• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 30 - Jan 5 | Rest in peace, Nelson "Remix" Reyes

Keits

Developer
Question for Keits and Valle:
With a new gen here, how do you feel about the potential rise in online tournaments? Are they competition to you? Do they devalue or replace physical meetings? Would you like to see them become more prominent?

Online tournaments will never replace in person tournaments, only supplement them. Even if they grow larger than in-person events, they will still aid in the promotion of in-person events. In my opinion, anything that gets people competing adds value to what we do at our physical meetings. I think a lot of people never attend their first tournament because they think they wont do well and they don't see the (non obvious) value of meeting all these amazing like-minded people. Playing in an online tournament might show more people they are good enough to give it a try.

One thing I do see at tournaments, which relates to be people not understanding the value of socializing, is that when players get eliminated they leave. If you are one of those players you are missing the major reason why in-person events are special. Stay, play, meet, greet, cheer, and jeer. I promise you'll like it.

I go to tournaments more to hang out with people than to try and win. Playing with people from all over the world is a lot of fun and a rare opportunity.

CaliPower

Neo Member
Online tournaments will never replace in person tournaments, only supplement them. In my opinion, anything that gets people competing adds value to what we do at our physical meetings. I think a lot of people never attend their first tournament because they think they wont do well and they don't see the (non obvious) value of meeting all these amazing like-minded people. Playing in an online tournament might show more people they are good enough to give it a try.

One thing I do see at tournaments, which relates to be people not understanding the value of socializing, is that when players get eliminated they leave. If you are one of those players you are missing the major reason why in-person events are special. Stay, play, meet, greet, cheer, and jeer. I promise you'll like it.

I do agree live events are better for the socializing aspect, hype, and other experiences online doesn't deliver. So that's why live events have to step up their production to get kids outside of their houses lol.

.la1n

I know I can't compete at the higher levels at tournaments but there's something nostalgic about being able to crowd around a fighting game and cheer people on. I think more people should give it a shot, most of the fun is being there.

One thing I do see at tournaments, which relates to be people not understanding the value of socializing, is that when players get eliminated they leave.

You'd think they'd at least stay for the casuals, it's not like you can get to play other people in a non-laggy environment every day.

I hope evo has more casual stations next year, so people are less inclined to leave after their matches are over and hang out and play some casuals. People still hung around to watch matches, but it would be nice to have byoc stations around.

The salt is too real.

The only time I let the salt get to me was during a Melee tournament. I was at the casual station and it was finally my turn. I won the match, then someone crept up from the shadows and said "hey let's play teams!" I left because I hate Doubles, and found another casual station. Same exact thing happened, with the same fucking person, too. He even looked at me and shrugged like "...what?"

vocab

Rant:
Making decent progress with Valk. Can do a wolf combo, and a wolf into human combo (I did it!). Pretty pleased with my self.

Also learning some benimaru in kof.

Watched Marvel 2 yesterday, and caught the end of jwong watching a single player game.

Looking forward to watching scr.

Kimosabae

Banned
Playing at casual stations is always fun. I refuse to believe that people honestly just up and leave entirely after being eliminated.

SSF4 tournament? Definitely. I don't find that game fun enough on its own to enjoy its casual gameplay environment. I just don't think its design lends itself as well to it as a Smash game or a Marvel game (i.e.). Being around people I like could keep me at the venue to socialize, or I might stick around if there's other games, but if the venue is strictly SSF4; I bounce as soon as I'm eliminated.

You are 100% justified in what you are saying. People can't shit on their own game all year round (in the case of Injustice) and then expect TO's to support them it doesnt work that way. You're basically facing a double standard from a community that barely supports it's own game then gets mad when they don't get the resources that they think they deserve. This wasn't the case when the game first dropped.

Ok I know you and Valle have always been friends to the NRS community but I want to say I don't think this point is fair. Yes there's a lot of guys in our community who shit on injustice but we can't do anything about that. We can't silence CD Jr and the like. But those guys shouldn't speak for us. Trust me no one thinks of those guys as our community leaders anymore, they've been replaced by new blood like Theo who's a WNF regular.

IMO you might be biased because you're NY and sadly the game seems to have died down badly and not recovered post patch like it has in other areas. Since that last patch the vibe is way more positive except NY it seems.

That said I don't mind the cap. It's true, these WC majors were never as big for NRS games as EC. I remember SCR 2011 only had like 64. Strong comp and hype but not 100+ players. Regardless, as soon as I get some money I'll be registering. Trying to get other GGA guys like PPJ to come with me this time.

Oh one last thing, Valle please look into changing the stage rules. Double random to start and loser has the option to double random again has been the standard for a while now. The patch fixed issues making this unviable early on. It's been used for every tournament I know of since, except WNF and I see those guys complain about it.

