• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

Any UMVC3 Player that take part in the UMVC3: OT at all, please post in the UMVC3 OT(Link here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=107231615#post107231615) so we can take suggestions on players that you want to see take part of the NeoGAF VS Reddit 5 VS 5 Battle Royal taking place soon!

At the moment the Reddit team has 4/5 players chosen, with the 5th player being chosen by the community.

At the moment, the NeoGAF side has only one player that is part of the Battle Royal, who is Smurfx(Unofficial), so we need FOUR other players that play of the Xbox 360(Sorry PS3 Players, the PS3 Battle Royal will be done at a later date)

So, please go over to the thread, and post your suggestion of who you want to see take part of the battle royal!

Oh yeah, I still have the shitty trophy that I got from the Gamestop tournament, too. They put next to no effort into it, lol

yeah I wanna see this

I would love a pic. When I ran chess classes, the company I worked for would buy a bunch of crappy trophies for the kids to make them feel special. Even the losers got a "participatory medal".

Oh man, I remember back in the day I won a bunch of cheap looking big trophies in chess.
lol

then again those state championship winner trophies are fucking huge, it was bigger than the actual winner himself

I would love a pic. When I ran chess classes, the company I worked for would buy a bunch of crappy trophies for the kids to make them feel special. Even the losers got a "participatory medal".

qOUlkgB.jpg

The red was colored in by someone else, probably my uncle. The trophy has been in the garage for quite a while, after all!

Prototype

@Professor Beef

Hey, it's great to see someone talk about dissidia! I never had a psp but those games were one of the reasons I really wanted to get one.

Would you mind talking a little more about it in general?

What do you think of the game overall? what do you think the move to console would help legitimize the game and it's scene?

You seem like a nice person and I've seen you post in the FF community thread.

@Professor Beef

Hey, it's great to see someone talk about dissidia! I never had a psp but those games were one of the reasons I really wanted to get one.

Would you mind talking a little more about it in general?

What do you think of the game overall? what do you think the move to console would help legitimize the game and it's scene?

You seem like a nice person and I've seen you post in the FF community thread.

Moving to consoles - or at least the Vita - would help tremendously. I specifically mention the Vita because there might be a way to use PSP files to transfer some stuff, similar to how the transfer worked from the first to second game.

Toss in some changes to the assist mechanic, maybe some changes to Edea and Exdeath, ADD IN ACTUAL NETPLAY, and you've got another winner.

Anne

So it turns out that Tangent Dee Jay player is local to me. Been playing him a bit, him and some other locals are heading over to Civil War.

Prototype

Moving to consoles - or at least the Vita - would help tremendously. I specifically mention the Vita because there might be a way to use PSP files to transfer some stuff, similar to how the transfer worked from the first to second game.

Toss in some changes to the assist mechanic, maybe some changes to Edea and Exdeath, ADD IN ACTUAL NETPLAY, and you've got another winner.

Yes, I could imagine online play being huge. FF is still a popular series, and the cast covers pretty much at least 1 character someone will like. I could see a game like this having really long legs. I would love an "HD remix" on PS4/Vita. Day 1.

Shito

From last thread...

I think having a 3 on 3 team mode or 5 on 5 like that one Chinese KoF would be nice. 1v1 games always feel anti-social when you're playing them for a long time. It's fun grinding out sessions or w/e online, but personally I just feel lonely after awhile.

I'd love to be in a lobby with 2-4 other players on my team shooting the shit and watching someone on my team play in a bo3. You could even make it so your team could give them tips while they're playing or between rounds. I love having voice chat on and talking trash while I play or sending salty messages when I'm done. If I was a fighting game company, my #1 goal would be to figure out how to bring that arcade/local player experience online. Especially if I was making a F2P game.
But, they kind of already did, with lobbies and all. Or, I don't know: do you play teams in your local arcade / at friends?
One of the biggest reasons I play fighting games and not mobas or FPS is that I don't like "having" to play in a team: I just don't enjoy playing with strangers, and I don't like having to schedule my play time with my friends. I usually am quite inconsistent when it comes to my playing hours, so I fancy not having to rely on other persons to play games. That, and I much prefer the 1 vs 1 approach, where every win is my win and every loss my loss -- I don't get to blame any other people than me, and my victories are not shrouded by some cloud of doubt that maybe it's all due to a teammate.

In other news, did we even get a reason as to why the Texas Showdown Ultra exhibitiongot cancelled?

Enordash

While watching Texas Showdown I heard that Ranmasama is in Shreveport. Is there anyone else around this area? Does anyone know how to get a hold of this dude to see what kind of local scene Shreveport has? I am absolute garbage, but would love some people to play with around here. I know no one since I just moved down.

dtg

Neo Member
From last thread...

But, they kind of already did, with lobbies and all. Or, I don't know: do you play teams in your local arcade / at friends?
One of the biggest reasons I play fighting games and not mobas or FPS is that I don't like "having" to play in a team: I just don't enjoy playing with strangers, and I don't like having to schedule my play time with my friends. I usually am quite inconsistent when it comes to my playing hours, so I fancy not having to rely on other persons to play games. That, and I much prefer the 1 vs 1 approach, where every win is my win and every loss my loss -- I don't get to blame any other people than me, and my victories are not shrouded by some cloud of doubt that maybe it's all due to a teammate.

Nah my only local scene is about 10 or so smash players. Nearest scene is about 3-4 hours away, so I have to make do with playing people I meet online outside of the game. None of my friends (online and off) really play fighting games. I like lobbies because I can play the same people over and over, but matchmaking is usually faster so I end up doing that most days. That said, it's pretty easy to find people to play online, and everyone I've played has been friendly, but I just had to go outside of the game to do it.

casperOne

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
Currently, I play SF4 and UMvC3 because those are the only two fighting games out now that I actually enjoy playing. My favorites would probably be CvS1 and 2, Rival Schools 2/Project Justice, Power Stone 1 and 2, Tech Romancer, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Marvel Super Heroes, the Naruto Clash of Ninja AND Ninja Storm series, King of Fighters (11 specifically, but they're all mostly good), Def Jam: Fight For New York, and WWF No Mercy. Top of the heap for me is Final Fantasy Dissidia, which is the best fighting game that nobody will ever play because of the system that it's on.

My man.

qOUlkgB.jpg

The red was colored in by someone else, probably my uncle. The trophy has been in the garage for quite a while, after all!

Wow... I have no words for this.

How do you guys approach learning match ups in sf4? I'm basically trying to learn the game with a new character. I have a different perspective on a lot of things now which turns the way I approached the game before on its head. I feel like I'm playing catch up because I'm still learning fundamentals and match ups people experienced with the older games which I didn't play seriously. I need guidance lol

I keep a journal. Whenever there's a situation in a particular matchup that I find where the character I'm playing against clearly wins/loses, I write it down. It helps me retain it to memory (and allows me to go back and see what I need to remember against that character).

Been doing this since Vanilla.​

Shito

Nope.
And still haven't heard any reason as to why they cancelled it.
Wonder if it's just because they thought they would be too late to show it, or if it had another "don't tell" reason, like a bugged build. That or Capcom decided to keep Ultra showings for the Capcom Cup?

Anne

I keep a journal. Whenever there's a situation in a particular matchup that I find where the character I'm playing against clearly wins/loses, I write it down. It helps me retain it to memory (and allows me to go back and see what I need to remember against that character).

Been doing this since Vanilla.

More people need to be writing stuff down.

While watching Texas Showdown I heard that Ranmasama is in Shreveport. Is there anyone else around this area? Does anyone know how to get a hold of this dude to see what kind of local scene Shreveport has? I am absolute garbage, but would love some people to play with around here. I know no one since I just moved down.

SRK match making section.

SmokeMaxX

There's also a good group in Monroe: https://www.facebook.com/groups/monroefgc/ and one in Texarkana (they're part of the Arkansas Fighting Game Network: https://www.facebook.com/groups/373796221942/ and don't have their own group). The Texarkana guys are having a local tournament (T-Town Throwdown 2) on April 26 if you want to attend: https://www.facebook.com/events/220225701500613/.

Anne

Oh yeah, speaking of regionals/locals, I'll be at BADC this weekend if anybody wants to say hi. Haven't been playing much cause life things, but I'll be around.

Oh yeah, speaking of regionals/locals, I'll be at BADC this weekend if anybody wants to say hi. Haven't been playing much cause life things, but I'll be around.

Yea I'm trying to make it out there as well. B hopefully I'll see you there. Haven't Been to AL in a while because of school. Time to play some pop n music or w/e it's called lol

Top Bottom