• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Japan Cup, Summer Jam, Super Smash Con, VS & More

I don't see Acqua or Kichipa winning this tournament, but imagine if they did. Last year that would have guaranteed them a spot in Capcom Cup. This year it probably means absolutely nothing unless they start traveling. Acqua has 1 point and Kichipa has 0, they'd get 400 for winning Japan Cup. 400 is a shit ton of points, but no where near enough to get in Capcom Cup. The cutoff for that will probably be in the 600 range.

If that wasn't bad enough, they don't even get a spot in the Asia CPT Finals since that's only reserved for people who win ranking events.

I don't see Acqua or Kichipa winning this tournament, but imagine if they did. Last year that would have guaranteed them a spot in Capcom Cup. This year it probably means absolutely nothing unless they start traveling. Acqua has 1 point and Kichipa has 0, they'd get 400 for winning Japan Cup. 400 is a shit ton of points, but no where near enough to get in Capcom Cup. The cutoff for that will probably be in the 600 range.

If that wasn't bad enough, they don't even get a spot in the Asia CPT Finals since that's only reserved for people who win ranking events.

Wow, the struggle is real.

Still would be something though.

Kid's Gief is pretty damn good.

Costanza wallet lol

rocK`

Banned

You're thinking too narrowly. Winning for them means likely sponsorship, means they have better chances at Capcom cup '18. Hell even placing this far means that.

You're thinking too narrowly. Winning for them means likely sponsorship, means they have better chances at Capcom cup '18. Hell even placing this far means that.

Yeah it could definitely help them land a sponsor but my focus was just to compare what it meant to win a Premier event from previous years compared to this year. Last year you could have literally won one tournament and then not do a single thing the rest of the year. This year winning a Premier event probably only gets you 2/3's of the points you would need to get in Capcom Cup.

I was wrong about Kichipa though, I never heard of him and just assumed he had never traveled before. But it shows that he actually went to EVO and finished 193rd place, enough for 1 point lol. But he's got options if he wins this and really wants to get in Capcom Cup since there are 3 more live ranking events and a online one that he can easily enter.

EDIT: Man I'm loving these Kichipa matches. Dude is very patient but has some crazy reads just like Itabashi.

I'm pretty sure he was fanning the controller pad, maybe to reduce sweat/dry it off. It might have even been to dry his hands off (sweat, possibly).

Pretty insane tournament so far, though. Great stuff.

the commentators saying his pad was overheating because of the aftermarket mods made me lol

It's really starting to get boring seeing JDCR vs Saint in every single damn grand finals for Tekken. On pure merit, I can't deny both these guys deserve to be in every GFs because they're clearly above and beyond anybody else in this game. But man it's getting downright boring watching these Tekken tourneys only to not only see the same two players play each other in every GF, but the same two damn characters, Dragunov and Jack, every time. As a spectator, it's getting boring and really drags down any tourney that these two participate in.

Kashiwaba

It's really starting to get boring seeing JDCR vs Saint in every single damn grand finals for Tekken. On pure merit, I can't deny both these guys deserve to be in every GFs because they're clearly above and beyond anybody else in this game. But man it's getting downright boring watching these Tekken tourneys only to not only see the same two players play each other in every GF, but the same two damn characters, Dragunov and Jack, every time. As a spectator, it's getting boring and really drags down any tourney that these two participate in.

There same reason i stopped watching T7 tournaments, the main reason i find SFV tournaments interesting is the players personalities and the lack of dominating players in general. I mean even someone like Punk is not undisputed.

Smash suffers from this too, which I why I was glad Zero lost evo...

Ninjimbo

There same reason i stopped watching T7 tournaments, the main reason i find SFV tournaments interesting is the players personalities and the lack of dominating players in general. I mean even someone like Punk is not undisputed.
Tekken 7 is kinda lame right now with the upsets. At least with SFV you have a good pool of players competing at the same level. You probably have ten players you can name that are all god tier.

It's really starting to get boring seeing JDCR vs Saint in every single damn grand finals for Tekken.

i said that a long time ago and hated the evo grand finals for it. tekken is where sf4 was early on where you'd see eg win so many tournaments because no one would travel outside of a few majors.

i forgot to say revmajor and that recent korean tournament were amazing to watch because you had so many great players.

Dereck

8PUTd4w.gif

AAK

It's really starting to get boring seeing JDCR vs Saint in every single damn grand finals for Tekken.

They're the only 2 internationals that are travelling, and they're coming to areas that have a 2 year playtime disadvantage. If other Japanese/Koreans (people who had the game since day 1) could travel then you'd most assuredly see more diversity.

sinkfla87

That's why SFV is the best to watch right now. Tekken 7 I am beginning get bored watching already.

I love the shit out of some tekken but I can't even bother watching grand finals in tekken tournaments anymore because of that :(. It reminds me of MKX, huge fan of that as well but it was SonicFox every fucking time lol.

Top Bottom