• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The World Cup reminds me that I don't want the next World Cup in the USA.

Everything was way too late for me in Europe.
Well in the Men's WC even when it's hosted in the Americas FIFA manages to arrange the games at very uncomfortable hours for this hemisphere. Especially for the weekdays.

With the exception of one group stage match that was played at 9pm EST/5pm PST the latest a match was played in Brazil 2014 was 6pm EST/2pm PST. But also with games at 1pm EST/9am PST and even earlier so God forbid Europe gets a WC with games that don't get consistent prime time schedules. Hell, even the Brazil WC final kicked off at 3pm EST/11am PST so Europe can get the game at a comfortable 9pm slot.

You tasted a tiny spec of what us farther to the west go through every 4 goddamn years. I was so happy when Brazil was announced as host. I kept thinking I'd get to see matches closer to my prime time, especially on weekdays. But lo and behold the hours were not much better than they were during Germany 2006 or SA 2010.

Ask any player who was in USA 94 or any that played Mexico 86. They constantly expressed their disbelief at having to play games at high noon in the super hot Mexican or Orlando summer just so the games can get prime time slots for Europe with little regard to the footballers' wellbeing.

Clydefrog

My god, that first 15 minutes was just the best. THE BEST. I couldn't believe my eyes. Congrats USWNT, way to represent!!!

usa-today-8682456.0.jpg

I dedicate this one to Clydefrog and TF2-GAF. Alex Morgan has been our mascot for like 5 years now.

(TF2) Hats off to you, BBP!! :D

Well in the Men's WC even when it's hosted in the Americas FIFA manages to arrange the games at very uncomfortable hours for this hemisphere. Especially for the weekdays.

With the exception of one group stage match that was played at 9pm EST/5pm PST the latest a match was played in Brazil 2014 was 6pm EST/2pm PST. But also with games at 1pm EST/9am PST and even earlier so God forbid Europe gets a WC with games that don't get consistent prime time schedules. Hell, even the Brazil WC final kicked off at 3pm EST/11am PST so Europe can get the game at a comfortable 9pm slot.

You tasted a tiny spec of what us farther to the west go through every 4 goddamn years. I was so happy when Brazil was announced as host. I kept thinking I'd get to see matches closer to my prime time, especially on weekdays. But lo and behold the hours were not much better than they were during Germany 2006 or SA 2010.

Yup, 100% bs.

And the only reason there was a 9pm game was so Japan could get a game at a decent hour.

At least one positive is that Fifa would rearrange the game order to help the viewers. IE, Europeans at 1pm, Americas at 6pm, whenever possible.

The schedule was almost the exact same as the games in South Africa - pure Europe.

Even worse is that both Russia and Qatar are, surprise surprise, prime for Europe.

Anyway:

USA’s 5-2 victory over Japan to win the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament garnered a 15.2 overnight rating, destroying both the 8.6 overnight rating for the USA-Japan final in 2011 and blowing past the 13.3 overnight for the USA-China final in 1999.

7:00 12.8/25
7:30 14.1/26
8:00 15.9/28
8:30 17.9/30
9:00 11.3/19
http://sportstvratings.com/usa-japa...s-record-breaking-15-2-overnight-rating/3024/

That means at 8:30, 30% of households had the game on.

Briarios

Can't believe they arranged the final at this time of day with the sun being this disruptive. I definitely couldn't catch shit like this.

Football can be really dumb sometimes.

I don't think that was the sun -- she got her hand on it, the problem was she came WAY off her line for no reason.

ngower

GIF request: can anyone insert Lloyd's goals into that Vince McMahon gif where he falls off the chair? Please? For science?

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't think that was the sun -- she got her hand on it, the problem was she came WAY off her line for no reason.

She thought it was going to Morgan streaking on the bottom, but yeah the sun wasn't the issue on the goal.

Looked like partly out of position because she was trying to stand in the shaded side. And the sun was an issue when she backtracked and turned around to make the save you can see her trying to quickly determine the flight of the ball.

That's still an ruthless audacious bit of skill by Lloyd to punish the goalkeeper from that far out. Not taking anything away from her, that was an amazing execution.

So this world cup final got 21-23 million viewers in the US alone. That's more than the NBA finals. Great to see soccer getting this popular.

Sports Ratings: USA-Japan Women’s World Cup Finale Draws record-breaking 15.2 overnight rating
USA’s 5-2 victory over Japan to win the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament garnered a 15.2 overnight rating, destroying both the 8.6 overnight rating for the USA-Japan final in 2011 and blowing past the 13.3 overnight for the USA-China final in 1999.

Update: per Fox the match peaked from 8:45-9p with an 18.3/31 rating/share. The top local markets were:

1. Kansas City: 20.6/35

2. St. Louis: 20.5/33

3. San Diego: 19.5/41

4. Denver: 19.4/36

5. Austin: 19.1/37

I’d thought the early blowout would be bad for ratings, but Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand had predicted the opposite:

This is the first year I have followed soccer and have really loved it. Made it to a Timbers and a Thorns match so far. Going to go see the Timbers play in Dallas later this year. :)

elty

So... my personal opinion of the game:

The final - I think as a neutral I rather wish the first 15 minutes didn't exist. The game was essentially over by 3-0, but kudo to Japan for not giving up after they stabilized with Sawa. This shouldn't change the end result much though - I expected USA to win by a 2 goal margin. It was a surprised to me that USA couldn't beat Japan in regular time last World Cup.

The whole tournament - I tried to watch a few Copa America but just hated it. While the women are slower and less skill, they have more passions and also sports{wo]manship. Other than a few exceptions there are no leg breaking tackles, roll on the floor crying in pain and dreadful time wasting.

USA - They are worthy winner overall. They peaked at the right time and have a good combination of physique, technique and athleticism. Despite all the criticism they started to perform in the China game and only got better down the road. Definitely a dynasty in women's football.

Plus, thanks for cracking down the corrupted FIFA.

Japan - USA pretty much exposed their weakness better than any other team - they are slow and lose almost every duel. Horrible defending is a surprise though - you would expect they have good teamwork in defending to overcome their slowness. Almost every American can outrun the Japanese - which is a huge problem as Americans also possessed good technical skills. Their midfield cannot shield the defense and left them horribly exposed without the ball. They performed much better in the second half - but probably partly due to the USA relaxed a bit. They would have been a formidable opponent if their defense is as good as China. The team is also old so they desperately need new blood from a rather small talent pool. Still, they bring a unique style and

Canada and China - Weird to group them together, but both of them are good at defending but dreadful offensively. Canada in particular has no clue with the ball at the opponent's half.

Germany - I have watched a few games and they are always good at first half but deflate in the second, disappointing. Also interestingly every world cup winner so far has to beat Germany at some point during the tournament - or Germany will win the whole thing.

France - they are very fun to watch, too bad FIFA rigged the group so they need to face Germany in the quarter. France v Japan in the quarter or semi should be a good game.

England - that own goal at stoppage time exceeded all previous "England" moment. Still they recovered well to win the bronze, which is not a small feat.

Toronto - You are an idiot for hosting a regional sport event that required multiple expensive new stadium, versus a truly international event for the most popular sport that would have cost much cheaper. BMO field is not suitable for the final but perfectly fine to replace Moncton for group games and quarter. Do you know what was the first sellout event in the Pan Am? The football final.

Women's League - I read an article from 538, the US/Canada/Mexico national team salary is subsidized in the women league so they make reasonable money (can be much more with endorsement). However the salary cap for everyone else is $200K - per team - so probably $10,000 each? Most of the players are just fresh college grads - makes sense since no matter how much you love the sport, you cannot live with just $10000 a year. If this is what happened in the US I can't think the situation for the rest of the world. Kudos to them.

FIFA - please don't rig the group anymore for ticket sales and use real grass, kthxbye.

(if you still don't believe FIFA rigged the group, just google it and multiple news source will explain how it was rigged).

Anymore salty tweets from Landon Donovan?

I wonder if he's happy or sad.

I'm worried about him since he isn't getting any attention. Someone check on him.

Kazerei

Banned
I really hope Carli Lloyd or another woman graces the U.S. cover of FIFA 16. Hell, I'd be happy if she graces the Canadian cover too. Better than fucking Messi for the 100th time.

No club from outside Europe can stand a chance versus the Champions League winner. Not a contest. And soccer is a worldwide sport. And they don't even call themselves world champions because it's a sport that's played only on one continent.

In a knockout tournament like the FIFA Club World Cup that happens a lot. The European teams are superior but football is a game where that's not enough to win.

In 11 editions of the tournament, 4 times CONMEBOL teams were victorious against 7 times by UEFA teams.

And before that, the Intercontinental Cup had CONMEBOL with 22 titles against 21 by UEFA.

Oersted

I really hope the refereeing will be stepped up next tournament. What we saw was sometimes outright atricious and on amateur level. And in womens football, the impact of that is far more severe, since the Cup is in many countries the only way to get money in.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
In a knockout tournament like the FIFA Club World Cup that happens a lot. The European teams are superior but football is a game where that's not enough to win.

In 11 editions of the tournament, 4 times CONMEBOL teams were victorious against 7 times by UEFA teams.

And before that, the Intercontinental Cup had CONMEBOL with 22 titles against 21 by UEFA.

I don't think anyone in Europe cares about that trophy at all, I'd imagine they would skip it if they could.

I don't think anyone in Europe cares about that trophy at all, I'd imagine they would skip it if they could.

Europeans tend to say stuff like this when they lose.

Unfortunately for you, the players sure as fuck care, if you see their reactions to losing or winning.

When's Carli Lloyd 64?

39393_front.jpg

I really hope Carli Lloyd or another woman graces the U.S. cover of FIFA 16. Hell, I'd be happy if she graces the Canadian cover too. Better than fucking Messi for the 100th time.

Yeah, I'd love to see her on the cover for FIFA especially now that it has women's teams playable.

For those that are interested, Fox Sports 1 will have an hourlong special with the USWNT and reveal the new jerseys with three stars on the crest starting in a few minutes.

Tubie

A lot of the girls wearing sunglasses at this 3 star special thing on Fox Sports lol.

Wynalda even told Rapinoe that's it's cloudy but she could keep the sunglasses on and she just burst out laughing.

I really hope the refereeing will be stepped up next tournament. What we saw was sometimes outright atricious and on amateur level. And in womens football, the impact of that is far more severe, since the Cup is in many countries the only way to get money in.

They can always use some of the best men referees from FIFA rankings to mix up. Not that is guaranteed to be much better but at least they could help.

Europeans tend to say stuff like this when they lose.

Unfortunately for you, the players sure as fuck care, if you see their reactions to losing or winning.

Yep

aflo_umqa003160A.jpg

44611.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Clearly upset they had to fly out to Japan in the middle of the season for some exhibition games.

Cerberus

Only 18 of Lloyds 69 goals have been scored in friendlies?

Can that be true?

I counted 21.

World Cup - 7
Olympics - 6
Algarve Cup - 12
World Cup Qualifying (Gold Cup) - 7
Olympic Qualifying - 8
Four Nations Tournament - 2
Torneio Internacional de Brasília de Futebol Feminino - 5
Kirin Challenge Cup - 1
Friendly - 21

69 goals. Six of them were PKs.

Truly a big game player.

Tubie

EA could easily do a reversible cover with the USWNT on it -- or Carli or the players they used for mo-cap, at least.

That would be great, and they would be dumb not to do it.

I also wonder what stats the players will get, I bet Lloyd will easily be the highest rated in the US team.

Can't believe they arranged the final at this time of day with the sun being this disruptive. I definitely couldn't catch shit like this.

Football can be really dumb sometimes.

I certainly could have, its called don't wander away from your goal for no fucking reason. Why do you think Lloyd just booted it from so far away...its because she saw how far away the keeper was from goal. Kind of like this goal from David Villa in the 2010 Cup. If the goalie leaves their line you just kick it towards the net.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCApqcTh1FQ

Apparently this tweet by the FA caused negative reactions:

inglaterra.png

Some were complaining about sexism because of the "go back to being mothers, partners and daughters" stuff.

The FA deleted the post.

Honestly, I think they just tried to say go back to their families but in a wrong way.

nilbog21

Banned
I mean yeah what the fuck lol.. Some of those women aren't wives or mothers.. Or cooks or house cleaners ffs

It's just the way they said it. As if they are done with football for now and getting back into the "normal" role of a woman.. .

Mory Dunz

I counted 21.

World Cup - 7
Olympics - 6
Algarve Cup - 12
World Cup Qualifying (Gold Cup) - 9
Olympic Qualifying - 6
Four Nations Tournament - 2
Torneio Internacional de Brasília de Futebol Feminino - 5
Kirin Challenge Cup - 1
Friendly - 21

69 goals. Six of them were PKs.

Truly a big game player.
Ok, I heard 18 from some article. They may need to fact check.

48 being competitive is extremely impressive.

Apparently this tweet by the FA caused negative reactions:

inglaterra.png

Some were complaining about sexism because of the "go back to being mothers, partners and daughters" stuff.

The FA deleted the post.

Honestly, I think they just tried to say go back to their families but in a wrong way.

That's dumb that people find that offensive imo.

If it just said "wives", sure. But it had different stages of family life. childhood, marriage and then motherhood (if they apply).

If some men's team got elimated and it said they go back to being fathers, sons, and husbands today, I don't think that'd be offensive either.

Kazerei

Banned
If some men's team got elimated and it said they go back to being fathers, sons, and husbands today, I don't think that'd be offensive either.

They probably wouldn't have ever said the men go back to being fathers, sons, and husbands though, that's why it seems kinda sexist. The women go back to being professional footballers just as the men do. Ultimately they meant no harm, but they did fall in the trap of stereotyping women as caregivers and family first.

Oersted

They can always use some of the best men referees from FIFA rankings to mix up. Not that is guaranteed to be much better but at least they could help.

Yep

aflo_umqa003160A.jpg

44611.jpg

Fifa wants women only. Which is theoretically fine, but than they have to spent alot of time and money on referee training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom