• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist Frequency and the Truth About Video Games

Lupingosei

Banned
https://areomagazine.com/2018/08/30/feminist-frequency-and-the-truth-about-video-games/

There are some interesting topics in this article. For example the research part.

That’s a great suggestion, except it’s not clear that Feminist Frequency is aware that this research does not always support their larger narrative.

Activist groups selectively citing research is hardly an issue unique to Feminist Frequency. Anti-media advocacy groups have always historically distorted and exaggerated the evidence for the impact of media on behavior.

or

Many films and essays that highlight the supposed oppressive evils of the entertainment industry do so by failing to inform viewers or readers of research that might provoke a more nuanced rather than alarmist view.

To be fair, Feminist Frequency typically endorses a more cautious view of media effects than some. For instance, in the second installment of Tropes vs Women, Sarkeesian explicitly rejects a “monkey see/monkey do” vision of media effects (which, by contrast, appears to be the version of media effects endorsed by the AAP and APA.) However, she does speak to media as having a “powerful cultivation effect” on cultural attitudes and opinions such as on issues related to sexism and violence toward women.

This can, at times, feel a bit like having one’s cake and eating it too. Linking violent video games to violence in society can feel like a simplified, rubbish belief, but it’s one that can be tested. Indeed, the very fact it has been proven untrue, has led to significant changes in how our society has come to view video game violence, with increasingly greater reluctance to blame mass shootings and other violence on games. But focusing on difficult to measure attitudes and beliefs, particularly when tied to historical culture, tends to produce great talking points, but less clear data.

Demonstrating cultivation from playing video games has specifically not fared well. One recent study found that playing militaristic games did not, in fact, cultivate militaristic attitudes. Research by the same group found that playing video games with potentially sexist content did not result in sexist attitudes among gamers three years later. One Italian study initially suggested playing Grand Theft Auto might be associated with decreased empathy for women among players, but a reanalysis of this data, conducted by psychologist Brent Donnellan and myself, revealed the conclusions to have been flawed, with little actual evidence for cultivation beliefs. Another study suggested that exposure to Grand Theft Auto might actually reduce rape myth acceptance in players. None of this is to suggest that the evidence either for or against effects is unequivocal. Some studies do suggest cultivation beliefs, although debate regarding the methodological validity of many studies both for and against cultivation continues. In a follow up to our reanalysis of the Italian study, we discuss some of the evidence both for and against effects. But presenting cultivation effects as an established truth rather than a point of debate is deeply misleading.

And then he mentions ResetEra (no, not really, but he brings up a very important point)

Activist groups often seem to have an unavoidable urge to overplay their hands, to lurch from good-faith appeals to our better natures into hyperbolic claims of urgency, and an inability to acknowledge a win and celebrate it. In failing to remain balanced, advocacy efforts can often implode under their most extreme voices and give credibility to the very backlashes they warn of.

It is an interesting article and it is funny to see how he has to walk on eggshells because he knows what would happen, if he would criticize them too much.

But at one point he is wrong

Failing to do so can make a good cause seem like a grinding stream of criticism, increasingly focused on pickier critiques and more rigid goals. Or, put another way, Feminist Frequency were right to call for more strong female characters, but the world is big enough for both Horizon Zero Dawn and Grand Theft Auto.

The ultimate goal is to make games like Grand Theft Auto to go away. Look at Dead or Alive, Doom or the articles about Senran Kagura. The want those games to go away, which will lead to the backlash against the whole movement even from people not involved with Gamergate or similar movements.

Last edited:
I would love to see the real stats which break down the demographic percentages of who actually plays games. If you include mobile then I am sure it can be made to look like an even split. But actual core gaming on console or PC I bet is dominated by male consumers who have no interest in these radical feminist narratives.

Lupingosei

Banned
I would love to see the real stats which break down the demographic percentages of who actually plays games. If you include mobile then I am sure it can be made to look like an even split. But actual core gaming on console or PC I bet is dominated by male consumers who have no interest in these radical feminist narratives.

The already did that. In genres like fps or sports games core gamers are 78 to 90% male. They have to include mobile games into the numbers, else the message would not work as well.

Grinchy

Banned

Early into the Nintendo Switch's lifespan, I remember these stats being posted:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...ook-and-user-age-gender-demographics.1365859/

Something about how 90% of Switch gamers were male. It was based on surveys completed by more than 28,000 email recipients. If even the Nintendo Switch is anywhere near 90% male-dominated, just imagine Xbox, Playstation, and PC.

ILLtown

Here's some data from Quantic Foundry, who surveyed 270,000 gamers last year about the genres they play: -

jyglFGO.jpg

Harlock

That ESA report always leave out the gender breakdown by platform. In the end, this is worse for women, because some devs, without information, can imagine that almost 0% women will play a type of game, when the real number can be 10-20%. But if a number is not close to 50/50, hide!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It'll always be a male dominated hobby. Certain people would have you believe the genders are not predisposed and naturally attracted to certain activities, which is just horse shit. This is no more evident than in progressive countries with what you might call "greater gender equality" - males still largely dominate STEM fields, even though females have just as much access. It's the same in gaming and will never, ever change, nor should it. There's nothing wrong with it being a male dominated hobby, the problem is males who have a chip on their shoulder with female participants.

Geki-D

Banned
Here's some data from Quantic Foundry, who surveyed 270,000 gamers last year about the genres they play: -

jyglFGO.jpg
The issue with showing figures like this is that people with an agenda will just spin them to fit their narrative. They'll say it's proof that we need to change games because right now so few women play them because they are hostile to women.

Of course the truth is that most women just aren't interested in games that feature, fighting, violence and competitiveness as their core mechanics. EA can add as many women they want to their games, in till they turn BF into a phone puzzle game, the audience will always be dominated by men.

To quote a famous feminist, whose name escapes me:
I would love to play video games but I don't want to go round shooting people and ripping off their heads that's just gross.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think this is the biggest issue came from the last femFreq article after E3. The way they represent stats to make the strongest case for their point of view. Including gender ambiguous and NA is fine for the complete dataset but irrelevant to the point. Because it skewed the percentage for female only protagonists:

https://feministfrequency.com/2018/06/14/gender-breakdown-of-games-featured-at-e3-2018/

So removing the contextually irrelevant games they surveyed, you could say:

10% of games had exclusive female protagonist
30% of games had exclusive male protagonist

But overall, in terms of pure games (including multi sex protagonists), the headlines are:

71% of games feature a chance to play as a female
91% of games feature a chance to play as a male

Basically, there is no end game specified. They insist they don't want to police all games etc. but never have a goal or threshold to close their campaigns down. That is how you tell disingenuity. They want to have the freedom to criticise what they want, when they want and never put themselves in a position where they say progress is being made and celebrate massive shifts in attitude. Always the victims.

Humdinger

Seems like FF isn't all that popular anymore. Here's a video from Sargad, who shows the view count of her recent videos (in the thousands). Based on the video he views, I can see why.

MayauMiao

Remember The Bully Hunters?

That was proof that there are groups of people trying to run a false narrative about gaming culture in order to make a quick buck by selling gender politics. Even sites like Polygon promoted the scam without even doing their job investigating it. Fools.

Fortunately, gamers got wiser and now Anita's 15 minutes of fame is up. Her youtube view numbers is at a pathetic level that rivals Waypoint, and I think most developers are staying away from her in fear of backlash.

llien

The want those games to go away
In my humble opinion, they don't even play games, to begin with, it looks basically as just unoccupied niche, overlooked so far by sex negative F.'s that Sarkisjan has discovered and appropriated.

Basically, there is no end game specified. They insist they don't want to police all games etc. but never have a goal or threshold to close their campaigns down.
Basically, you are asking them, at which point they should lose their jobs. Naturally, they are rather reluctant. :)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think this is the biggest issue came from the last femFreq article after E3. The way they represent stats to make the strongest case for their point of view. Including gender ambiguous and NA is fine for the complete dataset but irrelevant to the point. Because it skewed the percentage for female only protagonists:

https://feministfrequency.com/2018/06/14/gender-breakdown-of-games-featured-at-e3-2018/

So removing the contextually irrelevant games they surveyed, you could say:

10% of games had exclusive female protagonist
30% of games had exclusive male protagonist

But overall, in terms of pure games (including multi sex protagonists), the headlines are:

71% of games feature a chance to play as a female
91% of games feature a chance to play as a male

Basically, there is no end game specified. They insist they don't want to police all games etc. but never have a goal or threshold to close their campaigns down. That is how you tell disingenuity. They want to have the freedom to criticise what they want, when they want and never put themselves in a position where they say progress is being made and celebrate massive shifts in attitude. Always the victims.
Man, this is such a joke and everyone should realize this by looking at the graph. Why? I clearly shows that 50% of the games offer you the choice of gender. And STILL they complain because it's only 8% just-female.... *sigh*

Basically, you are asking them, at which point they should lose their jobs. Naturally, they are rather reluctant. :)
Feminism today is far removed from it's original meaning. Once they have the women issues settled, they'll just go over to something else. Choices for trans characters, minorities etc. - and the sheep will just follow along. The complaining will never stop.

Last edited:
This is exactly what annoys me about some other places, stop talking out both sides of your mouth and pick a consistent message.

Thread about videogame violence - "there is no link between violent videogames and violent people, you are an ignorant chud if you believe so"

Thread about big anime videogame titties - "big tits in videogames are a sexist tool of the patriarchy and are directly causing women to be raped as we speak, they need to be banned"

Well here is something on which I COMPLETELY side with Sarkeesian: the "powerful cultivation effect" is science, effective in multi-billions dollars industries and institutions through medias, advertisement, entertainment, information and PR.

Saying this doesn't exists or that "it doesn't have that much effect", is either being a lying propagandist scum or stupid a degenerate negationist. Oh and I worked in this "information" industry for sometimes, if you think that people who decide on the largest or most sensitive content diffusion are stupid office slackers, you better take a step back with your ignorance or continue doing your "reinformation" (manipulation) job because that's probably what you're trying to do...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
An honest question: why not spend more time reaching out to get actual women into gaming (and filming that, building content around that) than critiquing imaginary "internalized patriarchy" in videogame content? Women love videogames. This isn't 1985 (which Aniita and her ilk still seem to believe). Ladies are always down to at least try a videogame nowadays. The mom of one of my son's friends loves Tekken so her and I often play 7 when she and her son come over. Last year, a group of me and 7 friends all played through Until Dawn together. Each person got to play as one character (so we swapped the controller each time). The group was a mixed 50/50 men/women and over the course of several weekends we all beat the game together. Time investment was about 8 hours. The women (who were bigger fans of horror movies than the guys) had a ton of fun.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Grand Theft Auto V is about to break 100 millie. Good luck making "that go away" you fake ass non-gamers (and I do not even play that series). Just political ideologues posing as such.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Activist groups often seem to have an unavoidable urge to overplay their hands, to lurch from good-faith appeals to our better natures into hyperbolic claims of urgency, and an inability to acknowledge a win and celebrate it. In failing to remain balanced, advocacy efforts can often implode under their most extreme voices and give credibility to the very backlashes they warn of.
This part is pretty fair. Social media kind of encourages a certain amount of performative outrage, where finding angles to criticize well-liked things is rewarded with a lot of feedback and conversation, but there isn't a great sense of what to do with that.

When I see an Anita Sarkeesian video, I usually go "Hm, that's something to think about," or "Eh, I don't really agree with that one," and I think that's how we SHOULD be reacting to criticism. The problem is that so many people weaponize outrage to get people fired or to get stuff pulled from shelves or airwaves that people -- perhaps at least somewhat rightly -- now see any degree of criticism as an existential threat.

But it should be ok to criticize. It's important. But both sides need to learn to hear and process criticism on its own merits rather than going straight to "how do we stop this RIGHT NOW."

Virex

Banned
I miss the time when gaming was just about games and fun. Not all this political, art, gender etc. bullshit.

I miss the time when gaming was just about games and fun. Not all this political, art, gender etc. bullshit.

Agreed. Also, I think it can truly have a negative effect on the creative process and creators vision imo. I think it is genuinely unfair that video games are always targeted, yet most other forms of entertainment get away with basically the exact same content.

I never knew they wanted gta to go away. Good luck with that. Then again, if you attack a game like doa or bayonetta, maybe it is not that surprising.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Besides the article, can we take one moment here to actually appreciate that ANITA SARKEESIAN is finally treated with the scrutiny and disbelief her insane positions merit in this forum?!

This place has gone far in short of one year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Besides the article, can we take one moment here to actually appreciate that ANITA SARKEESIAN is finally treated with the scrutiny and disbelief her insane positions merit in this forum?!

Oh man, what a total shitshow it was back then. Even constructive, civility led criticisms were piled-on and being banned. Idol worshipping to extreme levels of that of propaganda.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wasn't here a year ago, but people seem's to express their opinion freely from what I've seen and there is no drama... So why the censoreship and ban at this time?

Best thing I can say is start reading this thread in it's entirety:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/off-...ont-make-it-personal-keep-it-in-here.1462647/

There were a lot of authoritarian narrative/control based on political ideology here before the fallout. Now it is even worse at the new place. Shocker!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I remember the first video I saw of hers posted on this site, I honestly thought it was a parody but I wasn't sure at the same time.
Something was telling me she was serious.
So I asked, big mistake
Banned for a month

Edit: I did end up watching a lot of her videos but I kept out of the threads.
Sometimes she had a point but it was trivial stuff like romantic films.
Which are mostly written and produced by women anyway
but mostly it was everything was Sexist
I'm still waiting to see what was Sexist about Home Alone
She listed it as a Sexist film but never actually said why it was.

Last edited:

Basoes

I remember the video I saw of hers posted on this site, I honestly thought it was a parody but wasn't sure at the same time.
So I asked, big mistake
Banned for a month
you didn't respect women so you were banned, learn to respect women no matter what they say or do

I think she still has a very strong influence on the video game industry though with all of the things going on and I’m sure that was her long term goal. In the end, I think she accomplished what she wanted and the gene industry will most likely never be the same.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I wasn't here a year ago, but people seem's to express their opinion freely from what I've seen and there is no drama... So why the censoreship and ban at this time?

There were a lot of vile, hating and truly loathsome persons in here in the past. Believe me when I say this, and Anita was their Queen.

How times change....

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I think she still has a very strong influence on the video game industry though with all of the things going on and I’m sure that was her long term goal. In the end, I think she accomplished what she wanted and the gene industry will most likely never be the same.

We can be optimistic, GamerGate, aka the biggest consumerist movement our medium knew happened, before, it can happen again for the same reasons.

The biggest wakeup call is seeing games that push her narrative not selling.

We are seeing this with Bioware's latest games, we are seeing this with Wolfenstein 2, we are seeing this with the preordes of Battlefield V.

So the companies that listen to her will suffer.

We can be optimistic, GamerGate, aka the biggest consumerist movement our medium knew happened, before, it can happen again for the same reasons.

The biggest wakeup call is seeing games that push her narrative not selling.

We are seeing this with Bioware's latest games, we are seeing this with Wolfenstein 2, we are seeing this with the preordes of Battlefield V.

So the companies that listen to her will suffer.

Good point and I’m even seeing a huge backlash for doa6.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
DoA6 is actually worse than getting backlash, it is received angry first, and apathetically now, no one cares about it, if Team Ninja continues listening to the wrong people, well, we might see the last DoA game ever.

TGO

you didn't respect women so you were banned, learn to respect women no matter what they say or do
My advice to any man is always listen to a woman. You don't have to agree with everything they say, but always listen and never forget.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Sometimes she had a point but it was trivial stuff like romantic films.

Right, to be fair there was one situation in which I once-upon-a-time agreed with Sarkeesian, i.e. when she criticized female characters being put in male armor (or something similar) & simply acting like men. I totally agreed with her in that one instance. But she never digged deeper on that issue & devolved back into highly abrasive, man-hating/white-hating stereotypical far left virtue signalling nonsense which appeals to lunatics. I guess far left donations make her stance worthwhile for her bank account, but actual conversations which could lead to better female characters never happened.

Let's look at Naughty Dog (with Druckmann a self-proclaimed Sarkeesian fan): his women are butch (often lesbian) action heroes with muscles & Rambo powers. That's (IMO) a garbage representation of women in which they're pathetically masculinized aka turned into males. It's not respectful towards actual women (& their unique skillsets) nor does it change the way a hero behaves (it simply gender swaps Stallone/Schwarzenegger with Ellie/Nadine).

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare is a game worth revisiting with regards to this topic, i.e. Aline's campaign was different (she wasn't as gung-ho action centric as Carnby), i.e. she used her intellect & powers of deduction to solve puzzles & complete challenges. That empowers women. Whereas The new Battlefield V (topical) is another f-up, i.e. a man with a vagina blowing people up like a 1980's steroided action hero. That's a shit representation of women. This topic though is impossible in this current climate because intolerant loudmouths throw insults & abuse at anyone who questions their social media champions (Sarkeesian) & thus, girls are left with Battlefield V as "their" game to play this Christmas. I honestly do not believe that's what female gamers dream of, but that's the shit EA & Dice "served-up" in the name of feminism, so that's what they get.

Personally speaking I believe it's an insult to everyone's intelligence.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, to be fair there was one situation in which I once-upon-a-time agreed with Sarkeesian, i.e. when she criticized female characters being put in male armor (or something similar) & simply acting like men. I totally agreed with her in that one instance. But she never digged deeper on that issue & devolved back into highly abrasive, man-hating/white-hating stereotypical far left virtue signalling nonsense which appeals to lunatics. I guess far left donations make her stance worthwhile for her bank account, but actual conversations which could lead to better female characters never happened.

Let's look at Naughty Dog (with Druckmann a self-proclaimed Sarkeesian fan): his women are butch (often lesbian) action heroes with muscles & Rambo powers. That's (IMO) a garbage representation of women in which they're pathetically masculinized aka turned into males. It's not respectful towards actual women (& their unique skillsets) nor does it change the way a hero behaves (it simply gender swaps Stallone/Schwarzenegger with Ellie/Nadine).

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare is a game worth revisiting with regards to this topic, i.e. Aline's campaign was different (she wasn't as gung-ho action centric as Carnby), i.e. she used her intellect & powers of deduction to solve puzzles & complete challenges. That empowers women. Whereas The new Battlefield V (topical) is another f-up, i.e. a man with a vagina blowing people up like a 1980's steroided action hero. That's a shit representation of women. This topic though is impossible in this current climate because intolerant loudmouths throw insults & abuse at anyone who questions their social media champions (Sarkeesian) & thus, girls are left with Battlefield V as "their" game to play this Christmas. I honestly do not believe that's what female gamers dream of, but that's the shit EA & Dice "served-up" in the name of feminism, so that's what they get.

Personally speaking I believe it's an insult to everyone's intelligence.

This is a good post on the subject and outcomes.

Kreydo

Best thing I can say is start reading this thread in it's entirety:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/off-...ont-make-it-personal-keep-it-in-here.1462647/

There were a lot of authoritarian narrative/control based on political ideology here before the fallout. Now it is even worse at the new place. Shocker!
I'll pass but I get it, I'm only interested in video games, not much about demented people opinion on social.
5min of Anita was enought already.

It still sucks that NeoGaf user keep posting thread like this, even if it's to moke her... She use video game to alienate people, let's be smarter and ignore her, not giving it any attention, and it will disapear eventualy.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'll pass but I get it, I'm only interested in video games, not much about demented people opinion on social.
5min of Anita was enought already.

That is a sound way to approach a gaming site.

Basically, pretty much everything was politically motivated or injected somehow, but you had to have one form of opinion/group think on it. Now it is more open for actual discourse from various persectives since they left to start their own. So you can only imagine how much worse it has gotten when they now hold the keys.

Last edited:

Basoes

My advice to any man is always listen to a woman. You don't have to agree with everything they say, but always listen and never forget.
that's not enough, even if they lie, cheat, steal, rape, or kill, you have to believe they're innocent no matter what /s

Humdinger

Ugh, I didn't realize Druckman was a fan of Anita. That drops my opinion of him. I think you've got a point about his female characters, too. I didn't really think about ND games from this angle before, but as I've been waking up to how dominant the SJW/PC culture has become, and how twisted it is, I'm seeing things I didn't see before. And it's not looking good.

I notice there are decent amount of female that play mmo like Final Fantasy xiv. But yes, moat female would not enjoy GTA, Madden, fighting game etc.

And they don't have to as there are enough games out there to fit nearly everyone flavor. My issue is sjw want to twist the future to their liking so all game suit them yet they don't play games

Last edited:
Words cannot describe how much I hate Feminist Frequency and Anita Sarkeesian.

And part of what I hate is the fact that you cannot criticize Anita Sarkeesian in any way no matter how fair minded and nuanced you try to be without certain people instantly calling you a misogynist, like robots programmed to only think a certain way, I can't think of another public figure prior to her that people treated in such a way, literally no one is beyond reproach, disagreement or criticism no matter who they are.

Fuck her and fuck anyone that thinks she's someone worth taking seriously.

TGO

that's not enough, even if they lie, cheat, steal, rape, or kill, you have to believe they're innocent no matter what /s
Pretty Much.
I learn the hard way sadly

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Words cannot describe how much I hate Feminist Frequency and Anita Sarkeesian.

And part of what I hate is the fact that you cannot criticize Anita Sarkeesian in any way no matter how fair minded and nuanced you try to be without certain people instantly calling you a misogynist, like robots programmed to only think a certain way, I can't think of another public figure prior to her that people treated in such a way, literally no one is beyond reproach, disagreement or criticism no matter who they are.

Fuck her and fuck anyone that thinks she's someone worth taking seriously.

I know this is anecdotal, but I have a few friends who are women gamers, and they cannot stand her. They feel she is an opportunist who used the platform to elevate herself where any other entertainment/political field she would have been a nobody. They are sick of her "speaking for all women" (especially in gaming), and pretty much all of the "third wave crazies" they call them (they are feminists themselves).

Last edited:
DoA6 is actually worse than getting backlash, it is received angry first, and apathetically now, no one cares about it, if Team Ninja continues listening to the wrong people, well, we might see the last DoA game ever.

Yeah, you are correct. That’s why I fear for the franchise’s future with sc6 already on shaky ground with the negativity it is receiving as well. Trying to get a game to appeal to a demographic who never cared about the game in the first place is literally corporate suicide. The fans and hardcore will feel alienated and betrayed. 3d fighters are already perturbingly rare, so imo listening to the people who supported your game throughout the years is imperative.

Top Bottom