• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

How does that change anything I said? It's American hypocrisy at its finest. The rest of the world needs to get over it when the US poaches stars or players but when it's an American player going elsewhere, they're traitors, defectors, unpatriotic to the highest magnitudes.

it's not a big deal to me when Guisseppe Rossi chooses to play for Italy or Jermaine Jones chooses to play for the US. I cheer for the players who choose to represent my country.

valeo

US were by far the best team; well done - congrats to you all. Still disappointing that NZ didn't get past the group stages, I think we deserved to. Undone by bad reffing.

absolutely, I'm not crapping on the men's team. They're making progress, but this is the ladies' night.

The US Womens team has made the semi finals or better since the FIFA womens world cup began. That's a dynasty like streak, even though for many consecutive WC's the US team ultimately did not win the World Cup. But the reasons why US Womens soccer is so much better than our mens team can be explained by 2 major factors.

1. Since 1972, Title IX requires gender equality for boys and girls in every educational program that receives federal funding. Not all countries emphasize sports equally among genders, which is why the US excels in so many womens sports.

2. Girls soccer players don't flip to playing American Football when they get to highschool. Lots of our best male athletes in America start out playing other sports as children, but flip to football once they get to highschool. Girls don't, so the best soccer prospects can be retained in the sport.

How does that change anything I said? It's American hypocrisy at its finest. The rest of the world needs to get over it when the US poaches stars or players but when it's an American player going elsewhere, they're traitors, defectors, unpatriotic to the highest magnitudes.

I think you're embellishing quite a bit. The only case you mentioned I'm even aware of is Becky Hammon deciding to play for Russia. People in the US were more confused at her decision than angry.

Darknight

American Men team isnt as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. The competition that they have to face is real tough. Many games could go either way

I would say its bad compared to the best WW teams. They dont hold a chance. Women's soccer it could go either way and the US Women's team is one of the top ones so they have a bigger chance like today, at winning.

Draxal

I think you're embellishing quite a bit. The only case you mentioned I'm even aware of is Becky Hammon deciding to play for Russia. People in the US were more confused at her decision than angry.

Heh, I think some of us are still pretty salty at Rossi (as evidenced in this thread).

To be fair I think it's incredibly stupid to say you rep NJ when you play for another country, but other than that I don't give a shit what he does.

Brashnir

The US Womens team has made the semi finals or better since the FIFA womens world cup began. That's a dynasty like streak, even though for many consecutive WC's the US team ultimately did not win the World Cup. But the reasons why US Womens soccer is so much better than our mens team can be explained by 2 major factors.

1. Since 1972, Title IX requires gender equality for boys and girls in every educational program that receives federal funding. Not all countries emphasize sports equally among genders, which is why the US excels in so many womens sports.

2. Girls soccer players don't flip to playing American Football when they get to highschool. Lots of our best male athletes in America start out playing other sports as children, but flip to football once they get to highschool. Girls don't, so the best soccer prospects can be retained in the sport.

It's not a big deal to me. If Rossi, or Najar, or whoever decides to play elsewhere it's their choice. Same as Aron Johansson, Fabian Johnson or whomever else chooing to play for the US. I'm OK with it.

Heh, I think some of us are still pretty salty at Rossi (as evidenced in this thread).

To be fair I think it's incredibly stupid to say you rep NJ when you play for another country, but other than that I don't give a shit what he does.

I mean when you live in a country founded on immigration, it's going to happen. Especially in NY/NJ where there's a major Italian presence. I think all the German born players the USMNT has more than make up for the loss of Rossi

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Anyone can find racists if they make it their job to look for them. It seems really important to you to point these out, for some reason.

So it must've been important for you and quote me all the way back to point these out for some reason too right?

Draxal

I mean when you live in a country founded on immigration, it's going to happen. Especially in NY/NJ where there's a major Italian presence. I think all the German born players the USMNT has more than make up for the loss of Rossi

Yeah, I"m from the area and I know there's alot of love for the blue in this area (although I would say it's starting to become more of a South American stronghold/Korean/Chinese/Indian), so I really don't begrudge him.

It's just in this thread, there were like 4 posts shitting on Rossi right before your posted and I thought that was funny.

MGg4kYd.png

smh

hope suarez bites his ass

Cystm

YES. YES. YES.
XDXxjWT.png

About Giuseppe Rossi:

Reminds me of the Canadians bitter over Leroux choosing to play for us, or the Germans bitter over John Brooks or these guys:

jKTrpSR.jpg

He choose to play for Italy, but that does not take away his growing up in Jersey or being an American. Likewise for the people we cheer for every USMNT game.

Want to throw this out there again for those of you wanting more Soccer:

Remeber after this, a good majority of these athletes we've enjoyed watching in the World Cup are playing in the under appreciated National Women's Soccer League.

Please, please, please support them and watch them on Fox Sports and the Fox Sports Go app. TV schedule. You can also catch full matches and highlights on their Youtube channel. Edit: Thanks 8BitsAtATime.

NWSL teams and players:

Seattle Reign FC
Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Megan Rapinoe are playing for this team. Keep watching and supporting them!​

Chicago Red Stars
Karina LeBlanc of the Canadian National Team, Shannon Boxx, Julie Johnston, and Christen Press are playing here!​

FC Kansas City
Becky Sauerbrunn, Amy Rodriguez, Lauren Holiday, and Yael Averbuch are here!​

Houston Dash
Morgan Brian, and Carli Lloyd are here!​

Portland Thorns FC
Nadine Angerer of the German National Team, Christine Sinclair of the Canadian National Team, Alex Morgan, Tobin Heath, and Rhian Wilkinson of the Canadian National Team are all here​

New Jersey Sky Blue FC
Christie Rampone, Samantha Kerr of the Australian National Team, and Kelley O'Hara are here!​

Washington Spirit
Arianna Romero and Verónica Pérez of the Mexican National Team, Ashlyn Harris, and Crystal Dunn are all here!​

You can Buy Tickets right here. Tickets are super affordable starting at $10.

The NWSL is the third attempt at a professional Soccer league for women in America and it's important to the growth of soccer in America that we support it and our women.

Madness

Just Google Vic Wild. People were calling him spy, defector, traitor. As for Tanith Belbin, she had to wait until 2007 to actually be granted US Citizenship just like any other individual. But because she was a medal hopeful, Congress and President Bush passed a law almost one day before her cutoff to grant emergency citizenship to 'people of extraordinary ability'. Extraordinary ability meaning people who will win possible gold medals two weeks later for US (she only won silver).

I'm just saying, when it comes to Americans playing for others, there is no shortage of anger, but others should just grin and bear it when it comes to their players playing for the US?

Just Google Vic Wild. People were calling him spy, defector, traitor. As for Tanith Belbin, she had to wait until 2007 to actually be granted US Citizenship just like any other individual. But because she was a medal hopeful, Congress and President Bush passed a law almost one day before her cutoff to grant emergency citizenship to 'people of extraordinary ability'. Extraordinary ability meaning people who will win possible gold medals two weeks later for US (she only won silver).

I'm just saying, when it comes to Americans playing for others, there is no shortage of anger, but others should just grin and bear it when it comes to their players playing for the US?

Ever think that maybe it's not the same people?

I don't care about any of those people you mentioned. Their loss to not play for the U.S.
I'm not going to lose sleep over it, and I'm not angry at them. They should do what they want.

Cerberus

The first 16 minutes were unreal. I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching the highlights.

First set piece goal was executed perfectly and that golazo.....Carli Lloyd was going ham the entire match.

Hat trick in the final, Golden Ball, World Champion. She's going to get World Player of the Year too. I always assumed she would play in Rio, but now I don't know.

I don't think Krieger is a lesbian. Read an article about her that mentioned her husband a while ago...

I know this has been covered a bit already, but this is the video that caused OutSports to categorize Krieger as gay/bi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48nREYd6kQ

Rumor has it that she is currently dating the #2 USWNT keeper, Ashlyn Harris.

If anybody is curious, there's a certain lesbian celeb gossip forum that's big on the national team. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Where is the gif of the 50 yard shot?

BEbPNCi.gif

Uh the MLB is world champion club team, not national team, which WBC doesn't even attract all the superstars from the countries anyway.

Yeah they're the world champs because what other club is going to beat them? They have all the best national and international players.

I'd love for you to cite examples of international folks getting mad about the NFL, MLB, and NBA champs calling themselves world champs. Like they even care about the NFL in the first place.
No club from outside Europe can stand a chance versus the Champions League winner. Not a contest. And soccer is a worldwide sport. And they don't even call themselves world champions because it's a sport that's played only on one continent.

Or even worse. If I invented a sport that used marbles, a Barbie doll and two waffle makers and only invite to play other guys from my street and win, should I be called a world champions? It would technically be true. But just because I can use it doesn't mean I should.

Same thing for the winner of the National Football League. It's irritating to hear them being called world champs with a league that no other county is invited to play in.

And no, the fact that a few teams from Canada play in the NBA or MLB makes no difference.

The USWNT on the other hand is a world champion. And say it proudly.

My god, that first 15 minutes was just the best. THE BEST. I couldn't believe my eyes. Congrats USWNT, way to represent!!!

usa-today-8682456.0.jpg

I dedicate this one to Clydefrog and TF2-GAF. Alex Morgan has been our mascot for like 5 years now.

Paracelsus

No club from outside Europe can stand a chance versus the Champions League winner. Not a contest. And soccer is a worldwide sport. And they don't even call themselves world champions because it's a sport that's played only on one continent.

Or even worse. If I invented a sport that used marbles, a Barbie doll and two waffle makers and only invite to play other guys from my street and win, should I be called a world champions? It would technically be true. But just because I can use it doesn't mean I should.

Same thing for the winner of the National Football League. It's irritating to hear them being called world champs with a league that no other county is invited to play in.

And no, the fact that a few teams from Canada play in the NBA or MLB makes no difference.

The USWNT on the other hand is a world champion. And say it proudly.

When it's a foregone conclusion nobody can dispute your strength, you are pretty much the world champion. You can step up and I'll trash you, and everybody knows it. Nobody outside Europe can hold a candle to the UCL winners, much like nobody outside America can hold a candle to the NFL winners or the NBA ones.

It's not an issue of "It's my game and my rules I win boohoo", it's just how some things are. UCL goes against the winner of the C.Libertadores but nobody ever at any point took the rivalry seriously. Even if Libertadores defeats UCL in that match it's like with the Uefa Supercup. You win Fifa Club WC, you get the patch, the trophy, the strongest team in the world for that year will be known as the UCL winner period. When an european player goes to the USA the general consensus (assuming he's not 79 years old like Pirlo) isn't "american soccer is getting legit" but like with Giovinco it's more like "baby couldn't cut it with the giants so he fled to the small leagues".

That's pretty fucking insulting to Canada, mate.

How about all of the players from all over the world that play in the NBA or MLB? Do they not count either?

If you're good at either of those sports, you come to play in the US. It's as simple as that. Or do you really think a NBA team or MLB team wouldn't annihilate a team assembled somewhere else in the world?

Timbuktu

It did feel like that all the goals that the football gods witheld from the semi's were crammed into the first 15mins kf the final. USA v England would have been epic on Independence Day weekend, a tighter game with an obvious underdog.

RELAYER

Banned
That's pretty fucking insulting to Canada, mate.

How about all of the players from all over the world that play in the NBA or MLB? Do they not count either?

If you're good at either of those sports, you come to play in the US. It's as simple as that. Or do you really think a NBA team or MLB team wouldn't annihilate a team assembled somewhere else in the world?

His (inane and pointless) logic is that only after playing the world can you be world champion.

So for example, according to him, the Patriots have roughly 6 billion more people to play before they can rightly call themselves world champs.

His (inane and pointless) logic is that only after playing the world can you be world champion.

So for example, according to him, the Patriots have roughly 6 billion more people to play before they can rightly call themselves world champs.
No. I'm saying that a champion of a league called NATIONAL Football League shouldn't call themselves world champions. And yes it is a "my rules, my game, boohoo" type of deal.

I acknowledge my argument isn't as strong with the MLB that's made up of many foreigners and has some teams from Canada but the NFL? They couldn't be more presumptuous.

RELAYER

Banned
No. I'm saying that a champion of a league called NATIONAL Football League shouldn't call themselves world champions. And yes it is a "my rules, my game, boohoo" type of deal.

I acknowledge my argument isn't as strong with the MLB that's made up of many foreigners and has some teams from Canada but the NFL? They couldn't be more presumptuous.

I can't help but notice that you neglected to answer my question as to who would win a game, the reigning NFL champs or the "American Football World Cup Equivalent" champs.

I assume you didn't answer because it's a foregone conclusion.

To put it another way, if you say that they couldn't be more presumptuous in calling themselves world champs, then what international team did you have in mind that has a chance of beating them?

If there is no such team, then you'd have to admit that their title isn't really presumptuous at all but rather a matter of fact. That they didn't literally play the entire world is a semantic quibble and actually being irritated by it is rather silly.

It appears to have less to do with the actual strength of competition and more to be about having a "gotcha!" moment over those pesky arrogant Americans.

Trey

I don't believe in that

If you take a shot far from midfield, it's tge keeper's job to be awake

Wut? Those are legendary shots. Keeper was far outside and it was beautifully placed.

lol WAT. It's DISRESPECTFUL to try to score in a World Cup Final? Much less when it actually goes in so apparently it was a great decision? What on Earth am I even reading. You can't be serious.

Y'all being for real with me right now? I'm saying that shot was so good, it's disrespectful to the opposition in the gulf of talent within that critical moment.

I applaud the half field goal.

It did feel like that all the goals that the football gods witheld from the semi's were crammed into the first 15mins kf the final. USA v England would have been epic on Independence Day weekend, a tighter game with an obvious underdog.
You mean The Seagulls, UFO, and The Eye of Sauron.

This thread has become a huge ass mess. We where joking and having fun...not anymore

Juicy Bob

Looking back, it kind of makes me even more sad that it wasn't England in the final instead of Japan.

I don't think we'd have beaten USA, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have conceded four goals in the first 15 fucking minutes...

Looking back, it kind of makes me even more sad that it wasn't England in the final instead of Japan.

I don't think we'd have beaten USA, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have conceded four goals in the first 15 fucking minutes...

Why is a foregone conclusion that England would have fared better than Japan? Japan beat England...

I'm not singling you out, I've seen at least a couple other posters make similar posts.

Watch the older matches from Japan and England during the cup. Japan was always a treat to watch....England didn't start off so hot but they got better in the knockouts

Juicy Bob

Why is a foregone conclusion that England would have fared better than Japan? Japan beat England...

I'm not singling you out, I've seen at least a couple other posters make similar posts.
Purely down to that very wonderful thing called hindsight.

England had looked more threatening to score a winner in the final third of the semi final against Japan and lost because of a really unfortunate own goal in the last minute. We then went on to beat a very strong German team and kept a clean sheet.

Now, of course, there's all sorts of reasons why things could've happened differently, but I do think that our set piece defending, for example, would not have been so laughably terrible as Japan's was in the most important game they'd ever play.

But, who knows?

I still can't believe that was a real goal....in a world cup final....capping off a hat trick. unbelievable

Seriously... if a time traveler told me before the match that Carli Lloyd would be capping off her hat trick in under 16 minutes with a 50 yard shot in the World Cup Final against Japan, I would have had said time traveler committed to the mental institution.

The first 20 minutes was stranger than fiction.

The final score and match ended up being more respectable that Germany's 7-1 thrashing of Brazil. But the US hit Japan harder and faster and Japan was considered mostly in form whereas Brazil had looked underwhelming pretty much the entire tournament leading up to the semifinals, so it was absolutely shocking but not surprising to a degree. This game was more surprising and unexpected, IMO.

And ever since we arrested FIFA, we can't be stopped!

I love how the announcers called out Blatter for hiding. Glad the commentators had the balls to shame the FIFA prez instead of letting him quietly hide away.

What they need to do is better scheduling. During the group stage you would have to pick between certain matches...it was trash

I assume this was only for the final group game? This happens at every World Cup/Tournament. If Team 3 and Team 4 went out to play their third group game knowing that Team 1 and Team 2 had already played and neither did enough and that they both needed a draw to progress then they would not bother properly competing.

Madness

The World Cup reminds me that I don't want the next World Cup in the USA.

Everything was way too late for me in Europe.

No one but Canada even bid for this one. Hopefully going forward, it's afforded as much reverence as the men's cup gets. It's good they increased the team count to 24, some games may have seemed like blowouts, but for countries like Thailand, the Ivory Coast, it means a lot to the little girls in that country seeing their countrywomen on television playing against the world's best.

You just know some teams will look forward to revenge etc.

No one but Canada even bid for this one. Hopefully going forward, it's afforded as much reverence as the men's cup gets. It's good they increased the team count to 24, some games may have seemed like blowouts, but for countries like Thailand, the Ivory Coast, it means a lot to the little girls in that country seeing their countrywomen on television playing against the world's best.

You just know some teams will look forward to revenge etc.

I'm sure those little girls enjoyed seeing their countrywomen getting blown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom