• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Mr. X

Akuma is still cool. Especially 3S Akuma. Especially if you still like DBZ.

Ken adds nothing that Ryu and Akuma do. Sean looks radically different compared to Ken.

shaowebb

Akuma is still cool. Especially 3S Akuma. Especially if you still like DBZ.

Ken adds nothing that Ryu and Akuma do. Sean looks radically different compared to Ken.

Hey! Thats...um...you shouldn't...I'm...well...huh.

You know what. You're right. I think Ken needs some new specials to change this. How bout a Ground fireball like Terry Bogard to bait folks into his uppercut?

.la1n

Is it wrong that I'm currently more interested in KI than SFV? Not hatin on SFV...it looks good so far, but I'm on the fence still after what I saw as to whether It'd fit me. KI just looks like more fun to me so far.

Wish there was a new tag fighter with assists though. Thats my real love interest. Just haven't felt the same towards fighters in ages without one.

I'll be honest I like Killer Instinct's character variety but at this point I wish they were in a different fighting engine. The combo, breaker, counter breaker system has gotten really old for me. You can't legitimately read lights or mediums so your left either eating damage or guess breaking. I don't particularly care for having to guess in my fighting games to determine the outcome of matches. Also, as amazing as the tools are for the season 2 cast especially it still ultimately hinges on the same tug of war combo game once the opponent is opened up.

If that's fun for you then you'll love it but if your like me you'll play it for the characters but spend most of your time doing lab work for fun. I gravitate more towards MK X now and am looking forward to getting back into something more fundamental heavy like Street Fighter.

I feel like maybe if Iron Galaxy was the developer from the get go we could have gotten a more interesting fighting engine. As it stands I think they've done their best with what they had to add on to.

Dahbomb

damn I missed Marvel Top 8. Fucking Destiny raids oh well. How was it and how did the view count look?
I think somewhere around the 25K-30K range. Top 3 was godlike because Jan and Full Schedule brought the heat! ChrisG vs Jan match was definitely the highlight of the top 8 and a couple of the Full Schedule matches.

Definitely want to see Sean first if we must have more shotos immediately in SFV.

Screw Akuma, screw Sakura, screw Gouken, FUCK Evil Ryu, and yes, screw Ken.

But Dan's OK

jerry1594

Who cares lol. The entire timeline from beginning to end is like 11 years. At most sf5 will be like 2 years before 3s. Even less if it's before 2i.

alstein

re: Ken they could just give him back his roll, his RED Kick-like thing he had in CVS2 and his kick variations from ST.

Make Ken a grappler with his knee bash command grab, ST Air Throw, and SFA2 roll, and nerf his fireball into near-uselessness. Drive the flowchart Kens into self-doubt.

shaowebb

I'll be honest I like Killer Instinct's character variety but at this point I wish they were in a different fighting engine. The combo, breaker, counter breaker system has gotten really old for me. You can't legitimately read lights or mediums so your left either eating damage or guess breaking. I don't particularly care for having to guess in my fighting games to determine the outcome of matches. Also, as amazing as the tools are for the season 2 cast especially it still ultimately hinges on the same tug of war combo game once the opponent is opened up.

If that's fun for you then you'll love it but if your like me you'll play it for the characters but spend most of your time doing lab work for fun. I gravitate more towards MK X now and am looking forward to getting back into something more fundamental heavy like Street Fighter.

I feel like maybe if Iron Galaxy was the developer from the get go we could have gotten a more interesting fighting engine. As it stands I think they've done their best with what they had to add on to.

Hmmm...I get what you're saying. I'm still not 100% clear on the meta of the game as I have no means to play it yet. The characters and their tools are definitely what excite me. Making random button presses to try and breaker doesn't sound that great sadly. I still want to play though because man is there ever a lot of cool character powers in it. Some of the shit dudes show up with in character reveals for that game parallel stuff me and Q put on paper so much its hilarious sometimes.

I eagerly look forward to learning folks like Aria, Omen and Kan-Ra someday.

Make Ken a grappler with his knee bash command grab, ST Air Throw, and SFA2 roll, and nerf his fireball into near-uselessness. Drive the flowchart Kens into self-doubt.

Ive wanted them to do something this with Ken for a while. Would be very interesting.

At the very least bring the kick variations back and nerf his fireball even more.

I like talking smack as much as the next guy but if he did win ESL this won't be a good look.

It's like an astronomically low chance, though. How is he even training for it? Playing ranked online? Meanwhile all the other top players are grinding the shit out of it offline.

This only seems like a legit reason if he's way more talented than the rest of the field, and that definitely isn't true anymore

rrc1594

Yeah I feel the same way. I love watching KI, but playing the guessing game can be really annoying. I wonder after Season 3 if they are just going to ride it out for the rest of this Gen. I don't see another season after 3, are they going to release another KI. I would try to get a crossover game with KI maybe MK or Darkstalkers. Then do little updates to KI.

kirblar

Erm, why?

Birdie/Bison can be old after SF3 and Urien could have died/gone away and they put his gem or a similar gem in Charlie's body.
Just that they're overlapping SF3-specific stuff while retaining SF2/4/0 things that are aged up. It's way easier to do pre-SF3 than post.

Okay.

I never believed the whole "PR Rog wears a toupee" thing.

BUT

His hair looks weird as fuck right now. I can't put my finger on it.

Tripon

Honestly this was a terrible "blowup". Sure you can poke fun about his complaint about other streamers getting more views than him, but not him prioritizing a tournament that is worth more money.

He picked an online tournament over an offline tournament that would feature a lot of the opponents he would face in the only offline ESL tournament. He was signed up for months, and he begged out at the last second. Perfect Legend deserves to get blown up.

The Light

He picked an online tournament over an offline tournament that would feature a lot of the opponents he would face in the only offline ESL tournament. He was signed up for months, and he begged out at the last second. Perfect Legend deserves to get blown up.

During the 2nd year of MK9 he didn't go to most tournaments and people were using the same "dodging" excuse, but in the end who won Evo that year? The online qualifiers are more important for PL and if he doesn't want to show his hand until the offline ESL than that is his choice and not worthy of being blown up.

Tripon

During the 2nd year of MK9 he didn't go to most tournaments and people were using the same "dodging" excuse, but in the end who won Evo that year? The online qualifiers are more important for PL and if he doesn't want to show his hand until the offline ESL than that is his choice and not worthy of being blown up.

Agreed that it's only worth it if he wins.

But he likely won't.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vote for thread titles below. Will only count stuff below this post.

FGW | Asuza's Wrath
FGW | DARKNESS EVERYBODY, DARKNESS

Top Bottom