• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 will be GOTY and the ultimate FF game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What you just said can be said about Squenix and FF16 as well, no ?

No idea, not played anything Squenix made in that timeframe. DQ11 and FF7R look like good games, though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Final Fantasy 16 will be GOTY and the ultimate FF game.
Idk about that OP....
0.jpg
Between this game and FFXVI, obvious the choice might not be.

Last edited:
I could easily see FF16 scoring in the mid 90's. FF16 combat director is the same as DMC 5. Critics gave DMC 5 an 87, even with its obvious short comings, the games combat was resoundingly beloved. Also, Yoshida is running around the gaming circuit as if FF16 is some kind of magnum opus to his career. Not to mention the game went gold 3 months before release, so it should be exceptionally well polished

Eotheod

It will probably win the TGA popularity contest but that doesn't mean it actually IS the greatest game of the year.
I'd argue Zelda is looking a lot more interesting in scale and overall delivery then anything else so far. It actually runs without any major bugs for one, a rarity in this day and age of gaming.

I don't know what it is, but every trailer I've seen for FF16 just feels very flat. Not sure if it's the delivery of the game, or the aesthetic being very much FF14, but it just doesn't feel "alive" if that makes sense. But hey, you are keen OP and that's all that matters for your enjoyment!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
won't stand a chance
The first few hours was the best true RPG experience I had from the games I've played since.... Mass Effect 3 (minus the ending) and Fallout: New Vegas. I didn't like the first Original Sin story-wise and decided not to play the second one cuz of that reason.

I mean, obviously, gameplay-wise these games will be vastly different, but to choose the best RPG of the year at the end of it will for sure won't be an easy task for me. When it comes to GOTY though... I haven't played a GOTY-level game this year yet.

Last edited:

Thabass

The same reviewers which are responsible for giving every mainline Mario and Zelda under the sun a 10/10 for the past 2 and a half decades. Totally not biased.
So...the majority of websites are biased? Most of the big publications are saying it's a 9.5 or higher. GOD YOU'RE RIGHT! IT'S CONSPIRACY!

I feel like you're the one that more biased than the reviews and Final Fantasy is my favorite overall series. So, don't think I'm not hyped for it, just don't be disappointed when (or if) it doesn't win all the GOTY nods. I'm sure it will win a few tho.

Last edited:
So...the majority of websites are biased? Most of the big publications are saying it's a 9.5 or higher. GOD YOU'RE RIGHT! IT'S CONSPIRACY!
They are biased when it comes to certain IPs yes. Biased journalism isn't anything new. Explain how The Last Jedi got top scores by reviewers whilst got completely dunked on by user reviews.

Madflavor

TotK is currently sitting at a 97. Add to the fact Zelda has always been the critical darling of the gaming industry, I can guarantee you there is almost no scenario at this point where FFXVI takes GotY.

The only way it has a chance is if they deliver a truly remarkable story. Like GoW and TLOU levels of storytelling. Something that deeply impacts the emotions of critics and players.

I think a more reasonable wish to have at this point, is whether or not FFXVI is the best FF since the Golden Age of the series (IV - X)

Fbh

It will likely be my favorite game of the year and I have high hopes it will be the best FF since at least 9.
But there was never any chance that any game other than TotK was going to get most Goty awards, and the reviews that came out today basically confirm it.

Thabass

They are biased when it comes to certain IPs yes. Biased journalism isn't anything new. Explain how The Last Jedi got top scores by reviewers whilst got completely dunked on by user reviews.
Easy: Everyone has an opinion and everyone was pissed that the game's performance was shit when it launched. I don't usually go by reviews when it comes to what I want to play, but if THIS many publications are singing this the praises of a game...chances are the game is pretty good.

User Reviews can also be skewed because people like to review bomb, so I trust those even less nowadays.

Kacho

Looks like a great game and I’m sure it’ll be in the running due to it being an iconic IP, but I doubt it snags GOTY over Zelda.

I wonder what the list of GOTY candidates will be…

Zelda, Starfield, Final Fantasy, Hogwarts, Spider-Man if that drops, and maybe Armored Core?

Kokoloko85

I dont see anything beating Zelda.

It looks amazing and will probably be my GOTY but it gets hate from its own fanbase let alone others. Plus the whole each Icon battle is different means alot could go wrong

BbMajor7th

Nothing I've seen from XVI so far really blows me away. I prefer the aesthetic to XV and the graphics are nice, but aside from that, it doesn't do much for me. Besides, all the videos they've put out make me feel like I've already seen too much.

Nothing I've seen from XVI so far really blows me away. I prefer the aesthetic to XV and the graphics are nice, but aside from that, it doesn't do much for me. Besides, all the videos they've put out make me feel like I've already seen too much.
If you prioritised gameplay it would blow you away.

Lupin25

Well that’s certainly a good sell, OP.

I can’t say I’m *blown* away yet.
DMC5 was good personally but it felt like a combat simulator at times with repetitive enemy/level design at times.

BbMajor7th

If you prioritised gameplay it would blow you away.
As someone who still plays ugly-ass games like Dark Souls on the regular, but can't get through Horizon Forbidden West, I can tell you, my priorities aren't with the pretties. People can just want different things from gameplay. Honestly, I the combat in FFXVI looks too busy and overwrought for me and character upgrade stuff looks kinda rote. Some people will totally dig it and I'm really happy for them, but I'm just not sure it's for me, based on what we've seen so far.

Solidus_T

It looks like it's going to be an awesome game, but with Zelda sitting at 96 on MC, it is unlikely that FFXVI will get GOTY.

Top Bottom