• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Can't believe they let Jeffry win a tourney. That's like letting Dee Jay win a major.

It's because they are both black right? /s

But really he's not that bad right? He still does good damage and has a throw game, even if other characters like Shun beats characters shit faced.

sikvod00

Banned
took advantage of the capcom promo sale on steam and bought a couple of the RE games. it's my first time playing the series. wasted several hours trying to desperately find a spare ink ribbon because i apparently used them all up in the mansion area. keeping the game running while alt tabbed is not really an option, so just quit in frustration. probably won't be playing that one for a few days. so damn fucking pissed right now. other than the inconvenient save system, i'm enjoying the game. hopefully RE4 lives up to all the hype i hear about it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Auto-passing since I need to finish up some class stuff lol. I'll leave the lobby open.

I guess it's a blessing that blocking Seth online is as hard as using him on netplay, haha.

Champ's top 5 SF4 players all time in no order
Daigo
Momochi
Xian
Infiltration
Sako

top 6-10 in no order
Justin
Fuudo
Bonchan
Gamerbee
Tokido

Justin shouldn't be on that top 10

Dai101

Banned
https://twitter.com/fchampryan/status/600030978636062721

Ryan Ramirez
‏@fchampryan
@choboruin marvel lasted for 5 years with 1 update i think its time to let it go and play MKX / SF5

YSkNTAx.gif

Astarte

Virtua Fighter is easy to lab up. Nothing is really that hard to do in the game, if you are trying to do Akira knee combos that has that weird 1 frame input, then whatever that's like learning a 1 frame link but a lot of other characters don't rely on that. People always talk about mindgames and what not, but it's like other games, you aren't gonna know what you need to do, until you actually see what happens, so even if you don't know, just go in there and throw some dice with other players, and you'll start learning. This actually is a valid tactic to learning games, it was also a Sirlin article years ago. He asked a pro poker player, who also plays other competitive games and TCGs, how he learned the game, he said he just starts playing hands, and as time goes on, he would see what hands worked and what doesn't, and that makes him develop an intrinsic knowledge on the risk and reward. If you know the risk and rewards, it would help you play mindgames because you can prey on the other player's expectations and habits.

Back when I was in Upstate New York my local had a VF gathering when FS got released for PS3 and 360. A decent amount of us picked up the game around that time and started learning some stuff. Even though I labbed up and played some matches online, I wouldn't call what I was doing smart at the local but at least I beat 2 people in the bracket by throwing out Sabaki's with Aoi. Got beat bad though by 2 people who knew how to sidestep the kick though. I think most people had a decent time just playing it at the moment, even though they all eventually went back to their regular games (I know GAF has been on a high horse of late, but there is nothing wrong to going back to game you like, even if it's SF4). Since there wasn't really any barriers to playing VF, you can learn a bnb easy, and all the mechanics are right there for you in game, you can just play. All that talk about OS and learning about yomi this and that when you are just picking up the game, while also saying that it's the hardest thing in fighting game existence does the game a huge disservice imo. Imagine trying to learn Street Fighter and someone just telling you how to time your vortex, safejump setups, throwtech/reversal/backdash OS, and the billions of different situations you need to learn, that shit should come later.

I know people wonder why the hell they would listen to me even though my story just sounded like my VF skills are still scrub level (because they are), because there are so many games that the barrier of entry is just parking your ass in a seat and playing. When I got a to a local, sometimes I see someone just practicing in training mode or waiting for someone to come around. I just sit down and start playing even though I might not have played the game before. That's how I first played GGX2AC, I saw someone practicing Venom setups and no one else was playing. So I gave it a try and got bopped. Arcana Heart 3 was the same way funny enough. I picked Magnet Akane because I assumed if someone has a scarf 1. They probably are a ninja/superhero 2. They are rushdown and 3. Magnetism is an awesome super power. Funny thing is both these games have a reputation that you need to learn a lot of nuances just to play, but if I just started of square one and go, "it's anime, I can run my fingers along some buttons and it's probably a combo", eventually the other guy I was playing casuals with will tell the nuances of the game as I go along.

Welp, I can't not give VF a shot after that. Alright, I'll put in some work :X

Morris

Disco Devil
GGs everyone in the uniel lobby. Man, I keep pressing buttons in the corner, gets me exposed everytime.

Also if anyone's down to play some Xrd hit me up.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, UNIEL lobby. Need to level up Chaos a bit more. Dropped most of everything online with him :(
Also need to work on Eltnum again. Autopiloting the wrong strings and specials.

Edit: Give Chaos an anti air please, it doesn't even need to be a DP. Dash B is an awful consistent anti air lol

Kumubou

Ggs. Exposed me hard ( ._.)

To training mode with me.
It's OK, we're all fraudulent as anything in this game.

Man, I'm still cringing at that one Eltnum mirror I lost due to getting hit by a 180-frame overhead.

GGs everyone in the uniel lobby. Man, I keep pressing buttons in the corner, gets me exposed everytime.
Yeah, pushing buttons when you're stuck in the corner constantly is a quick way to get bodied. Just be glad no one was playing someone like Carmine or Vatistia, where you can get stuck blocking for long-ass stretches of time.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's OK, we're all fraudulent as anything in this game.

Man, I'm still cringing at that one Eltnum mirror I lost due to getting hit by a 180-frame overhead.

To be fair, one of them lagged right when I input 6B which sucked for you. And I mean, I see Japanese players dying to fully charged 6B by Senaru. Sort of dumb that the overhead looks similar to 421A/B.

Edit: I have a Vatista sorta. But I'm not bringing her out online. It'll just turn into a zoning one.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
FGW | I wish the TO's would give Marvel the respect it deserves

Everyone loves the game, its just getting old now lol. I've picked up Melee and SF4 again in anticipation for the PS4 release to then play SFV. Melee is melee. GG Xrd will be the next game I play to learn heavily. If MvC4 gets announced, I would be stoked.
Still have that list of victims who will change their avatar's to mine lol

I'm hoping to play it at e3 this year. Some sources tell me it'll be playable there

Vulva?! How are you getting into E3?! I mean I probably won't get the chance to go until a year or two but man!

FGW | I wish the TO's would give Marvel the respect it deserves

Everyone loves the game, its just getting old now lol. I've picked up Melee and SF4 again in anticipation for the PS4 release to then play SFV. Melee is melee. GG Xrd will be the next game I play to learn heavily. If MvC4 gets announced, I would be stoked.
Still have that list of victims who will change their avatar's to mine lol

Vulva?! How are you getting into E3?! I mean I probably won't get the chance to go until a year or two but man!

Yams it's not gonna happen. It's Disney man. Disney!
E3 sucks unless you are press. Wife had to work as a not booth babe and people just wanted swag bags and lines are long unless you have appointments. At least the parties are fun.

zlatko

Banned
Fuming with rage that people want to put expiration dates on title. FChamp just moving onto the next cash cow.

*shrug* It's not the level of say Super Smash Bros. Melee. The scene isn't there to keep the game alive sadly.

Mahvel has been dead for a while. It is what it is.

The game is only really "dead" when it's not an event at tournaments. I find it funny people are calling marvel a dead game. It has less entrants but it's still more entrants than most other games featured at a tournament and gets more viewers too. Even if it becomes as niche as it can get, I bet there would be people willing to play it still, just like how there is still a scene for a bunch of anime games and VF.

The game is only really "dead" when it's not an event at tournaments. I find it funny people are calling marvel a dead game. It has less entrants but it's still more entrants than most other games featured at a tournament and gets more viewers too. Even if it becomes as niche as it can get, I bet there would be people willing to play it still, just like how there is still a scene for a bunch of anime games and VF.

"dead" just means "not SF4" and Sakurai is a necromancer

Seyavesh

"dead" just means "not SF4" and Sakurai is a necromancer
just like sakurai himself, the games are actually eternal vampires that drain the life force of unsuspecting victims to sustain their life

of course this is better than being a pig sty or a rotting corpse in a garbage dump like every other game

Top Bottom