• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's cut content volume is worth bringing up again.

kiphalfton

Square Enix screwed people with the initial release, the royal edition, the mod maker, and the DLC. A buttload of false promises they failed to deliver on.

This could have been a HUGE open world that modders helped fill in the gaps, like the elder scrolls games, but nope SE dropped all support for this game and left it to die essentially.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I for one can't wait for Tabata to announce his new JRPG later this year. I've heard the working title is "It Takes One (Button)" and it's a shoo-in for multiple GotY awards.

Yeah. We even got first hand experience with some of the combat revisions. Episode Duscae 1.0 had some pretty significant differences from the actual game at release and the game seemed to just get more and more simplified with each revision.

As someone who had very little interest for FFXIII back in the day and was all about Versus XIII this is a topic that still chaps my ass.

Holding down the attack button was seriously stupid. Then the “grenade” magic attacks were awful as well. The only thing that made FFXV combat serviceable was airdance. Had they just stuck to copying Kingdom Hearts basic combat, it would have been fine.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean, you don't even know what "this" even might be.

What if that person does the same shit as Luna.

That opening is just at night, you leave that date to fight mechs, they race out of the city with their car, it breaks down....

The game starts.

What if legit....thats it? So...I don't know what to say about all of this besides, we don't really know how any of that really was going to turn out, can someone not really look at the trailers of what FFXV is right now and imagine what they want from it? Lets say, as a hypothetical...what you see from FFXV right now, got delayed or something. All you saw was the trailers...you might say "i want this" not knowing how bad FFXV would turn out, so....how do you know this wasn't going to just be more of the same? This is the biggest issue I have with a lot of this btw as its not that I don't wonder myself what this would have turned out as, simply that if so much of the story was done poorly, its possible what ever was done before, was just as bad.

Why would I need a few scenes to fix 100 hours of a bad game?

So, I think you want what you thought "this" was going to be, if they ever do some directors cut in the future or remake, remaster etc and add all of that, for all we know it might be just as bad as FFXV turned out or something lol.

One day.
Okay I would like to see how this version would have played out, the world seemed slightly different to it and looks to have played slightly different.
Be interesting to see it.
I definitely like the style of it so I'm interested to see what could have been.

Last edited:

NT80

Is Final Fantasy 16 also in trouble the way Versus 13 was? I don't think there's been anything new shown since the gameplay reveal 2 years ago and doesn't seem like there's any new info on the horizon either.

It's a shame since I found the 4 mains to be great. The story I wish was more complete. I'm just not a fan of the world. I wanted a Fantasy World not Earth 2.0 with magic and monsters

EDMIX

Okay I would like to see how this version would have played out, the world seemed slightly different with looks to have played slightly different

You still fight mechs in the main game, that area is still in the main game and the writer who literally wrote the story was ok with the changes as the general idea of what they had was still intact, which tells me.....what was removed might have been for the good of that game and it may have not contributed as much as many might think. I don't think Square is spending almost 10 years on this, to remove a massive amount. Look at Luna, for fuck sakes...SHE IS IN THE GAME, yet you can look at the trailers about that whole wedding thats going to happen and her character and would be dead wrong about how its executed in the final game, thus...what you saw from the actual FFXV trailers, didn't fucking magically turn into a Romantic love story for the ages.

Could one not argue, that what you saw from those Versus 13 trailers may have been just as limited on how the final game would play it if left just like that?

So because of how Luna's character and story plays out, even how the main bad guys story plays out, it seems like what you see in the trailers is simply a snippet into what the final game is actually about, one could just say the very same thing about what you saw regarding that world. Mechs are still in, you start the game during the day vs night and a love interest is in the game. So I stand by that the final game might be just as bad as what they removed lol I still like FFXV, but I don't hold onto this idea that what was cut was somehow going to massively change that game. I still wonder what it would be like, but I wondered about FFXV's story before release watching trailers of the final game and the story was still bad lol Who knows.

talk about Versus 13, here is Kingdom Heart 4 teaser trailer announced

Verum Rex is real, Versus 13 alive in KH4?

lol yea...no.

This is more forced into some fanfiction area then even the whole cut stuff from FFXV. You telling me even showing a fucking modern city is getting people to believe that shit is in the game?

Come on now man, unless they are literally telling you this, I don't see anything regarding Versus 13 or this "Verum Rex" in that KH4 teaser. I see a modern city......thats it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You still fight mechs in the main game, that area is still in the main game and the writer who literally wrote the story was ok with the changes as the general idea of what they had was still intact, which tells me.....what was removed might have been for the good of that game and it may have not contributed as much as many might think. I don't think Square is spending almost 10 years on this, to remove a massive amount. Look at Luna, for fuck sakes...SHE IS IN THE GAME, yet you can look at the trailers about that whole wedding thats going to happen and her character and would be dead wrong about how its executed in the final game, thus...what you saw from the actual FFXV trailers, didn't fucking magically turn into a Romantic love story for the ages.

Could one not argue, that what you saw from those Versus 13 trailers may have been just as limited on how the final game would play it if left just like that?

So because of how Luna's character and story plays out, even how the main bad guys story plays out, it seems like what you see in the trailers is simply a snippet into what the final game is actually about, one could just say the very same thing about what you saw regarding that world. Mechs are still in, you start the game during the day vs night and a love interest is in the game. So I stand by that the final game might be just as bad as what they removed lol I still like FFXV, but I don't hold onto this idea that what was cut was somehow going to massively change that game. I still wonder what it would be like, but I wondered about FFXV's story before release watching trailers of the final game and the story was still bad lol Who knows.
I don't really care about that, not really interested in changing what FFXV turned out like either.
Just curious what they had originally planned and would have liked to see it, bit like RE1.5
be interesting to see what could have been

Last edited:

EDMIX

I don't really care about that, not really interested in changing what FFXV turned out like either.
Just curious what they had originally planned and would have liked to see it, bit like RE1.5
be interesting to see what could have been

You'll see with the remaster ,remake, directors cut, special edition, remix, anniversary edition......1.5X lol

Knowing Square, its inevetable. They can just add all those scenes in, add all the movie stuff in order of the events thru the game etc and we can see once and for all if it was really all that we thought it was.

Reactions: TGO

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sorry for the necro, i was just getting frustrated at how incomplete ffxv is, especially with all of the years of false promises leading up to its release. The biggest gut punch is still the e3 2013 trailer, for fuck sake i want that game! Maybe the ps4/and xbox one werent powerful enough to realize that ambition, or maybe they ran out of time? In hignsight i really appreciate ffxvi’s marketing. I like that they are keeping much of the gameplay itself close to the chest until launch, and the trailers dont seem to be promising some grand overly ambitious game that will get chopped to bits like ffxv did. Everything shown so far looks very reasonable for the target hardware and quite good! Forgoing the open world was the right move, id rather have multiple varied and detailed open zones than one smallish open world with little variety, interspersed by linear hallways “cough final fantasy xv, and halo infinite cough”

Larxia

Hey this thread again :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I did another video about the out of bounds and modding a few months ago, if anyone wants to see more:

The goal was to make a showcase about what it could have been if it was more complete, with more freedom etc.

I will never be able to give a clear opinion about FF XV, it's definitely broken with so much missing stuff, lot of problems, but I still somehow love still, it's a fascinating project which I wish ended differently.

Go_Ly_Dow

I did another video about the out of bounds and modding a few months ago, if anyone wants to see more:

The goal was to make a showcase about what it could have been if it was more complete, with more freedom etc.

I will never be able to give a clear opinion about FF XV, it's definitely broken with so much missing stuff, lot of problems, but I still somehow love still, it's a fascinating project which I wish ended differently.

That was stunning. XV and what could have been if given more time and the creative love it deserved would have been remembered as one of the finest in the series, that I have no doubt of. .

The assets are vast (both used and unused) and of high quality (in-game and CGI), so I think Square should give BDU-1 (Kitase-Nomura-Hamaguchi) a crack at producing a VersusXV. XV has just about sold over 10mil copies now so I think it would sell well, amongst both those who loved what we got and those who hated it (like me) that wanted what was first teased.

Port it all over to UE5, current gen/PC release, re-develop the combat system, character switching, Stella, prologue in Insomnia, cinematic quality akin to FF7R, improve first world map, complete second world map, explorable Tenebrae, Nifelheim and rebooted narrative. 3 year development given how much groundwork is done.

Please 🥳

fallingdove

I think FFXV turned out as good as it was going to. With that hack Nomura, anything excluded was likely along the lines of Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core nonsense.

Really hope FFXVI presses the reset button. With the trailers alone, cringe and gobbledygook have been turned down from 12 to 5.

