• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nice celebration! :D

Totally bit them in the ass, too. They stayed out and celebrated after winning on the flukiest of fluke own goals, then they got beaten so badly by the USA that it made the Lesnar/Cena match at Summerslam look like a fair fight.

Maybe next time, save the celebrations for when you don't win by an own goal that leaves one of the opposition in tears?

Totally bit them in the ass, too. They stayed out and celebrated after winning on the flukiest of fluke own goals, then they got beaten so badly by the USA that it made the Lesnar/Cena match at Summerslam look like a fair fight.

Maybe next time, save the celebrations for when you don't win by an own goal that leaves one of the opposition in tears?

Was that from England's match? lol Didn't know.

Peru

For the 2011 World Cup Neogaf had one championship thread which ended with 2228 posts and then another thread for the final which was incredibly longer, with 2502 posts. So around 4700 posts vs 11 600 for this year.

For the 2011 World Cup Neogaf had one championship thread which ended with 2228 posts and then another thread for the final which was incredibly longer, with 2502 posts. So around 4700 posts vs 11 600 for this year.

I blame you guys

That was after the semifinal with England, yeah. It took ovarian fortitude to do that after the way they won,

Yeah, they should have a better judgement of the situation. Should at least feel a bit ashamed to advance by luck.

Mory Dunz

Honestly, when we get to the knockout stages of the Olympics Rio 2016....maybe Lloyd should go up top again with Morgan or whoever. I mean, I feel sorry for Leroux and Press, not getting to play at much and even ARod starting over them after how well they've played the past year.....but if you don't perform, you don't get to play.

They're probably like, "how low are we on the striker depth chart now?" But clutch Lloyd is near the best person on the team. And if Holiday and Brian are in the middle, come knockout time Lloyd could go uptop again.

Rereading the last few pages...

Leroux still coming up?
Really?

Well after Tancredi and Filigno's (and Sinclair to a degree tbh) performance, I guess I understand why you'd want an attacker. Leon wasn't horrible at least...right?

...who cares?

They got to a WC final. Probably their last for a lot them considering their age. They played the game and won. They can celebrate if they want to.

And tears? Um, every losing team in the knockout stages had like half their team bawling from what I saw. Not just Basset so not sure why that matters. If someone cries you shouln't enjoy your acheivement?

And besides...it looks cool.

Yeah, they should have a better judgement of the situation. Should at least feel a bit ashamed to advance by luck.

Why? Did they cheat? Did they not play a 90 minute game? I don't understand this sentiment.
Like, if the "Butt Fumble" happened to win a super bowl, should they not celebrate?

It's not as if the Japan team has had problems with humility the past few years.

...Still glad we wrecked them

Cerberus

GAF has gotten bigger. I think a majority of this forum are from USA/Canada too so having the tournament in our time zone contributed to the thread's activity.

In 2019, the England, France, Germany, Norway, and Sweden fans have to carry the thread. ;)

Honestly, when we get to the knockout stages of the Olympics Rio 2016....maybe Lloyd should go up top again with Morgan or whoever. I mean, I feel sorry for Leroux and Press, not getting to play at much and even ARod starting over them after how well they've played the past year.....but if you don't perform, you don't get to play.

They're probably like, "how low are we on the striker depth chart now?" But clutch Lloyd is near the best person on the team. And if Holiday and Brian are in the middle, come knockout time Lloyd could go uptop again.

Rereading the last few pages...

Leroux still coming up?
Really?

Well after Tancredi and Filigno's (and Sinclair to a degree tbh) performance, I guess I understand why you'd want an attacker. Leon wasn't horrible at least...right?

I don't know if you watched the special on Fox Sports 1 this morning, but Ellis said she was deciding between Morgan and Rodriguez as the lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 against Germany. Press and Syd are under ARod! :lol

And it sounded like Holiday won't play in Rio. Ellis said "What a send off for you" after giving Holiday her 3-star jersey.

Mory Dunz

I don't know if you watched the special on Fox Sports 1 this morning, but Ellis said she was deciding between Morgan and Rodriguez as the lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 against Germany. Press and Syd are under ARod! :lol

And it sounded like Holiday won't play in Rio. Ellis said "What a send off for you" after giving Holiday her 3-star jersey.

Oh I didn't watch it. Lol, that's kind of sad.

I mean, of course Press and leroux are a lot better, but they didn't do too well this tournament. Still, Arod was garbage too so dunno why Ellis was still considering her.

Wait what? Send off for Holiday. That'd definitely be something.
She's only 27 though. Does she want kids or something

Why? Did they cheat? Did they not play a 90 minute game? I don't understand this sentiment.
Like, if the "Butt Fumble" happened to win a super bowl, should they not celebrate?

It's not as if the Japan team has had problems with humility the past few years.

...Still glad we wrecked them

I expressed myself bad. It's not like they didn't deserve it. It's like they should be more critical upon themselves. You were almost eliminated, didn't play well, but for some lucky goal you advanced. The competition is not over yet. That was a big red flag and they just seemed to ignore it with that celebration. In a moment like that you should think about how you are playing and be more discreet in your celebration rather than "look how cool are my dance moves." xD

Oozer3993

Oh I didn't watch it. Lol, that's kind of sad.

I mean, of course Press and leroux are a lot better, but they didn't do too well this tournament. Still, Arod was garbage too so dunno why Ellis was still considering her.

