• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius |OT6| NeoGa.....NEOVISION!

Reizo Ryuu

anibgCN.jpg

Felt Like a new thread was due with the NEOVISION (NV) update.
a8XUsge.png

Introduction by Lyrian

Welcome to the thread!

Brave Exvius is a new Final Fantasy game, in the style of the SNES titles (IV, V, VI). That said, the game plays considerably different from the SNES titles, outside of combat. Combat in FFBE is equivalent to the Wait Mode ATB in these games (everyone acts individually in their team's turn before the opposing team gets their turn). In story and event modes, the player's team always goes first. In arena mode, the team that goes first is randomly chosen at the beginning of each new turn.

There is an original story with original characters. As the game is meant to last for several years, the story is considerably drawn out and may appear to be very slow moving (it at all) at first. As one progresses farther in Story Mode, the story becomes considerably more interesting. Please keep in mind that the story really doesn't begin to really get rolling until four or five islands into the game (Dirnado Isle or Olderion Isle), which can be a considerably long time for a new player. Please bear with the story until then.

The game belongs to a genre known as gacha, or lottery-style game. In this game, not only are there original characters, but the player also has the be ability to pull characters from other Final Fantasies (both heroes and villains) to join them on their team. This is a major draw of the game. On the flip side, as a lottery-style game, the more desirable or popular characters are often quite hard to obtain, and attempts at pulling for them cost a premium currency (lapis) in the game. A fair amount of lapis given to players over time for various events in the game (Brave Exvius is unusually generous in this regard compared to other games in this genre). Addiitional lapis can be purchased for real-world currency to fund additional activities in the game (refilling energy) or for more attempts at pulling rare units from the slot machine.

Various activities are also inserted into the game from time to time, that offer unique equipments, materia, spells, and so on that are not found in the story mode of the game. These can take the form of a dungeon from another Final Fantasy, an exploration of some kind, or a trial against a powerful boss (which is what everyone in the thread is passionate about at the moment as that is this week's challenge).

In this regard, you could think of this as a single-player MMO, as new content is constantly added to the game weekly and new chapters are being added to the story monthly.

Brave Exvius Basics

Units

There are 4 types of ways to acquire units. The first are the story units. These are given to you for free.

The second is the standard summon. The combat of the game has you using five units + a unit from someone else's game. When you use this unit you gain 10 friend points if that person is on your friends list, and 5 points if they're not. Furthermore, every day you can receive 10 friend points from the people on your friends list through daily gifting. Once you have 200 friend points you can spend these to acquire a 1-3 star friend point unit. These units are not that powerful long term, but some of them come with some great Trust Masteries.

The third method is the rare summons. This is the true gacha pool, and allows you to summon units from 3-5 stars and NV base. The greater the rarity the lower the odds are of summoning a unit of that rarity, but these units are usually more powerful on a fundamental level.
  • Blue Crystal = 3* base = 45% chance to occur
    pgEhP1w.png
  • Yellow Crystal = 4* base = 45%
    OzhHod9.png
  • Rainbow Crystal = 5* base = 8.75%
    QS16MjW.png
  • RED -NV- Crystal = NV base = 1.25%
    Ei6Ol2d.png
    - this one also guarantees a drop of a NV card
Summoning these units costs Lapis, the in game currency, or rare summon tickets. Every Friday a new "banner" is added to the game that lasts two weeks. These banners increase the chances of acquiring the units displayed. The 3* and a 4* base unit that is on the banner has a 25% chance of occurring if that colored crystal drops, and the 5* base has a 50% chance. However these increases are split if there are multiple units of the same base rarity on the banner.

Summons cost 500 lapis or 1 rare summon ticket. Each day you can make 1 summon for 250 lapis. You can also make an 11 unit summon for 5000 lapis, which guarantees the first crystal to be at least yellow.

How it feels sometimes
Hxh8UoVl.jpg

The fourth and final way to acquire units (at this time) is through events. The conditions for obtaining the unit will vary with each event.

It's also important to mention that units can be upgraded, and are not stuck at their base level. Currently the highest a unit can go is 7* with some of them also having a NV awakening. If you wish to know the maximum rarity of a unit use the Exvius wiki (linked below).

Lapis

Lapis is the in game currency. You can acquire this via:
  • Daily Quests. Everyday there is a list of quests that you can complete for certain rewards. If you complete 5 of the 6 challenges you will be given 50 lapis.
  • Missions. These are challenges that come with every quest.
  • Trophies. These are challenges that you will complete by doing generic tasks throughout the game. These are usually long terms challenges, but the reward for completing each one is 500 lapis.
  • Real World Currency. The reality is that this is a gacha game, and in order to obtain a substantial amount of lapis in a short period of time you will need to spend money. It is very possible to be F2P and be able to complete all the content, but remember that it's important to spend your lapis wisely.
Events

Every Friday a new event is added to the game. These usually follow the theme of the new banner and also last 2 weeks.

Mog King Events are a grind type event. You take on a boss and every time you defeat it you gain a special event currency. This currency can be traded into the mog king for prizes. Materials, tickets, exclusive gear, the list goes on. Having the corresponding banner units in your party will give you a bonus amount of event currency upon completion.

Exploration Events are a one time clear event in which you must traverse through the map and defeat the boss at the end. These will usually give a single prize at the end, though there are smaller prizes throughout the map.

Raids. They are not your typical MMO style raid, and are closer to the Mog King events. You simply have to defeat the boss, but rather than obtaining currency you gain points. Prizes are given at set total point thresholds, and there are two prize ladders. One for your individual point total, and one for the point total of everyone currently playing.

Because of the weekly events and banner changes there is usually maintenance every Thursday.

There are also collaborations from time to time
3Cb4mEC.jpg

YK7OhcD.png
g5K6mgW.png
jFxBKCL.png
pexi4IY.png
5DEn5II.png
BPK83sK.png

Trust Masteries

You'll notice that each of your units have a percentage that occasionally goes up after a battle. This is their Trust Mastery. These are can be powerful items, spells, or abilities, and as such some units are sought after purely for their trust mastery. Units have a 10% chance to gain a 0.1% increase every battle. This is not something you need to worry about too much early game, but when you are ready there is a more detailed guide linked below.
Once a unit reaches 7*, they can also start raising their Super Trust mastery, this can only be done with extra copies of the unit or an STMR Moogle.

Ability Awakening

As the game progresses older and less powerful units become outclassed by the newer and stronger units. However Ability Awakenings allow older units to increase the power of some of their abilities. In order to do this you need Ability Awakening Crystals and Gil. The crystals range from 5 levels and come in various colors (see below). The level 1-4 crystals can be farmed from the Chamber of Gems in the Vortex of Desires, and the level 5 crystals can be obtained through various events. Each unit and move will require different gems to awaken them. If you wish to see what Ability Awakenings your units will obtain in the future and what materials you will need then please follow across' guide below. Note that the data is based on the JP version of the game so Ability Awakenings may vary in the GL version.

Another way of upgrading units, is Latent Abilities, some units have received extra abilities. These can be obtained from the Latent Ability menu

Attack Chaining

For some abilities you will notice a little icon on top of them:
KOv4Opi.jpg

This means that they are part of that specific chaining family.
If you have mulitple characters in your party with the same chain family, you can exponentionally increase the damage you do by activating them at the same time.
This will make the ability chain, and if you do it fast enough, spark chain, which further increases the damage.

5* Select Summon Ticket

You get the chance to get 2 of these every month, collect 10 and you can select nearly any 5* base unit you want.
With 8 of them you can select a prism, which is a cheaper way of getting a unit to 7*, so these are pretty valuable, try getting the two tickets every month.

Useful Links

Exvius Wiki
FFBE Reddit
FFBE Unit Builder

Disclaimer

It's important to remember that at the end of the day this is a gacha game. The summons you make are purely RNG. No unit is guaranteed and no one is owed anything in the eyes of the game. The game has no honor system so your odds of getting a better unit do not increase over time. You simply have to roll with the punches and work on making the units you have strong; so: Pull for banners, not for units.

Last edited:

Pejo

Holy shit, FFBE GAF still lives?

I took a year or so hiatus from the game after the last anniversary left me with like 1200 blue/gold units and cactuars to fuse, and I was mostly sick of Gumi and the game at the time. Came back recently due to wanting to check out the NeoVision shit.

Then Gil-gate just happened. Same old fucking Gumi.

Anyways, I was super lucky on those anniversary daily 4 pulls. I've gotten 2 NV Cloud and 1 NV Aerith so far from them, along with a ton of rainbows. I'm hoarding everything for NV Elena, hoping to get 2 for the EX+1. The grind seems to have gotten worse, but I'm no longer burning myself out on it, just doing whatever I feel like. I'm kinda mad that they started giving out event 7*s, I missed a few I would like to have, and it looks like even in JP they never come back or even show up in the select ticket pool.

Reizo Ryuu

Welcome back.
The grinds have gotten worse recently because of them skipping a lot of events in order to play catch up with jpn, but it should normalise out soon.

Pejo

Welcome back.
The grinds have gotten worse recently because of them skipping a lot of events in order to play catch up with jpn, but it should normalise out soon.
Thanks! That's good to hear. On top of all these events to grind, I still am 1.5 seasons behind on the story. I kinda fell off of it during Lasswell and co. looking for Rain for basically half a year. It felt like a big Rain wank off session every time there was a cutscene. I hear Fina (blue mage) is the focus of season 3, hope she has a more interesting arc.

Can somebody do a quick rundown of Dark Visions and what they are/why I should do them? There was just too much in the past few weeks for me to get into it - on top of picking up everything else that's changed over the year, so I didn't touch it.

Reizo Ryuu

Dark visions are basically element fights, the bosses show what they are weak against, and with the right gear that means a 20% damage boost.
Aside from that it's about scoring high, which you do by achieving high chains, high damage, low turn counts and no/low deaths.

Pejo

So I am not liking this trend of making the 30AP LGD farming stage as tough as they've been the last two mog king events. It's a sleazy as fuck way to make you pull for the latest NV units since you can't full clear with bonus units without them due to power creep. It took me like 4 turns to beat those 2 boss dragons with a friend's 4K ATK Neovision Cloud and my own bonus units. It was one thing when everyone had free 3K ATK NV Tifas, but I only have seen one Akstar all day and zero NV Lasswells. Then you consider the fact you have to grind this stage multiple times per day, it's just too much for a mobile phone game.

Shouta

It's more efficient to drop a bonus unit and use a unit that gets LB at the start of battle so it can spam it. I use Bahamut Dark Fina in all of my Mog King farming teams with LB damage up. Additionally, the FF7 event was a bit oddly tuned.

In any case, it's not as important to get currency now as much as it is to the event points so prioritizing a unit that can clear it easily is a better idea anyway.

Pejo

Do you guys use FFBE equip? I have been using the built in "Optimize" button that they just added to the actual game, but it sucks.

Shouta

Optimize button is still cheeks. It's okay for a fast equip but you should adjust your units afterwards because it'll do weird shit with it sometimes like use Delita's STMR for attack. It's a nice boost but losing 2000 HP a turn is a pain in the ass sometimes, lol

Pejo

I'll put up my yoshikiri next week, replacing nv akstar.
Damn, you either get hella lucky on banners or you've been dropping some lapis. I appreciate the friend units though, I missed a lot over the past year as far as TMRs/STMRs/limited stuff, so it's been a challenge rebuilding my team.

Reizo Ryuu

I've been getting hella lucky, I only spent lapis on the nv aerith banner because of the free multi deal.
Ironically I didn't get nv aerith, all the others I got just from the daily half off summon, or the weekly/daily summons we got for the anniversary stream.

I'm back in saving mode though, since the lapis I spent on aerith was actually meant for the halloween units and I have to build it back up.

Last edited:

Pejo

I've been getting hella lucky, I only spent lapis on the nv aerith banner because of the free multi deal.
Ironically I didn't get nv aerith, all the others I got just from the daily half of summon, or the weekly/daily summons we got for the anniversary stream.

I'm back in saving mode though, since the lapis I spent on aerith was actually meant for the halloween units and I have to build it back up.
You going to roll next week on Elena? I'm gonna throw what I have at her. I don't think I'm long for playing this game again. The "freshness" has worn off already and the grind, on top of being even more demanding since there's all new currencies and materials, has gotten harder to the point that it takes me like 3-4 turns per wave, and I'm just not having fun. I'm so far behind in story that I don't have any of the good espers that allow for easy 2 turn Tifa strategies. These event dailies that require a team of only select units, while fun on paper, are an absolute chore to build characters and try to get through. Maybe some people like this new direction, but I liked my grind as mindless as possible, saving the building and strategy for trials/special rewards.

Reizo Ryuu

You going to roll next week on Elena?
I think I'm going to have to skip elena, gonna feel real bad if halloween comes around with a shiny new lilith or karten and I've got nothing left.
With the relatively small pool of NV units atm, the chances of getting her randomly later aren't terrible.

But yeah the grind can be pretty harsh for a returning player, I'd say wait it out for a bit, more and more units will be very strong NVA like Tifa; the entire point of the NV update was to kinda make it easier to have a strong unit, seeing as how with 7*, a single 5* base was pretty useless; NV units are great even without brave shift or vision cards.
Once there are a lot more NVA units, the grind should stabilise; I'd say just ignore the hard shit and just go rake in all the lapis and resources from the story and story events/raids.

Pejo

I think I'm going to have to skip elena, gonna feel real bad if halloween comes around with a shiny new lilith or karten and I've got nothing left.
With the relatively small pool of NV units atm, the chances of getting her randomly later aren't terrible.

But yeah the grind can be pretty harsh for a returning player, I'd say wait it out for a bit, more and more units will be very strong NVA like Tifa; the entire point of the NV update was to kinda make it easier to have a strong unit, seeing as how with 7*, a single 5* base was pretty useless; NV units are great even without brave shift or vision cards.
Once there are a lot more NVA units, the grind should stabilise; I'd say just ignore the hard shit and just go rake in all the lapis and resources from the story and story events/raids.
Honestly, that's pretty good advice. I'll never catch up in story if I keep grinding the mog king shit. I already got the points NV+ EX ticket so there's nothing past that that's really going to be a game changer like catching up on story stuff and Espers. Thanks, I'll start doing that.

Shouta

NV Locke in JP with NVA Sabin and Edgar. Edgar looks buff as hell as a Dragoon but Sabin's kit is super weird but worth potentially labbing up which excites me.

Pejo

NV Locke in JP with NVA Sabin and Edgar. Edgar looks buff as hell as a Dragoon but Sabin's kit is super weird but worth potentially labbing up which excites me.
Locke's my favorite character from VI, well tied with Celes (who Gumi/Alim don't seem to remember at all). I'm pretty psyched about his NV. Looks like a relatively small kit, move-wise, if the entry on FFBE wiki is up to date. Still, some strong breaks and SR chaining. Pretty cool.

Now when the heck does Celes get out of 3* base hell?

Pejo

My yoshikiri is up and he's got 100% evade.
I managed to get NV Elena and bought the pack to get her to EX+1.

I gotta say though, I'm way more impressed with my EX+1 Loren. She's fucking bonkers right now and so much easier to gear.

How do you like Yoshi? I heard he's kinda shit, but I always liked SPR based dmg dealers because of that inherent survivability. It's a shame Lila never really got her chance to shine on Global.

I will say, NV Elena is nowhere nearly as cool as regular Elena. All the interesting support skills from her kit are gone, and she's just a boring as fuck hybrid damage dealer now. Couple that with the fact that Gumi being the lazy bastards they are - kept her animations almost exactly the same for her normal/BS versions except pink hair color. I feel like both Yoshi and Elena got changed last minute from 7* to NV. At least Yoshi has full animation sets for both forms.

At least this week's farming stuff is finally easier than the past 2. I can solo Training Elena with Loren, so I had the ability to just stuff extra copies of regular Elena/Loren in my party for bonus units.

How do you get more than 1 of the Elena training tickets, btw? Does the daily reset rewards every day?

Reizo Ryuu

How do you like Yoshi? I heard he's kinda shit, but I always liked SPR based dmg dealers because of that inherent survivability. It's a shame Lila never really got her chance to shine on Global.

He's great, his damage is on the low end, but he increases party survivability by a metric fuckton

How do you get more than 1 of the Elena training tickets, btw? Does the daily reset rewards every day?

It resets daily, so you can get like 14 tickets, but each unit can be picked twice.
I think this means we'll get some more tickets later.

Shouta

JP getting a pretty fat set of 5th anniversary gifts including 25000 Lapis straight out in addition to at least 5000 in login bonuses and a bunch of other stuff. Free NV unit and a Vision card too

Pejo

JP getting a pretty fat set of 5th anniversary gifts including 25000 Lapis straight out in addition to at least 5000 in login bonuses and a bunch of other stuff. Free NV unit and a Vision card too
NV of choice or just a guaranteed ticket?

Pejo

I managed to luck into NV Gabranth with a random single regular ticket, that was a pleasant surprise. Then I read a bunch of reviews that tanks are a waste of a spot now. Boy things have changed quite a bit since I played previously. I really like his design though.

This game has gotten quite involved to play on the daily, i'm not sure I'll keep playing that much longer. There's too much grinding for different competing things, and they made it difficult to the point that you can't just tap repeat for some of it. I don't really want a mobile game that I have to engage with for a few hours a day just for repeatable grind. I look forward to trials and stuff because they're one and done, but like the stages you need to grind for the NV skill medals, that's just horseshit and the break bar is stupid.

Shouta

Tanks are still fine, particularly for the challenge fights. They're pointless in Dark Visions for the most part though. Gabranth can attack while doing his tank role so he still has uses actually.

Reizo Ryuu

I look forward to trials and stuff because they're one and done, but like the stages you need to grind for the NV skill medals, that's just horseshit and the break bar is stupid.

It can be annoying yeah, but if you have a unit with the right weapon type, that can attack a lot of times per turn, it just strips away the bar in a single turn.
For the current one, it's weak to bows, swords and rods (and one more forgot), so I just use white mage rosa with her arrow barrage skill. Then I just blast it with fire from emperor and a friend NV aerith.
Before the bar goes up again I just cast reraise with yoshikiri and repeat.

Pejo

It can be annoying yeah, but if you have a unit with the right weapon type, that can attack a lot of times per turn, it just strips away the bar in a single turn.
For the current one, it's weak to bows, swords and rods (and one more forgot), so I just use white mage rosa with her arrow barrage skill. Then I just blast it with fire from emperor and a friend NV aerith.
Before the bar goes up again I just cast reraise with yoshikiri and repeat.
I wasn't playing when White Mage Rosa was given out, so all the strategies that say to use her are just kinda useless for me, but yea I get the general concept. I just don't feel like grinding those stages.

Shouta

Good news is that there'll be a way to get those Limit Event Units again using Star Quartz. It'll be down the line though unfortunately.

However, if you get a new featured unit, they often come with a break skill for a certain weapon type, which is usually the weakness of their Insignia/thingie fight. I don't know if Gabranth has one though.

Pejo

Good news is that there'll be a way to get those Limit Event Units again using Star Quartz. It'll be down the line though unfortunately.

However, if you get a new featured unit, they often come with a break skill for a certain weapon type, which is usually the weakness of their Insignia/thingie fight. I don't know if Gabranth has one though.
That's awesome! I have so much SQ just sitting there, and there were a few units that I really wanted that were given away for free.

Reizo Ryuu

I wasn't playing when White Mage Rosa was given out, so all the strategies that say to use her are just kinda useless for me, but yea I get the general concept. I just don't feel like grinding those stages.
Would you prefer if I put up my white mage rosa then?
If you have strong chainers and a fire imbue, you should be able to clear it in 2-3 turns pretty easy then; gives you at least one easy clear per day.

Pejo

Would you prefer if I put up my white mage rosa then?
If you have strong chainers and a fire imbue, you should be able to clear it in 2-3 turns pretty easy then; gives you at least one easy clear per day.
Cool of you to offer, but nah. I've just been leveling all of my NV units skills to +2 and calling it a day. I have so much to do in the game already, grinding those stages aren't that important to me just yet, especially since they work on rotation. Once I figure out which NV units I actually want to invest it, I'll worry about farming the medals then.

The only NV units I've been really impressed with so far are Tifa and Loren. Elena was a huge letdown personally because her kit is so boring, and Cloud too. I am probably going to properly build out Gabranth later at some point, but not now.

Pejo

Nice, NVA Nalu is coming thursday; she's pretty powerful like Tifa, but she is locked to lightning.
I think i have 3 or 4 Nalu at this point, but probably won't NV her. I got Firion off a ticket on his banner, but I don't want to waste the 5k lapis to Ex awaken him. I honestly hate the current implementation of NV units. Everything has so much currency and different systems just to build a fucking unit. This game feels like a chore right now, so I'm down into "burn 5 orbs, do 1 daily farm of MK event, log off". Unless this is the only game you play, mobile or otherwise, I don't understand how they expect you to grind and keep track of all of this shit. I still haven't even tried a single DV stage, after reading about how long it takes to build units and gear them, and you need to do it for multiple elements. Fuck that.

If the optimize button actually was worth a damn, maybe, but not when it gives me about 1.5k less ATK than the real optimized build for ATK.

Are people actually enjoying this level of grind introduced since NV?

Reizo Ryuu

I don't actually do DV, because I can't be bothered gearing my units.
The rest seems fine to me, I don't actually do the stuff I'm not interested in, haven't even done the daily ff12 mission even once.
Right now I'm just focussed on having at least 20k lapis for when halloween rolls around, so I don't bother with NV fragment bundles either.

Shouta

DV isn't so bad once you get a simple team that you can just rotate equipment on, at least for physical units but yeah, DV is a pain in the butt for magic units. >=|

Reizo Ryuu

Halloween incoming fellas.
I fucking hope Lilith is one of the units getting NVA next week, though I can see them not giving lilith and karten NVA since they are still useful.

Pejo

The new unit's CG looks good, but good luck getting her with no step ups or pity mechanic. I would be really happy if Lilith got the NVA upgrade, I still use her in my arena team sorry!

Reizo Ryuu

Lilith and kryla are my staple units, so I'm really hoping she gets it next week (and kryla during christmas).
It's prolly just going to be rain/laswell/sakura though :lollipop_crying:.

Pejo

Lilith and kryla are my staple units, so I'm really hoping she gets it next week (and kryla during christmas).
It's prolly just going to be rain/laswell/sakura though :lollipop_crying:.
Of all units in the game, I still hope Esther gets something good out of NVA. Her enhancements were awful, and she was one of my favorite units in the game alongside OG Elena. Good, versatile, and easy/straightforward kits. But yea Kryla is a beast after enhancements, she'd be a good NVA candidate.

Top Bottom