Larxia

That was stunning. XV and what could have been if given more time and the creative love it deserved would have been remembered as one of the finest in the series, that I have no doubt of. .

The assets are vast (both used and unused) and of high quality (in-game and CGI), so I think Square should give BDU-1 (Kitase-Nomura-Hamaguchi) a crack at producing a VersusXV. XV has just about sold over 10mil copies now so I think it would sell well, amongst both those who loved what we got and those who hated it (like me) that wanted what was first teased.

Port it all over to UE5, current gen/PC release, re-develop the combat system, character switching, Stella, prologue in Insomnia, cinematic quality akin to FF7R, improve first world map, complete second world map, explorable Tenebrae, Nifelheim and rebooted narrative. 3 year development given how much groundwork is done.

Please 🥳
Thank you! And yes, everything you just said sounds amazing, but I doubt that would ever happen, FF XV is done and most people don't want to go back to it I think, but it does sound like a dream for me. Or maybe in 15 years if they decide to do a remake who knows, although I doubt it would be on that scale.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In the game they never make it sound like if a city populated with millions was completely destroyed. You just see a newspaper lol.
Of course you go back there later but it's strange. Like if it was taken over night.
I love this game, it's one of my favs as is. but man reminds me of Alan Wake. Every level is set on the huge map you can noclip around

Last edited:

Larxia

In the game they never make it sound like if a city populated with millions was completely destroyed. You just see a newspaper lol.
Of course you go back there later but it's strange. Like if it was taken over night.
I love this game, it's one of my favs as is. but man reminds me of Alan Wake. Every level is set on the huge map you can noclip around
The comparison of the world with Alan Wake is pretty interesting, you're right. I knew Alan Wake was supposed to be open world but I was really suprised when I saw some out of bounds video, and how much of this world was actually still there.

Go_Ly_Dow

Thank you! And yes, everything you just said sounds amazing, but I doubt that would ever happen, FF XV is done and most people don't want to go back to it I think, but it does sound like a dream for me. Or maybe in 15 years if they decide to do a remake who knows, although I doubt it would be on that scale.
I think it's quite unlikely, but not impossible as Tabata left the company and Nomura probably already being prepared for the next project after FF7R. Would only make sense to do it now as PS6/7 era the assets will be outdated, whilst now they still hold up and look fantastic so they can repuropose them all to save a lot of time and money. Very unlikely, but no doubt Nomura has some unfinished business here he may want to revisit someday.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was really looking forward to episode Aranea :messenger_loudly_crying:
We all were
9gBFG3t.jpg

Certinty

Shame to see all this. I played through the game at launch and upto like chapter 7 I loved it, the rest after was pure shit though. Oh, what could have been.

Klosshufvud

Wow thanks for this video. I really liked FFXV despite its uneven structure. There was something about its sheer ambition that I could really appreciate. I also had good time doing the side content. Which IMO is some of the best in any FF game yet. It's obviously a shame the team was restricted to pretty limited hardware and also extremely tight production pace. Their ambitions were clearly through the roof. Something that's always admirable.

By the way, there was another video called "Beauty of FFXV 4K" that was on Youtube. It was fan-made and I looked everywhere but I can't find it. It really showcased the extraordinary aspects of FFXV.

Chukhopops

I actually never played it, is it worth a go? What other game is it closest to?
It really depends whether you’re interested in the combat aspect, the JRPG aspect or the open world aspect.

The game is mediocre in every aspect but it will influence what you should play instead.

As for what it is closest to, I would say something semi-open world with real time combat like Xenoblade Chronicles? Not nearly as good though.

One of the worst games I have ever played. Absolute abomination. Shit is held together by duct tape and the corpse of a failed previous project. It was originally FF Versus XIII and apart of that stupid Fabulnobodygivesafuck crystal saga.

nocsi

One of the worst games I have ever played. Absolute abomination. Shit is held together by duct tape and the corpse of a failed previous project. It was originally FF Versus XIII and apart of that stupid Fabulnobodygivesafuck crystal saga.
You're very lucky then if this is the worst game you've ever played

Griffon

It is indeed a tragedy.

The FF14 1.0 disaster killed Versus XIII, siphoning all their staff to work on a Realm Reborn. And when things finally got back to normal, Nomura just gets fired from his own brainchild project.

FF15 was a massive L.

Top Bottom