• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA offering license to several entities (C. Dring)

Bryank75

Banned
It's gonna be a licensing shitshow. FIFA license doesn't mean much, EA could still have a lot of club and player licenses. What might happen is that certain clubs are only in certain games. It's gonna be fucked up.

Like if gaming went streaming or sub based in the future.... every publisher with their own service. Total crap.

But if people keep paying, it enables this destructive stuff.

Bryank75

Banned
I think the bigger question is what entity could afford to pay 1/2 of what FIFA wants from EA, while still producing a half way decent game any time soon.

Well if Xbox go for it, that will trigger Sony to also go for it...... so it could be a bidding war. Or the clubs licenses and individual likenesses might be what one goes for....

If one gets the licence this year, I doubt they get anything out for over 18 months at the earliest too.... will be a mess. Probably would take 2 -3 years for any decent game.

FIFA rights should be given to Psyonix. Rocket League is the closest to real football we’ve gotten since the last 6 years.
sorry but you're talking bullshit.

EA are cunts but they make the best selling football game out right now. Psyonix make a game about CARS playing something like football. why on earth would you think they could make a good football game?

if FIFA take the rights off EA then the next best option is actually Konami. As much as their football games suck they actually have some idea about WTF they are doing. there's really not anyone else out there that could pull a football game out their ass. well, i suppose there is Sports Interactive (Sega) who make the Football Manager games. That's a management simulator but their engine does have support for basic 3D football players/stadiums etc. it would be a lot of work to match FIFA but who knows....

Last edited:

xHunter

Hmmm this will be interesting. Wonder how people will react..... will they just play the EA made game or jump ship because of a license....
People wont jump so easily. In the end, losing rights to the teams wont change a lot, we have been seeing a lot of teams with fake names in fifa this year alone. I think any compeition is gonna have a pretty tough road ahead to get the playerbase to switch.

It's one thing having the licensing, but I really don't think there'll be many out their queuing up to take on EA's behemoth.
i'm sure plenty of studios would love the FIFA money but the reality is there are only really 3 studios/publishers out there that are somewhat prepared to make a football game and that's EA, Konami, Sega. Anyone else would need to sink all that money into hiring staff and updating their engine or creating a new one from scratch. it's very likely that anyone who takes it on will not make a profit for years.

Reactions: JLB

kyliethicc

EA - LaLiga Futbol Ultimate Team 23
EA - World Cup Futbol Ultimate Team Qatar 22
Take Two - EPL 2K23
Sony - UEFA Champions League The Show 23
Activision - Bundesliga Fußball 23
Sega - Serie A Calcio 23
Ubisoft - Ligue 1 Football 23
Microsoft - Major League Soccer Game Pass 23
Konami - eFootball 2023

Hmmm this will be interesting. Wonder how people will react..... will they just play the EA made game or jump ship because of a license....

People will go where the great gameplay, graphics, FIFA brand name, authentic clubs + player likenesses, and great reviews are.

It's the culmination of all these that the EA FIFA games sell in the tens of millions, oh and FUT or a copy of it.

I think the bigger question is what entity could afford to pay 1/2 of what FIFA wants from EA, while still producing a half way decent game any time soon.

True, I don't see it... FIFA wanted $250m a year from EA. That's insane.

Subsidize the license fee to 50 million for 5 studios or 25 million for 10 studios.

Once you lower down the licensing fee and take out exclusivity, every medium sized studio who are interested in sports games, will find a way to get on the yearly billion dollar microtransactions pie.

I know it's easier said than done, but both the consoles would want their first party studios to give it a shot for the next four years, so that's two.

Find 3 more smaller ones, the PES team at Konami and maybe even Ubisoft, who wouldn't wait to pounce on this opportunity.

Ozriel

M$FT
People will go where the great gameplay, graphics, FIFA brand name, authentic clubs + player likenesses, and great reviews are.

It's the culmination of all these that the EA FIFA games sell in the tens of millions, oh and FUT or a copy of it.

Subsidize the license fee to 50 million for 5 studios or 25 million for 10 studios.

Once you lower down the licensing fee and take out exclusivity, every medium sized studio who are interested in sports games, will find a way to get on the yearly billion dollar microtransactions pie.

I know it's easier said than done, but both the consoles would want their first party studios to give it a shot for the next four years, so that's two.

Find 3 more smaller ones, the PES team at Konami and maybe even Ubisoft, who wouldn't wait to pounce on this opportunity.
EA’s football game will still outsell every other newbie like 30:1 and most of those will be DOA. Not to mention the exclusive deals EA has for most clubs.

I doubt FIFA doesn’t realize this. This is probably an attempt to bluff their way to a bigger cut with EA.

Melfice7

Take Two - EPL 2K23
Sega - Serie A Calcio 23
Konami - eFootball 2023

i can see this happening, remember the ps1 times where there were dozens of football games? i member

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ah, so that is the catch. They will double the rate for exclusivity, or shop it around multiplat for a lower fee.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I love how greedy EA back fired on them. You wanted to suck money by cheating and shit with loot boxes and shit.
FIFA saw that money pouring in and now they are milking EA. Love it.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
This is actually great for eSports. There is a lot of players that are stuck with ea unreasonable demands(competing using FUT cards) and aren't free to do non-official tournament. But with that change, we maybe get more independent leagues.

MOTM

Banned
I love how greedy EA back fired on them. You wanted to suck money by cheating and shit with loot boxes and shit.
FIFA saw that money pouring in and now they are milking EA. Love it.
Hmm I don’t think this is as big an issue for EA as you think.

People buy FIFA every year for the updated transfers and teams which EA will still be able to do no problem.

mhirano

Take Two - EPL 2K23
Sega - Serie A Calcio 23
Konami - eFootball 2023
Tencent: Campeonato Brasileiro Bomba Patch 2023

//DEVIL//

Hmm I don’t think this is as big an issue for EA as you think.

People buy FIFA every year for the updated transfers and teams which EA will still be able to do no problem.
If they no longer have the license since FIFA is asking the double now.... then people won't buy it because it's no longer a licensed game. will be like PES lol

with that being said, I think FIFA really has no option on this matter. there is no company is willing to pay this much and have a decent game / engine ready. Konami is out of the picture. Sony tried to do football game before if I am not mistaken during PS2 days and ooff.. MS has no interest in this..

Moneal

If they no longer have the license since FIFA is asking the double now.... then people won't buy it because it's no longer a licensed game. will be like PES lol

with that being said, I think FIFA really has no option on this matter. there is no company is willing to pay this much and have a decent game / engine ready. Konami is out of the picture. Sony tried to do football game before if I am not mistaken during PS2 days and ooff.. MS has no interest in this..
The FIFA licence is only for the world cup and the FIFA name. EA still has the leagues, teams, and player licenses. No one plays them because of the FIFA name.

//DEVIL//

The FIFA licence is only for the world cup and the FIFA name. EA still has the leagues, teams, and player licenses. No one plays them because of the FIFA name.
ohh.. I thought its for the whole thing. EA could just name it Football 2023 and be done with it :/

my hopes are crushed.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Sega - Serie A Calcio 23
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
Make It Rain Reaction GIF

Take Two - EPL 2K23
Oh No Eating GIF by Declan McKenna
Surprised Oh No GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

iu

but with spicey drama, backstabbing and lot´s of zombies&Gore!

MOTM

Banned
ohh.. I thought its for the whole thing. EA could just name it Football 2023 and be done with it :/

my hopes are crushed.
Yep that was my point .. not that big a deal even if yes of course having the name "FIFA" on the box would be preferable.

JLB

Banned
i'm sure plenty of studios would love the FIFA money but the reality is there are only really 3 studios/publishers out there that are somewhat prepared to make a football game and that's EA, Konami, Sega. Anyone else would need to sink all that money into hiring staff and updating their engine or creating a new one from scratch. it's very likely that anyone who takes it on will not make a profit for years.

Pretty much. EA has all the winning cards here. Of course this is an open negotiation and each one is trying to carry water for their own side, but at the end of they day both are going to reqch out to an agreement.

chigstoke

Time for Sony to bring This Is Football back.
I used to enjoy playing TiF on PS2. Had all teams down to the conference in England, albeit swapping team names with just the city or town name because of club and league licensing. Not much for Peter Drury commentary though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If EA can't justify the cost, having the game dev pipeline already setup, a practical monopoly on AAA football games, and selling on every platform under the sun, who else is going to be able to?

Especially when there's no way that EA are going anywhere, and any new title would have to compete against them!

Get fucked FIFA, you greedy twats.

Marker007

It would be fascinating to see someone take this chance to make a multiplayer game where each person played as a player from the same teams in third person and actually has to immerse themselves in character and be part of a larger team as a whole like playing the sport in real life. Could be very interesting with large teams like how CoD and Battlefield manage with their large multiplayer modes with dozens of players.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

True, I don't see it... FIFA wanted $250m a year from EA. That's insane.
I agree on others perhaps being wary to pay it but EA had net revenue of $1.491 billion for ultimate team in the FY2020 alone, the majority of which is from Fifa Ultimate Team.

Last edited:

A.Romero

So FIFA both wants to charge higher fees to EA AND look to sell to others.

I mean, I don't really care how faithful the faces are or if it says Mendez versus Vendes as long as the game is good but fucking FIFA is worse than EA.

Kokoloko85

Even if other people have the Fifa brand too. It doesn't mean they'll make the better game.
I know, but EA cant be as lazy if someone else does start making the better game.
If they can’t name there next game Fifa 23, they are not gonna get the same sales

Top Bottom