• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV new ATR + Dengeki event on 8/28

her new one

luna4.jpg

But the new one has the benefit of showing far more of the scene, and the older one still doesn't look particularly blank, just determined

Luna looks like she's contemplating ways she could spear Leviathan with the trident. A+ change.

I don't like Velvet's design (its far too chaotic without feeling like it has any point).

I like Aranea's design because it has a lot of complicated parts, but never feels so busy that it detracts from her presence and her class as a character. Despite the boob-window, high-thigh stuff, and boots it still feels like she's well above other characters and she oozes a dragoon feeling (without trying to copy a Kain-like style).

For me Aranea's design (while I certainly could be better) just works.

Yeah, both her and Cindy - as head-slapping as they are with certain elements - are both fairly clean, distinct designs without being too insanely gaudy by a lot of JRPG character design standards. I still really like Aranea's color scheme, and her overall effect is striking.

Dissidia's newly announced Materia, on the other hand... what has science done.

Mailbox

Luna looks like she's contemplating ways she could spear Leviathan with the trident. A+ change.

Yeah, both her and Cindy - as head-slapping as they are with certain elements - are both fairly clean, distinct designs without being too insanely gaudy by a lot of JRPG character design standards. I still really like Aranea's color scheme, and her overall effect is striking.

I can't condone Cindy's obviously oversexualized design, but I overall agree. Especially the bolded.

And lets be honest, Cindy's design is still better than a LOT of designs from X and X-2 :p As for Materia... She looks like a plastic wash bin. One of Nomura's worst designs tbh (though it would have been an interesting design idea is she wasn't basically naked under the wash bin...)

How can I see it from the start? Do I need to wait until is finished ?
If you're looking for just the gameplay, its short and its on a video Dark_Castle posted on the previous page. The stream is mostly talking without subtitles. Its quite boring tbh. Otherwise, just watch the youtube stream and move the cursor to the beginning of the vid and watch...

Lucreto

Aranea is just a typically designed JRPG character with the over the top armour design. I got a Bayonetta vibe off her with the equally bad shoe design.

I always loved the Final Fantasy Dragoon design from Kain to Freya. The Lance dancing (if it's still in the final game) and her armour choices will reflect more on her personality type.

Tyaren

I might get lynched for this...but Roberto Ferrari is in my opinion a great character designer and character artist and superior to somone like Nomura. Nomura creates and draws pretty and detailed anime/manga desings (like Spiritus and Materia for Dissidia) but Ferrari is the more versatile and experienced designer and also the better illustrator. Yes, his designs are sometimes ridiculously sexualized (like Cindy) but apart from that they tend to be sophisticated and well-rounded. He also does a great job to bring Eastern and Western design together to a whole.

I might get lynched for this...but Roberto Ferrari is in my opinion a great character designer and character artist and superior to somone like Nomura. Nomura creates and draws pretty and detailed anime/manga desings (like Spiritus and Materia for Dissidia) but Ferrari is the more versatile and experienced designer and also the better illustrator. Yes, his designs are sometimes ridiculously sexualized (like Cindy) but apart from that they tend to be sophisticated and well-rounded.
Always thought the dude was in charged of tattoo art for advent childre. More like Nomuras assistant.

Tyaren

Always thought the dude was in charged of tattoo art for advent childre. More like Nomuras assistant.

I don't know about that, lol, but you could be right about him being just an assistant to Nomura for a long time. It is not always the actual best ones that are in charge... It might have been hard for Ferrari to work his way up under Nomura...but apparently he now got a great opportunity to show what he can do in FFXV under Tabata...

Some more of Ferrari's work:

33842aa368c5b510631ae761c370ff66.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Roberto-Ferrari-Lana-Bryce.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Art-Roberto-Ferrari.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Weapon-Design-Enrique-Knife.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Knife-Design-Alan-Smithee.jpg

I don't know about that, lol, but you could be right about him being just an assistant to Nomura for a long time. It is not always the actual best ones that are in charge... It might have been hard for Ferrari to work his way up under Nomura...but apparently he now got a great opportunity to show what he can do in FFXV under Tabata...

Some more of Ferrari's work:

33842aa368c5b510631ae761c370ff66.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Roberto-Ferrari-Lana-Bryce.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Art-Roberto-Ferrari.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Weapon-Design-Enrique-Knife.jpg

Death-By-Degrees-Artwork-Knife-Design-Alan-Smithee.jpg
Lol,the examples you posted are awful, sorry , but what designs is he making for FFXV?

For a FFXV stream relevant comment, Tabata is looking cheery and a bit better rested, which is a relief. (Or maybe it's the lighting!) Tabata, when FFXV is done, GAF will buy you a beer so enormous that you'll be able to swim laps in it.

I can't condone Cindy's obviously oversexualized design, but I overall agree. Especially the bolded.

And lets be honest, Cindy's design is still better than a LOT of designs from X and X-2 :p As for Materia... She looks like a plastic wash bin. One of Nomura's worst designs tbh (though it would have been an interesting design idea is she wasn't basically naked under the wash bin...)

Ha, yeah, Cindy's definitely still-dreadfully-questionable design is definitely a lot less cluttered than even the default YRP garb. I enjoyed X-2, but dear lord, what was going on with some of those designs.

Bless you for the gift of calling Materia a plastic wash bin, that will console me through the dark Dissidia days ahead.

Aranea is just a typically designed JRPG character with the over the top armour design. I got a Bayonetta vibe off her with the equally bad shoe design.

Nooooo, Bayo's glorious gun-heels are a gift to humanity. A gift, I say!

I might get lynched for this...but Roberto Ferrari is in my opinion a great character designer and character artist and superior to somone like Nomura. Nomura creates and draws pretty and detailed anime/manga desings (like Spiritus and Materia for Dissidia) but Ferrari is the more versatile and experienced designer and also the better illustrator. Yes, his designs are sometimes ridiculously sexualized (like Cindy) but apart from that they tend to be sophisticated and well-rounded.

I love Nomura's work pre-FFX (also Yuna, etc), but, yeah, definitely been head-scratching at a lot of his designs over the last few years. A lot of his characters suffer from same face syndrome, too - er, literally, in the case of KH. I really like Ferrari's work in general, which is why the more sexualised elements to a lot of his female designs are really frustrating. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with with the FFVII cast in the remake. I'm terrified and curious about Tifa.

About what I expected from a Gamescom recap ATR. The chocobo segment was cool though. Looking forward to what they show at TGS.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We're close to the end now you guys and gals.

Oh I wish. With 3 months to go, I have no doubt there will be plenty of angsty and pessimistic threads (punctuated by equally annoying fanboy boosters!) between now and release.

Mailbox

Oh I wish. With 3 months to go, I have no doubt there will be plenty of angsty and pessimistic threads (punctuated by equally annoying fanboy boosters!) between now and release.

Yeah... Once 15 launches, I'm staying away from gaming forums until i'm done the game. I don't need the impending toxicity those threads and the OT will bring :/

chefbags

Square Enix Japan uploaded the first 30 min of ffxv. I think they shortened the footage a lot more to be more tight.

Not sure what's new as I just started watching it.

https://youtu.be/WpFD6Hcx-Fc

Edit: 9 min and I do think there's background music. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

BocoDragon

Yeah... Once 15 launches, I'm staying away from gaming forums until i'm done the game. I don't need the impending toxicity those threads and the OT will bring :/

I'm already infected with the downward spiral of discussion and convinced that FFXV is the ugliest game since Superman 64 :( Sigh.

Tyaren

Square Enix Japan uploaded the first 30 min of ffxv. I think they shortened the footage a lot more to be more tight.

Edit: 9 min and I do think there's background music. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Wow, Cindy is SO much more bearable in the Japanese version...

Dengeki stream, ps4

Gamescom xbone

The sky is clearly overcast in one of them. That's why it looks duller in the Xbox One version.

Mailbox

Like thats its not a total rehash of the Gamescom gameplay (yeah, things are still cut).

Anywho, did notice a new detail. More weapons/ magic equipped changes stats (not only when chosen). MP, attack, and what looks like speed (idk) change depending on the weapons in your selection.

edit: wow... much bigger difference between Xbox one and ps4 versions of the game than the gamescom video showed... :S

Tyaren

I might be crazy but I think the LOD in this version is slightly better than in the Gamescom build. I don't see any of the PS1 pixeltrees just 15 metres away.
Edit:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the LOD has improved. At least in the PS4 footage. I don't see any pixelated trees in the closer vicinity whereas they were everywhere in the Gamescom build.

Man that scene where Prompto shoots that Cerberus looking thing and Noctis jumps on its horns, jumps in the air then uses Fire in the air was badass. At 27:46.

Mailbox

I might be crazy but I think the LOD in this version is slightly better than in the Gamescom build. I don't see any of the PS1 pixeltrees just 15 metres away.
Edit:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the LOD has improved. At least in the PS4 footage. I don't see any pixelated trees in the closer vicinity whereas they were everywhere in the Gamescom build.

Actually there are 2 more things I noticed in this video.

1: the ps4 and xbox one are (most likely) showing off different builds for some reason. The hud has different elements from the gamescom stuff, better Lods (slightly) and everything looks a lot cleaner (especially at the end of the vid), while the xbox version retains the same hud buttons and looks basically the same as the gamescom vid. edit: looks like later parts of the video also use an older build for ps4 as well... when they start racing chocobos things get less clear and stuff doesn't look as nice... + the hud icons are back to gamescom style

2: When the vid hits the duscae part, we see that the control scheme has changed (basically there is a control scheme where the left face button (x on xbox) is attack and Lb/ L1 is defense)

chefbags

Some new aerial combat footage at the 31 minute mark. It looks awesome. :eek:

Yeah that last few minutes was damn good shit right there. Looks like a lot of fine fighting that beast lol.

The ps4 footage in this footage I think was switched from the gamescom footage.

Like the chocobo part at gamescom was Xbox and here it's ps4.

Mailbox

! I was right!!!

The npc pop-in was totally a Vendor only thing!!! Like in Kh2... or iirc some parts of ff12 (i could be remembering wrong)

BocoDragon

I only clicked through the new video but it does look more optimized. For example Noctis and Not-Yuffie are walking through the street and it's not choppy fps.

Dark_castle

Some new aerial combat footage at the 31 minute mark. It looks awesome. :eek:

The combat in tight spaces in the ice cavern made it felt so messy. I hate how three of the other guys just taking up the screen, preventing me to actually seeing what Noctis is doing, and allowing me study enemy's movement and their attacks to time the parry. Now instead we have to rely on the flashing prompts right in the middle of the damn screen, and guess the timing because of damn uncontrollable party members blocking the view!

chefbags

Can anyone make gifs of Noctis and crew fighting the Griffin beast thing at around 30 min in?

Would be much appreciated thank you!

sappyday

Also yea there seems to be some background music at around 22:46 when they're entering the tomb. Sounds like the track that plays in the chocobo footage from today. I don't think we hear it in the regular master
version.

Edit: also at 26:22. This time they're just running around the duscae area so it can't be a location that switches up music (chocobo ranch, hammerhead, gas station, etc)

Mailbox

Here's the thing though, we see 2 different builds of the game for ps4 in this game. The gamescom build (which looks rough overall) and the newer build which looks a lot cleaner (though some lod issues still persist in hammerhead).

On the Xbox version, we only see the gamescom build (which takes up a majority of the interesting battles in the middle of the video) which looks much lower res'd and has much much worse AA problems. I do, however want to see how the more recent build looks like on Xb one though...

JayBabay

Has it been a requirement for Square to demo the game on a Microsoft console? Wondering because everyone seems so sure that the PS4 version looks better but doesn't explain why they would choose in the past to always use footage that doesn't highlight the game in its best form.

Looks the same as gamescom. LoD, Lighting changes and AA that creates this black rim effect and fuzzyness really need to be fixed for this game to shine visually. I can imagine the technical team can be pleased with how some of those scenes come out.

Mailbox

Also yea there seems to be some background music at around 22:46 when they're entering the tomb. Sounds like the track that plays in the chocobo footage from today. I don't think we hear it in the regular master
version.

Edit: also at 26:22. This time they're just running around the duscae area so it can't be a location that switches up music (chocobo ranch, hammerhead, gas station, etc)

Sounds like a slowed down version of Gratia Mundi. I like it though, seems like travel music when nothing much is happening is in :3

sappyday

Has it been a requirement for Square to demo the game on a Microsoft console? Wondering because everyone seems so sure that the PS4 version looks better but doesn't explain why they would choose in the past to always use footage that doesn't highlight the game in its best form.

What do you mean? Cause the 50 minute video showcases both. At E3 they showed footage at both Sony and Microsoft.

aitakute

English
Iris: You know Noct, this almost feels like a date
Noctis: What? No, not at all (Denying)
Iris: Would it kill you to play along for once? (Kinda sounds angry)

Japanese
Iris: Noct, doesn't this feel like a secret date?
Noctis: I would be punched by your brother if it was
Iris: I wouldn't be surprised (while laughing)

Why the heck does this scene is so different in the Japanese ver compare to English? Not just the dialogues. The whole scene is different

theofficefan99

Why do I see people complaining about pop-in? Like...? It's bound to happen in a game of this scale with so much ambition towards every aspect of the game.

The game looks great to me. Yes there's going to be some graphical hiccups but it's nowhere near ugly and honestly I just don't understand the complaints at all. You can't expect a game of this scale to have the same level of detail as something like The Order 1886 or whatever. Witcher 3 had plenty of little graphical hiccups of its own and I wouldn't expect it to be much different for this game.

Top Bottom