• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 - A Review of the new most played MMO in the world

geary

A review of Final Fantasy 14 after 6000 hours with it, focusing on where it went right, where it still might be going wrong, and what sets it apart from other games in the genre.

Introduction 0:00
Part 1 - The early game 12:50
Part 2 - The story 35:45
Part 3 - The ARR problem 54:43
Part 4 - The end game 1:17:35
Part 4b - Raiding 1:37:39
Part 5 - A home you can return to 1:48:38

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's a great game and the best MMO right now, but isn't it a fucking tragedy that WoW at its best is still by far the MMO experience ever?

MMO's is such a huge letdown, it was supposed to take over everything but devs just never found any good ways to innovate the genre.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Still can't imagine spending 6000 hours on one game.

That's just the nature of MMOs, they're designed to be played excessively. The social interaction and lurking in cities is a huge part of it. Also the Steam version's been out for nearly a decade which helps.

TheMan

Ugh, I reinstalled this on my ps5 just before the release of endwalker, but then I was too chicken to play this game on my LG because of all the static elements. Buying endwalker gets you access to all the previous expansions, right?

kunonabi

I wanted to like it but not being able to play story missions with friends or mix and match job skills killed it for me.

I thought we were going to get reviews from Final Fantasy XIV, not A Realm Reborn.

4/10 GameSpot

5.5/10 IGN

49 Metacritic
3.9 User Score

ManaByte

Gold Member
Haven’t been able to get on my server since the expansion released. Waste of a monthly fee if you can’t play.

Been playing TESO and it’s the EverQuest sequel EQII should’ve been.

Super skeptical of mmos, when I see people talk about them and than see it I don’t see the hype they just chew up hours of your day.
I played through from the start and three expansions in a few weeks.

You can play it basically like any other JRPG. Each expansion plays like a single full-length JRPG.

There's tons of optional content apart from the main story, but it's all separate. If you're hesitant, it's best to treat it like 3 or 4 really good Final Fantasy games. Then after, if you want to keep playing to play endless post-gsme dungeons, crafting, house building, etc, that's always an option as something different.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Serious question as my time with both is limited, but what makes this better than ESO?

iHaunter

It's a great game and the best MMO right now, but isn't it a fucking tragedy that WoW at its best is still by far the MMO experience ever?

MMO's is such a huge letdown, it was supposed to take over everything but devs just never found any good ways to innovate the genre.
I played a bit for FFXIV. Up to last expansion. I just HATE how "Hubby" the World feels. It feels tiny, every single aspect of the game is Instanced. Even the overworld is heavily instanced and in sections. The game just doesn't feel like an MMO. But a queue simulator. To me it feels like a SP game with MMO aspects and raiding. WoW just feels like a better MMO game and a better MMO experience, the content just sucks.

WoW - Best MMO Experience with shitty content
FFIXV - Best MMO content with shitty MMO Experience

(My personal experience of course)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m quite enjoying the game. Just have to say that the FFXIV subreddit is a cesspool of unfunny recycled memes. It honestly kinda makes me think less of the game and the community around it.

Raven117

Its absolutely worth playing through them just for the Main Quest line... Each expansion is like a book in a series (and full lenghth RPG).

I don't even dabble in the MMO stuff. Just the main quest....It can easily be discussed as one of the best Final Fantasy stories in entire series. And honestly, without the nostalgia.....it probably is the best.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I played a bit for FFXIV. Up to last expansion. I just HATE how "Hubby" the World feels. It feels tiny, every single aspect of the game is Instanced. Even the overworld is heavily instanced and in sections. The game just doesn't feel like an MMO. But a queue simulator. To me it feels like a SP game with MMO aspects and raiding. WoW just feels like a better MMO game and a better MMO experience, the content just sucks.

WoW - Best MMO Experience with shitty content
FFIXV - Best MMO content with shitty MMO Experience

(My personal experience of course)

There are several adjectives I'd use to describe FFXIV. "Tiny" is certainly not one of them. I think the actual game instances are sufficiently spread out (with quick enough transitions even on PC) to not make the game feel like hubs stacked on top of one another. That said, "single-player in an MMO. . ." is exactly what they are (clearly) going for with this iteration of the game and it clearly works (though there is the MMO part of that available if you are looking). Compare this with ESO or The Old Republic and I do think FFXIV edges out both (definitely ESO in terms of single player gaming and is close with TOR).

I thought we were going to get reviews from Final Fantasy XIV, not A Realm Reborn.

4/10 GameSpot

5.5/10 IGN

49 Metacritic
3.9 User Score

Why would a version of the game that no longer exists be the CURRENT most played MMO in the world?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Let's revisit this comment in 5 years.

ethomaz

Banned

4/10 GameSpot

5.5/10 IGN

49 Metacritic
3.9 User Score
You can’t play that game for over a decade already 🤔

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Still can't imagine spending 6000 hours on one game.
My FFXI playtime is over 20 000 hours, but it's been around a lot longer and keep in mind that a lot of that time is spent afk. It's just easier to stay logged in all day than logging in and out, plus it allows you to sell items in your bazaar.

Top Bottom