• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 will be GOTY and the ultimate FF game.

Gameplay, story, graphics, all look top notch.

Combat especially. The guy who developed DMC5 worked on it and you can just tell. And I like that whilst it has the spectacle of FF15's combat it feels more like an actual real time adaptation of the gameplay of the OG games with the focus being on various elements, summons and weapons rather than weird warping powers in FF15 which had nothing to do with how battles were fought in any prior FF game. I'm also getting huge Berseria vibes from the story which is great. Looks super dark.

Both a top tier combat system and seemingly a top tier narrative. FF16 will be absolutely insane.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
ab67616d0000b273c0d4fec3fc967ea3f243fb5d

fermcr

Gameplay, story, graphics, all look top notch.

Combat especially. The guy who developed DMC5 worked on it and you can just tell. And I like that whilst it has the spectacle of FF15's combat it feels more like an actual real time adaptation of the gameplay of the OG games with the focus being on various elements, summons and weapons rather than weird warping powers in FF15 which had nothing to do with how battles were fought in any prior FF game. I'm also getting huge Berseria vibes from the story which is great. Looks super dark.

FF16 will be absolutely insane.

FF15 was crap.
FF7Remake was ok... way overhyped.

Doubt FF16 will be GOTY.

feynoob

Banned
The number of people predicting GOTY from a studio that hasn't made a good game in nearly 12 years is so wild.

I look forward to playing it, but jeez.
Bethesda games won goty. Fallout 4 was close to winning it.

Let's not downplay them.

Guilty_AI

People who think this game will be mediocre don't appreciate quality combat systems.
I don't think it'll be mediocre, though personally what would make or break the game for the is quality of the story, which i honestly have low hopes for given the series track record from the last 1-2 decades. Even if its not utterly retarded like FF7R, just being OK wouldn't do it either in my book.

The problem is, why would this stand out over something like Granblue Fanatsy Relink? Or Armored Core 6? Heck, i've got DMCV on my backlog, why shouldn't i go play that instead since having the guy involved in it here is such a big deal? This game just doesn't stand out at all for me aside from the fact "its Final Fantasy".

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Let’s hope so, same with Spider-Man and Starfield. Would make this year insane and the GOTY awards actually interesting.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
very hard due to TOTK, would be a miracle for FF or any game to win GOTY

feynoob

Banned
That's lovely. Didn't stop his previous focus being Fallout 3.5. Again, hope it's good, but the people crying GOTY already are really setting themselves up for disappointment.
The man has track records for that.

• Empathy
Reactions: AV

Flutta

Banned
Lets be realistic. TotK will take it this year. Nothing will beat it.

That doesn’t mean that FF16 will be a bad game or it can’t be your GOTY. Either way can’t wait to play it myself, game looks badass in it’s own right.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I like what I see from FFXVI. The only negative I have so far is they kinda overdid it with the particle effects. Visually it’s too overbearing and/or distracting. Regardless, won’t be picking it up at launch because I’m waiting for the rumored detachable ps5 hardware to be announced/launch.

reksveks

I think ToTK is the favourite for sure, it kinda has blasted away the rest of the competition.

Re: Spider-man 2, I think it will be great but more of the same.
Re: Starfield, it could get there if performance and bugs weren't an issue but that's not likely.
Re: FF16, not sure it will be in contention personally but it will be 3-5th general spot.

I see totk getting 98% of the goty awards, spiderman and Starfield getting 1% each

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Lets be realistic. TotK will take it this year. Nothing will beat it.

That doesn’t mean that FF16 will be a bad game or it can’t be your GOTY. Either way can’t wait to play it myself, game looks badass in it’s own right.
That is the only one that has the edge. Even though I love Bethesda, it will be hard for starfield or spiderman 2 to displace that game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
TOTK had already won this award before it was even finished. Games like that, GOW, and GTA are automatic wins unless something major like Elden Ring comes to disrupt them. No franchise has enough prestige to stand up to TOTK this year. It will demolish the competition. Whether it's great or not is almost irrelevant and we all know this.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Would take some doing to dethrone TOTK... which is probably on track to be GOTY...

I am hoping Spiderman 2 can also make a case for it, though if I am to be honest, while Insomniac makes great stuff, what they make always seems to lack that litte extra thing to make it GOTY.

kyussman

I see what you did there OP......you're assuming they ignore TotK because of BotW.....they did the whole best game ever thing for that,so no need to go there again.....I guess that could happen,lol.

Shrap

It's been a long long time since I've even felt that a FF game is a contender for GOTY. I can guarantee right now that 16 won't change that. Square lost the magic long ago.

stn

I hope you're right, OP. I've been playing FF15 recently for the first time and having a blast, so I hope 16 continues that. That said, I have a feeling Tears will win the GOTY.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The number of people predicting GOTY from a studio that hasn't made a good game in nearly 12 years is so wild.

I look forward to playing it, but jeez.

What you just said can be said about Squenix and FF16 as well, no ?

for me looks mostly same, except summon battles
Summon battles look alright to me. Perfectly fine for what it is. My only concern would be if they happen too often like with Bayo 3. I don't mind if it happens every now and then

Last edited:
I see what you did there OP......you're assuming they ignore TotK because of BotW.....they did the whole best game ever thing for that,so no need to go there again.....I guess that could happen,lol.
I'm not even talking about TGA when I mean GOTY tbh. They're just an overglorified popularity contest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom