• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA says it never liked EA anyway, will see other publishers now

bitbydeath

"FIFA is bullish and optimistic about its long-term future in gaming and esports following a comprehensive and strategic assessment of the gaming and interactive entertainment market," reads FIFA's statement, before getting in a quick dig at former partner EA: "it is clear that this needs to be a space that is occupied by more than one party controlling all rights."
FIFA is now apparently "engaging with various industry players, including developers, investors and analysts, to build out a long-term view of the gaming, esports and interactive entertainment sector."

Barakov

Gold Member
Pizza Yes GIF

SZips

This honestly seems like a really big deal. Heads gonna roll over at EA because of this. Investors will be PISSED
Maybe? Seems like EA wanted out anyway because FIFA wanted to charge them $1 billion for a new four-year deal, which was double the amount of their previous deal.

Investors might be happy to know that they didn't blow a cool billion, especially when they still have access to all of the teams and players and only list the World Cup stuff.

I can't imagine FIFA is going to find many companies willing to spend a billion to be locked into a four-year contract with them if they keep that asking price the same. Plus, who else besides Konami is out there making soccer games these days?

killatopak

Gold Member
I wonder if this means a lapse year or two for a FIFA game. It'll at least take some time to find a publisher/dev to make a FIFA game since it'll be all done from the ground up. Unless of course they give the license to Konami all of sudden and we'll get PES with FIFA branding.

EDMIX

This honestly seems like a really big deal. Heads gonna roll over at EA because of this. Investors will be PISSED

True, but its a no win situation. FIFA asking for double the money for that license will mean less money to investors regardless. With the teams that did FIFA in the past being basically the best in the world in this area, I expect what ever publisher gets that license, will flop the first few games unless they can poach a shit load of those developers from EA lol

captainraincoat captainraincoat lol that was literally the first publisher I thought of that likely could do a ok job.

So.....FIFA fans are fucked at this point lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah I can’t see this working out well for Fifa or EA for the next couple years.

Best case for FIFA is that they find a licensee willing to pay, even if the releases suffer for a few years.

Best case for EA is nobody will pay, or sign a short term deal, makes some shoddy games and they come back to EA with way less bargaining power.

Either way they both lose in the short term.

Having monopolies on some of the biggest names in sports is part of how EA remains one of the top third-party game publishers. Losing FIFA may be the start of either a crossroads or dark times.

Things would really go crazy if they lost the NFL.

Fredrik

I don’t play sports games but I have friends who only play FIFA and NHL and they seem to like EA’s games so my initial thought is that this is a really bad thing for the FIFA fans. Whoelse could take over fast enough?

EA's team will still make the best football games out there. People are going to find out the hard way just how difficult it is to do what the current FIFA team has done. Not saying there isn't room for more options, but I don't have much faith in them actually matching up. FIFA pushes things in all kinds of ways each year that aren't fully appreciated. And what do people expect from a yearly franchise. It isn't like they're getting 2-3, even 5, years like some of these other studios out there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
EA makes billions from Fifa every year. I have no idea if they have a separate deal for Ultimate team or whatever that microtransaction mode is, but i highly doubt EA would be willing to lose billions every year. Madden doesnt get them nearly as much cash as Fifa.

Do they just lose the rights to team names? Do they still get player names? if so, i think thats why they are ok with it. no one really buys fifa to play the seasons. everyone is into that weird Ultimate team mode.

DonJorginho

Banned
EA makes billions from Fifa every year. I have no idea if they have a separate deal for Ultimate team or whatever that microtransaction mode is, but i highly doubt EA would be willing to lose billions every year. Madden doesnt get them nearly as much cash as Fifa.

Do they just lose the rights to team names? Do they still get player names? if so, i think thats why they are ok with it. no one really buys fifa to play the seasons. everyone is into that weird Ultimate team mode.
1. EA Can keep Ultimate Team going quite easily, just call it Football Ultimate Team to retain the abbreviation

2. This deal only consists of EA being able to use the name FIFA on the cover. Teams, leagues and players likenesses are done separately and EA have years left on that deal still to go

Last edited:
I hope Ubisoft steps in and gives us the open world Soccer game set in the Tom Clancy universe that we've all so desperately wanted.
Outside of Take 2 getting the licence Ubisoft would be number 2 ......sadly these are the only 2 major publishers i can see being able to bring a game on a regular yearly rotation on every possible platform
i would actually prefer Ubi over Take 2 as T2 are basically EA lite

bender

What time is it?
Outside of Take 2 getting the licence Ubisoft would be number 2 ......sadly these are the only 2 major publishers i can see being able to bring a game on a regular yearly rotation on every possible platform
i would actually prefer Ubi over Take 2 as T2 are basically EA lite

Take 2's Rockstar Presents Table Tennis is better than any Ubisoft sports game.

TLZ

Banned
If this means no more monopoly, then I'm all for it. Many publishers paying rights amounting to the billion+ FIFA wants would be much better. Maybe they finally realised if they get paid by more than one party they'd get much more money overall.

Is this Arsene Wenger shaking things up 😅?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good. But it's just branding anyway.

All the teams, players and gameplay are still needed to be done by the game studio. And as much as gamers hate annual rehashes, it takes a lot of these rehashes to make a solid sports game.

It's not like a one-off action game or RPG that takes 5 years to make and is awesome.

Sports is based on real life and there's a lot of expectations that go into it which sports fan will notice. Go to any sports game forum and gamers will nitpick sock colours and if the mascot looks right.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
1. EA Can keep Ultimate Team going quite easily, just call it Football Ultimate Team to retain the abbreviation

2. This deal only consists of EA being able to use the name FIFA on the cover, teams, leagues and players likenesses are done separately and EA have years left on that deal still to go
I actually didn't know that - I just assumed the licence with FIFA included the likenesses of the players and leagues, hence the cost. So... FIFA was trying to charge USD$250,000,000 a year just for putting their name on the box?

sephiroth7x

This isn't really that big a deal.

The license for the players/teams/kits is held with FIFPRO and not FIFA themselves and that deal has about four years left. If that deal blew up, then they would be in trouble.

All the leagues are licensed independently and so are the competitions. The only missing part of any of this will be the FIFA name. That probably means no FIFA World Cup and the game, obviously, will not be called FIFA but will be called EA Football or something like that.

As much as I despise EA, I think FIFA will come crawling back begging for a new agreement. Good luck finding willing studios to shell out a cool billion for just branding, esp. when it sounds like FIFA wants to license to multiple studios.

On top of that, it will take a while to get a competent rival up and running. Can’t imagine they’ll make something as simple and addictive as EA’s FIFA. I don’t even like the game for numerous reasons, but I see why it appeals to people.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The billion dollar deal was only for an exclusive agreement with EA; they clearly wanted out. After this, FIFA will probably negotiate multiple million dollar deals and as long as they get over half a billion and increase their brand awareness they come out winning out of breaking the exclusivity deal with EA.

Props on FIFA to realize they can make more money in the space.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Maybe, you know, if fifa got a bigger cut of the loot box revenue they’d still be in bed with EA.

FIFA aren’t exactly the most clean company in the world you know, they are ideal for EA.

Incredible how quickly FIFA's troubles were swept aside. All the hullabaloo, then nothing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What developers are going to be willing to pay the billions FIFA wants?
Can't think of anyone. If EA is the king of the greedy, FIFA is the god of them and the only way they around to get more money in the end is if the give out the license to more publishers but for less to each one than they used to get from EA.

It's a lose lose for both to be honest, EA will lose on sales without a doubt and FIFA haven't even got a game anymore, oh well 🤷

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Maybe, you know, if fifa got a bigger cut of the loot box revenue they’d still be in bed with EA.

FIFA aren’t exactly the most clean company in the world you know, they are ideal for EA.

Maybe the surprise mechanics didn't do great for some of the higher ups at FIFA, especially the drunk-team treatment you get if you don't spend on cards.

Top Bottom