• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist Frequency and the Truth About Video Games

ruvikx

Banned
The #1 sign for me that she made great videos about video games is how much they pissed people off. Holy moly, people love to hate her.

She hates white people (unless they guilt/shame themselves like zealous religious fanatics who believe they're born in sin) & she also hates men who're not sycophantically subservient to women.

So no, her videos are sh*t. By the way, she never really pissed me off per se (she's just one moron among many others), no, what I found irksome was her defense force who somehow believed they were "good people" via defending her & parroting her bullshit. It's that terrifying moment when you realize thousands (& more) who come to our countries actually hate us just because of our skin color, gender & history. That's fucked up.

dirthead

Banned
What people have really pinpointed, and what's truly irritating about the whole thing, is that most of these clowns don't even like or have any real interest in games.

This would be the equivalent of some stereotypical male gamer making a career out of something he cares nothing about like, say, makeup. Makeup is evil. It objectifies people. Here's a series of badly researched videos about why women shouldn't wear makeup. I don't care about makeup at all or understand why women like it, but I've decided it's evil and I'm going to impose this opinion on everyone because I want money. Absurd, right?

Not when you've got a vagina.

563d327fe4e5.gif

Nymphae

Banned
The best evidence for her not being a gamer is watching her play a game. The one and only time I tuned into the Fem Freq Twitch channel, she was playing Mario Kart and Super Mario World, games she claimed to have loved when she was younger.

In Mario Kart, she was swerving left and right non-stop, like she was always oversteering and having to correct it. The AI cars left her behind and a constant string of expletives was coming from her mouth while she was playing ("fuck me!", "shit!", "fuck!!!"). I was quite surprised by the swearing, given that she's supposedly opposed to toxicity in gaming. She ended up coming dead last, and this was in the first race of the 50cc cup.

When she played Super Mario World, she couldn't get past world 1-2.

I'm not trying to "skill shame" her here, but just from watching her play, she came across as someone who was playing these games for the first time, rather than someone who was just rusty or wasn't that great a player. It was like she'd never played a platform or driving game before.

The guy that co-wrote the "Tropes....." series about games, Jonathan McIntosh, who is even more extreme/nuts than she is, is definitely sometime that plays games, but I don't believe that she's ever been into gaming.

If the shoe fits...

Blood Borne

I think this is the biggest issue came from the last femFreq article after E3. The way they represent stats to make the strongest case for their point of view. Including gender ambiguous and NA is fine for the complete dataset but irrelevant to the point. Because it skewed the percentage for female only protagonists:

https://feministfrequency.com/2018/06/14/gender-breakdown-of-games-featured-at-e3-2018/

So removing the contextually irrelevant games they surveyed, you could say:

10% of games had exclusive female protagonist
30% of games had exclusive male protagonist

But overall, in terms of pure games (including multi sex protagonists), the headlines are:

71% of games feature a chance to play as a female
91% of games feature a chance to play as a male

Basically, there is no end game specified. They insist they don't want to police all games etc. but never have a goal or threshold to close their campaigns down. That is how you tell disingenuity. They want to have the freedom to criticise what they want, when they want and never put themselves in a position where they say progress is being made and celebrate massive shifts in attitude. Always the victims.
You can not placate someone whose very livelihood depends on being unplacated.

oagboghi2

I just checked out this channel's videos out of curiosity. One of the videos was '7 ways to talk to your racist uncle at thanksgiving'
wtf is this shit
She's are into disowning friends and family who disagree with them. Believe me, I bet her fans ate that shit up

hecatomb

Banned
She's are into disowning friends and family who disagree with them. Believe me, I bet her fans ate that shit up
Sounds like my younger sister after she went sjw, can barley talk to her about anything without her throwing a temper tantrum

It should be noted that Feminist Frequency doesn't really have an audience any more. Of their last 50 Youtube videos, only 8 have exceeded 5000 views. (The vast majority of them have less than 3000 views.) Every high school in America probably has a student who has a larger audience than Feminist Frequency does. I know a handful of developers drank the Kool-Aid, but they'll eventually learn to stay away from the dumpster fire of identity politics.

Feminist Frequency disables comments and voting on their videos, but it's safe to assume their message has been rejected. I suggest that we start treating them with apathy like everyone else does.

Velius

Banned
She's hurt female gamers and cloven the community itself into two bickering factions and she's lined her pockets with gold as a leech would gorge on blood. Assuming her cult crumbles away now gamers will still be rebuilding for a long time.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It should be noted that Feminist Frequency doesn't really have an audience any more. Of their last 50 Youtube videos, only 8 have exceeded 5000 views. (The vast majority of them have less than 3000 views.) Every high school in America probably has a student who has a larger audience than Feminist Frequency does. I know a handful of developers drank the Kool-Aid, but they'll eventually learn to stay away from the dumpster fire of identity politics.

Feminist Frequency disables comments and voting on their videos, but it's safe to assume their message has been rejected. I suggest that we start treating them with apathy like everyone else does.

I hope Druckmann gets the damned memo, because it is quite embarrassing at this point if he keeps pushing that shit based off their non-gamer propaganda they peddle. And I was in the "ND can do no wrong camp" at one time, not afraid to admit that.

I still trust with all the talent they have there it will be nuanced well, however, I hope they do not push shit for the "sake of" from those only wanting to leach off the industry they can give a fuck all about.

Last edited:

TheWatcher

Banned
She has moved into tabletop games and card games. She was invited to GenCon as a speaker. The SJWs in that game scene are at the highest levels: Wizards of the Coast are ruining Magic the Gathering and one of the creators of Roll20 are going ape shit over men only role playing sessions.

It’s pathetic. Comics have been invaded by identity politics. Vidya games. Tabletops...

Social Justice as promulgated by SJWs is a cancer.

Interesting post. I would imagine that this place would have been very critical of her circa 2006-2011. Look at the damage the SJWs did to this place as a testament to what they will do to other space they invade. I was very interested in hearing a female perspective on video games, but her thoughts on Hitman immediately turned me off. It was clear she wasn't a gamer, much like the poseurs at Polygon, Waypoint, Kotucku, etc.

Top Bottom