• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 30 - Apr 5 | BonCHAMP

USFIV now has a higher average amount of viewers than Marvel ever had with all its idiocy and drama.

Half of this post is either hugely exaggerated or outright false.

i was giving possible reasons for enzo's feelings of less advertising or subdued interest in FGC events.

i welcome opposing views and can change my mind.

she needs to send those boots back for a refund

alstein

I don't have a good answer for you really. People getting jobs? I hope you're high up on the food chain? More money? I hope you can win it. More exclusive events? I hope you're the best or like spectating more than playing. The thing I don't like about esports and stuff is those players who get out of pools but don't quite get top 8/16 are kind of getting phased out unless they find a non-playing way to engage. Stuff for top players is getting better, stuff for spectators getting better, but Idk what people in the middle are gonna be excited for :|

I know I'm on a tangent but those are the dudes who are going to go to a tournament and bring people, help out, they create a lot of the tutorial content, etc. and I kinda notice lately that group of players is getting less and less exposure mainline exposure or incentive.

I've been pointing this out for a while now myself. I'm just not sure how to fix this- outside of changing how pot bonuses work, and that would only work for non-CPT events.

There's also the SF4 is long in the tooth factor- and older games tend to emphasize rote more than reads as the game evolves, SF4 being no exception.

The gap between top players and "midcarders" will shrink some once SF5 comes out.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
No, you mean real money. Just ask Art. Shoutouts to Cybit. =O

Are we allowed to talk about the fact that we have a NeoGAF | NWM | Arturo coming to Northwest Majors? :D

I don't believe in fake money sponsorships. Only real money sponsorships. Ask Gilty how that works. :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I thought you played on Live, lol

I probably won't play a ton due to school (Because I lack energy and drive) but if you wanna play I'll do my best

Warning that I'm absolute trash though

Add me. Kadeybaybe. You aren't as bad as me. I've been playing Destiny for the last 6 months.

Shouta

Are we allowed to talk about the fact that we have a NeoGAF | NWM | Arturo coming to Northwest Majors? :D

I don't believe in fake money sponsorships. Only real money sponsorships. Ask Gilty how that works. :)

We got a furby really, lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
upload_convert.gif

Rainy

Banned
Velociraptor just pulled off a hype ultra to win that set against Nuckledu, that commentator though lmao

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
But it still scrolls you to the top of the list every time you back out to the games list *facepalm*

Its frustrating lol

GG Viper

I won 2 matches against Vulva

I'm ready to win Evo nerds

That's more than what I've won against Vulva, granted the matchup is annoying as hell for me cause Chun-li's pokes are too good against me. I need to learn how to bully Vulva more with whiff punishes.

Unlucky

Next Topanga World League info:
April 9-12, 2015
Invited players: Daigo, Momochi, Sako, Bonchan, Poongko, Xian, Xiao Hai, Smug, Luffy
More info here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't have a good answer for you really. People getting jobs? I hope you're high up on the food chain? More money? I hope you can win it. More exclusive events? I hope you're the best or like spectating more than playing. The thing I don't like about esports and stuff is those players who get out of pools but don't quite get top 8/16 are kind of getting phased out unless they find a non-playing way to engage. Stuff for top players is getting better, stuff for spectators getting better, but Idk what people in the middle are gonna be excited for :|

I know I'm on a tangent but those are the dudes who are going to go to a tournament and bring people, help out, they create a lot of the tutorial content, etc. and I kinda notice lately that group of players is getting less and less exposure mainline exposure or incentive.
I think it's definitely something to be addressed, and that's part of the reason why many eSports leagues have different online bracketing systems; you get top down look at where you're at and also what you have personally achieved. That sort of balances out the invitationals and cheques that get thrown at people that are good and have been good for a while. That is, of course, much more difficult to implement IRL. Capcom sort of tried it in the past year.. where you could submit any tournament for potential ranking points, but it's really hard to do properly and prevent abuse of the system. Underdog/rookie invitationals would be cool, people love to watch small guys get a taste of blood and follow them through their careers.

I'm not sure if that group has had mainstream exposure (like, ever? Maybe LI Joe?), but I'm not necessarily sure if (no offense, just using this in a relative way) C and D tier players and content creators necessarily need or deserve mainstream shine specifically, it's kind of enthusiast-specific entertainment. In the information age, the cream of the crop will always get the most attention and those below will only get noticed by enthusiasts, and that's a super risky game to play no matter what.

Depends on how deep coverage goes, but I think you really have to watch a shit ton of streams/content per week to even hear about a lot of those guys. I love Megaman Steve. Not only is he an informative commentator, but he's a great player and technician and I think he's been a notable Marvel personality and a piece of the NYC Marvel 3 atmosphere and jigsaw puzzle. But if Marvel was to start getting eSports coverage tomorrow, would they profile him? Should they? I may also be rambling here.

light work compared to what they got at Pearson breh

April 9-12, 2015
Invited players: Daigo, Momochi, Sako, Bonchan, Poongko, Xian, Xiao Hai, Smug, Luffy
More info here.

Daigo bringing out the pocket Yun

Momochi with Evil Ryu?!

Smuggles?!

Damn what a come up. Play tons of XBL, become a fan favourite, now a year later you're getting flown out to Japan and shit. damn

April 9-12, 2015
More info here.

Beat me to it

Yep. Looks like I was right. Topanga World League omg!!!!

Prize money: $16706 for 1st, $4176 for 2nd, $2088 for 3rd

edit: Momochi actually had E.Ryu registered as a sub for the last Topanga League, but opted to not use him.

Anne

I think it's definitely something to be addressed, and that's part of the reason why many eSports leagues have different online bracketing systems; you get top down look at where you're at and also what you have personally achieved. That sort of balances out the invitationals and cheques that get thrown at people that are good and have been good for a while. That is, of course, much more difficult to implement IRL. Capcom sort of tried it in the past year.. where you could submit any tournament for potential ranking points, but it's really hard to do properly and prevent abuse of the system. Underdog/rookie invitationals would be cool, people love to watch small guys get a taste of blood and follow them through their careers.

I'm not sure if that group has had mainstream exposure (like, ever? Maybe LI Joe?), but I'm not necessarily sure if (no offense, just using this in a relative way) C and D tier players and content creators necessarily need or deserve mainstream shine specifically, it's kind of enthusiast-specific entertainment. In the information age, the cream of the crop will always get the most attention and those below will only get noticed by enthusiasts, and that's a super risky game to play no matter what.

Depends on how deep coverage goes, but I think you really have to watch a shit ton of streams/content per week to even hear about a lot of those guys. I love Megaman Steve. Not only is he an informative commentator, but he's a great player and technician and I think he's been a notable Marvel personality and a piece of the NYC Marvel 3 atmosphere and jigsaw puzzle. But if Marvel was to start getting eSports coverage tomorrow, would they profile him? Should they? I may also be rambling here.

light work compared to what they got at Pearson breh

Those players have a lot to do right now as long as open brackets and community help drives events and the enthusiast sites coverage. Like, at least they get time and something. I'm worried open brackets or at least open bracket coverage will start to get there less and less in favor of invitationals and big money, and more "corporate" type entities are gonna push out middle man streams and stuff. My big scare is those guys being pushed out in favor of the spectator. I think it's deeply ironic that "anti-esports" types are pushing for more spectator catered experiences and sponsoring big name players, when those are esport things that are bad for a majority of players who compete in open brackets. Coming from smaller communities with little dev support while Capcom crawls deeper into tournaments makes this pretty off putting, especially after what happened to 645 at FR. I don't want that to be a norm for us.

Again I'm rambling probably about nothing, but supporting those guys and sites (I'm biased working for one obviously) is something I hold pretty dear to me, it let's anybody make something visible out here if they have stuff to put out there. I kinda already feel some crunch lately from it in the SF4 arena. It's something that's gonna happen to some extent, but being aware of it and making sure good community members get to keep doing what they do and getting something out of it is important to me at least.

Edit: I still have no concrete idea behind this. no answers or anything, I just worry. I will admit it troubles me as a mid-range TO, player, and just community person in general. I would like my hard work to have longevity and continue to let me do cooler things. To Capcom's credit, they are def trying and grabbing people from the community, I just want to know where thigns go from here and how it affects everybody as a whole.

alstein

As long as Evo and most CPT events remain open entry, I think we'll be fine in terms of mid-tier players trying to enter.

I mean, look at the US Opens for Golf and Tennis. They're called Opens because anyone with a racket or club can try to qualify.

Same thing, I have a stick, I can go to Evo and enter SF4, and try to beat whatever top player I get matched up against if I am lucky enough to draw one. As long as I'm delusional enough to think on my best day I can get lucky against a Daigo-level player, I'd enter. (well, if I wanted to go to Evo- don't really want to this year but will next year- gotta do it sometime)

I know the most likely scenario is I will either drop so many combos Andre calls me a choker to some no-name, but you never know.

Can't wait to try and watch Topanga World League....just one week after it was announced lol. WTF is up with the lack of notice? How about at least one month or something like that. But they announce it just a week before it actually happens. I'm sure the players were given enough of a heads up so they can do what they need to do to get the time off. But at least let people know further ahead of time so they can build up more excitement for it and maybe take a day off if they have to. I work Sunday mornings so I would miss the final day if I ordered it(if I ever figure out how to do that).

As for Daigo, it's good he has a sub character but I don't see any opponent that he would actually use Yun against. All his match ups are even or in Evil Ryu's favor. The exceptions being Sim and Rose. But he's done amazingly well against Rose so that leaves Sim as the only character where I could see him using Yun but he would try to win with Evil Ryu at first.

Xian with Dhalsim is a strange decision. It looks like he chose him solely because of Daigo. I'm surprised he didn't go with Poison or even Elena instead to cover more match ups. I expect Smug to bring some excitement but he lacks the experience to be a real threat IMO. But I'm glad to see him get a invite anyways.

I think Daigo prefers Yun in the el fuerte match too. In Poongko's stream he went to Yun after Poongko picked el Fuerte.

I'm glad they didn't pick Snake over Smug. Smug hasn't been to an invitational while Snake has been to masters series, sxsw, and redbull.

Top Bottom