• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 22 will feature "hypermotion", a new animation tech, on next gen consoles and Stadia only. NOT on PC, aligned to old gen consoles versions

Gaelyon

Gold Member
FIFA is a huge, huge EA licence nearly everywhere in the world outside the US.
According to Eurogamer and many others news site after the FIFA 22 reveal of yesterday, the game will feature a new tech for players animations called "Hypermotion" which use both Xsens suit for motion capturing and machine learning :

"Xsens suits record every touch, tackle, sprint and duel from all 22 players playing at high intensity for the first time ever, capturing data that powers over 4000 new animations in FIFA 22 to raise the footballing intensity, responsiveness, and physicality of every player in the game."

"A cutting-edge proprietary machine learning algorithm learns from over 8.7 million frames of advanced match capture, then writes new animations in real time to create organic football realism across a variety of interactions on the pitch."

But EA as announced that Hypermotion will only be available to PS5, Xbox S/X and Stadia. All the others versions, including PC version, won't have Hypermotion at all.

But why not on PC, since PC are scalable and it could simply be a toggable option ?

Well, it seem it's a choice made to not raise the min spec required for PC :

"Executive producer Aaron McHardy said EA took the decision to keep the PC minimum specs down, "so that we can open the doors and be inclusive to everybody who wants to play FIFA."
"When we looked at what generation to put the PC game on, we looked at our fans and what capabilities they had with the hardware they have," McHardy said.

"And we have that information to understand what the power of the PCs out there in the world are. And when we looked at that, in order to run the gen five game, our min spec would have been at a spot that would have left a lot of people out in the cold not being able to play the game.

"So we made the choice to keep the PC version of the game on the gen four version of FIFA so that we can open the doors and be inclusive to everybody who wants to play FIFA."

EUROGAMER Article on FIFA 22

So, what do you think about this ? A next gen console only feature cut off from PC because of the min spec required for it ?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The average PC consumer of FIFA doesn’t have the rig to support these features. It makes sense to me.

We can argue all we want about our anecdotal experiences, but in the end, EA has the data about their players. If they think they will lose customers by making the game more demanding then they will drop the features.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
0b23bc28e323f1a447f06ccc6720eaaa_400x400.png

JLB

Banned
None of that explains why it couldn't be scalable with an option to enable it; sounds like they didn't want to make the effort to engineer another build of the game tbh.

Not that they need to openly say what are the technical reasons of it.
I guess that if hypermotion would have been simple to implement, it'd be there.

Neilg

None of that explains why it couldn't be scalable with an option to enable it; sounds like they didn't want to make the effort to engineer another build of the game tbh.

Something like this wont work in multiplayer with one person with it off and another with it on. The physics are tied to the animations.

Reizo Ryuu

Something like this wont work in multiplayer with one person with it off and another with it on. The physics are tied to the animations.
Even if that's true, of course it will, just have a checkmark that says: "disable automatically when needed for extended matchmaking".

Ellery

I guess it is no big deal since people who have a brand new gaming graphics card paid 2000$ for it and they have no more money left to buy actual games.

Jokes aside. Fuck EA

Gaelyon

Gold Member
the trailer said it was available on stadia which doesn’t make sense.

Well Stadia, like consoles, has a fixed hardware. On PC the min spec required is lower.
As far as i know, i don't think of a single case where a AAA game has some tech removed on PC version comparing to the consoles ? Usually it's toggable on the graphic menu.
I suppose that Hypermotion will totally change the players animations and you can't play two versions one with against the other without maybe ?

So, in a way, it's a first on video games, AAA game on PC pulled down techwise by the low level of min spec required (for sales result obviously) compare to "next" but actually current gen consoles. Weird.

JLB

Banned
Well Stadia, like consoles, has a fixed hardware. On PC the min spec required is lower.
As far as i know, i don't think of a single case where a AAA game has some tech removed on PC version comparing to the consoles ? Usually it's toggable on the graphic menu.
I suppose that Hypermotion will totally change the players animations and you can't play two versions one with against the other without maybe ?

So, in a way, it's a first on video games, AAA game on PC pulled down techwise by the low level of min spec required (for sales result obviously) compare to "next" but actually current gen consoles. Weird.

Its probably the case. Specially considering that even on consoles, for example, PS5 and Series players of Fifa 21 cant play with Fifa 21 on PS4/XO. (which, btw, is a pain in the ass because most of players are on last gen so really low online players).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I need to really see this hypermotion in action. Must be a pretty big deal to only be on next gen consoles.

I would love to experience it, but the XSX and PS5 will probably still be impossible to get hold of by October 1st.

Also, slightly off topic, but I like the sound of creating your own team in Career mode. It'll be like the old LMA manger games, where you could create your own dream team, complete with kit and stadium (yes, I still play the shit out of FIFA career mode)

Azurro

Banned
Most people's PCs aren't i9s/ R5900x with an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3700, most people have pretty humble builds. People here that think every feature can be just implemented as a scalable slider have never worked in large software projects. People aren't being lazy, they have very limited development time for each version, these things need a minimum amount of performance and implementing the feature as a toggle was most likely not straight forward (otherwise it would have been there, it's hardly ever the case of just adding an if/else statement).

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Most people's PCs aren't i9s/ R5900x with an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3700, most people have pretty humble builds. People here that think every feature can be just implemented as a scalable slider have never worked in large software projects. People aren't being lazy, they have very limited development time for each version, these things need a minimum amount of performance and implementing the feature as a toggle was most likely not straight forward (otherwise it would have been there, it's hardly ever the case of just adding an if/else statement).
It runs on series S 🤷‍♂️ and you don't need a i9 or anything close to run this believe me. Its the same shit that they did with 2021, it wasn't even using 50% of the power in those consoles. And there was no ML learning or something. Just same old fifa with upgraded faces and hair.

Azurro

Banned
It runs on series S 🤷‍♂️ and you don't need a i9 or anything close to run this believe me. Its the same shit that they did with 2021, it wasn't even using 50% of the power in those consoles. And there was no ML learning or something. Just same old fifa with upgraded faces and hair.

Do most people have the same CPU as featured on the Series S? Do they have the same SSD features? I wouldn't say so. And you throw those terms around, that they just swap some textures and change the names on the back and call it a day, but even with the limited amount of development time, there are new features, gameplay changes, new players to scan and so on. You might not like sports titles, and I wouldn't expect you to, as most people here pretend sports games don't exist, and just use them as an excuse to criticise EA.

To be fair, that criticism isn't unwarranted, but it is very much a throw away criticism when some obviously wrong points get brought up, like that they just update the rosters and uniforms. The developers as well get criticism out of ignorance, but releasing so many versions every year really do take a lot of work, and there are reasons behind why people take these decisions, you might not like them but those projects with such tight constraints have to take decisions like that all the time.

ClosBSAS

lol well tell that to my 4 tflps series s that runs it at 1080p....come on man. a 1050 on a laptop with a generic ssd can run fifa 21 on highest settings at 60fps. Raising the bar for such a shitty update on these next gen versions is not going to make you lose your PC audience. Its such a small audience cause of the shit they pull all the time. Its disgusting. They have absolutely no reason to give us the last gen versions when the new BF is just around the corner, and believe me, there are millions who will play bf and they have a decent enough pc to play it.

so why is fifa left out....lazy ass EA being slezy assholes as always.

We all know the small changes they make are not enough for a 70 dollar purchase and you know it as well, you are tryin to defend a model thats just ridiculous and hurting th eindustry. And no, releasing the same version every year doesnt take a lot of work. its copy paste on the same engine with some minor updates and hell, do you really believe EA makes changes like the ones they feature on their trailers? come on man. you cant be that naiive. its all bs marketing, fifa hasnt changed since fifa 17 and the last major fifa was fifa 10. adding a storymode which btw, its gone now, to cover up the BS gameplay that even pros criticize is not good development.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
lol well tell that to my 4 tflps series s that runs it at 1080p....come on man. a 1050 on a laptop with a generic ssd can run fifa 21 on highest settings at 60fps. Raising the bar for such a shitty update on these next gen versions is not going to make you lose your PC audience. Its such a small audience cause of the shit they pull all the time. Its disgusting. They have absolutely no reason to give us the last gen versions when the new BF is just around the corner, and believe me, there are millions who will play bf and they have a decent enough pc to play it.

so why is fifa left out....lazy ass EA being slezy assholes as always.

What would they have to earn by not releasing a last gen build for PC using the Series X as a base? They want those same people with a 1050 to be able to buy the FIFA 22 version and play it just as well, the requirements for the next generation version perhaps just use higher specs as a base.

It's not them being "sleazy" or the devs "lazy", it's just the PCMR audience throwing a tantrum (which is funny since those people with subpar graphics cards and cpus that buy games are the only reason publishers pay attention to that market to begin with).

They are probably telling you the truth, you just don't like it.

kiphalfton

Turns out the biggest barrier to high-end PC gaming is poor people!

Always had been. Not just PC, but consoles/handheld consoles as well. For multiplatform games, devs have to develop the game with the least-powerful hardware in mind, and it always fucks us all. That's why I wish Nintendo would get up to speed, and stop being money grubbers, as they're holding all the other consoles/PC back.

keraj37

Sport games are sole reason I went into console gaming so it is no news to me.

Will FIFA 22 has at least nextgen faces and other details on PC? Or it is going to be continuation of FIFA 21 PC?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Do most people have the same CPU as featured on the Series S? Do they have the same SSD features? I wouldn't say so. And you throw those terms around, that they just swap some textures and change the names on the back and call it a day, but even with the limited amount of development time, there are new features, gameplay changes, new players to scan and so on. You might not like sports titles, and I wouldn't expect you to, as most people here pretend sports games don't exist, and just use them as an excuse to criticise EA.

To be fair, that criticism isn't unwarranted, but it is very much a throw away criticism when some obviously wrong points get brought up, like that they just update the rosters and uniforms. The developers as well get criticism out of ignorance, but releasing so many versions every year really do take a lot of work, and there are reasons behind why people take these decisions, you might not like them but those projects with such tight constraints have to take decisions like that all the time.
Do you really think that Fifa 21 pushed the cpu and the ssd in those consoles? there was nothing in the game that coulnd't be done on slower ssd or cpu, the ai was even dumber than Fifa 20 wich was worse than 19. the Defence is soo stupid in 21 that they don't even go or do what you command. Its all random and luck, before it was 80% skill and 20% luck nowedays its 50% luck and 50% skill.

A.Romero

Damn it! Good thing I get EA Play together with Gamepass so I can play a couple of matches without giving a dime to EA (I used to wait until they were under $5).

I can't think of other situation where an inferior port was released on PC arguing high end player base not big enough.

The pnly good thibg about fifa is pro cluvs, the vietusl leagues are intense , 11v11 stuff, but ea ignores it every year, the sad part is it has more potential than fkn fut

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
True, but then again... Do Stadia have an audience at all?
Not big but it's growing at a steady path.
3 millions downloads for the Android app (not counting all PC and Apple users)
300K hits for the Stadia thread on Era which is quite good.

Stadia's biggest problem is communication. Tech is awesome, library is good, not breathtaking but finally good.
Many gamers just need to test it to understand it could be a good opportunity for them. (disapointed by the lack of Switch Pro ? Stadia is there for Nintendo fans... They can play AAA without high end PC or PS5)

Games like Fifa 22 featuring new tech (not on PC) will help Stadia a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom