• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII rebirth exclusive to PS5 because of the graphical quality, of course, as well as SSD access speed says executive producer Kitase.

S0ULZB0URNE

"It's exclusive to PlayStation 5 because of the graphical quality, of course, as well as SSD access speed," said Kitase.

"Since the adventure unfolds in a vast world after the escape from Midgar, loading stress is an extreme bottleneck. We felt we needed the specifications of PlayStation 5 to overcome that and travel the world comfortably."

Translated by

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Don't we already know the game is eventually coming to PC? Are we sure he's not talking about it being exclusive to PS5 versus also having a PS4 version?
He's probably talking about the ssd compared to ps4, guys.
i stand corrected, i was mostly talking about why it wouldn't also be on PC and the next gen Xbox
also, do we know if the game will eventually come to PC? as far as i know they havent announced any plans for that yet

Last edited:
Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

Aenima

"Since the adventure unfolds in a vast world after the escape from Midgar, loading stress is an extreme bottleneck. We felt we needed the specifications of PlayStation 5 to overcome that and travel the world comfortably."
So this confirms the game will be open world?

One of my concerns was that after Midgar the second game would follow a linear design like the 1st one. Will be happy if they made an open world where u can visit various locations from the original game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol sure. It looked worse than horizon forbidden West, a ps4 game.

Good to hear about the ssd though.

njean777

At this point I don't know why companies don't just say due to having deals with Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc. It isn't like people don't get why things are exclusive anymore (especially with streaming movies/music).

Last edited:

reksveks

So this confirms the game will be open world?

One of my concerns was that after Midgar the second game would follow a linear design like the 1st one. Will be happy if they made an open world where u can visit various locations from the original game.
I suspect its going to be that hub model where you are just jumping between the different places personally.

Duchess

I have to admit that the PS5's load times, when used properly, are bloody insane. 2 seconds to load a game from the title screen?

Honestly, when games take 10 seconds to load now, it feels too long..!

This is actually sort of bad, as people's attention spans are dropping like bricks these days (apparently, people will wait just 3 seconds for a website to load, and then give up and move on - us 56k users had far more patience).

STARSBarry

Gold Member
i stand corrected, i was mostly talking about why it wouldn't also be on PC and the next gen Xbox
also, do we know if the game will eventually come to PC? as far as i know they havent announced any plans for that yet

If it does it might be one of the first that requires SSD as a minimum requirement, its why I assume the latest ratchet and clank hasent made its way onto PC despite sonys recent push to have first party titles on the platform. It was PS5 only due to the way it uses the Fast SSD speeds for its universe switching mechanic.

Last edited:
Meanwhile the original FFVII pisses all over this remake and runs on a potato.

I don't understand spending 10 years remaking a game that took 2/3 years to make.
I can easily imagine the game running just fine on an HDD once it releases on PC.
Well yeah. For sure having more hdd/ssd speed helps during development though.

But it'll surely run mostly fine on a regular PC with a HDD. More loadings and perhaps some stutters.

The issue with PS4 was that they would need to do a middle LOD for things that are not loaded into memory yet just like they did with the original FFVII, and they decided to skip it. those textures that took longer than they should to load looked hideous on the original hardware anyway.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i get not being on last gen but there's really no reason it can't come to Series S/X or PC. well, money is a reason i suppose.

this game will be great on PC with PCIE 4/5.0 SSDs and DirectStorage with that 7.1 - 14.2GB/s goodness :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: PS5 ssd speeds aren't anything impressive now lol. maybe 2 years ago.

I wonder how they'll get it on pcs with mechanical drives? Use more memory I guess?
it's time people stop using HDDs for playing new games. at this point i wouldn't care if games started straight up refusing to run on HDDs.

you want to play a new game in 2022/2023 then get with the times. HDDs should only be for last gen consoles and for storing files on PC.

Last edited:
it's time people stop using HDDs for playing new games. at this point i wouldn't care if games started straight up refusing to run on HDDs.

you want to play a new game in 2022/2023 then get with the times. HDDs should only be for last gen consoles and for storing files on PC.
People gaming with HDD's are residual at this point obviously.

The thing is of course it'll still run, even if the bottlenecks become obvious, they have to load the environment to RAM regardless, no such thing as stream it. So what happens is object and texture pop-in, we've had generations of that happening at this point, nothing unusual.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
People gaming with HDD's are residual at this point obviously.

The thing is of course it'll still run, even if the bottlenecks become obvious, they have to load the environment to RAM regardless, no such thing as stream it. So what happens is object and texture pop-in, we've had generations of that happening at this point, nothing unusual.
well if people want that kind of experience from games let them have it. i'm sure games will run but it'll be an awful experience. i got no sympathy for people if they want to complain.

Lmao at some of these replies, the idea of the SSD influencing game deisgn still bothers some people since Cerny’s presentation.

Streaming data into RAM from HDD has always been a bottleneck for developers, all you have to do is watch several GDC presentations in which developers and programmers discuss this very issue and how they get around it. It’s not hard people.

In fact you can even find a post-mortem type interview with FF7R developers talking about the texture streaming bottlenecks which were solved with the PS5’s SSD.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...al-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-for-next-gen

What I do find absurd is people trying to spin this as some sort of PR marketing deal that Sony has made with every developer asking them to talk up “Cerny’s Magic SSD”.

reksveks

Lmao at some of these replies, the idea of the SSD influencing game deisgn still bothers some people since Cerny’s presentation.

Streaming data into RAM from HDD has always been a bottleneck for developers, all you have to do is watch several GDC presentations in which developers and programmers discuss this very issue and how they get around it. It’s not hard people.

In fact you can even find a post-mortem type interview with FF7R developers talking about the texture streaming bottlenecks which were solved with the PS5’s SSD.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...al-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-for-next-gen

What I do find absurd is people trying to spin this as some sort of PR marketing deal that Sony has made with every developer asking them to talk up “Cerny’s Magic SSD”.
1) you started about game design and then the link was about texture streaming (not what I would define as being a part of games design) , I do believe that ssd's will be important for game design but I wouldn't use ff7r Intergrade for this argument.
2) does ff7r Intergrade on pc even recommend a ssd (sata or nvme)? The EGS doesn't give me much insight here.
3) not sure that's (aka a marketing deal between Sony and Square Enix) the only possible reason for this comment. There is a commercial reason that Square Enix thinks it will sell better if they can position it as something that's premium. Saw something similar with Godfall.

To repeat, there is probably a bit of both here, technical* truth and marketing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Possible. Like the PS5 UE5 demo, although it was heavily downgraded to work on PC.

A sata SSD isn't a mechanical hard drive though which is what you originally said. As I'm sure you're aware, sata SSD's are lightyears ahead of mechanical drives when it comes to speed.

Yeah I'll be interested to see how it pans out. Would be amazing for PC games to start requiring SSDs, it's time to move on.

Let's hope it does require an ssd and doesn't just somehow work on a mechanical drive once it comes to PC.

Top Bottom