• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Remake: No Locations From The Original Game Will Be Cut (Nomura)

Lethal01

And no open World is required to any of that.
Can you give examples of past "Wide Linear" games...🤔

It will be like if you took Breath of the Wild, divided it into 10 chunk and forced the player to progress through those chunks in a specific order.
Then once all the chunks are unlocked it looks like an open world game for part 3 where you can go anywhere.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
What do you think this means?

“The focal point of the story hasn't been changed. As for the new mysteries that differ from the original Final Fantasy VII, players of the original will be able to enjoy the game in a new way. The challenge we tackled for this project was how to include those new mysteries without deviating from the original.”
It means the main beats will still happen with a few twists, just like in part 1.

Davesky

Regarding game progression, there will be some changes. If while you're playing you think 'Was this cut?,' it's because the structure of the story has changed a bit due to the nature of it being a trilogy. Although the order in which you visit some places may change, our policy is essentially not to cut anything.

So we are going straight from Rocket Town to the Temple of the Ancients then, they want to completely expand on Wutai and it's entire continent hence saving all of that for part 3.

Last edited:
People seem to be forgetting or don't realise how much he took on his persona in the original game. They need a new way to tell that story.
I completely agree. There's so much to dive into and expand when it comes to the original, including Zach's fate and Cloud's mental breakdown being two of those things.
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe this time we can finally get more than just a white flash of the screen and Cloud's character model erratically shaking his head.

Davesky

I completely agree. There's so much to dive into and expand when it comes to the original, including Zach's fate and Cloud's mental breakdown being two of those things.
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe this time we can finally get more than just a white flash of the screen and Cloud's character model erratically shaking his head.

Seeing a black haired spiky dude take the place of Cloud (and your own memories of the game) and then taunted by Sephiroth for it was beyond a mindfuck in the 90’s and by far one of the most memorable moments of the original game.

It was also slightly meta due to the way gamers experienced RPGs back then, still being a slightly new thing and the ambiguity of games at the time causing the player to directly correlate the main characters experiences with his own memories and experiences. They are really going to have to go all out in Rebirth if they want to recreate that same impact for todays audience, hence why I feel this is all one big red herring.

Not to mention illogical.

Cait Sith was seen briefly in Part 1. Even if they altered things where he wasn’t playable until Part 3 I highly doubt he wouldn’t show up in Part 2 in some capacity.
And didn’t SE somehow kinda confirm Genesis won’t be involved with the Remake trilogy? They state Gackt is sick, but he still remains the voice actor for CC with his unaltered lines from the original.

Krathoon

This game was originally on 3 CDs. So, it is really unlikely they would trim stuff down. More like fleshing things out.

Xeaker

This game was originally on 3 CDs. So, it is really unlikely they would trim stuff down. More like fleshing things out.

I guess by fleshing out you mean adding padding to the game? :D

The average time to finish Final Fantasy 7 is around 38 hours.
Remake Part 1 already takes about 33 hours to finish LOL

God this series.

I hated Remake thoroughly for not being authentic to the original. It was a fun and beautiful game to play, it was just a shit FFVII and every narrative and gameplay change for me brought it down.

Deciding to split the game into 3 meant they basically designed themselves into a corner and had to break the intricate gameplay progression of the original to make it work.

These plot changes sound fucking nonsensical and risk destroying the biggest IP the company has, which although this mania seems to be something of a trend for firms of late with multi-decade heritage, internationally beloved IP (e.g Star Wars & Marvel comics), still doesn’t make it a sound approach to corporate growth for companies that live or die by the value of said IP stable fundamentally.

I hope they can knock the next two games out the park and prove me wrong but I don’t fundamentally believe in modern SE to do this justice and whilst I think the games will still play well, I fear they will ruin the legacy of arguably one of the best games ever made.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
God this series.

I hated Remake thoroughly for not being authentic to the original. It was a fun and beautiful game to play, it was just a shit FFVII and every narrative and gameplay change for me brought it down.

Deciding to split the game into 3 meant they basically designed themselves into a corner and had to break the intricate gameplay progression of the original to make it work.

These plot changes sound fucking nonsensical and risk destroying the biggest IP the company has, which although this mania seems to be something of a trend for firms of late with multi-decade heritage, internationally beloved IP (e.g Star Wars & Marvel comics), still doesn’t make it a sound approach to corporate growth for companies that live or die by the value of said IP stable fundamentally.

I hope they can knock the next two games out the park and prove me wrong but I don’t fundamentally believe in modern SE to do this justice and whilst I think the games will still play well, I fear they will ruin the legacy of arguably one of the best games ever made.
You might be overreacting. You thought the game was fun, yet you couldn't fully appreciate it because of pre-conceived notions of what it "should" be, not of what it is.

KiteGr

On part 1 they've turned every fucking screen into a multy hour full blown level and every large enemy into a story boss, in order to turn 7 hours of gameplay into 50.

Yeah...
I believe him that he won't cut a single area.

You might be overreacting. You thought the game was fun, yet you couldn't fully appreciate it because of pre-conceived notions of what it "should" be, not of what it is.
No I could fully appreciate what it was.

It's more that what it was wasn't what I wanted.

Horse for courses if you have a deeper affinity for Remake than me. For me, there were no changes made in Remake that elevated it as superior to the original in any way, with the opposite being true in large part.

Top Bottom