Wait what? Send off for Holiday. That'd definitely be something.
She's only 27 though. Does she want kids or something

Yeah, that seems weird, but oddly that's the second time I've heard someone mention Holliday hanging up her cleats. I was just listening to the SI Planet Futbol podcast from before the final and one of the writers said he wouldn't be surprised if Holliday retired after the tournament. I thought he misspoke at first, but nobody challenged him.

Mory Dunz

I expressed myself bad. It's not like they didn't deserve it. It's like they should be more critical upon themselves. You were almost eliminated, didn't play well, but for some lucky goal you advanced. The competition is not over yet. That was a big red flag and they just seemed to ignore it with that celebration. In a moment like that you should think about how you are playing and be more discreet in your celebration rather than "look how cool are my dance moves." xD
Ok. I see your point, even if I don't fully see eye to eye.

Yeah, that seems weird, but oddly that's the second time I've heard someone mention Holliday hanging up her cleats. I was just listening to the SI Planet Futbol podcast from before the final and one of the writers said he wouldn't be surprised if Holliday retired after the tournament. I thought he misspoke at first, but nobody challenged him.

Weird. Well if she does, at least Brian seems equipped to step into the center midfield role.

Tubie

I'm gonna miss the hell out of this world cup. I watched almost every minute of it.

I know seeding is a thing in men's as well as women's soccer, but I hope they do away with it. A team like France should not have been knocked out so early in this world cup.

I hope the women's side continues to grow, and I'll do my best to follow and support the NWSL.

Clydefrog

Yeah, I heard that too and I was like "what?!" It might just be her saying something she didn't mean literally, caught up in the moment, etc. It was just a handout of new jerseys as opposed to a press conference or similar.

She has the worst "nickname" (maiden name) on the team though: "Cheney"

P04ZPHL.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
...who cares?

They got to a WC final. Probably their last for a lot them considering their age. They played the game and won. They can celebrate if they want to.

And tears? Um, every losing team in the knockout stages had like half their team bawling from what I saw. Not just Basset so not sure why that matters. If someone cries you shouln't enjoy your acheivement?

And besides...it looks cool.

If they didn't win on the flukiest of fluke own goals, it would have been passable, but right there? It was a dick move. I'm glad karma bit them in the ass hard in the finals.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but here's the highlights of USA's goals with Telemundo's Andrés Cantor commentating (it's amazing):

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Is there a Jim Ross mashup yet?

I'm gonna miss the hell out of this world cup. I watched almost every minute of it.

Speaking of which, are you guys gonna watch the Women's football during the Pan American Games?

Surprisingly, the USA, that usually send their youth teams, is out of the competition.

Those teams were at the Women's World Cup and are going to participate at the tournament

Brazil
Canada (current champions)
Colombia
Costa Rica
Mexico
Ecuador

Argentina and Trinidad and Tobago will complete the roster.

The competition will start at 07/11, next Saturday: http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/football/schedule-and-results.htm

I blame you guys

The score was only tied due to poor refereeing. Japan deserved every bit if that win for outplaying England.

Japan didn't lose because of karma or excessive celebration. They lost because like many people have said all tournament, they are a one-dimensional team. Beautiful to watch offensively, as they probably have the best dribbling and passing front line, but their back line and especially goalies were suspect. This can't be seen better by how poorly they defended set pieces and how badly that goalie got beat on that long kick. That goalie was either coming out too far, or not advancing early enough to cut down the angle. That was a problem for them the while tournament. It's just that overwhelmed teams offensively that a lot of their opponents were afraid to push too far forward in fear that the Japan front would own them on the counter. That dribbling and passing (and foot speed) of their front would give any team pause...except the US. The US defense won the world cup. It's no coincidence offensive juggernauts like Germany and Japan looked so lost against us. Combine or staunch defense and their sloppy defense, while our offense is decent, and you end up with a blood bath in the finals.

Japan was always going to lose the finals by at least 2 goals. There's just nothing they'd shown all tournament that proved they'd be able to stop us from scoring.

Sorry, I don't like kicking an opponent when they're down. Japan was a good team, but styles make fights, and this was a clear mismatch.

Holy shit, now I realized that Holiday is Cheney... I thought they were different players haha (Cheney never caught my attention back then so I thought she wasn't at the USWNT anymore)

lmao

zroid

Banned
watching Canada's team at the Pan Am games, I'm pretty sure it's better than the team they sent to the World Cup.

No Tancredi, no Sesselmann. It's addition by subtraction.

Kazerei

Banned
Canada's B team has already scored more goals in 1 match than the A team scored the entire WC tournament. Against a very weak opponent, to be fair. But it's nice that the junior team has a few capable-looking strikers, rather than just pinning all our hopes on Christine Sinclair.

Tubie

watching Canada's team at the Pan Am games, I'm pretty sure it's better than the team they sent to the World Cup.

No Tancredi, no Sesselmann. It's addition by subtraction.

Are they showing these games on cable or streaming them online?

Peru

Not the place for it maybe but I don't think we have a women's footie general thread. It was nice seeing Sweden take the final against Spain in the UEFA U19 today - and surprisingly good crowds for a u19 match in a country (Israel) with little tradition for it. The main thing, though, is that Stina Blackstenius is already a superstar. Some wild runs. Watch for her next european and world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom