• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Remake: No Locations From The Original Game Will Be Cut (Nomura)

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
6m2vao.jpg

Crayon

I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see how thye handle this. I just played the first one recently and the way the game ended right when you step out of midgar was all too convenient. If they took all that time to make midgar, how are they going to handle the rest of the map? I suppose natural environments are easier to make, and most towns were just a few screens, but it still seems like a whole lot to make. How much of the groundwork from part one are they going to be able to reuse? How open or linear is the map going to be? etc etc.

Swift_Star

Banned
No locations will be cut especially since the game is primarily on rails anyway. I'm curious how they are going to open up to the overworld after the party leaves Midgar. That's where the true test for these devs is going to be. If they pull off a Witcher 3/BotW I'll be impressed.

I don't see why they can't do it. I guess it becomes can they bring the world of Gaia to life?
The game isn't open world and has no reason to be. That would be pretty shitty. The game will be, at best, wide linear, as it should. Open World doesn't belong in Final Fantasy games, specially if they're story heavy.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The game isn't open world and has no reason to be. That would be pretty shitty. The game will be, at best, wide linear, as it should. Open World doesn't belong in Final Fantasy games, specially if they're story heavy.
I disagree. Midgar was very linear by design but the game opened up to exploring different locations especially after you acquired the airship. It can be open world later on or they can have it continue to be an on-rails walking simulator.

Depends on their artistic direction. Either way it's going to be a blast.

FFVIIR is probably gonna feel like Senua's Sacrifice to me. A very interactive visual novel. And I'm looking forward to that.

Swift_Star

Banned
I disagree. Midgar was very linear by design but the game opened up to exploring different locations especially after you acquired the airship. It can be open world later on or they can have it continue to be an on-rails walking simulator.

Depends on their artistic direction. Either way it's going to be a blast.

FFVIIR is probably gonna feel like Senua's Sacrifice to me. A very interactive visual novel. And I'm looking forward to that.
FFVII was always a linear game. As are all FF games, even FFXV is linear and the open world only made the game worse for it. It's not going to be open world. Don't expect that.

EruditeHobo

You mean modern FF games? Because it seemed to work pretty well in 6, 7, 8, 9... I could see FF7R trilogy being more like FFX though -- no open world, large individual areas to explore, etc. I also wouldn't count on seeing every individual enemy, like the Emerald Weapon, for instance... but who knows.

My suspicions about what these games would look like collectively is really challenged by the statement that "no location will be skipped". It's not an easy or simple thing to create all that content, if it is going to look at all like the first game. Giving that Midgar treatment to... I don't know, 20 key locations? 25? How many are in the original game, would we say? That is a massive, massive amount of work and content, for 2 remaining games.

We will see I guess. I don't know what to make of this at this point.

Last edited:

begotten

Kinda… thing is I’m not sure this leak is legit

Idk. Cait Sith was in FF7R and is controlled by Reeve. I don't see how the character is completely omitted especially since it has lore within Golden Saucer and the Temple, which I assume we must be going to both next game. I couldn't care less if the character wasn't in the party anymore - worst party member from the original and how are they going to translate dice rolling Limit Breaks into the current system.

Other stuff in those dot points I could see happening, strangely enough.

EruditeHobo

Oh my mistake Swift_Star Swift_Star ... I misread "open world" as "containing an overworld", a la previous FF games (like FF7). Yeah, definitely do not expect any of these FF7R games to be "open world" in the way we use that term lately.

Swift_Star

Banned
You mean modern FF games? Because it seemed to work pretty well in 6, 7, 8, 9... I could see FF7R trilogy being more like FFX though -- no open world, large individual areas to explore, etc. I also wouldn't count on seeing every individual enemy, like the Emerald Weapon, for instance... but who knows.

My suspicions about what these games would look like collectively is really challenged by the statement that "no location will be skipped". It's not any easy or simple thing to create, if it is going to look at all like the first game, doing anything like that Midgar treatment to... I don't know, 20 key locations? 25? How many are in the original game, would we say? That is a massive, massive amount of work and content, for 2 remaining games.

We will see I guess. I don't know what to make of this at this point.
None of those games are open world. They have an overworld, but they're a means to an end. You move from point A to B on a linear fashion, you don't have side activities, you have to "go east to location X", as the characters tell you. You can't tackle those games in non linear order. You can, at best, say the latter part of FFVI is non linear because you have to "re-recruit" all of your characters and that path is not laid out for you (and it's the part where FFVI is at its weakest).
So, like I said, FF is a linear series. Always been, always will be. Having a overworld doesn't make the game open world.

Last edited:

saintjules

That'll for sure be part 3 (that sequence at least),
almost assuredly they'll end the game at the Northern Crater when all hell breaks lose and meteor is summoned.

Agreed. That's what Max Dood was saying as well. Makes sense!

Batiman

Banned
Are we able to return to Midgar and do some side quests aloe whatever? I’m hoping it’s all connected by the end. If not that’d be super disappointing

Katajx

Gold Member
The wait and speculation about these games are gonna be agonizing.