Keits

Developer
A shocking number of people leave events when eliminated. Especially local players. If the event doesn't give them activities or reasons to stay around or a good setup for spectating, they are gone.

fubarduck

A shocking number of people leave events when eliminated. Especially local players. If the event doesn't give them activities or reasons to stay around or a good setup for spectating, they are gone.

Time to institute the DreamTR-buy-back-into tournament rule!

From Zhi's twitter

There's a storm coming, Mr. Gouki. You and your S-tier friends better batten down the hatches, because when #USF4 hits you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little frame advantage for the rest of us.

fubarduck

Did he try this? I can imagine the results being quite interesting.

If you lost twice in a DreamTR tournament, you could "buy back in" one more time for something like twice the cost of the original entry fee (and get put back in Loser's bracket).

Funniest thing that ever happened with this rule was Hsien buying back into CVS2 at MWC one year after going 0-2 then getting 2nd place in the whole thing. Totally worth the investment!

xCobalt

Pretty much. Last major I went to, they dedicated all the setups for tournament matches so when me and my friends were eliminated, we just went home.

Keits

Developer
Pretty much. Last major I went to, they dedicated all the setups for tournament matches so when me and my friends were eliminated, we just went home.

Stay and talk to people next time. Find hotel room or BYOC casuals to play or just go out to eat with someone and make new friends :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Rant:
Making decent progress with Valk. Can do a wolf combo, and a wolf into human combo (I did it!). Pretty pleased with my self.
Was it pretty easy to get down once you got his combo flow down? :p

After a few more days of practice join me and proto for some games :D

vocab

Was it pretty easy to get down once you got his combo flow down? :p

After a few more days of practice join me and proto for some games :D

A little bit. I don't have damaging combos really, and have only played a few with friends and landed them in matches.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A little bit. I don't have damaging combos really, and have only played a few with friends and landed them in matches.

:p You'll get his basic damage stuff down in a few days easy, a lot of his stuff follows the same general flow. Worry about learning those tail loop combos later btw that's his hardest stuff

xCobalt

Stay and talk to people next time. Find hotel room or BYOC casuals to play or just go out to eat with someone and make new friends :D

We definitely talked to people during the tournament. It was good getting insight from top players and such. We just got bored towards the end of the day lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
How effective do you think the extra stuff at UFGT is at keeping people around compared to other events?

alstein

I know I can't compete at the higher levels at tournaments but there's something nostalgic about being able to crowd around a fighting game and cheer people on. I think more people should give it a shot, most of the fun is being there.

I don't want to be a cheerleader, I want to know if I can compete with those folks, or at least come up with some ridiculous fraudulent troll strategy that gives me a chance.

At TFC I didn't do much this year- some of that was being sick, the rest was just being in a complete FG funk , I couldn't even play VF that day at all.
The poverty room and the 98UM machine is what kept me around.

Silky

Banned
Ugh. Online ranked is awful on AE. Shit's not even enjoyable. But I guess I gotta endure it if I really want to learn something

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
last year, when I went to SEGA Cup, i bought a ps3 stick with the intent of selling it after i got back home. I broke even, it was nice - but that was when SCV sticks were constantly on sale for $80-90. I don't think i'll be so lucky this time around, and I need a PS3 stick for SCR.

is a dual mod my best option? does it even make sense to dual mod now that nextgen is here? modding a cheap stick is somewhat inexpensive since i only need 3 buttons

Vice

last year, when I went to SEGA Cup, i bought a ps3 stick with the intent of selling it after i got back home. I broke even, it was nice - but that was when SCV sticks were constantly on sale for $80-90. I don't think i'll be so lucky this time around, and I need a PS3 stick for SCR.

is a dual mod my best option? does it even make sense to dual mod now that nextgen is here? modding a cheap stick is somewhat inexpensive since i only need 3 buttons

Dual modding doesn't cost too much. With next-gen consoles you can, or will soon, be able to mod it to work on a next gen console.

I think Mad Catz is having a sale as well.

Omega

Banned
Question for Keits and Valle:
With a new gen here, how do you feel about the potential rise in online tournaments? Are they competition to you? Do they devalue or replace physical meetings? Would you like to see them become more prominent?

I hope online tournaments become more frequent..as long as the netcodes allow it to happen.

That could go a long way to helping the scene grow

I'm trying to talk my friends into going to Defend the North, but they don't wanna go. I don't care if I get bodied, but they do. They don't want to spend X amount of dollars when they might go 0-2.

At least online tournaments will help people get comfortable with a tournament setting and maybe more willing to go out to tournaments.

Top Bottom