• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

stn

Anyone wanna play SFxT on Xbox?
Gonna PM you! If I'm not on tonight I'll definitely be on tomorrow. I believe we're both from TO so we should have no connection issues.

EDIT:

1. HDR
2. SFxT
3. IGAU
4. USF4
5. CVS2 (would be higher if I could play online)

JeTmAn81

This list is going to be so fraudulent given how much time I've actually spent on two of the titles despite liking them, but here goes:

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. Vampire Saviour
3. Guilty Gear Xrd
4. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
(I'm going to get lynched I know)
5. Third Strike: Street Fighter III

Putting Xrd above Marvel after only a few months. Son, I am disappoint.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
KI panel starting at PAX now-ish

They're announcing a new game mode and showing off new character (ghost girl)... maybe more.

shaowebb

Reposting for this page.
I have a question for folks...what 5 fighting games did you have the most fun with?

I'm not asking which was the best or the most balanced fighters or what fighting games had the biggest scenes...just which 5 fighting games you've ever played did you have the most fun with

*yes Smash Bros counts*

Just idly trying to get an idea about something that I keep wondering about.

My wife's list:
  1. Smash Bros Melee
  2. Smash Bros Brawl
  3. Smash Bros 64
  4. Evil Zone (sorry Q)
  5. TIE Soul Calibur 2 (gamecube)/ Guilty Gear XX Reload

hitsugi

It'd be hard to put that list in order with nostalgia and whatnot, but:

1. CVS2
2. MVC2
3. 3S
4. P4AU
5. ST

...that might be in order, actually.

shaowebb

She played Kakurine and got to be a 1000 year old vampire loli ...like she's always dreamed lol. Her brother played Linedwell so nothing but impaling himself all day. I just sat and watched with this mouth open smile of stupid joy the whole time. Magical.

DopeyFish

KI is going to have drivatars lol

they analyze your play and i assume you can play against the "shadows" of pros

this kind of has interesting implications for single player games

name of next character is Hisako

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
She played Kakurine and got to be a 1000 year old vampire loli ...like she's always dreamed lol. Her brother played Linedwell so nothing but impaling himself all day. I just sat and watched with this mouth open smile of stupid joy the whole time. Magical.

See you were basically killing brain cells by just being in it's presence!

shaowebb

Not really. I bought every shadow pack in vanilla Marvel and while they were programmed with Better AI and very particular team strategies based on pros and such it was still a blowout that got Dull. I smoked em all just running Vanilla Storm/Ryu/Sentinel.

DopeyFish

Not really. I bought every shadow pack in vanilla Marvel and while they were programmed with Better AI and very particular team strategies based on pros and such it was still a blowout that got Dull. I smoked em all just running Vanilla Storm/Ryu/Sentinel.

well... the AI in KI is already pretty damn challenging

edit: has a revenge meter... guarantees counterhit... anti grappler archetype

edit 2: brief footage from pokerface https://twitter.com/im_PokerFace/status/574269425903341568

alstein

I have a question for folks...what 5 fighting games did you have the most fun with?

I'm not asking which was the best or the most balanced fighters or what fighting games had the biggest scenes...just which 5 fighting games you've ever played did you have the most fun with

*yes Smash Bros counts*

1) KOF98 series
2) SamSho V Special
3) SamSho II
4) VF 5 series
5) Soul Calibur 2

No, but it's being recorded and will be uploaded later.
Nope, but a recording of it will be up later.
I can live with that.

I've been waitin on something like this for fighting games. Players will find things the developers may not have put in the original AI, and it'd be cool to have a way to play against those tactics without it always being an actual player.

Gonna PM you! If I'm not on tonight I'll definitely be on tomorrow. I believe we're both from TO so we should have no connection issues.

EDIT:

1. HDR
2. SFxT
3. IGAU
4. USF4
5. CVS2 (would be higher if I could play online)

Yo add me guys, my gamer tag is "emperor bohe". Haven't really played since the patch...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
in general:
Fighters Megamix
Virtua Fighter 4EVO
Soul Calibur 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter 5 FS

playing with the lady:
Guilty Gear AC+R
Tekken 6
Super Turbo
Marvel vs Capcom
Soul Calibur IV

I agree but you have to take franchise fanbase moving to other games and the lack of new things into account. Doing BB in 3D is ok but if you go back to CT roster and try to sell it again just by saying it's now 3D it's not going to be enough.

You mean what exactly they're doing with Xrd, an older IP with an older audience?

I still don't understand your reasoning. At best, I can only agree with the notion of them continuing with Xrd because they invested too much of their resources in producing it.

Rhapsody

Banned

*yes Smash Bros counts*

5 fighting games I have the most fun with?

1) Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
2) Marvel vs Capcom 2
3) Super Smash Bros. Melee
4) Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R
5) Capcom vs SNK 2

Top3 were easy for me. Spots 4 and 5 were really difficult. I really wanted to add games like 3S, Melty, Vampire Savior, and UNIEL.

Alpha 2 and 3 are honorable mentions too. I know people really hate on Alpha 3, but I think some (but not all) are just bandwagoning that 2 is the best just because of not putting the time in 3 and word of mouth. The game's actually really cool, especially with the guard bar.

fader

in general:
Fighters Megamix
Virtua Fighter 4EVO
Soul Calibur 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter 5 FS

playing with the lady:
Guilty Gear AC+R
Tekken 6
Super Turbo
Marvel vs Capcom
Soul Calibur IV

boy.... you sure do love....
Soul Calibur...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Only good thing about Tenkaichi is this

4J0eKjI.jpg

Most fun?

1. P4AU
2. BBCP
3. SC5
4. Touhou Hisoutensoku
5. DoA5

I'd almost add SF4 (It's only the last month or so i've been getting decent enough that i can consider it fun) and Tekken Tag2/Rev (I love playing it but so far i haven't been able to convince anyone else i know to give it a try, so i can't play/talk about it in person.. ).

Top 5:

1. Melee (no contest)
2. KOF13
3. GGXrd
4. VSav
5. ???

5th is probably Soul Edge or Soul Calibur 2, strictly casual button mashing. But dat content.

*yes Smash Bros counts*

not in any order

soul calibur 1
guilty gear xx
sf2
marvel 3
doa3

You mean what exactly they're doing with Xrd, an older IP with an older audience?

I still don't understand your reasoning. At best, I can only agree with the notion of them continuing with Xrd because they invested too much of their resources in producing it.

They aren't just transforming GG into GG in 3D. I think it's more complicated than that. It's my personal opinion but here you go since you asked for an explanation.

The goal with Xrd isn't just to gather the old fanbase, it's to change well enough the game to create a new one without alienating the old fans. Arc is working with anime trends, they always did even if they say they don't take notice. When they created Guilty Gear it was during a golden era of original anime and they registered to it without even thinking about it (think Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun). When they started doing BlazBlue in 2006/2007, the anime world was influenced a lot by amateur works (dojins adapted to anime, more positive characters, school stories all the time) and they rushed inside this to make BB because Mori is probably a bit of an otaku. As a result BlazBlue is just an hyper deluxe dojin without any consistency and that's why I don't like it and why it was so successful.
There will be a time when BlazBlue will be out of fashion however, will not please any new players like GG did. Not because it's 2D, because it's out of the trend and transforming it into 3D will not change this. Tekken has the same problem with the nineties attitude of the series where electro music/colors/non-sense is the rule (bears! robotic ninjas! bruce lee! grandpa moving by doing farts!) and it won't necesseraly please a new audience. That's the reason Tekken 7 is trying something new with characters like Lucky Chloe or Shaheen while avoiding characters like Yoshimitsu or Kuma. They may come in the game later but at the moment they are not. There's a reason for that. Maybe people don't undestand what are bears and Yoshimitsu referring to?

So back to Arc. Today you're seing a lot of new anime series that appeals a lot to the first period anime fans I mentioned with more adult stories being very successful, classic themes adapted to a new generation (first that are coming to my mind are Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, Terror in Resonance) all of them that can be watched even if you are not an anime guy. It's not quite as original/crude as before and not as amateur or "anime at school", it's an in-between, somewhere between being positive but serious. Xrd is positionning itself right inside it by smoothing his designs and characters and tone, trying to please old fans with classic designs and the promise it's as before, but also adding characters like Ramlethal, Elphelt or Leo who seems popular among new players of the series... And BlazBlue fans too from what I saw.
Simply put Xrd is not just "GG in 3D", it's GG trying to adapt to a new period where people have new expectations. GGX and GGXX, the base of all the other games, came out 13 to 15 years ago. Rebooting GG was a smart move as everyone asked for it. But they are using GG to do something else than what is what made for. As a result the game is risky as it has to find a balance.

In my opinion it didn't find that balance but that's a whole other topic.

Edit: wrote a wall of text again sorry guys. -_-

NEO0MJ

Most fun I had with a fighting game...

Marvel vs Capcom
Street Fighter IV
Super Smash Bros Melee
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Vampire Savior

These games probably gave me more joy than any other fighting game.

Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Virtua Fighter 2
Tekken 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
man in 1995 VF2 was just unbelievable for me
it's still fun these days but the absence of a sidestep means movement isn't as fun as 3 and beyond

Anth0ny

*yes Smash Bros counts*

1. Melee
2. Smash 64
3. Marvel 3
4. Street Fighter II
5. Brawl (offset with a lot of misery)

Top Bottom