• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

jerry1594

I have a question for folks...what 5 fighting games did you have the most fun with?

I'm not asking which was the best or the most balanced fighters or what fighting games had the biggest scenes...just which 5 fighting games you've ever played did you have the most fun with

*yes Smash Bros counts*

Just idly trying to get an idea about something that I keep wondering about.
1. Melee
2. Third Strike
3. Vampire Savior
4. Super Turbo
5. Tatsunoko

People knowledgeable on Vsav did the arranged version on PS2 implement the Hunter characters well?

NEO0MJ

In the midst of list wars Thomasorus actually posting cool stuff! I eagerly await lists of favorite lists.

There have been a lot of list wars in this thread. Are we running out of stuff to talk about?

And that post by Thomasorus was pretty interesting.

I like how he refers to companies with pronouns.

Since english is not my native language I have a LOT of problem with pronouns, I'm sorry. Since in french "it" doesn't exist, a company, a console or a "thing" has to male or female (he or she). For example consoles are female in French, but the Gameboy and the Gamecube are male. So you say "La Playstation" and "Le Gamecube". :| Mostly because Nintendo refers to theses consoles as toys, and toy is male : "un jouet".

And thanks for the kind comments!

.la1n

man in 1995 VF2 was just unbelievable for me
it's still fun these days but the absence of a sidestep means movement isn't as fun as 3 and beyond

I remember that time fondly because my best friend and I agreed to each buy one of the competing consoles (he bought a Sega Saturn and I got the Sony Playstation) so that we would have access to both libraries of games. In the early days he was pretty jelly of Tekken vs Virtual Fighter but as soon as Virtua Fighter 2 hit I knew it was something special. He was also fortunate in having the better versions of 2D fighters for the most part.

CPS2

Since english is not my native language I have a LOT of problem with pronouns, I'm sorry. Since in french "it" doesn't exist, a company, a console or a "thing" has to male or female (he or she). For example consoles are female in French, but the Gameboy and the Gamecube are male. So you say "La Playstation" and "Le Gamecube". :| Mostly because Nintendo refers to theses consoles as toys, and toy is male : "un jouet".

And thanks for the kind comments!

I remember hearing about this when I did French in highschool (and I remember you're French from your posts here). The logic behind whats considered male and female is pretty funny, I think my teacher had a lot of trouble explaining any of it and just wanted us to remember stuff...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I remember that time fondly because my best friend and I agreed to each buy one of the competing consoles (he bought a Sega Saturn and I got the Sony Playstation) so that we would have access to both libraries of games. In the early days he was pretty jelly of Tekken vs Virtual Fighter but as soon as Virtua Fighter 2 hit I knew it was something special. He was also fortunate in having the better versions of 2D fighters for the most part.

I had a launch Saturn back then and was super jealous of PS1 owners due entirely to FF7

On what grounds? Better performance or M$ money hats?

The way it was implied, money hat. Maybe MLG will have it and that's the console they'll use?

Geez I should just be a pad player at this point.

Wait, like standard at tournaments? How would he know?

I thought they're leaning towards PS4 for Evo?

Yeah he acknowledged that they're using PS4, then insisted that Xbone would be the standard.

Marvel 3
SC2 GC
Melee
SSF2
SSFIV

Last two off: MvC1 and KI SNES. Probably won't ever forget MvC1 loading up for the first time on my cousin's Dreamcast.

Dahbomb

The way it was implied, money hat. Maybe MLG will have it and that's the console they'll use?

Geez I should just be a pad player at this point.

Yeah he acknowledged that they're using PS4, then insisted that Xbone would be the standard.
I guess Microsoft money hatted MLG and Sony money hatted EVO.

This is just going to be really strange for the community.

I guess Microsoft money hatted MLG and Sony money hatted EVO.

This is just going to be really strange for the community.

More like Sony money hatted the Capcom Pro Tour since it sounds like every CPT Premier Event will have to use USF4 on the PS4 once it releases and not just EVO. It sounds like EVO had to get on board with this or be left out of the CPT and I don't blame them for it.

Dahbomb

Was talking about MKX as that will be on PS4 for EVO.

Talking about Capcom/Sony money hats is a foregone conclusion at this time. Can't even call that money hats at this point, it's so in your face.

Woohoo, I am in Grand Finals for Smash at Mile High Massacre. Only 16 people signed up, but I still feel good. :p Apparently it is going to be streamed.

Kimosabae

Banned
An old friend of mine could never say "Bowser" correctly. "Browser" is my affectionate nick for the character as a result.

That KI character looks dope. Makoto x ABA x Ringu.

I can't appreciate Darkstalkers. I really tried, though.

"If you can hear my voice 100% clearly - please donate up to 100$ for a HD microphone!"

LMFAO

They aren't just transforming GG into GG in 3D. I think it's more complicated than that. It's my personal opinion but here you go since you asked for an explanation.

The goal with Xrd isn't just to gather the old fanbase, it's to change well enough the game to create a new one without alienating the old fans. Arc is working with anime trends, they always did even if they say they don't take notice. When they created Guilty Gear it was during a golden era of original anime and they registered to it without even thinking about it (think Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun). When they started doing BlazBlue in 2006/2007, the anime world was influenced a lot by amateur works (dojins adapted to anime, more positive characters, school stories all the time) and they rushed inside this to make BB because Mori is probably a bit of an otaku. As a result BlazBlue is just an hyper deluxe dojin without any consistency and that's why I don't like it and why it was so successful.
There will be a time when BlazBlue will be out of fashion however, will not please any new players like GG did. Not because it's 2D, because it's out of the trend and transforming it into 3D will not change this. Tekken has the same problem with the nineties attitude of the series where electro music/colors/non-sense is the rule (bears! robotic ninjas! bruce lee! grandpa moving by doing farts!) and it won't necesseraly please a new audience. That's the reason Tekken 7 is trying something new with characters like Lucky Chloe or Shaheen while avoiding characters like Yoshimitsu or Kuma. They may come in the game later but at the moment they are not. There's a reason for that. Maybe people don't undestand what are bears and Yoshimitsu referring to?

So back to Arc. Today you're seing a lot of new anime series that appeals a lot to the first period anime fans I mentioned with more adult stories being very successful, classic themes adapted to a new generation (first that are coming to my mind are Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, Terror in Resonance) all of them that can be watched even if you are not an anime guy. It's not quite as original/crude as before and not as amateur or "anime at school", it's an in-between, somewhere between being positive but serious. Xrd is positionning itself right inside it by smoothing his designs and characters and tone, trying to please old fans with classic designs and the promise it's as before, but also adding characters like Ramlethal, Elphelt or Leo who seems popular among new players of the series... And BlazBlue fans too from what I saw.
Simply put Xrd is not just "GG in 3D", it's GG trying to adapt to a new period where people have new expectations. GGX and GGXX, the base of all the other games, came out 13 to 15 years ago. Rebooting GG was a smart move as everyone asked for it. But they are using GG to do something else than what is what made for. As a result the game is risky as it has to find a balance.

In my opinion it didn't find that balance but that's a whole other topic.

Edit: wrote a wall of text again sorry guys. -_-
I really enjoyed reading this.

JeTmAn81

Why is Xrd considered Guilty Gear in 3D? I understand how the game was developed, but it's still a 2D fighting game isn't it? No sidesteps or anything.

Azure J

Please write more walls of text. A lot of this I understood from the jump but it's always nice seeing it spelled out and it makes for good discussion on fighting game character design/aesthetic design. I have to wonder what Xrd would have looked like if Arc got the itch to go "even further beyond" with their anime influence and Bebop/Eva/Trigun were the current state of the anime visual aesthetic world.

JeTmAn81

It has 3D character models instead of sprites.

It's still a 2D fighter because it's on a 2D plane.

That's what I mean. Being built out of polygons in a 3D engine doesn't make it a 3D fighting game. It's irrelevant to the gameplay. It's really not different from Street Fighter IV in this respect, is it?

ILoveBish

I have a question for folks...what 5 fighting games did you have the most fun with?

Fatal Fury Special
Street Fighter 2 CE
Samurai Shodown 2
SF4 series (back into ultra now)
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus Alpha

I would say MvC3 series, but as a grown man, i've never felt so salty in my lifetime playing a game more, i love playing it, but i hate losing in it more then anything ever created.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I laughed at this more than I should have.

just read the manga

I might just buy all the manga for it, it has been tempting me for years.

