• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 will be GOTY and the ultimate FF game.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Only because it isn't turn based.

To me it looks like a action based real time adaptation of traditional FF. The FF DNA is still there it's just modernised.

Thats ok we dont have to think the same ... for me it doesn't look anything like Final Fantasy.. but FFVX was the worst game I played on my ps4 by a mile... so if FF16 dosent look like FF but it is a good game .. fuck it ill take that

Doom85

It could potentially be my GOTY. It is going against Resident Evil 4 Remake which is a high bar to surpass for me, plus there could be a surprise hit or two before the years ends.

Zelda won’t be it for me though. Not a fan of its weapon durability returning. But for those who will have Zelda as their GOTY, more power to you.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Fallout 4 was completely mediocre across the board. 76 was an unmitigated disaster at launch.

I hope Starfield is great, I wanna play it, but those games weren't Skyrim.

Fallout 4 won a bunch GotY awards. Only the Witcher 3 won more.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gameplay, story, graphics, all look top notch.

Combat especially. The guy who developed DMC5 worked on it and you can just tell. And I like that whilst it has the spectacle of FF15's combat it feels more like an actual real time adaptation of the gameplay of the OG games with the focus being on various elements, summons and weapons rather than weird warping powers in FF15 which had nothing to do with how battles were fought in any prior FF game. I'm also getting huge Berseria vibes from the story which is great. Looks super dark.

Both a top tier combat system and seemingly a top tier narrative. FF16 will be absolutely insane.

What's brought this on today op?

I hope its good but it's got some questions for me.

Madflavor

Expansion
If you want to exclusively talk about mainline entries that aren’t mmos, then yeah it’s been awhile since an FF got a 90 or above. But if we do count them, both Shadowbringers and Endwalker are full length sized games that are both excellent, and the FFXIV package as a whole is one of the best FF games ever.

bbeach123

Really ? I liked the game & had like 100 hours under it but GotY ? What are they smoking ? The game just scream mediocre to me .

Tbh nowaday feel like every game had a GotY under their belt so they can release a GotY edition .

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Already looks like the most uninspired FF ever. So it will certainly be the case !
You mean, you DON'T like the generic medieval setting from Twitcher 3 and Game of Thrones?
Don't you know that *every* Final Fantasy fan loves swearing, blood, sex scenes and edginess in their Final Fantasy?
Also no controllable party members and action combat that resembles Devil May Cry minus the fun + 11 hours of cutscenes that makes you consider Titanic worth watching?

How DARE you Mr. Cireza

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

If we're talking about which game is going to win more GOTY awards this year, Starfield doesn't have a chance in hell. A handful, maybe.

My point wasn't about awards, though, it's that people actually thought Fallout 4 was a good game and that this means Starfield will be. Fallout 4 was mid, and I played 56 hours of that thing for some reason.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I think FF fans should be over the moon happy if FFXVI delivers, is a 90+ on MC, and the best FF in decades. That alone would be a monumental win for a franchise that has been in it’s Fat Elvis phase since 2010.

Beating Zelda, for any game, crosses into miracle territory. It would take a miracle for that to ever happen. For FFXVI to win GotY, against TotK, I honestly can’t think of a greater mark of quality than that. I’m serious. For a franchise to not only make a huge comeback like that, but also beat a Zelda game that has a 96 MC score? CBU3 could party naked, trash their studio and drink themselves stupid if that happened, and nobody would blame them.

It would be the gaming equivalent of USA beating the Soviets in 1980.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It should hopefully make some top tens but no hope in hell its goty from publications.

I hope that it will be your own personal goty though op. You seem hyped for it.

Madflavor

It should hopefully make some top tens but no hope in hell its goty from publications.

I hope that it will be your own personal goty though op. You seem hyped for it.

I think it depends on if certain publications value storytelling more. If say FFXVI not only delivers on great gameplay, but a great and impactful story to boot, I can see FFXVI winning a lot of GotY awards. Not as much as TotK, but in that scenario I don’t think we’d see the same sweep as we did with Elden Ring.

Minsc

Gold Member
Doubt it'll even make my top 5, maybe not even top 10, but hope I change my mind when I play it (I do plan on picking up at release).

squarealex

Gameplay, story, graphics, all look top notch.

Combat especially. The guy who developed DMC5 worked on it and you can just tell. And I like that whilst it has the spectacle of FF15's combat it feels more like an actual real time adaptation of the gameplay of the OG games with the focus being on various elements, summons and weapons rather than weird warping powers in FF15 which had nothing to do with how battles were fought in any prior FF game. I'm also getting huge Berseria vibes from the story which is great. Looks super dark.

Both a top tier combat system and seemingly a top tier narrative. FF16 will be absolutely insane.

Nope.
Maybe for the DMC fan

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

To say it will be GOTY, and the "ultimate" Final Fantasy game is subjective. So, some may agree, some not so much. 🤷‍♂️

I think because of the combat mechanics alone I'm more interested in it than I have been in previous Final Fantasy games for a LONG while (FF7R and related not included). I've never been a huge Final Fantasy fan for a number of reasons, but that's because I typically don't enjoy the core "things" that make Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy. I enjoyed the US version of Final Fantasy 3 (6) on SNES, and I loved Final Fantasy 7 when it launched on PS1. But that was all the Final Fantasy I enjoyed, up until FF7R and the Crisis Core remake.

But because XVI is dropping in June I'll probably wait on it as my attention is more so on SF6 and Diablo 4. But maybe I'll pick it up when it drops in price...

I'm interested in seeing how majority of the hardcore Final Fantasy fans feel about it. It's appeared to be pretty divisive. With a lot of fans loving it and looking forward to it being big DMC fans, which makes sense. Regardless, I respect them for trying something new.

Katatonic

This is the first FF I've been interested in since X. Th combat director worked on Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon's Dogma. Now add role playing, playable summons, badass art direction, epic af soundtrack and yeah, GOTY material.
That State of Play was a genius move by Sony and Squeenix. It put the game on a lot of people's radar who werent interested prior, myself included.

mykedo0909

I see no possible scenario in which this might happen, in a year with a new diablo and zelda. In addition the track record of se in the last year's is not assuring. Better luck w ff17

This will be the redemption arc for the series, I have no doubt about that. There hasn't been a great single player FF game since XII imo.
XV was the absolute lowest point in the series.

This will be the redemption arc for the series, I have no doubt about that. There hasn't been a great single player FF game since XII imo.
XV was the absolute lowest point in the series.
It feels like a return to form compared to XIII and XV. We're back to the standard medieval FF setting and magic is now magic again rather than item bombs there none of this weird focus on warping around, the only major difference being that it's action based.

Last edited:

iorek21

I'm really struggling to understand all the hype and faith people are putting in FFXVI. It does look good and I'll definitely play it but it's not mind blowing or anything.

It looks like a 80-90 MC game, and not the second coming of Christ that some people are painting it to be.

I'm really struggling to understand all the hype and faith people are putting in FFXVI. It does look good and I'll definitely play it but it's not mind blowing or anything.

It looks like a 80-90 MC game, and not the second coming of Christ that some people are painting it to be.
The gameplay is really the main attraction here. You have to be a fan of action games to realise how hype this is. I can see why FF purists who want turn based combat are sceptical.

Also MC scores aren't equivalent to how good a game is lol.

Last edited:

iorek21

You have to be a fan of action games to realise it. I can see why FF purists are sceptical.

Well, I enjoy action games way more than FF itself. I just can't understand all the fuss about it, seems good, but not that good.
I mean, this doesn't look better than DMC5, classic GOW and other games.

Well, I'm optimist for it, but will hold my expectations.

Lupin25

I don't think action games are for you.

No seriously

In the midst of all these big games coming out this year.. you kind of reminded why I’m so excited for it.

At the same time, after what I’ve seen my hype meters aren’t same like they were after the FF7 Remake announcement. Ask me after June, because I feel Square is still holding back.

That is, unless the Eikon boss battles were that moment… Still some questions for me about the game though.

Last edited:

Alebrije

FF16 wont be game of the year but it seems will be best FF after 9. So it took 7 games to return to a better path...maybe next one could be.

Top Bottom