• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist Frequency and the Truth About Video Games

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Seems like FF isn't all that popular anymore. Here's a video from Sargad, who shows the view count of her recent videos (in the thousands). Based on the video he views, I can see why.

Wow not sure what to say but as a white male i feel really offended.

kevm3

Thank God this scam artist is fading into irrelevancy. Hopefully now, we can go back to having games that are unapologetically catered to the tastes of men. I have no problem with companies that make games that are for women, but having game after game that tries to push this androgynous, pleasing to everyone agenda into games is getting tiring. Men need to vote with their wallets, and with the new battlefield, it's looking like they are finally starting to do so.

I grew up with games filled with characters that looked like this:
81WuQFLeSdL._SY445_.jpg

Hopefully we can get back to that and not these weak BTS k-pop looking rejects that are starting to fill up games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thank God this scam artist is fading into irrelevancy. Hopefully now, we can go back to having games that are unapologetically catered to the tastes of men. I have no problem with companies that make games that are for women, but having game after game that tries to push this androgynous, pleasing to everyone agenda into games is getting tiring. Men need to vote with their wallets, and with the new battlefield, it's looking like they are finally starting to do so.

I grew up with games filled with characters that looked like this:
81WuQFLeSdL._SY445_.jpg

Hopefully we can get back to that and not these weak BTS k-pop looking rejects that are starting to fill up games.

Devolver stays delivering that old school charm. There's one coming out called The Mission that harkens back to old school Ninja Gaiden.

petran79

Banned
I know this is anecdotal, but I have a few friends who are women gamers, and they cannot stand her. They feel she is an opportunist who used the platform to elevate herself where any other entertainment/political field she would have been a nobody. They are sick of her "speaking for all women" (especially in gaming), and pretty much all of the "third wave crazies" they call them.

My breaking point in the other forum was criticising the FF post-E3 article.
Not only that but every time one tries to criticise her and why she avoids open online dialog, I get retorts that she is shocked from the online death threats and harassment she received. I am surprised she is involved in academia.
Imagine if every school teacher or university professor who want to educate, did the same for every confrontation with students and parents. I think she does that mainly to escape further criticism, since her actions are endorsed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My breaking point in the other forum was criticising the FF post-E3 article.
Not only that but every time one tries to criticise her and why she avoids open online dialog, I get retorts that she is shocked from the online death threats and harassment she received. I am surprised she is involved in academia.
Imagine if every school teacher or university professor who want to educate, did the same for every confrontation with students and parents. I think she does that mainly to escape further criticism, since her actions are endorsed.

That is exactly why she does it. The other excuse is pure bullshit and makes zero sense.

Humdinger

every time one tries to criticise her and why she avoids open online dialog, I get retorts that she is shocked from the online death threats and harassment she received. [....]I think she does that mainly to escape further criticism
That is exactly why she does it.

Plus two other reasons: it allows her to play the victim, and it allows her to escape having to actually address any of the criticisms.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Plus two other reasons: it allows her to play the victim, and it allows her to escape having to actually address any of the criticisms.

Yep. The excuse is pure fallacy.

"Hurr durr, she doesn't engage in public discourse on the internet challenging her ideals and assertions, because of death threats, hurr durr, but she will still publish more videos despite that tho!"

Last edited:
I have never heard of gamergate or this Anita lady. However, I have noticed some bad reviews of games for lacking ‘diversity’ in the past year (a realistic medieval game ffs!) and given resetera a try and been banned for saying for virtually anything a few times. It should not bother me because the games I play will hopefully be unaffected, but it does seem that something weird is going on with gaming at the moment - hopefully it all settles down.

Pallas

Gold Member
Really miss the days when politics, gender politics and holier than thou types didn’t try to shove their agendas down our throats didn’t exist in our games. I am thankful that it hasn’t consumed the entire industry though. Nothing against female gamers, I’ve playedwith them, dated them, etc. Most that I’ve encountered couldn’t give two shits about this and just want to play and have fun,

Last edited:
As I usually say when I wade into topics like this, I find both sides on average at fault. For the feminists, they need to realize that men like certain categories of games a lot more than women. This is natural and not sexist. For these games it makes perfect sense for the developers to cater more towards that male audience.

For the anti-feminist, they need to realize there really is a very toxic anti-female element to gaming that affects women gamers who like to play in traditionally male dominated areas. It is absolutely appropriate to call attention to this.

Btw, in regards to NeoGaf's banning history, I got banned for a month last year for saying something very similar to this. The reason given by the mod was that they couldn't believe someone had issues with both sides since the feminist side obviously was 100% correct. Ironically one of the things I criticized the feminist for was that they lumped anyone who disagreed with them on some point in with the most vile people who threatened violence. The mod must not have even read the entirety of what I wrote because without self awareness, they did exactly that to me.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Feminist Frequency has already been shown to be inaccurate, have double standards and even self defeats it's own purpose of fighting sexism with more sexism.

Get that fucking shit out of here. Fucking indoctrination bullshit. I can't believe this con artist even has people from the industry on board.

ruvikx

Banned
Feminist Frequency has already been shown to be inaccurate, have double standards and even self defeats it's own purpose of fighting sexism with more sexism.

Get that fucking shit out of here. Fucking indoctrination bullshit. I can't believe this con artist even has people from the industry on board.

She stands there in her videos with the imagery of a chalkboard next to her, preaching like a schoolteacher & basically shaming men & white people in general. This sort of shit-talk (i.e. we're "born evil & must repent for the sins of our fathers", basically) is supposed to make us change? It's stupid beyond belief. She's so smug & self-righteous as well, i.e. convinced of her own moral & intellectual superiority.

She's like a stereotype of a really shitty head teacher loathed by everyone except for a handful of kiss-ass sycophants & weirdos. If that's how the SJW's believe they'll transform society, they're out of their minds.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That is exactly why she does it. The other excuse is pure bullshit and makes zero sense.
There are several good reasons for her to do that though.
1. She would have largely negative comments, which could harm the perception of her work
2. Answering to criticism takes time, especially if you have to filter out sincere criticism from trolling. This time does not correlate to any income and is therefore "free work". Considering she appears to work in academia and makes money on the side with the video project of hers, she would just reduce her income by giving answers to comments
3. She makes herself more vulnerable by answering to criticism, because she may not invest as much work into researching before answering a comment, which invites more errors.

Right, to be fair there was one situation in which I once-upon-a-time agreed with Sarkeesian, i.e. when she criticized female characters being put in male armor (or something similar) & simply acting like men. I totally agreed with her in that one instance. But she never digged deeper on that issue & devolved back into highly abrasive, man-hating/white-hating stereotypical far left virtue signalling nonsense which appeals to lunatics. I guess far left donations make her stance worthwhile for her bank account, but actual conversations which could lead to better female characters never happened.

Let's look at Naughty Dog (with Druckmann a self-proclaimed Sarkeesian fan): his women are butch (often lesbian) action heroes with muscles & Rambo powers. That's (IMO) a garbage representation of women in which they're pathetically masculinized aka turned into males. It's not respectful towards actual women (& their unique skillsets) nor does it change the way a hero behaves (it simply gender swaps Stallone/Schwarzenegger with Ellie/Nadine).

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare is a game worth revisiting with regards to this topic, i.e. Aline's campaign was different (she wasn't as gung-ho action centric as Carnby), i.e. she used her intellect & powers of deduction to solve puzzles & complete challenges. That empowers women. Whereas The new Battlefield V (topical) is another f-up, i.e. a man with a vagina blowing people up like a 1980's steroided action hero. That's a shit representation of women. This topic though is impossible in this current climate because intolerant loudmouths throw insults & abuse at anyone who questions their social media champions (Sarkeesian) & thus, girls are left with Battlefield V as "their" game to play this Christmas. I honestly do not believe that's what female gamers dream of, but that's the shit EA & Dice "served-up" in the name of feminism, so that's what they get.

Personally speaking I believe it's an insult to everyone's intelligence.

The Last of Us 2 |OT| Toxic Femininity

nkarafo

l-26836-complaining-about-unrealistic-depictions-of-women-in-video-games-feminist-frequency-radio.jpg

Yep.

ruvikx

Banned
1. She would have largely negative comments, which could harm the perception of her work
2. Answering to criticism takes time, especially if you have to filter out sincere criticism from trolling. This time does not correlate to any income and is therefore "free work". Considering she appears to work in academia and makes money on the side with the video project of hers, she would just reduce her income by giving answers to comments
3. She makes herself more vulnerable by answering to criticism, because she may not invest as much work into researching before answering a comment, which invites more errors.

Anita's speech at the UN was unequivocal: she said calling a feminist (such as herself) a "liar" or saying she "sucks" = harassment & should be censored.

The problem is Anita has been exposed as a liar/distorter of truths on numerous occasions. She's a zealot who wants complete control of the narrative & tolerates zero criticism. That's why she's a bad joke.

Lupingosei

Banned
Btw, in regards to NeoGaf's banning history, I got banned for a month last year for saying something very similar to this. The reason given by the mod was that they couldn't believe someone had issues with both sides since the feminist side obviously was 100% correct. Ironically one of the things I criticized the feminist for was that they lumped anyone who disagreed with them on some point in with the most vile people who threatened violence. The mod must not have even read the entirety of what I wrote because without self awareness, they did exactly that to me.

If one side will not even admit the possibility that there could be a problem on their side and will ban you for even bringing it up, don't you think the both side argument is flawed. There were some assholes on the Gamergate side, but they were attacked from Gaters as well. Doxing was regarded as a no go, while the so called good guys always find a reason to dox people. (Look ar RestEra for example) While there is still no Gamergater in prison, there were a lot of people on the other side later exposed as perverts or rapists. The most ironic thing, as a women you would be probably safer amongst Gamergaters.

Everybody is getting harassed on the internet, but one side decided to recreate the ending of Animal Farm and told everybody, “all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others” and people just rolled with it, because they were too afraid to get bullied. And even walking on eggshells is not enough, the orthodoxy does not allow nuance this is why you will get banned on RestEra, while other people will just downvote your opinion.

But it is both sides, while on side can bully people into suicide and still call themselves the good people, the other has to prove everything, archive every article, every conversation and even then, when they have evidence is till getting ignored, because it does not fit the narrative.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Anita's speech at the UN was unequivocal: she said calling a feminist (such as herself) a "liar" or saying she "sucks" = harassment & should be censored.
I think you are misrepresenting what she says in this excerpt. She describes what online harassment may entail and repeatedly calling someone a liar or saying someone sucks can be ways harassment materialises. Moreover, this can even be true if the thing being referenced is actually a falsehood the target of the harassment has said. So, for instance, in my first posting online, I enthusiastically said there must be a Yoshi game for GameCube coming, because there was a Yoshi-themed icon on the GameCube manual. As we all know, I was wrong. Moreover, it was pretty stupid to conclude from an examplary picture on the system's manual that a new Yoshi game must be coming. However, if people were always responding to me, on unrelated issues, calling me a liar because of that one thing I got wrong in 2002, this would consitute harassment, even though it is true that I over interpreted that image, greatly.

Sarkeesian probably is in a situation where mistakes she made in previous works are again and again being used to paint her as a purposeful liar, as an insincere person and as someone providing a distorted view. This is a form of harassment, especially if the same person is bringing up the same mistakes - honest ones, deliberate ones, or ones that are not actually mistakes, but just perceived as such by the attacker - repeatedly to talk her down. Indeed what detective GAF did (and their successors on Resetera) is certainly harassment, to collect histories of posts one may not like, often misrepresenting them even upon quoting them, by being very selective and thus character assassinating people instead of arguing faithfully on the current point of discussion.

Of course, it is difficult to deal with this in a fair and balanced way, and it should not be a process of jurisdication (except in severe cases), but of moderation. Something Twitter is notoriously lacking in, which, combined with the short message nature and the social accumulative functionality makes Twitter a particular minefield.

ruvikx

Banned
I think you are misrepresenting what she says in this excerpt. She describes what online harassment may entail and repeatedly calling someone a liar or saying someone sucks can be ways harassment materialises.

Sarkeesian isn't talking about Yoshi (merely a video game), no, i.e. her game is labelling entire groups & essentially shit-talking about them in lengthy videos which 'explain' why these groups are horrible (her targets are men & white people). She's a political agitator on the far left of the spectrum who demands censorship of contrary views. So here's a key difference: Anita openly & enthusiastically insults millions upon millions of people, yet screams "harassment" when they verbally shoot back.

That's why your comparison doesn't work here. Anita is the antithesis of 'fair & balanced' herself because her agenda & "war" has designated enemies whom she attacks relentlessly.

Ascend

For the anti-feminist, they need to realize there really is a very toxic anti-female element to gaming that affects women gamers who like to play in traditionally male dominated areas. It is absolutely appropriate to call attention to this.
Is there though? I really haven't seen evidence for this, honestly... What I mean is, sure, some people are aggressive towards women that play games, but, how many guys are on the receiving end of aggression online? Barely anyone doesn't get called names... So why is it a problem when it happens to women and not a problem when it happens to men? Or why is it a bigger problem when it happens to women? And in the majority of cases, when a woman can play like anyone else, she gets a lot more praise than a guy would get, because she's seen as a 'novelty'. Is that a bad thing, or not?

Feel free to show the contrary.

JCK75

Here is the reality, activism coming after your hobby is crappy and everyone should be onboard with that idea.. if it was the lat Jerry Falwell complaining about the violence and satanic imagery every single person here would be more than ready to tell him to go and F himself, so I don't understand why there is such a split when Feminists do essentially the exact same thing for pretty much the exact same reason... ignorance with an agenda.

petran79

Banned

The problem is Anita has been exposed as a liar/distorter of truths on numerous occasions. She's a zealot who wants complete control of the narrative & tolerates zero criticism. That's why she's a bad joke.

So many great women and men have spoken sitting on those seats and they have endured, seen and help to fight real violence, poverty and war
Yet she with all her priviledges sits and complaints about a few online keyboard warriors and video games. A disgrace really.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
The video game media industry seems to have been swallowed whole by fake intellectuals who represent and speak for nobody but themselves. It is a group of uneducated and awkward individuals who do nothing but try to justifiy each other’s existence with rubbish articles and criticisms that are incredibly inflammatory. But they can hide behind an opposition to ‘gamergate’ and ‘alt right’ to position themselves as always doing the right thing. It is a good time for level-headed, rational people to come out and offer an alternative that actually focuses on games and not nonsense.

DonF

The dignity of truth is lost with much protesting.

they've been doing this for far too long and lost focus.

Cranberrys

I think you are misrepresenting what she says in this excerpt. She describes what online harassment may entail and repeatedly calling someone a liar or saying someone sucks can be ways harassment materialises. Moreover, this can even be true if the thing being referenced is actually a falsehood the target of the harassment has said. So, for instance, in my first posting online, I enthusiastically said there must be a Yoshi game for GameCube coming, because there was a Yoshi-themed icon on the GameCube manual. As we all know, I was wrong. Moreover, it was pretty stupid to conclude from an examplary picture on the system's manual that a new Yoshi game must be coming. However, if people were always responding to me, on unrelated issues, calling me a liar because of that one thing I got wrong in 2002, this would consitute harassment, even though it is true that I over interpreted that image, greatly.

Sarkeesian probably is in a situation where mistakes she made in previous works are again and again being used to paint her as a purposeful liar, as an insincere person and as someone providing a distorted view. This is a form of harassment, especially if the same person is bringing up the same mistakes - honest ones, deliberate ones, or ones that are not actually mistakes, but just perceived as such by the attacker - repeatedly to talk her down. Indeed what detective GAF did (and their successors on Resetera) is certainly harassment, to collect histories of posts one may not like, often misrepresenting them even upon quoting them, by being very selective and thus character assassinating people instead of arguing faithfully on the current point of discussion.

Of course, it is difficult to deal with this in a fair and balanced way, and it should not be a process of jurisdication (except in severe cases), but of moderation. Something Twitter is notoriously lacking in, which, combined with the short message nature and the social accumulative functionality makes Twitter a particular minefield.

The thing is Sarkeesian attacked head on. She didn't say "oh, I think there might be sexism in some video games because of this and that, what do you think ? Can we discuss it ?". No, instead she told to an entire Community that classic and beloved games like Mario where in fact sexist. It wasn't Something open to any discussion, it was her way or the highway. Her videos were in fact lectures. And for what ? Do we have any proof that all the male gamers who played Mario when they were kids became mean sexist adults ? When Amy Hennig say Something along the lines that sexism wasn't such an issue in the gaming industry... I mean it's Amy Hennig, instead all the SJW sphere dropped the bomb on her, just because she expressed her point of view based on her awesome career.

How about the fact that never once Sarkeesian offered long time female gamers a voice or classic game journalists like Scorpia ? Or How about the fact that many video games, even in the 16-bit era have fstrong female characters ? How many JRPG on SNES or Genesis have strong female characters part of the player's team ? How about the fact that prior to Sarkeesian's videos, female characters in video games were evolving into more deep characters and less over sexualized. Even without these videos, would Ellie have wandered in a bikini in The Last Of Us ? Female characters would have naturally evolved in a more mature way Simply because things change, because gamers grow up and naturally want more complex characters (male and female). It's not Sarkeesian doing, things were evolving way before her or any SJW. Sarkeesian stirred the crap just to make a name for herself and self promoted herself into the noble queen of women in the gaming industry. There's plenty of women who work very hard everyday in the gaming industry and they never asked Sarkeesian anything and certainly not for her to fight their battles. So why she never take their voices into account ?

Last edited:

Dunki

Let me give you one example which was eye opening for me and why people need to call her out more often.

I remember some School shooting happening and people were dying. The first thing she wrote like 2 hours after it did happen was thatshe blamed toxic masculinity for this shool shooting. Shortly after it came out that it had nothig to do with this and she did not even apologize for her very unsensitive tweet but went on like nothing did happen. Also people she calls out getting harrassed as well since people with large followings will mobilize vicious mobs onto the person or company this person is upset with.

Also it was the journalist jobs to be critical of her work, to call her out for stealing video footage without any form of credit. Even in fair use you have to credit the people you got it from. They never called her out for agenda pushing libel and false accusations. Anita deserved this criticism on mass by the public (not the death or rape threats but calling her a liar and terrible person. She even used Notch to push her agenda by self inviting her to his party back then.

Also she NEVER admitted that she was wrong but everyone who said she was wrong was a misogynistic asshole who hates women.

llien

My ironymeter just exploded, is that real?

Here's a video from Sargad
He might have a point, but it's feels too long a video for messages he is trying to send, just some basic "aha, nah" comments and that creepy laughing makes me wondeer, how could he even be a popular youtuber. (but then, I don't get pewpewwhatever's popularity either)

llien

Sarkeesian probably is in a situation where mistakes she made in previous works are again and again being used to paint her as a purposeful liar, as an insincere person and as someone providing a distorted view. This is a form of harassment, especially if the same person is bringing up the same mistakes - honest ones, deliberate ones, or ones that are not actually mistakes, but just perceived as such by the attacker - repeatedly to talk her down.
Well, when people do mistakes, all they need to go over them, is to admit them, explain why that happened.

I don't buy the whole "victim narrative" but I will say that I am glad we have some form of discussion about how women are presented in games.

Not because it was a disaster and needed an overhaul but because it is good to have minorities speak up and women who enjoy games are a minority. Having them express how they feel when a ton of games use women as reward/eye candy is not a waste of time.

It's sort of like white privilege. I heard the concept and was very hostile to it at first but after listening to people speak about it and thinking, I have come around and agree its a "thing", all while also acknowledging that there are scumbags who use white privilege as means to dismiss anything they might disagree with.

The real shame is that both sides seem entrenched in either "they are 100% right" or "they are 100% wrong". How can anyone grow, intellectually speaking, in that kind of environment?

Last edited:

Ogbert

For anyone who has had to endure ‘feminist theory’ at University, what you quickly realise is that it teaches you nothing about the subject, only feminism itself.

These ‘cultural critics’ have absolutely zero interest in video games. Nada. Zip. They’re failed journalists that found a corner of the internet that was yet to be infected.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Is there though? I really haven't seen evidence for this, honestly... What I mean is, sure, some people are aggressive towards women that play games, but, how many guys are on the receiving end of aggression online? Barely anyone doesn't get called names... So why is it a problem when it happens to women and not a problem when it happens to men? Or why is it a bigger problem when it happens to women? And in the majority of cases, when a woman can play like anyone else, she gets a lot more praise than a guy would get, because she's seen as a 'novelty'. Is that a bad thing, or not?

Feel free to show the contrary.

Online gaming in general is very unpleasant. I'm a straight white CIS male and get a lot of abuse when I play TF2 because I'm shit at it. I get called n***** by 14 year olds ffs. It's really rather unpleasant but of course the problem is that where in the past we had private servers where groups would get to know each other and find the limits of banter and sledging, now everyone's on public servers with strangers (because companies want to control the servers so they can turn them off and move you to the next game but don't want to spend money actually running proper communities - it's the Silicon Valley way - see facebook, twitter, youtube, steam et al) and with so many edgy 14-year-olds on line we're all n*****s.

In terms of where the hate is directed, it's likely that many of these 14-year-olds are just looking for any hook with which to attack someone, whatever they think will get a rise out of them, much like how in the playground kids will call the kid with glasses Speccy c*nt, the fat kid a fat fuck, etc. I think women do get it worse than men, but that's a problem better solved by running private servers with real communities on them rather than this insanely aggressive radical feminist crap.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's sort of like white privilege. I heard the concept and was very hostile to it at first but after listening to people speak about it and thinking, I have come around and agree its a "thing", all while also acknowledging that there are scumbags who use white privilege as means to dismiss anything they might disagree with.

I get where you're coming from - my wife accidentally took a fucking huge breadknife in her hold luggage and airport security found it. I suspect if she'd been brown it would have been a different outcome but she's middle-class and white so they accepted her mortified look (we'd been using the bag while moving house and had forgotten to empty one pocket). There are elements of white privilege in things like that.

I will however say that if you're poor and white you're just as fucked as someone who's poor and black, probably more so because there are organisations out there looking to help poor black people, but nobody gives a shit about poor white kids.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Has this been posted?
Sarkeesian has been ousted as a liar more than 4 years ago. Why does anyone still continues to defend her is beyond me...

Barsinister

Banned
For anyone who has had to endure ‘feminist theory’ at University, what you quickly realise is that it teaches you nothing about the subject, only feminism itself.

These ‘cultural critics’ have absolutely zero interest in video games. Nada. Zip. They’re failed journalists that found a corner of the internet that was yet to be infected.

Related to your post, a story:

My oldest daughter took STEM courses in college and is now working in IT, and is making a go of it. Her two High School friends took "feminist theory" courses and are now in committed, loving lesbian relationships. They liked boys before the courses. One was even engaged to be married to a man.

No judgement, just an observation.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of STEM and working in IT - so many feminists are saying they're excluded from that field but it's absolute horse shit. Frankly in the UK most companies are just desperate for good programmers (which is why the pay's so good if you prove yourself worthy) - I run a small team and would absolutely not turn down an applicant for being female. I just want someone with good skills, that's it. I give precisely zero fucks about what's between a person's legs because I don't plan to look down there (my wife would not be amused). I can say with 99% certainty that any places worth working take the same view, because they want the best talent so they can fucking stay in business. Excuse off-topic rant, just had to get it out there.

Humdinger

He might have a point, but it's feels too long a video for messages he is trying to send, just some basic "aha, nah" comments and that creepy laughing makes me wondeer, how could he even be a popular youtuber.

Sargon has been in battle with Anita S. since the start of Gamergate, so that's part of why he's going on about it. They've got a long history. He has scores of videos on his channel, going back years, about this. She's pointed him out in the audience and attacked him personally while she was on stage at some event ("garbage human"). He's a very intelligent commentator, although he gets pretty worked up and a bit hyperbolic at times. He doesn't like or respect her a bit. Called her "a dick" on Joe Rogan. So he's got a bit of a grudge, you might say.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Has this been posted?
Sarkeesian has been ousted as a liar more than 4 years ago. Why does anyone still continues to defend her is beyond me...

Heh, this reminds me. I was banned for 1 month in oldGAF for posting that Anita is not a gamer. The mod message was something in the lines of "you don't decide who is a gamer or not".

That was the video i was thinking about but i didn't post it (not that it would make any difference).

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

What's your point? She is uncriticizable? Should we just accept it and be quiet? It's funny whenever these activits bring up a "problem" they say they are starting a "dialog". Except, dialog take two sides communicating.

What you are describing here is a monologue. It's her going to her soapbox, accusing others and then refusing to listen to rebuttals.

She obviously can't answer every single tweet, but she can collect the most commonly cited "problems" with her work, either correct them in a special video or provide clarifications. This is not "free work", it's part of her job.

This is analogous to testing in software. It's something that takes time, but it must be done.

Thiagosc777

What discussion? Where is Anita engaging anyone who disagrees with her? There's no dicussion, there never was. There's only a monologue on her part.

Ascend

What's your point? She is uncriticizable? Should we just accept it and be quiet? It's funny whenever these activits bring up a "problem" they say they are starting a "dialog". Except, dialog take two sides communicating.

What you are describing here is a monologue. It's her going to her soapbox, accusing others and then refusing to listen to rebuttals.

She obviously can't answer every single tweet, but she can collect the most commonly cited "problems" with her work, either correct them in a special video or provide clarifications. This is not "free work", it's part of her job.

This is analogous to testing in software. It's something that takes time, but it must be done.
She won't ever do that. Probably because she knows she'd lose the argument, because she doesn't have arguments. She has propaganda.

ILLtown

The best evidence for her not being a gamer is watching her play a game. The one and only time I tuned into the Fem Freq Twitch channel, she was playing Mario Kart and Super Mario World, games she claimed to have loved when she was younger.

In Mario Kart, she was swerving left and right non-stop, like she was always oversteering and having to correct it. The AI cars left her behind and a constant string of expletives was coming from her mouth while she was playing ("fuck me!", "shit!", "fuck!!!"). I was quite surprised by the swearing, given that she's supposedly opposed to toxicity in gaming. She ended up coming dead last, and this was in the first race of the 50cc cup.

When she played Super Mario World, she couldn't get past world 1-2.

I'm not trying to "skill shame" her here, but just from watching her play, she came across as someone who was playing these games for the first time, rather than someone who was just rusty or wasn't that great a player. It was like she'd never played a platform or driving game before.

The guy that co-wrote the "Tropes....." series about games, Jonathan McIntosh, who is even more extreme/nuts than she is, is definitely sometime that plays games, but I don't believe that she's ever been into gaming.

The #1 sign for me that she made great videos about video games is how much they pissed people off. Holy moly, people love to hate her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom