• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA says it never liked EA anyway, will see other publishers now

FStubbs

Having monopolies on some of the biggest names in sports is part of how EA remains one of the top third-party game publishers. Losing FIFA may be the start of either a crossroads or dark times.

Things would really go crazy if they lost the NFL.
FIFA is way bigger than Madden isn't it?

Lord Thunderbear

Neo Member
Anybody planning to make an actual rival would still have to make a deal with both FIFPro and FIFA, though - cause the FIFA license by itself isn't that useful...anybody looking to buy a fifa game wouldn't be satisfied with fake squads and players. I wonder if it's even worth to deal with FIFA at all for a bunch of names and logos, on that regard. Maybe we'll end up with a Super League game instead, heh.

xiseerht

Honestly....I can see Microsoft and Konami teaming up to get the license , if EA loses it. MS is already doing an agreement with the Football League.

hlm666

Does this stop EA using real players in their game? I could imagine if this is the case it would make their gambling for players side hustle way less lucrative.

thegame983

The only thing that matters is players & teams licensing. As long as EA still have the real names/kits they will be fine

Neilg

Not sure what the loss is of the FIFA license, is it literally just the name on the cover? All teams, stadiums, names etc remain the same?

If that's the case then what the hell are FIFA thinking?

Yeah, that and the once every 4 years world cup themed game.
All the team/player/stadium/league deals are totally separate which is why some have jumped between being exclusive in pro evo and FIFA. It's beyond idiotic.

They'll need to renegotiate everything. I wouldn't be surprised if EA saw this coming at the end of the contract with FIFA and as insurance added a line to their contracts with teams/etc saying they cant sell the license to any new games in the space for 5+ years. I'm speculating, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear they did that - nobody would've batted an eye at a line like that being added to a contract but it's some incredible insurance.

To be competitive they either need to sell the name to konami and release FIFA 23, which would be fucking hilarious, or they're going to need to fund the development of an entirely new game made by a studio that's never made a large scale football game before - which will also be fucking hilarious. In either option, they're going to make significantly less money than they would if they'd just taken what EA was offering.

The scale of the hubris here is just incredible.

Last edited:

Fbh

Tencet buys the rights
Make Tencent's Fifa 2022 which turns every player into a cute anime girl that you get through a gacha system
Getting Messi-Chan or Ronaldo-Chan takes at least $15K worth of microtransactions
Tencent becomes the first quadrillion company.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Maybe? Seems like EA wanted out anyway because FIFA wanted to charge them $1 billion for a new four-year deal, which was double the amount of their previous deal.

Investors might be happy to know that they didn't blow a cool billion, especially when they still have access to all of the teams and players and only list the World Cup stuff.

I can't imagine FIFA is going to find many companies willing to spend a billion to be locked into a four-year contract with them if they keep that asking price the same. Plus, who else besides Konami is out there making soccer games these days?

Ultimate Team accounts for 29 per cent of EA's total income and has risen considerably year-on-year, with the game mode taking in $775m (£550m) back in 2017.

Net revenue from extra content sales for Ultimate Team was $1,491 million, $1,369 million and $1,180 million during fiscal years 2020, 2019 and 2018, respectively, a substantial portion of which was derived from FIFA Ultimate Team.

Source: https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/how...-fifa-ultimate-team/r1tbutqcbjhx19gkz54rtrp68

If we assume a "substantial portion" is about a third, that means FIFA made EA ~$1.35 billion over a three year period. 2021 was a bigger year than 2020, and is estimated to have made $1,623. This puts our four-year total at approximately ~$1.89 billion over the last four years. That means this deal makes them more money than it loses them. By about double. Also, that is only taking into consideration "extra content". That means the actual game sales themselves is not included. The total copies sold for FIFA 18 and FIFA 19 is 46.4 million. We don't have solid numbers for 2020 or 2021. But if we estimate average sale at $20 per copy (which is lowballing it), that means that is an additional $928 million in just two years of games. If we assume FIFA 20 and FIFA 21 75% of that amount we can put the total sales at 81.2 million, or $1.62 billion. That means the total amount FIFA brought in to EA over the last four years was ~$3.51 billion.

FIFA getting ~28.5% of that does seem high, but that is also an exclusivity deal for EA. This means that FIFA is ONLY found with EA, and that means more people are driven to EA who could potentially branch out and buy other games from their platform as well. EA no longer having FIFA exclusivity means that FIFA sales themselves will drop, but also that competitor sales will increase. I think this is still something that could come back to bite EA. They certainly aren't going belly-up. But it's also not a nothing-burger. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
don't feel bad for EA in the slightest but it's not the end of FIFA. whoever gets to make them now will be lucky cause the games will still sell even if they suck.

my bet is that TakeTwo will get the rights. they got the money (about to sell GTA V for the third generation in a row) and they have the talent at 2K to make sports games like NBA, PGA, and WWE. Shit, they could make up a dedicated studio with people from both 2K + Rockstar. With the money that FIFA brings in it would be totally worth it.

other than TakeTwo the only other realistic option is Konami but I'm not sure if they'd get it. Third choice, although very unlikely, would be SEGA. It'd be a lot of work for Sports Interactive but Football Manager is one of the biggest football games out there. They would at least have an idea what to do but it'd be a huge job going from a management/simulation game with very basic 3D stadium/players up to a game like FIFA 22.

Gold Member
FIFA getting ~28.5% of that does seem high, but that is also an exclusivity deal for EA. This means that FIFA is ONLY found with EA, and that means more people are driven to EA who could potentially branch out and buy other games from their platform as well. EA no longer having FIFA exclusivity means that FIFA sales themselves will drop, but also that competitor sales will increase. I think this is still something that could come back to bite EA. They certainly aren't going belly-up. But it's also not a nothing-burger. That's just my opinion though.
28% wouldn’t be too bad if that was for everything, but this is only for the FIFA name and WC competition. They still have to pay for licensing the domestic stuff, players and everything else which someone said was done through FIFPRO. So there is an additional cost there not factored into your equation.

Also another poster said the rumour was FIFA wanted to sell the licence to other companies so the exclusivity may not have been included in that price (although that is just a rumour).

I personally think EA will be fine, but also think you have a point in that this could bite them in the arse long term. I suspect though it’s FIFA who are kicking themselves (bad pun intended) today as they now have a lot more work ahead of them to get that payday.

Either way, I’ll be there popcorn at the ready - I have no love for either organisation 😝

Last edited:

Coney

Some people mentioned Microsoft here, how about if they actually did get this licence? Fifa exclusive to their ecosystem could be huge for the "platform wars".

Vystalorn

Neo Member
I'd quite like to see Capcom get the license. But only because I want to see a Mega Man Soccer / FIFA crossover game.

Last edited:

NickFire

I hope EA says its already moved on once FIFA realizes how badly it misplayed its greed. FIFA's reported demands are just so absurd I can't believe I am taking EA's side on an argument over money.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
eFootball bros we fucking won

Lebron James Hug GIF by NBA

JackSparr0w

Banned
Great news ! FUCK YOU, Eleshitronic Arts :lollipop_sunglasses:
Yeah I'm sure EA is shaking in its boots with an extra billion in its pockets while still having all the teams and player rights.

While FIFA is off begging publishers to cough up a billion dollars to develop a football game that will take years and may still fail.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm not like FIFA as I used to like EA.

NBA Street
Def Jam Fight For NY
SSX
Burnout
Dead Space
Mass Effect
Star Wars: The Old Republic
The Sims

Unfortunately for every good game, they released ~50 that's completely crap.

chigstoke

For as long as EA have the FIFPro licensing for player names, clubs, stadiums etc... they probably won't give much of a toss because they can still monetise the shit out of Ultimate Team. If people can still spend hundreds of quid packing TOTW's, mum and dad giving the credit card for packs etc... then it'll still be a killer money maker.

Easy move is to just call a game without FIFA branding - 'EA Sports Ultimate Team' and it will sell like hot cakes, as usual.

Off of the top of my head, I can only see Take Two as the most realistic possibility of other publishers if they're willing to develop a footie game under 2K Sports. Sony bring back TiF? Konami spend the big bucks perhaps.

Tencent? Hope not.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah lets blame EA and not the greedy corrupt FIFA that just doubled their asking price and has been caught in scandals time and time again.

Fifa is bad but its time EA doesnt get a free pass. Literally making the same game for decade and charging people money every year plus extras like loot boxes /dlc like stuff, fifa ultimate team.

Time for EA to disappear and get what the deserve. I hope they never get to sue the name or license again and see how succesful they will be without it. Laziest developers every. At least COD and Assassins creed actually make new games every year

Kokoloko85

For as long as EA have the FIFPro licensing for player names, clubs, stadiums etc... they probably won't give much of a toss because they can still monetise the shit out of Ultimate Team. If people can still spend hundreds of quid packing TOTW's, mum and dad giving the credit card for packs etc... then it'll still be a killer money maker.

Easy move is to just call a game without FIFA branding - 'EA Sports Ultimate Team' and it will sell like hot cakes, as usual.

Off of the top of my head, I can only see Take Two as the most realistic possibility of other publishers if they're willing to develop a footie game under 2K Sports. Sony bring back TiF? Konami spend the big bucks perhaps.

Tencent? Hope not.

Who says there are gonna get the fifapro licensing?

The game won’t sell the same if the name doesnt contain fifa. Luckily they have no competition

kiphalfton

This just reminds me of a really bad relationship. From giving ultimatums to talking smack and just otherwise being extremely petty.

I look forward to seeing them both lose out on a boatload of money.

Having monopolies on some of the biggest names in sports is part of how EA remains one of the top third-party game publishers. Losing FIFA may be the start of either a crossroads or dark times.

Things would really go crazy if they lost the NFL.
Things went crazy already. FIFA dwarfs NFL which is big but not globally big. Losing NFL would be a few more nails in their coffin though. But losing FIFA puts them in the coffin.

chigstoke

Who says there are gonna get the fifapro licensing?

The game won’t sell the same if the name doesnt contain fifa. Luckily they have no competition
EA recently renewed a long term contract with FIFPro

I firmly believe it will. Nearly every fifa player knows what Ultimate Team is, and the people that buy it for UT far outweigh those of us who play clubs or career mode. They’d be daft not to have that as the new name if the license for FIFA goes elsewhere.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

EA recently renewed a long term contract with FIFPro

I firmly believe it will. Nearly every fifa player knows what Ultimate Team is, and the people that buy it for UT far outweigh those of us who play clubs or career mode. They’d be daft not to have that as the new name if the license for FIFA goes elsewhere.
I didnt know fifapro is separate to fifa

Lognor

Banned
Maybe? Seems like EA wanted out anyway because FIFA wanted to charge them $1 billion for a new four-year deal, which was double the amount of their previous deal.

Investors might be happy to know that they didn't blow a cool billion, especially when they still have access to all of the teams and players and only list the World Cup stuff.

I can't imagine FIFA is going to find many companies willing to spend a billion to be locked into a four-year contract with them if they keep that asking price the same. Plus, who else besides Konami is out there making soccer games these days?
$1b might be double, but wasn't ea making a shit ton off fifa? $1b might be the fair market value.

Keihart

From the little i have played and what people that do play a lot always though, PES always seemed like the better game only suffering of licenced teams and players or less than stellar graphics, but gameplay was always better in that franchise. Maybe this is the moment when Konami takes a clever decision and pushes the PES team into a licensed FIFA game and conrners the market.

SZips

$1b might be double, but wasn't ea making a shit ton off fifa? $1b might be the fair market value.
EA was definitely making bank as |Firefly| pointed out here, earlier on in the thread.

But EA can probably safely go on without the FIFA license. They have separate licenses to keep using the official team names, player names, and player likenesses. The loss of the FIFA license means only the loss of the "FIFA" name, "FIFA" logo, and the right to include the World Cup in their future titles. I think this is definitely a calculated risk that EA is fine with taking here. To me, it seems like FIFA needs EA more than EA needs FIFA at the moment.

Last edited:

Grechy34

Have you seen the profit FIFA generates?

This is fantastic. EA have shit on the FIFA franchise for a long time now, pushing out lacklustre rehashes on a yearly basis. The micro transactions are one thing but when people are consistently spending money for terrible returns (try getting a half decent card in UT - I was an addict for a year so I'm well aware)

supernova8

Banned
Surely, the workaround would be calling it Fifa 2023 ?

That is the big problem for EA, is that anyone using the license can even usurp the cover likeness, because the type face for the license belongs to Fifa, not EA, AFAIK.

Even in general discussion between friends - continuing with FUT without the license - I could see it getting annoying because they've probably referred to the game as fifa all these years. In fact, even if konami could afford the license abandoning the PES name/brand they've established over decades - to call their game Fifa - would be risky in the longterm IMHO.

To be fair they already abandoned PES and are calling it eFootball (because they are absolute clowns).

martino

But what is FIFA not liking here ? the game ? the monetization ? or the part of it coming to them..
Rhetorical question of course.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Microsoft gonna clean up here. Unfortunately.
They might finally get their Europe W, if they don't cop severe backlash.

NFL caught not paying attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom