participating in the FGC as a whole and all its subsets.
This. And it's precisely why people are raking the Smash organizers over the coals for this. They could have done better, they should have done better, they didn't in the end.

Makikou

No one gives a damn about your fucking stupid interpretation of the law. Unless you are a Nevada cop/lawyer and she's pressing charges, it's completely irrelevant.

No it isn't. People seem to think this guy should go to jail for 10 years for this shit but no, law doesn't work that way.

In other thoughts, I wonder what people in this thread might think if a woman did this to a man.

Edit: I obviously do not approve what the guy did. But I bet i'm going to get attacked for this anyway.

Kthulhu

Which... is fine. It's a pretty easy and acceptable trade to get player safety and security in return.
If he was rehabilitated and put on a sex offender list I'm pretty sure he's fine. Unless you have some statistic showing that former rapists are repeat offenders, I think it's excessive punishment. If the man's safe enough to go out into society and get a normal job then I'm sure he's fine to play video games for a living.

Sami+

You guys are truly sad. I'm saying the Smash TOs tried to make the best recommendation they could, they looked to organizing bodies for other sports and made a recommendation slightly stricter than the strictest penalty they found. I think they tried their best and somehow you think that makes me a "molestation apologist." That's sad, you judge with too little information.

You can call me whatever you want. I have much stronger words for you but I'm holding back in the interest of the rules here.

I stand by what I said. Your downplaying of what happened is abhorrent.

guek

Banned
Yes, my point was that it is classified separately in the court of law. It is viewed with increased leniency in Nevada state law. That is simply a fact.
This wasn't groping, how many fucking times do people have to point it out to you for you to get it. Get it together.

Crosseyes

Banned
Quit being salty af, brah.
Fighting game communities always deliver when it comes to the misogyny and harassment. If they're trying to clean up their image responses like this show that they still care more about keeping their core base that would defend the behavior than take a hard line on making this stuff unacceptable and try to create a better atmosphere for women at events.

diaspora

If he was rehabilitated and put on a sex offender list I'm pretty sure he's fine. Unless you have some statistic showing that former rapists are repeat offenders, I think it's excessive punishment. If the man's safe enough to go out into society and get a normal job then I'm sure he's fine to play video games for a living.
This didn't happen though. All that's happened is that he's blamed alcohol for his sexual assault and fucked off with no legal consequences. They could have established an indefinite ban and should have but didn't.

Kthulhu

This didn't happen though. All that's happened is that he's blamed alcohol for his sexual assault and fucked off with no legal consequences. They could have established an indefinite ban and should have but didn't.

Then I take back what I said. I assumed he was being charged after they said they filed a police report.

In the event someone actually goes to jail I think a lifetime ban is excessive.

Just FYI, if he was put on a sex offender list, he wouldn't be able to really compete any more anyway. He wouldn't be allowed to enter the US.

diaspora

No it isn't. People seem to think this guy should go to jail for 10 years for this shit but no, law doesn't work that way.

In other thoughts, I wonder what people in this thread might think if a woman did this to a man.

Edit: I obviously do not approve what the guy did. But I bet i'm going to get attacked for this anyway.
I also wonder what would happen if a goat molested a cow.

aeolist

Banned
the legality and criminal consequences of any of this do not matter at all to the conversation about tournament bans. it is 100% irrelevant.

smash tournaments are private events that can ban anyone for any reason. they should be banning this dude because he assaulted someone. it's that simple.

NeOak

Do you crusaders know the punishment for sexual assault first offense in any other competition in the United States? 1 year first offense is very strict by comparison. Let alone the punishment in the court of law, a fine and registered as a sex offender, no jailtime. This was the absolute most mild form of sexual harassment out there and it is specifically given lower punishments in the courts compared to sexual assault involving penetration, etc.

Congrats, you are now featured in the GAF Shitposts twitter!

https://twitter.com/GAF_Shitposts/status/755498241924304896

Did I say it wasn't terrible? Pretty sure I didn't. Did I say he should get a free pass? Nope. Seems like you need to reread the last page or two.

You made the point of calling it the most mild form of sexual assault - all the while ignoring that it wasn't mild because he showed restraint, it was mild because people stopped him in time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

What are you suggesting they might think? Are you trying to turn this into some weird Men's rights thing? Do you have a point with this? I don't follow.

anothertech

Did I say it wasn't terrible? Pretty sure I didn't. Did I say he should get a free pass? Nope. Seems like you need to reread the last page or two.
You are downplaying a horrific situation using faulty logic and examples that are far from the scope of this situation, in the hopes of making EVO and the perpetrator look better.

Much like the disgusting use of law and loophole used by every celebrity attorney, you will be shat upon for this. And rightfully so IMO.

Just because one group downplays the gravity of a situation like this, doesn't mean it's right. Major Sports leagues are the last place you should look for moral compass in a situation like this. They are corrupt beyond all hope. EVO leadership however is not. They have the chance to do the right thing here.

And they aren't.

RMI

Banned

because nobody is asking for this guy to go to Jail for any length of time. Numerous people are sympathetic to the victim's reasons for not wanting to press charges. All anybody wants in terms of punishment is for this guy to be banned from future events. Any comparison to potential legal consequences are only to show how insignificant the suggested temporary ban is.

GamerJM

Banned
Reading the twitlogger Vikki made my stomach curl up and feel sick. I hope this gets addressed at future events, and I hope more women can feel safe. Smash event are awesome and I'd love for them to be inclusive to everyone, and I'm ashamed to be apart of a community where stuff like this can go unnoticed.

Initially I thought that maybe it should just be a few years longer with required therapy, but after reading some of the posts in this topic and thinking more about the situation I think it should most likely be permanent. I really do wish legal systems were a lot better though. For one, sexual assault goes unpunished way, way too frequently, which is both abhorrent and scary. And also I still really dislike how the legal system seems like it's built upon punishment over rehabilitation. I feel like this is really the core issue with how anyone from thieves to sex offenders to murders are treated. I try to have some level of empathy for every human being, and I believe everyone can become rehabilitated, so the fact that criminals are basically forced into a really shitty life that can at times reinforce negative behaviors is just scary. I don't think this is a problem inherent to sex offenders but rather a problem with how most of the world legally views crime.

I guess I'm getting off topic though. I think by far the most important thing is that women in gaming communities can feel safe. It's awful that they can't feel safe, and I can't imagine what it would be like to not feel safe to even be with my friends.

diaspora

the legality and criminal consequences of any of this do not matter at all to the conversation about tournament bans. it is 100% irrelevant.

smash tournaments are private events that can ban anyone for any reason. they should be banning this dude because he assaulted someone. it's that simple.
This. It's a red herring, the guy sexually assaulted someone, there's no legitimate argument against having the organisation bam hook for life for physically, sexually assaulting a fellow participant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom