• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: CEOTAKU BRK BEATDOWN ABUGET CUP TRETA RITT VSL TOPANGA

Dahbomb

I thought the ESL tournament ran pretty well today with pretty solid production values.

Though I don't really agree with only GFs for one day. Maybe top 4. I am fine with experimentation of new formats but they must have something insane planned for tomorrow. I want like big player profiles/stories, special videos edited with their best plays and interviews leading up to the grand final.

pixelish

abuget cup (cpt indonesia ranking event) top 16 starting soon
https://www.twitch.tv/beastapac

winners side (country demographic: 4 japanese, 3 malaysians, 1 indonesian)
chuan (guile) vs bonchan (nash)
kofmaster (fang) vs yukadon (nash)
shamwow vs go1 (chun)
shaunw (juri) vs eita (ken)

losers side (country demographic: 6 indonesians, 1 thai, 1 malaysian)
arreyvan (bison) vs cahyanto
endy (fang) vs dian pakyon (guile)
mindrpg (bison) vs aronmanurung (nash)
kontoru (sim) vs susubabi (mika)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, watched top 16 archive today to see some great Karin action with the best two players still in. That did not work out.

crash-14

IActually, I saw it break 20k briefly on my end. Twitch numbers are pretty imprecise, depending on what site you're using.

EGX just last week got around 34k

TGS got around 36k...and that was around 3 AM in the US.

Keep in mind, ESL isn't an established fighting game tournament. It's a CS:GO tournament with SF5 on the side. Also, peak stream numbers usually hit on Sunday evening in the U.S., not Saturday night.

People should stop this, man....

Viewership numbers for SFV aren't what people expected before the launch of the game, specially if we keep on mind where USFIV left it.

There was hype for the game the first 2 months. I recall Winter Brawl doing almost 70k and now it's hard to see bigger majors doing 25K.

Let's all accept that SFV has killed the momentum gained with SFIV in terms of making this a successful eSport to watch.

Capcom it's the only one to blame due the backlash the game received at launch. And also SFV not being as appealing to watch as SFIV (Maybe it's the lack of character variety compared to the huge cast SFIV had idk).

What I'm try to say it's that we shouldn't try so hard to justify the viewership every time someone kinda says it's poorly. I doesn't help.

I really hope Capcom it's able to revert it with some twists for season 2 like they did with SSFIV. It's sad to see how things are going after the end of SFIV.

I'm going to predict something. If SF V doesn't find something to gain viewership back, I'm 100% sure Smash Melee will top it at EVO, and maybe there won't be ESPN to cover it up this time...

BlizzKrut

Banned

Viewership numbers for SFV aren't what people expected before the launch of the game, specially if we keep on mind where USFIV left it.

There was hype for the game the first 2 months. I recall Winter Brawl doing almost 70k and now it's hard to see bigger majors doing 25K.

Let's all accept that SFV has killed the momentum gained with SFIV in terms of making this a successful eSport to watch.

Capcom it's the only one to blame due the backlash the game received at launch. And also SFV not being as appealing to watch as SFIV (Maybe it's the lack of character variety compared to the huge cast SFIV had idk).

What I'm try to say it's that we shouldn't try so hard to justify the viewership every time someone kinda says it's poorly. I doesn't help.

I really hope Capcom it's able to revert it with some twists for season 2 like they did with SSFIV. It's sad to see how things are going after the end of SFIV.

I'm going to predict something. If SF V doesn't find something to gain viewership back, I'm 100% sure Smash Melee will top it at EVO, and maybe there won't be ESPN to cover it up this time...

Viewership numbers have actually been quite good, it's just annoying seeing people trying to make others believe the numbers are bad over and over again, check out EVO or CEO's numbers, they were absolutely insane.

crash-14

Viewership numbers have actually been quite good, it's just annoying seeing people trying to make others believe the numbers are bad over and over again, check out EVO or CEO's numbers, they were absolutely insane.

How it's EVO and even CEO a measure? Probably (And this probably goes for CEO) the 2 most mainstream tournaments the FGC have? By that standart, every game hosted in those tournaments it's doing great in viewership terms... What you're implying with that statement it's like saying "Athletics viewership numbres are good, just check the Olympics".

You can consider the actual numbers are good. It's your opinion. I personally can't say they're good when they're performing worst than tournaments hosted before EVO. If there wasn't a growth but more or less the viewership was equal, I could jump on that. But there's been a massive lost and it's between tournaments that are more important and well known that the others.

Only fact here, no one can't deny the lost of viewership. It's up to you if you rather think SFV was doing extremely good and now just good instead of doing good and now ok.

I could get that if this was some sort of MK situation where the game had huge viewership while the game was new and fade away after. But SF viewership was growing every year and it reached a point were locals were doing numbers that some of the actual ranking events wish they had... Don't want to be repetitive, but the viewers where there at the start, same they were by the end of SFIV...

I'm actually worried about how SFV would do at PSX. But it might be ok if there's any hint we'll see Season 2 content.

Tripon

How it's EVO and even CEO a measure? Probably (And this probably goes for CEO) the 2 most mainstream tournaments the FGC have? By that standart, every game hosted in those tournaments it's doing great in viewership terms...

You can consider the actual numbers are good. It's your opinion. I personally can't say they're good when they're performing worst than tournaments hosted before EVO. If there wasn't a growth but more or less the viewership was equal, I could jump on that. But there's been a massive lost and it's between tournaments that are more important and well known that the others.

Only fact here, no one can't deny the lost of viewership. It's up to you if you rather think SFV was doing extremely good and now just good instead of doing good and now ok.

I could get that if this was some sort of MK situation where the game had huge viewership while the game was new and fade away after. But SF viewership was growing every year and it reached a point were locals were doing numbers that some of the actual ranking events wish they had... Don't want to be repetitive, but the viewers where there at the start, same they were by the end of SFIV...

I'm actually worried about how SFV would do at PSX. But it might be ok if there's any hint we'll see Season 2 content.
You are arguing with emotions without any numbers.

Sou Da

I thought the ESL tournament ran pretty well today with pretty solid production values.

Though I don't really agree with only GFs for one day. Maybe top 4. I am fine with experimentation of new formats but they must have something insane planned for tomorrow. I want like big player profiles/stories, special videos edited with their best plays and interviews leading up to the grand final.

The face cam is stupid and distracting.

jm89

Bonchan looks so uncomfortable with nash, it's like his forcing it to become good with him but it's just not working.

Tripon

Uh, they couldn't get a Japanese translator for this interview with Eita? It's just a stream of engrish.

Oh here's the translator.

Winterbrawl didn't get 70k. It got like 42-45k.

What "people" are you talking about? The people that matter, a.k.a. Capcom themselves have said they're quite pleased with the growth in viewership and participation compared to USF4 last year.

You can consider the actual numbers are good. It's your opinion. I personally can't say they're good when they're performing worst than tournaments hosted before EVO.

This happens EVERY YEAR.

Post EVO tourneys ALWAYS get less viewership than pre-EVO tourneys in general. Last years' SCR and Canada Cup, for example, didn't get anywhere near as many views as CEO or Final Round.
Has nothing to do with SF5.

This is what happens when you argue with no actual numbers or analysis of previous year's trends.
SF5 is doing well in terms of viewership. Sorry to disappoint you.

Okay, so clearly you didn't even read my original post. Nevermind, then.

Well it's not just viewers. Brooklyn Beatdown had a player cap of ~1000 iirc. They had about 200. That's down from the enthusiasm earlier in the year.

Well it's not just viewers. Brooklyn Beatdown had a player cap of ~1000 iirc. They had about 200. That's down from the enthusiasm earlier in the year.

Stop making stuff up:
https://twitter.com/ESLSF/status/777964303316029440

You really think a tourney with $30,000 on the line for first place alone would only get 256 entries if the cap was 1000?

Lol.

Charity Cup in Japan got 1000 entrants, and that was for charity.

Tripon

ESL announced the tournament with a 1024 and didn't announced until a week or so before the tournament started that the cap was now 256.

Redbull Battlegrounds in Seattle, Wash which is the North American CPT finals also announced that at first was a 1024 cap and then changed to 512.

The issue is that each event came in with grand ambitions backed by massive corporations that understand eSports, however there was little to no promotion either in traditional FGC events or the public at large.

Both Brooklyn Beat down and Redbull Battlegrounds are brand new events and if they come back next year, more people should attend since both ESL and Redbull are interested in making this work.

But a 1024 tournament was way too big for a first time tournament with little promotion.

NEO0MJ

Holy crap that was intense. Nice comeback by Shine after that double perfect. I'd have been totally crushed after that.

So Nakomuru is considered straight up busted right? I haven't played KOF I4 yet but from tournaments I've seen there's a Nakomuru on almost every single team. Even watching her in game without having played it her shit looks just way safe, her transition to grabbing the bird and diving out of it are fast and don't seem very punishable. She also has really dumb damage on short combos with little meter usage.

Xevren

So Nakomuru is considered straight up busted right? I haven't played KOF I4 yet but from tournaments I've seen there's a Nakomuru on almost every single team. Even watching her in game without having played it her shit looks just way safe, her transition to grabbing the bird and diving out of it are fast and don't seem very punishable. She also has really dumb damage on short combos with little meter usage.

She's really up there. She's invincible on the way up to the bird, and her down kick from the bird is + on block.

BadWolf

It's pretty much accepted at this point that she has no real weaknesses.

A balance patch is coming this month though and she is confirmed to be getting adjustments.

She's really up there. She's invincible on the way up to the bird, and her down kick from the bird is + on block.

Jesus Christ she can grab the bird up there for free?

It's pretty much accepted at this point that she has no real weaknesses.

A balance patch is coming this month though and she is confirmed to be getting adjustments.

That's good to hear, I'll admit watching tournies has been boring because she's in every match. Any news on grappler buffs? Have not seen any grapplers being played and I usually find them the most interesting.

Hyun Sai

Not that much in fact.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/55k87n/ceotaku_top_8_character_composition/

Well, to be fair I believe if we don't see much more Nakoruru at the moment it's because everybody knows she's getting the axe. Otherwise Kyamei showed how insane she can be when optimized (same with his Love).

EDIT : I think I found the guilty tournament lol : https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/55j4kj/treta_2016_top_8_character_composition/

Top Bottom