• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of March 2nd to the 8th, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well. If you are looking to see what events are coming up past this week, check out the FGC Event Calendar that our own Malice215 put together.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibg8VoGHXS8BOI.jpg

ibcFc4B35Sbsvs.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we're looking to double up this year and send him to EVO again!

If you want to help out, you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Abuget Cup [ Saturday ] [ 10AM Jakarta | 10PM EDT Friday | 7PM EDT Friday ]
  • Out of Jakarta, Indonesia we get one of the first Capcom Pro Tour Ranking events, at a USFIV-only event.
  • Capcom Pro Tour Ranking Event
  • More information is available here.

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

i5c2kiahHGbzj.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at the one member who takes character stannery to the maximum, CountBlackule!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
I’m currently playing USF4 and trying to learn Guilty Gear Xrd. My attempt at trying to learn Xrd has shown me that.. I just might be a one trick pony
kttcoliflabbynsick

Favourite fighting game of all time would have to be Budokai 3 SF4. I’ll be honest, I’m a filthy 09er
kttcoliflabbynsick

What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Probably
Sadly
X-Factor. I know
kttcolibeli

I really like that a lot of different combo opportunities open whenever you want to pop that cherry. While I think it’s sometimes a bit too strong..I’ve had way to many lvl3 Dark Wesker come backs in Vanilla to really hate.

There's really no mechanics in FG's that I really hate since I can usually abuse it right back.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I used to play tons of Melee with friends and stuff. I remember searching on youtube and finding out about Ken, Bombsoldier and Gimpyfish lol. That’s what really opened my eyes to the competitive side of Melee and video games in general. I remember trying to learn how to do the Ken combo, wave dashing and etc.

I used to play a lot of Halo 3 back when it was hot in the MLG days. I was pretty good IMO and I went to MLG Toronto way back in the day but that was about it. Now I just play tons of League of Legends because I’m a masochist
Z5jwGML.png

What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
zdeebRj.png

To be honest though I’m not totally sure. I always go for the black characters
S/O’s to Black History Month
zdeebRj.png
, Boxing characters, Bruce Lee clones or a character with a sword
fuck anime
. In Vanilla SF4 I used Balrog, then the Super era was DJ now the Ultra era is Elena. Favourite game from each franchise though would be..

SF -
latest
Balrog-gigaton.gif
Cammy-super.gif
feilong.gif
latest

Tekken - Steve Fox, Forest Law and Eddy Gordo

Melee - Marth

MK - Sub Zero, Lui Kang and Jax
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I’d say I play mostly a rush down type of play. I like to get up in that ass quickly on some
FSwaNLR.png
type shit nawmsayin. I’ve always hated the turtle style runaway characters hence why I hate Sagat so much. I’ve come to respect the turtle style more now because they have it pretty hard in SF4.. but Guile/Dhalsim/Sagat and whoever can still eat a dick
owQa4.png

I try to make it out to as many local tournaments and get togethers as I can. Sometimes it just cost to much to go to Toronto for me so I pick and choose which events to go to. Locally I play.. well I never feel like I play my best. One issue that I have to get over is the different timing on the smaller monitors they use compared to the 40’ laggy TV that I’ve gotten used to. It feels like two different games every time I play. Online GAWD tho.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Strengths: To adapt. After every round win or lose I try to understand why I lost or why I took a certain amount of damage then to correct myself from that mistake. I really play by the "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." I try not to fall for the same thing more than twice. I also really try to read patterns of players.

Weaknesses: Recovering from a close loss or getting too frustrated. Example; if I drop a game winning combo then proceed to lose the rest of the set. I’d probably be in a bad mindset for the rest of the tournament and generally be dwelling on that previous match instead of looking ahead to losers bracket or the next match.

I’ve also got mental blocks against some characters like E Honda. Character is pretty bad but I still get rekt over and over. :/
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best: Playing against Ed Ma at Toryuken 3. He was the guy that made me want to play SF4. I remember watching Arcade Infinity videos in the library when I was in high school and thinking
kttcoliooh
at his Ken combos. That was back in 2008, so finally getting a chance
GOT FUCKIN REKT, DROPPED DJ RIGHT AFTER THAT TOURNAMENT LOL
to play him was really cool.

Worst: I tried and failed to find the archive of a fat L that I took a while ago but I think the archive has been erased or something. Anyway what happened was that I was making a slow comeback against Italdan’s Oni and I hit an U2 with Deejay.. DJ isn’t necessarily positive after hitting his U2 with full animation. Basically I hit it and was in chip territory and had no way of not getting chipped against an Oni waking up
Z5jwGML.png
. I went into training mode after and I’m pretty sure regardless of which option I chose, I would have been hit by the exShoryu. Backdash? Hit by the 4th hit. Block? I die. Try to cross up? DP’d. Neutral jump? DP’d. Walk Back? DP’d, jump back? DP’d or fireball'd.. play a character that is at disadvantage after hitting one of the harder ultras to combo into brehs.

Another really bad loss was against Riceata. I won the first match against his Decapre, then he switched to Honda and won the second match. I decided to go with Deejay instead of Rose because I wasn't confident enough to hit one frame links on the monitor and that I don't have a solid answer for punishing headbutts with her. I've barely Deejay since Ultra dropped but the gameplan against Honda is pretty simple. Turtle my ass off. Anyway, it comes down to both of us having no health, I hit a Super~Ultra punish from him using a heavy headbutt against me, so I had the lead. He had a full bar of super and I was slowly walking myself into the corner.. I decided to use a mk. sobat kick to try catch him for walking forward..
Z5jwGML.png
he blocked, lp x Hands x Super gg. I was so close to actually beating a top Toronto player but nah I choked it up. Didn't eem use his Blanka. Ban Honda pls.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Just..good games. I just want some good games man. Not games that are gonna come out and die within the year
S/O’s to SfxT
. I want games with a high longevity like SF4.

Better online play and more cross play options as well. Glad that SFV is taking that route. Strong tutorials are a must. GGXrd has a really good tutorial/mission/trial modes that I think other FG companies can learn from.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
The captain of aint shit himself, ViewtifulJC
cdvOdwj.png

(if he’s not banned by the time this is posted). Dude talks the MOST trash and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t eem play fighting games. If not then I think y’all wanted Huw_Dawson to do it?
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
I bought a PS3 in 08’ for FF Verses XIII and have been patiently waiting ever since
kttcoliflabbynsick
. SFV and MKX probably. I don’t really buy a lot of new games since SF4 and League are my crack.

Well, that’s it y’all
z5bijxG.gif

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
SUMMER BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Skullgirls Encore
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Rise of Incarnates
TBD    Street Fighter V
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Capcom UK presents WinnerStaysOn Sessions [ 8PM GMT | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • Logan Sama, organiser of the old WSO weeklys in London, invites some of London's finest to Capcom UK HQ for first to 5 sets in USF4.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • A weekly show featuring Mago, Tokido, and Momochi. They go over the tournaments they will participate and have participated in overseas and in Japan, as well as the general news in SF. For long periods of the year, there is a student-teacher session involving one of the 3 Topanga members taking a player under their wing and teaching them how to play SF. The show features rank matches (sometimes random char. matches) and ends with a 8 man online tournament featuring players around 4.5kpp such as Poongko, Inco, and more.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • SuperDojo and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For future reference, let's avoid having smilies and perhaps images in general in spotlights
i0t36h98oQK1O.PNG

Blackule I'm having trouble making it through your interview

2manyfaces
no_one_cares_gif_by_kimminjung-d4av3hx.gif

For future reference, let's avoid having smilies and perhaps images in general in spotlights
i0t36h98oQK1O.PNG

no_one_cares_gif_by_kimminjung-d4av3hx.gif

I probably should've mentioned the Grand Opening/Grand Closing on my Marvel career after getting perfected in my first tournament Marvel match.

Damn good interview with Blackule. Makes me sad that I'm gonna take his money at evo.

W68Ii.png

latest
all over your grave after b

Amazing interview, terrible thread title.

That Blackule started as a Smash player blew my mind.

It seems many people wanted a Poongko related title but couldn't think of anything clever enough. I wanted a Poongko title as well but I couldn't think of anything either.

Oh well, hopefully this win for Poongko is a sign that he's back to his 2011 level when he finally bursted onto the tournament scene with his Seth. Before then a lot of people only thought of him as a online warrior/execution king.

Same here.

I was only a level 46 in the mlg playlist though
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

I couldn't get it to 50 like in team slayer
I got to level 49 and could never get that 50
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png
. I think what made me want to get into fighting games more is that it's a 1v1 situation.. don't gotta deal with teammates on my team feeding/going -10. If anything happens in SF it's on me.
your greatest fighting game moment shoulda been playing against me
we gotta play again soon. gotta give you this elena work son
Same here but I got to play against pros in the playlist consistently anyways so I didn't care much.

I 1v1'd Neighbor back in the day.

Got rekt on something fierce. Dude totally showed me that there were #LEVELS to this Halo 3 shit

I got to level 49 and could never get that 50
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png
. I think what made me want to get into fighting games more is that it's a 1v1 situation.. don't gotta deal with teammates on my team feeding/going -10. If anything happens in SF it's on me.

we gotta play again soon. gotta give you this elena work son

I 1v1'd Neighbor back in the day.

Got rekt on something fierce. Dude totally showed me that there were #LEVELS to this Halo 3 shit

I remember my boys made new accounts and it made it so easy to get a 50 in mlg
4xhNyar.png

I remember my boys made new accounts and it made it so easy to get a 50 in mlg
4xhNyar.png

Maaan, I've stuck with the same gamertag since grade 9 lol. I played way to many games on the same account so it was so difficult to level up after a while. Win 5 in a row? No level. Lose 2? back down to level 48 ya bish.
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

Maaan, I've stuck with the same gamertag since grade 9 lol. I played way to many games on the same account so it was so difficult to level up after a while. Win 5 in a row? No level. Lose 2? back down to level 48 ya bish.
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

In the team slayer playlist I had to win like 15 games in a row to go from 49 to 50. I carried the fuck out of my teammates.

I couldn't do the same in mlg playlist where I got bopped by pros.

In the team slayer playlist I had to win like 15 games in a row to go from 49 to 50. I carried the fuck out of my teammates.

It took me like 10 grueling wins straight to get my 46 in mlg and then one loss later I dropped, that's when I officially stopped giving a fuck about levels.

It took me like 10 grueling wins straight to get my 46 in mlg and then one loss later I dropped, that's when I officially stopped giving a fuck about levels.

When I realized the advantages you could get by being the host of the game was when I was on my way out. I 4-Shot this dude
BR GAME CRAZY
, and he just stands there on some "I EAT THOSE" type chit. I started to notice like half of my bullets aren't even registering.

Not to mention all the nerds who started host booting people from games. I remember waking up early on a Saturday to play up some good ole MLG. Start my first game of the day.. couldn't use my internet for 45 minutes smh.

I was playing the mlg playlist at my boys house once and he had Fios and holy shit what a difference. I felt like I was playing a different game, everything was registering and I barely had to lead my shots. I was like
H02Ma1J.gif

I was playing the mlg playlist at my boys house once and he had Fios and holy shit what a difference. I felt like I was playing a different game, everything was registering and I barely had to lead my shots. I was like
H02Ma1J.gif

I remember playing at my friends house who has shit internet but always got host. I felt like friggin Iron Man out there. Might as well spawned with overshield lol. Sniper bullets? I EAT THOSE.

@MarkMan23 24 Feb
TGNz0rC.png

Going to try and announce Mad Catz' participation for upcoming FGC events including our pro gamers' attendance in the coming week or so. :D

Yo Markman, we got to know breh

I thought it was just Mago teaching the girl how to play Yang

He's using him just because she wants it? lol

I was actually just joking about that. But come on, who else can we blame? This all started when he started teaching her how to play Yang, she's the source of this problem. Woman weaken legs.

Everytime he loses he gets called Mago C by jp stream monsters because he got bopped in Topanga's B League to the point that he got demoted from B. I know he reads the comments.

mago pls

They should actually have a Topanga C league though. Japan has so many hidden gems.

Looks like Kitasenju DJ is now confirmed for Final Round.

At 1:33:00 is his match vs Michael Tan from two days ago in the Team DeeJay vs Team Ken exhibition. After that, these two other dee jays get bopped and Kitasenju starts (1:57:00) to fight the 3 kens as he was the last one left on his team.
http://www.twitch.tv/fukuoka_gamers_club/b/630795846

At the rate he's going, by the time SFV comes out he'll be Mago P, and will be maining the other Makoto instead.

Too late bro. JP stream monsters called him Mago P after he was perfected in that mixupnight stream the other day.

BTW, for anyone that missed the MUN tournament, here's the Nemo vs Uryo match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70rCBRjunZk

alstein

Everytime he loses he gets called Mago C by jp stream monsters because he got bopped in Topanga's B League to the point that he got demoted from B. I know he reads the comments.

mago pls

At the rate he's going, by the time SFV comes out he'll be Mago P, and will be maining the other Makoto instead.

ILoveBish

Awesome interview. You sound like you are free tho. I'll confirm with vulva to see on a scale of 1 to 10 how free you are. 1 being ghandi on the scale. You sound like a 2.

Top Bottom