Yeah, the ending was was out there. I do expect changes, but I don’t think this game is going to go completely off the rails like some are suggesting.

I want to see how they setup the Vincent storyline and the mansion.

bitbydeath

None of those games are open world. They have an overworld, but they're a means to an end. You move from point A to B on a linear fashion, you don't have side activities, you have to "go east to location X", as the characters tell you. You can't tackle those games in non linear order. You can, at best, say the latter part of FFVI is non linear because you have to "re-recruit" all of your characters and that path is not laid out for you (and it's the part where FFVI is at its weakest).
So, like I said, FF is a linear series. Always been, always will be. Having a overworld doesn't make the game open world.
But it is open in terms of letting you go wherever you want, discover secret locations, or revisit old ones to buy stuff from shops.

Swift_Star

Banned
But it is open in terms of letting you go wherever you want, discover secret locations, or revisit old ones to buy stuff from shops.
You can’t go wherever you want. On FFVII the game constantly gatekeep you from going to most places unless you have to go there and optional areas are almost non existent. Even then, this fits a wide linear level design akin to Tales of Arise of FFXII better than an open world.

Sensei

So leaks are

Cloud dying and Zach will be main character for part 3

Genesis combining with Minerva to become Warrior of Light

No playable CID. Different new playable character from Dirge

No mention of Cait Sith
I could live with everything in that leak, more or less, except the second point. I really hope it's just fake.

the_master

Really looking forward to the Gold Saucer, I hope they keep the roller coaster, and I wish they added some more rides (I doubt it but that's what I'd love)

Wait, so this is not an actual remake?
Ok, this has to be a meme at this point lol. There can't be people left who have played part 1 or even heard an inkling of the plot and still believe this.

So leaks are

Cloud dying and Zach will be main character for part 3

Genesis combining with Minerva to become Warrior of Light

No playable CID. Different new playable character from Dirge

No mention of Cait Sith
A part of me wants to believe that Maximillian's prediction will be right and that the first two spoilers...
having playable moments with alternate timeline Zach will essentially be the team finally doing a FF8 Laguna moment the right way(the way that they've been wanting to do since then). So all of that info about Cloud dying and Genesis combining takes place in Zach's timeline, just to show you what could have happened instead. Which means these leaks are meant to throw everyone off
because it was undercooked in FF8 but that entire moment had more potential.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

You can’t go wherever you want. On FFVII the game constantly gatekeep you from going to most places unless you have to go there and optional areas are almost non existent. Even then, this fits a wide linear level design akin to Tales of Arise of FFXII better than an open world.
It’s like GTA, where it limits you in the beginning and becomes fully open later on.
Even Part 1 of FF7R had optional quests.

Part 2, I expect we will get Chocobo breeding, allowing you to get the one that walks on water opening up 3/4 or more of the entire map.

Part 3, we’ll get the Airship, giving access to 100% of the map.

Why would I worry about stuff being cut when one game is turned into three?

I'm more concerned about all the fluff they'll add.
I'm currently playing the Yuffie DLC. It's honestly better than the main game.

Don't care about destiny, time travel, Jenova or school shooter Sephiroth.
But if we can get more Yuffie I'm all in.

Swift_Star

Banned
It’s like GTA, where it limits you in the beginning and becomes fully open later on.
Even Part 1 of FF7R had optional quests.

Part 2, I expect we will get Chocobo breeding, allowing you to get the one that walks on water opening up 3/4 or more of the entire map.

Part 3, we’ll get the Airship, giving access to 100% of the map.
And no open World is required to any of that.

Boneless

Why would I worry about stuff being cut when one game is turned into three?

I'm more concerned about all the fluff they'll add.

"We won't cut content, but we'll pour on some sweet Kingdom Hearts sauce, add some multidimensional shit and top it off with some Whispers. I know.. I'm a genius"

Nomura.

Last edited:

paolo11

Ok, this has to be a meme at this point lol. There can't be people left who have played part 1 or even heard an inkling of the plot and still believe this.

A part of me wants to believe that Maximillian's prediction will be right and that the first two spoilers...
having playable moments with alternate timeline Zach will essentially be the team finally doing a FF8 Laguna moment the right way(the way that they've been wanting to do since then). So all of that info about Cloud dying and Genesis combining takes place in Zach's timeline, just to show you what could have happened instead. Which means these leaks are meant to throw everyone off
because it was undercooked in FF8 but that entire moment had more potential.

Wait so what you mean is on Zach timeline, Cloud dies but the remake timeline (cloud lives)? Is that Max’s prediction?

Go_Ly_Dow

Added the full list of notes to the OP, from Gematsu:

Much more detail here.

•(Regarding why it is called Rebirth rather than Remake 2…) Both Remake and Rebirth have a similar meaning of 'being newly reborn.' Also, if we called it Remake 2, it might give the impression there will be a 3, 4, 5, and so on… as well as that 2 only exists because of 1. This also means that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth can be enjoyed sufficiently on its own.

•The reason for the delay in announcing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was because we were not sure whether it would be a two-part work or trilogy.

•Usually when it comes to the Final Fantasy series, only the core members are retained after the completion of a game, while most of the other staff move over to other teams. However, since the Final Fantasy Remake project was decided to be released in multiple parts from the start, the same team was able to start work on the sequel while maintaining their teamwork, know-how, and momentum, so development has been extremely fast. However, due to the large amount of resources required, there's no time for rest and things are always moving at full speed. The fundamental parts are complete and we're currently in the mass production stage. Development is going well.

•We've already begun work on areas such as the plot and scenario for the third title.

•Just as we created Midgar so that fans of the original Final Fantasy VII can appreciate it, we're taking care to develop Rebirth as not to ruin the image that fans have of the original. For that reason, the volume is quite massive.

•We hear the concerns of fans asking 'Can the story really be told in a trilogy?' and 'Will it be a trimmed down / digest version?,' but it will not be a digest.

•As for whether the game will be open-world or not, that will be announced with the next information release.

•The general systems from Final Fantasy VII Remake will carry over.

•The scene in which Cloud and Sephiroth are walking together in the trailer is a Cloud flashback scene.

•The main characters' 3D models haven't changed. However, some characters have been adjusted, such as Yuffie's model, which we touched up from Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade.

•The focal point of the story hasn't been changed. As for the new mysteries that differ from the original Final Fantasy VII, players of the original will be able to enjoy the game in a new way. The challenge we tackled for this project was how to include those new mysteries without deviating from the original.

•Regarding game progression, there will be some changes. If while you're playing you think 'Was this cut?,' it's because the structure of the story has changed a bit due to the nature of it being a trilogy. Although the order in which you visit some places may change, our policy is essentially not to cut anything.

•It's exclusive to PlayStation 5 because of the graphical quality, of course, as well as SSD access speed. Since the adventure unfolds in a vast world after the escape from Midgar, loading stress is an extreme bottleneck. We felt we needed the specifications of PlayStation 5 to overcome that and travel the world comfortably.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
"We won't cut content, but we'll poor on some sweet Kingdom Hearts sauce, add some multidimensional shit and top it off with some Whispers. I know.. I'm a genius"

Nomura.
I used to ve a fan of his. My how times have changed.

Kingdom hearts did it for me. First one was fun, went downhill from there.

Swift_Star

Banned
It’s required so you can find better weapons, armour and summons since not everything is on the main path.
Like I said, wide linear fits this nicely. Wide linear can have multiple paths. Not only main ones. There’s no need for an open world at all. We have plenty of games with optional areas without being open world.
If this game were to be an open world they’d already said that. It won’t be, it doesn’t fit. That ain’t happening, bud. Don’t expect it, you’ll be disappointed.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Like I said, wide linear fits this nicely. Wide linear can have multiple paths. Not only main ones. There’s no need for an open world at all. We have plenty of games with optional areas without being open world.
If this game were to be an open world they’d already said that. It won’t be, it doesn’t fit. That ain’t happening, bud. Don’t expect it, you’ll be disappointed.

Can you give examples of past "Wide Linear" games...🤔

Wait so what you mean is on Zach timeline, Cloud dies but the remake timeline (cloud lives)? Is that Max’s prediction?
Yes, that's Max's prediction. I think they gave the new version of Crisis Core the subtitle 'Reunion' not just to be cheeky and clever about it, but to actually make it look like part 1 of a 4 part story on purpose, and FF7 Remake is actually considered part 2 of this 4 parter. And if that's the case, the leaks, the differences, and the ending scene of FF7 Remake, would all add up to it being...

A dual story of two separate timelines. Zach might even have a pivotal scene with Genesis where Cloud sees Sephiroth stab Aerith.(which is another scene that Max is predicting) and that Zach will 'feel' Aerith die but not see it.

The ending scene of FF7 Remake wouldn't just be placed there to not be followed up on in a special way. And those spoilers sound just crazy enough to be 'real'.

paolo11

What do you think this means?

“The focal point of the story hasn't been changed. As for the new mysteries that differ from the original Final Fantasy VII, players of the original will be able to enjoy the game in a new way. The challenge we tackled for this project was how to include those new mysteries without deviating from the original.”

Davesky

Yes, that's Max's prediction. I think they gave the new version of Crisis Core the subtitle 'Reunion' not just to be cheeky and clever about it, but to actually make it look like part 1 of a 4 part story on purpose, and FF7 Remake is actually considered part 2 of this 4 parter. And if that's the case, the leaks, the differences, and the ending scene of FF7 Remake, would all add up to it being...

A dual story of two separate timelines. Zach might even have a pivotal scene with Genesis where Cloud sees Sephiroth stab Aerith.(which is another scene that Max is predicting) and that Zach will 'feel' Aerith die but not see it.

The ending scene of FF7 Remake wouldn't just be placed there to not be followed up on in a special way. And those spoilers sound just crazy enough to be 'real'.

Cloud dies in Zack's timeline but it's actually Zack dead and both are part of the same timeline. Cloud literally thinks he is Zack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom