• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 30 - Apr 5 | BonCHAMP

shaowebb

Its that time again...

GV6NADB.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Its that time again...

GV6NADB.jpg
I wish Lau had a low throw because I think anti fuzzy moves are dope.

If I got to add 2 the second would be a 2 hit high->mid starting with 5P (such as Akira's PP or Jean's P4P) because I think anti fuzzy moves are dope.

NEO0MJ

I wish Zangief could have a Dhalsim-like teleport. He has a lot of trouble closing the gap and confusing enemies so that would give his game a huge boon.

FSLink

Banned
Tied for 17th place here for Smash 4 Wii U singles at Kawaii-kon Hawaii.

DKWill and Ninjalink ended up getting eliminated by our top player LT/Lethal Trilogy/LTails, and Larry Lurr ended up getting 1st.

I think it was about 80 or 90 entrants.

oneida

I'm changing my answer. Give lau a PK which isn't garbage. -9 for such a basic string when the rest of the cast is -4 is so bad.

Its that time again...

I would give Baraka from MK9 an overhead starter to his back+3,1 string. That way, after a successful reset or frame trap, he has a way to mix up a low or overhead into thirty percent damage on average.

Also, as an aside, I'd make the "command throws" in MK9 unblockable and hit mid, because that's how you make a command throw. MKX should hopefully change that.

oneida

I would give Baraka from MK9 an overhead starter to his back+3,1 string. That way, after a successful reset or frame trap, he has a way to mix up a low or overhead into thirty percent damage on average.

Also, as an aside, I'd make the "command throws" in MK9 unblockable and hit mid, because that's how you make a command throw. MKX should hopefully change that.
that's interesting about command throws being blockable in MK9. I've always thought of catch throws in VF as being analogous to command throws, in that they are unbreakable - stuff like Blaze's and Wolf's throws off their 6P+K+G run. But those are highs. There are low throws which "hit mid", like Blaze's low throw from that stance, but yeah. Throws are neat

alstein

I wish Zangief could have a Dhalsim-like teleport. He has a lot of trouble closing the gap and confusing enemies so that would give his game a huge boon.

Can Dhalsim get a SPD then?

I wish Gief's Bear Crusher was as effective as the running grabs in KOF98, but that might be too much in lag.

nah it's just being upgraded period.

I upgraded my rig last year for GalCiv3. Being able to keep playing fighting games due to things being on PC is a huge bonus. SF5 being crossplay gives me home. PC fighting games aren't that system-hogging, unless it's just terribly done like DOA5. Skullgirls and KOF run on toasters, and SF can run ok on a 5-yr old laptop.

Kimosabae

Banned
I can't comprehend why Capcom won't give Ryu his Joudan kicks back. It was such a fun and interesting move for him. It didn't do anything for his neutral or Loki, but it was so satisfying to do in combos. Just make the startup a bit faster in SFV so he can use it in neutral and Ryu is my main for sure.

Having an blast reading an old SRK thread about 2k2um. The '98 fanboyism is real :'D
2k2 is also apparently just another '98 and the people who care about 2k2 care about '98 more, lolwut.

Once good pics etc. came out and um started looking like a quality product:
" This is just fuckin awesome, almost as good as XII, if not better."

Exr

Its that time again...

GV6NADB.jpg
Id give Balrog a command throw. A non shitty, non ultra one. Like the one he has in Omega.
Also I just want to reiterate how great the Forever Yung at Heart title was. Good work whoever thought of that one.

Wasn't able to respond any earlier, but ggs.

I learned a lot about the honda matchup with that set. The calmer I play the more success I have. Trying to rush you down = bodied. It's good that I can punish every headbutt except for the light one. I've sorta come up with a solution for Honda's stop sign but it's not perfect. I was trying out all different types of specials and normals and almost all of them were getting stuffed lol so I just started sliding you to take advantage of the trip guard.

I was trying to st.LK against Honda's st.HK...not sure if that's a trade I want tbh.

Still not sure which Ultra I want to use in this matchup. Healing is good, but you can just headbutt fullscreen and take a chunk of damage then have me knocked down.

U1 is good because it can punish headbutts and isn't too difficult to combo into.

you gotta block them overheads tho breh, you also gotta block them lynx tails too :p

good set tho, we should get some games in again

word, we shall def run some more games. i need dat overhead reaction training lmao.

that's interesting about command throws being blockable in MK9. I've always thought of catch throws in VF as being analogous to command throws, in that they are unbreakable - stuff like Blaze's and Wolf's throws off their 6P+K+G run. But those are highs. There are low throws which "hit mid", like Blaze's low throw from that stance, but yeah. Throws are neat

To be fair, MK9 does have some unblockable command grabs. Jax and Kano's x-ray attacks are unblockable. Sheeva has an unblockable command grab on ducking characters, but I found the move too unreliable. Cyrax is probably the closest thing the game has to a grappler. He has an attack string which begins in an unblockable mid hitting throw, and ends with the opponent in a stagger state; which forces a mix-up. The downside to Cyrax's command throw is that it can be teched.

With all that said, there aren't really any traditional command throws in MK9. Injustice changed that with many characters having unblockable command throws that you could combo into! So, MKX should hopefully follow suit on that.

That's actually something I really like about MKX. It's really looking like Netherrealm is learning the lessons from MK9 and Injustice and making what looks like a really, really solid fighting game.

Fraeon

I would give SF4 Cody a command grab to make his close range game even scarier. Something like KOF13 Clark's B SAB.

Azure J

Its that time again...

GV6NADB.jpg

Give Ike his motherfucking sword wave attack from the Radiant Saga in Fire Emblem. I understand why it wasn't done, but it still doesn't mean I'm happy with it, especially when Ike is still such a struggle character in the face of a few other veterans' changes between Brawl and 4. It could also work to further establish his character as a heavy swordsman by having a charge animation similar to focus attacks where the longer the charge, the more instantaneous and heavy hitting the blow or just have it be a slow ground patrolling attack. Also change Eruption to be his down smash.

Alternatively, give Dante Zodiac as both a new special move and an assist. Let him get in on that full screen horizontal beam/blast zoning too!

Or even better, give Elphelt a fast pitch for her grenades a la Snake in Brawl.
ibrbVmYIJ5vTVQ.jpeg

TWILT

Banned
Its that time again...

GV6NADB.jpg

Give Ike his shockwave blast from the FE games please. One of his customs -kinda- gives him this, but it's so bootleg lol. I want a proper one. FAKE EDIT: Basically, what Azure said lol

Other than that, I dunno. Maybe give Dante one of his DMC4 weapons? Lucifer could be fun. :p

Frantic

Alternatively, give Dante Zodiac as both a new special move and an assist. Let him get in on that full screen horizontal beam/blast zoning too!
And make it 8 durability points ala Mystic Sword. no kappa

That, or give him Jet Stream that goes full screen and has incrimental durability(like Whirlwind or Gamma Wave), or Distortion that acts like a beam that can be charged up to higher levels of durability like Air Play can, or give him a Spiral shot that wall bounces like Chris' Magnum, or...

just give him everything because why not

Top Bottom