• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FilmoGAFhy - Tim Burton

Which of the following is Tim Burtons best movie as Director?

• Pee-wee's Big Adventure

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Beetlejuice

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Batman

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Edward Scissorhands

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Batman Returns

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Ed Wood

• Mars Attacks!

• Sleepy Hollow

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Planet of the Apes

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Big Fish

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corpse Bride

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

• Alice in Wonderland

• Dark Shadows

• Frankenweenie

• Big Eyes

• Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

• Dumbo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdforge

Banned
A celebration of some of the most prolific movie directors of our time. If this goes well and generates good discussion I’m happy to do a few more.

Each must have a minimum of 6 movies released as Director.

Movies are to have been released between 1970 to present day.

First up is Tim Burton. An American born Director known for his gothic horror style. He has worked on some of the most cherished franchises in movie history including Batman, Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland

Premise of the thread is to cast your vote for which of his movies you think is his very best piece of work in the Directors chair. It would also be appreciated if you could state why you feel that particular movie is his best.

Polls stay open for 10 days.

Ugh...that was a hard one for me between Batman and Beetlejuice but I had to give it to Beetlejuice. Decades later it's still watchable. It left a huge impression on me as a kid and when I watch it now I still enjoy it immensely, which doesn't happen that often. The whole story and setting and theme is utterly bizarre and I love it.

There's no other movie like it.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Everything up to Ed Wood is great. Mars Attacks and up he gets pretty spotty imo. I love his Batman films. Beetlejuice has got to take the cake though. There's nothing else like it.

kunonabi

I gotta go with Big Fish. It's one of those movies where everything comes together just right and the way it handles changes in tone and all the different periods and locations while still feeling coherent is remarkable.

Personal favorite is Sleepy Hollow though . Script is super dated but it is so gorgeous and atmospheric.

Last edited:
Yeah this was my choice also. I just love how it approaches and portrays human nature and suburbia.

Joyce has got to be one of the best characters in this movie. Always makes me laugh.

Phone Podcast GIF by Washed Media

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think Big Fish is the movie that best fits his style and tells a great story. I love the conflict and love between father and son in the movie, The wonder the son feels and the realization at the end that he was seeing all of it wrong. Just a beautiful film.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Still gotta watch that again. My friends and I really tore into it in our report at the test screening but I never watched it after release.
I'm not an avid movie watcher, so I can't tell what makes a movie good or bad.

What drew me to Corpse Bride was its grossness. It had some really nasty scenes.
I didn't expect myself to love the movie as a whole, but I actually did. It ended up being one of my all time favorites.

Again, I know nothing about movies. I haven't watched a single movie in six or seven years. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jdforge

Banned
I think Big Fish is the movie that best fits his style and tells a great story. I love the conflict and love between father and son in the movie, The wonder the son feels and the realization at the end that he was seeing all of it wrong. Just a beautiful film.
I need to watch this again!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
One of the best artists of our lifetime it feels like his movies are right there in the top 10 my issue with the films is it takes a depp to make them great Tim can operate without him when he needs to and I question some of the stories. A planet with apes? A guy with knives for hands? There’s a lot of crazy you know over the top Hollywood that I’d like to try today

Tim Burton 2024

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm the pee wee voter. Great movie.

kunonabi

I'm not an avid movie watcher, so I can't tell what makes a movie good or bad.

What drew me to Corpse Bride was its grossness. It had some really nasty scenes.
I didn't expect myself to love the movie as a whole, but I actually did. It ended up being one of my all time favorites.

Again, I know nothing about movies. I haven't watched a single movie in six or seven years. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I honestly don't even remember what our issues were. I think it was something to do with the pacing or structure. I enjoyed everything else I believe.

Top Bottom