• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 The First Soldier has been shut down

Murdok

Final Fantasy 7 The First Soldier, a spin-off battle royale title for mobile, has officially been shut down. Publisher Square Enix announced the game’s end of service late last year, having taken effect today.

Evidently it wasn’t enough and now, after little more than 12 months, the game is no more.

“Despite all our efforts to bring you regular updates with fresh and exciting content, we haven’t been able to deliver the experience that we were hoping to, and that you all deserve, so we have made the extremely tough decision to end service” Square Enix states.

Square Enix has really sought to make the most out of FF7 in recent years, from the three-part Final Fantasy 7 Remake saga, which will continue next year with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, to the remake of Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 Reunion, and an upcoming retelling of the original story in the mobile game Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis.

The latest Square Enix games haven't been well received, what's going on with the company? What is your opinion?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
More like the Last Soldier

uwR78f1.gif

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Imagine how stupid the kids(adults) who spent money on it must feel.

Honestly they just move onto the next vapid gatcha title, check out any subreddit like Nintendo's Dragalia Lost after closure. They all move onto the next scam.

Interfectum

The mobile game market is fierce. Every game that comes out needs to be some mega GaaS gotcha game that requires developer staffing. If it doesn't hit then the company running it is just bleeding cash. These things will start dying quicker and quicker.

This is what happens when you race to the bottom and you live at the bottom.

Last edited:

Neilg

Should have been on consoles, i'd have at least given it a try. I have absolutely no interest in playing a game more complex than puzzle quest on my phone.
If i'm home, i'm just going to turn the console on and sit in front of the tv. If i'm out, i'm not playing a super in-depth twitchy battle royale in public/in a car/on a train. I imagine most people over 30 feel the same way.

There may be something to it's failure in that most people who care about the FF7 license and enjoyed the remake tend to skew older - at least old enough to have been there for the original. The vast majority of people who play games like this on mobile have to be under the age of 25, who weren't there for FF7 and dont give 2 shits about the setting beyond 'is it better than fortnite' - and if the answer is no, you're fucked and have no market share.

Last edited:

Polelock

Final Fantasy 7 The First Soldier, a spin-off battle royale title for mobile, has officially been shut down. Publisher Square Enix announced the game’s end of service late last year, having taken effect today.

Evidently it wasn’t enough and now, after little more than 12 months, the game is no more.

“Despite all our efforts to bring you regular updates with fresh and exciting content, we haven’t been able to deliver the experience that we were hoping to, and that you all deserve, so we have made the extremely tough decision to end service” Square Enix states.

Square Enix has really sought to make the most out of FF7 in recent years, from the three-part Final Fantasy 7 Remake saga, which will continue next year with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, to the remake of Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 Reunion, and an upcoming retelling of the original story in the mobile game Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis.

The latest Square Enix games haven't been well received, what's going on with the company? What is your opinion?

Good, sick of these money grab bullshit titles

nikos

Played it once or twice but don't remember much about it. I'd have played it a lot more on PC. Looking forward to Ever Crisis on mobile.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried it on my phone and deleted it once the tutorial was over. It felt weird, out of place, and irrelevant to a fan of Final Fantasy VII. It’s like they don’t understand their own IP.

ssringo

Aw that's okay. SQEnix probably have a dozen other games lined up to replace it. I think they just announced another Dragon Quest mobile game the other day.

mortal

Gold Member
These are the result of carelessly milking something while over relying on brand recognition and forgetting to actually make something compelling.

RayHell

Hopefully Square will reconsider their bad decisions to go mobile only. I'm looking at you FF7 Ever Crisis.

-Zelda-

Banned
Good riddance. In other news, I hear that Nier Reincarnation Bring it to consoles you hack frauds!
Yes, I am aware that it's not the same company, but I still want to mention it because it sucks that there is a Nier game out there that I am not going to play because I don't do cellphones (Hi Blizzard!)

Aion002

Battle Royale, mobile exclusive game with gacha and terrible battle pass + expensive skins + stingy free currency.

wrestling GIF by WWE

Mr.ODST

Game was decent tbf as a BR and added some new stuff in, loved it in the FF7 world but fuck me .... everyones been asking for a PC / Console port to keep the game alive

Damn,, I wanted to play one last round before it shut down. I had a decent time with it in the first season, but haven't played it since. As someone who absolutely hates everything in the Compilation of FF7, this was probably the least offensive FF7-related crap they've put out IMO. It didn't attempt to rewrite anything; it was just pure fan service packaged in a decent BR. The worst part about it was that it was only on mobile, though I was surprised how quickly I acclimated to the touch controls.

Good riddance. In other news, I hear that Nier Reincarnation Bring it to consoles you hack frauds!
Yes, I am aware that it's not the same company, but I still want to mention it because it sucks that there is a Nier game out there that I am not going to play because I don't do cellphones (Hi Blizzard!)
Wtf? Nier Reincarnation is a 1000x worse in its predatory practices AND gameplay. It's everything you hate about mobile games, but with the Nier name slapped on.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Damn,, I wanted to play one last round before it shut down. I had a decent time with it in the first season, but haven't played it since. As someone who absolutely hates everything in the Compilation of FF7, this was probably the least offensive FF7-related crap they've put out IMO. It didn't attempt to rewrite anything; it was just pure fan service packaged in a decent BR. The worst part about it was that it was only on mobile, though I was surprised how quickly I acclimated to the touch controls.

Wtf? Nier Reincarnation is a 1000x worse in its predatory practices AND gameplay. It's everything you hate about mobile games, but with the Nier name slapped on.
I did not know all that. I just saw the english voice actor of 9S playing it and I wanted to get in on it as well. How about Fantasian?

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
These are the result of carelessly milking something while over relying on brand recognition and forgetting to actually make something compelling.
I'm shocked they can still milk 7. Like honestly what more is there to even say without reaching Kingdom Hearts levels of stupidity?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
We're already past that since they tried to milk the FFVII brand with stupid retcons, one-winged morons everywhere, Sephiroth copycats and overall insane levels of stupidity.
Every FF7 expanded universe thing they’ve done has been awful and has only lessened my opinion of the original.

Reactions: Fuz

Spaceman292

Banned
The mobile game market is fierce. Every game that comes out needs to be some mega GaaS gotcha game that requires developer staffing. If it doesn't hit then the company running it is just bleeding cash. These things will start dying quicker and quicker.

This is what happens when you race to the bottom and you live at the bottom.
But one success can cover 100 failures

mortal

Gold Member
I'm shocked they can still milk 7. Like honestly what more is there to even say without reaching levels of Kingdom Hearts stupidity?
Agreed. At that point, it becomes something else entirely after so many spinoffs and retellings. Drifting further and further from what they defined the original game.

That's always the danger with Tetsuya Nomura led projects imo. They often start with very inspired and engrossing world-building and overarching themes, but get bogged down from too much focus on characters after they gain popularity.

Mr.ODST

Now Squeenix just needs to shut down 15, 16, 13-1-2-3, 7R and the other crap.

Then *maybe* Final Fantasy brand can be saved.

This is such a weird take, none of them were actually that bad (apart from 15), FF7 Remake was awesome if you accepted the fact they are trying to cater to new audiences while giving old fans fan service and im excited to see what they do, FF7's universe is expansive and clearly the most popular Final Fantasy thats why they milk it but the games are actually not that bad, Crisis Core Remaster was also great it allowed for everyone who has never played it a chance to experience this expansive universe.

Top Bottom