Right after Capcom All-Stars. ;_;

CGSWP5T.png

Berserk, Vision of Escaflowne, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Gundam 0083, Golden Boy, Record of Lodoss War, Slam Dunk, GTO were among my favorites from the 90s.

Mah man, you know Golden Boy? Lol. I've heard of Escaflowne and Record of Lodoss War. GTO is gdlk, best anime period. Only reason why I got interested in teaching in the first place.

I've put in enough Marvel hours on Vita to tell you it can take any beating you throw at it. Also, why you mashin with Wolverine? Swiss Cheese.

Berserker barrage man! Spencer assist to get you on the ground to then that racks up crazy damage and kills ~80% of the cast with two meters.

I'm not asking which was the best or the most balanced fighters or what fighting games had the biggest scenes...just which 5 fighting games you've ever played did you have the most fun with

*yes Smash Bros counts*

Just idly trying to get an idea about something that I keep wondering about.

1) Melee
2) UMVC3
3) SF2
4) 3S
5) USF4

We're doing more lists?

Who are your favorite players in the games you're interested in?

Jwong, dude knows his anime.

Only good thing about Tenkaichi is this

4J0eKjI.jpg

lol, smug goku is the best

Who are your top 5 regular posters in this thread tho?

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan.

Wow, Iron Galaxy is doing a hell of a better job than DH did with the IP. I might actually buy KI on PC and learn how to play it.

fader

They aren't just transforming GG into GG in 3D. I think it's more complicated than that. It's my personal opinion but here you go since you asked for an explanation.

The goal with Xrd isn't just to gather the old fanbase, it's to change well enough the game to create a new one without alienating the old fans. Arc is working with anime trends, they always did even if they say they don't take notice. When they created Guilty Gear it was during a golden era of original anime and they registered to it without even thinking about it (think Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun). When they started doing BlazBlue in 2006/2007, the anime world was influenced a lot by amateur works (dojins adapted to anime, more positive characters, school stories all the time) and they rushed inside this to make BB because Mori is probably a bit of an otaku. As a result BlazBlue is just an hyper deluxe dojin without any consistency and that's why I don't like it and why it was so successful.
There will be a time when BlazBlue will be out of fashion however, will not please any new players like GG did. Not because it's 2D, because it's out of the trend and transforming it into 3D will not change this. Tekken has the same problem with the nineties attitude of the series where electro music/colors/non-sense is the rule (bears! robotic ninjas! bruce lee! grandpa moving by doing farts!) and it won't necesseraly please a new audience. That's the reason Tekken 7 is trying something new with characters like Lucky Chloe or Shaheen while avoiding characters like Yoshimitsu or Kuma. They may come in the game later but at the moment they are not. There's a reason for that. Maybe people don't undestand what are bears and Yoshimitsu referring to?

So back to Arc. Today you're seing a lot of new anime series that appeals a lot to the first period anime fans I mentioned with more adult stories being very successful, classic themes adapted to a new generation (first that are coming to my mind are Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, Terror in Resonance) all of them that can be watched even if you are not an anime guy. It's not quite as original/crude as before and not as amateur or "anime at school", it's an in-between, somewhere between being positive but serious. Xrd is positionning itself right inside it by smoothing his designs and characters and tone, trying to please old fans with classic designs and the promise it's as before, but also adding characters like Ramlethal, Elphelt or Leo who seems popular among new players of the series... And BlazBlue fans too from what I saw.
Simply put Xrd is not just "GG in 3D", it's GG trying to adapt to a new period where people have new expectations. GGX and GGXX, the base of all the other games, came out 13 to 15 years ago. Rebooting GG was a smart move as everyone asked for it. But they are using GG to do something else than what is what made for. As a result the game is risky as it has to find a balance.

In my opinion it didn't find that balance but that's a whole other topic.

so what do you think GG needs to find that balance? (I'm not up to date with modern anime trends/expectations)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Who's on the team thus far?

Damn, haven't seen much of the socal/norcal players nor do I know who belongs to which. All I know is Justin is gonna be captain of his side while F. Champ is gonna be on the other. Whoever has Chris G, Cloud, or Apologyman on their team will be a freaking threat. Only notable players that come to mind that live in the WC and have proven themselves time and time again. Unless PR Rog decides to play lol, I also forgot about Clackwerk.

Top Bottom