• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 20 Review Thread

Bullet Club

cNoVnSl.jpg

61EBB1F.png

VG24/7: 4/5
Without much cosmetic polish to fall back on, FIFA 20 needed to bring something new to the table. Although the core gameplay isn’t mind-blowingly different, it’s still the best football game, and the addition of VOLTA is a whole new way to play.

IGN: 7.8/10
Volta brings new life into the series, but on the whole FIFA 20 is an adequate but underwhelming entry into the series.

Eurogamer
FIFA 20 is all these things but it's also better than FIFA 19. I've already played loads of games against Eurogamer's second-best FIFA player, Chris Tapsell, and I've had a great laugh. I've scored some screamers. I've lost to added time goals. We've leapt off the sofa at shocking refereeing decisions, missed open goals by Marcus Rashford and magic from Mason Mount. We've picked apart the game, worked out what's changed, what's better and what's worse. We've had bloody good fun. And it's all undermined by corporate greed and a stubborn refusal to do what's right.

Telegraph: 4/5
The company has, perhaps justifiably, been accused of prioritising profits over gameplay but the emphasis has evidently now shifted to attention time. FIFA’s main competitor is now no longer football games, it’s free-to-play shooters. And that might prove to be the series’ toughest match up yet.

Gameblog: 7/10
FIFA 20 est dans la veine de son aîné. Rapide, plus léger dans son gameplay, mais les dribbles passent toujours aussi facilement, et demeure toujours fortement porté sur le jeu offensif. Les développeurs misent toujours sur l'aspect football spectacle avec des passes supersoniques et un dynamisme qui ne laisse que peu de place à la construction et à la temporisation. Ce n'est pas avec ce cru que le réalisme sera au rendez-vous mais pour autant, les amateurs de cette recette y trouveront leur compte. Le côté défensif a toutefois été légèrement revu, mais dans l'ensemble on retrouve la même recette que l'année dernière. L'ajout du mode VOLTA est fort heureusement un très bon argument, alors que les retouches du mode Carrière sont bienvenues et le mode FUT toujours solide, avec ses menus enfin simplifiés, pour notre plus grand bonheur.

Attack of the Fanboy: 4/5
FIFA 20 makes marginal improvements to an already successful formula in its core modes and offers something exciting in Volta.

DualShockers: 7.5/10
FIFA 20 excellent Volta mode, engaging changes to Ultimate Team, and potentially cool features to Career Mode don't make up for subpar soccer gameplay.

Last edited:
Of all 8s and 9s, I have to agree with ign. It’s the same gameplay, rinse and repeat. It’s more of a card collection game with an element of real time play.

Ma-Yuan

Its fucking Fifa. I bought exactly one Fifa game :D Fifa 64 for my N64. Ok I admit it was a shitty port back then but that set me up for live its footbal or soccer :D

I am astonished that it really sells bonkers every year and I know people take days of when it comes out. I mean nearly everyone can play football in real live. I always say I like to play videogames to have an experience you can not get in real live thats why sport games seem to be useless to me^^ I am also a shitty Fifa player I really suck.

ruvikx

Banned
I played the demo. It's the same as previous Fifas (definitely from 17 onwards when they switched to Frostbite) except they've made the players even more sluggish & tank-like. Some people call that "simulation", I call it f*cking horrible. Each to their own, but it's been getting less & less fun to play for several years now.

Cattlyst

Waiting for the Switch FIFA 20 'legacy edition' reviews that are just copied and pasted from last year. That's all EA deserves.

With the truly silly money EA make with this game and the fact that offline demographic is slowly shrinking, I don't understand why EA doesn't just make this free to play at this point. For the sake of a few new stadiums, Player faces and updated kits which are just texture swaps - There really isn't much incentive to pay £50 a year for this.

Of course it's cut throat business and EA know people will pay full price for this like a bunch of suckers, Why would they stop? Goodwill Gesture? LMAO!

But they fucking should especially when there seems to be no shortage of stories of people racking up huge depts and kids being tricked into spending their parents money on this game that's designed to be addictive and unethical. It's fucking Black Mirror football is what it is.

Shagger

Banned
With the truly silly money EA make with this game and the fact that offline demographic is slowly shrinking, I don't understand why EA doesn't just make this free to play at this point. For the sake of a few new stadiums, Player faces and updated kits which are just texture swaps - There really isn't much incentive to pay £50 a year for this.

Of course it's cut throat business and EA know people will pay full price for this like a bunch of suckers, Why would they stop? Goodwill Gesture? LMAO!

But they fucking should especially when there seems to be no shortage of stories of people racking up huge depts and kids being tricked into spending their parents money on this game that's designed to be addictive and unethical. It's fucking Black Mirror football is what it is.

I guess the current system is just to lucrative. You're right though, there is no technical reason they can have this game an online experience and just update team line, strips and so on with updates. Fans I think would appreciate that, but who in EA cares about them, eh?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not that I care about any gaming "journalist" but whoever praises the game should be blacklisted and ashamed. Even my hardcore friend who only plays Fifa nonstop acknowledges that it's the same fucking crap and EA should fucking die but at the same time he's addicted to it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's the same old shit year after year.

this gets reworked or that gets totally redesigned! or there is ALL NEW physics on a fucking piece of inflated rubber.

whoooopdefuckindooo!!

Last edited:
I played a regular match and then tried a volta mode match in the Fifa 20 demo and then deleted it from my pc as the gameplay is shit. I'm not sure what the full version of PES2020 plays like but the demo was pretty good so I'll buy that when I've time to play it in a few weeks.

Sadly Konami usually ruin the nice realistic demo gameplay after the Fifa pingpong passing jizzbags complain about it being too slow.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

I played a regular match and then tried a volta mode match in the Fifa 20 demo and then deleted it from my pc as the gameplay is shit. I'm not sure what the full version of PES2020 plays like but the demo was pretty good so I'll buy that when I've time to play it in a few weeks.

Sadly Konami usually ruin the nice realistic demo gameplay after the Fifa pingpong passing jizzbags complain about it being too slow.
Yeah Konami already nerfed the dribbling/skill moves in the final version and it is definitely a downgrade compared to the demo. PES 2020 is still better than FIFA 20 but has its own share of BS to deal with like players not reacting to loose balls, dodgy contact/defending/refereeing and it is way too easy to get the ball up the pitch because of all the space b/w the midfield and the defense.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Yeah Konami already nerfed the dribbling/skill moves in the final version and it is definitely a downgrade compared to the demo. PES 2020 is still better than FIFA 20 but has its own share of BS to deal with like players not reacting to loose balls, dodgy contact/defending/refereeing and it is way too easy to get the ball up the pitch because of all the space b/w the midfield and the defense.
Patch is incoming to address some of what you said...albeit it in late October...though there won't be any changes in terms of getting it to play like the demo....well at least not in the 1st patch anyway....all depends on the feedback they get after patch 1...

Nightrunner

Patch is incoming to address some of what you said...albeit it in late October...though there won't be any changes in terms of getting it to play like the demo....well at least not in the 1st patch anyway....all depends on the feedback they get after patch 1...
Yeah they might patch the passing/spacing issue and players reacting to loose balls but I wouldn't raise my hopes too much as far as the main experience goes. Both footie games are flawed in their own ways and with the increased focus on MTX I think that's gonna be the case for the foreseeable future. Such a shame too because they really had something good going for them with the demo.

RAIDEN1

Yeah they might patch the passing/spacing issue and players reacting to loose balls but I wouldn't raise my hopes too much as far as the main experience goes. Both footie games are flawed in their own ways and with the increased focus on MTX I think that's gonna be the case for the foreseeable future. Such a shame too because they really had something good going for them with the demo.
They are also looking to patch the refereeing side of things as well, as before you could get away with Rugby tackles (or something of that ilk) and in the demo the referee would whistle for nigh on nearly everything....part of me is thinking about getting both games, FIFA for Volte football...PES for on the grass-pitch action....though I am not in a huge hurry to part with my money on both yet....more so with the patch coming end of october for PES....one question I do have is....with Juve not being officially licensed is there a way to re-edit what they are currently known as? And aside from the team name change, are all the Juve players ie Ronaldo in it?

Nightrunner

They are also looking to patch the refereeing side of things as well, as before you could get away with Rugby tackles (or something of that ilk) and in the demo the referee would whistle for nigh on nearly everything....part of me is thinking about getting both games, FIFA for Volte football...PES for on the grass-pitch action....though I am not in a huge hurry to part with my money on both yet....more so with the patch coming end of october for PES....one question I do have is....with Juve not being officially licensed is there a way to re-edit what they are currently known as? And aside from the team name change, are all the Juve players ie Ronaldo in it?
In regards to your question all the players are there, only the kits/team name/crest and stadium have been replaced with generic stuff. You can edit the .db file on PC to rename the team though it would probably trigger anti-cheat and result in a ban given you're tampering with the file. Volta certainly looks good but I'm gonna wait until the 24th to see how the final game turns out.

Edited for clarification

Last edited:
Top Bottom