• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy is going through a Midlife Identity Crisis - Opinion

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don’t care about “needing” them. They can still look way better and I like my eye candy. That + XVI isn’t nearly impressive enough to omit them.

Though I’m sure everyone stanning this game like it’s the reincarnation of Jesus would completely change their tune if the game was confirmed to have CG cutscenes.
No one is doing this. Don't create strawman arguments because your demands are silly and pointless in modern day gaming.

Tbh I asked the XVI Instagram account “where are the CG cutscenes” and they liked my comment so I HAVE BEEN HEARD lol

Edit: I will also just want to point out that I genuinely think this game will be phenomenal. I just really really really really like my CG cutscenes and with FF it’s an expectation.
No, it isn't. Hasn't been for a long while.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No one is doing this. Don't create strawman arguments because your demands are silly and pointless in modern day gaming.

No, it isn't. Hasn't been for a long while.
Most devs stopped using CG, I personally dont care for them, most of the time they look way too different than in game models.
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

To me its waste of time and space and majority of people are happy with in game models.

I don’t care about “needing” them. They can still look way better and I like my eye candy. That + XVI isn’t nearly impressive enough to omit them.

Though I’m sure everyone stanning this game like it’s the reincarnation of Jesus would completely change their tune if the game was confirmed to have CG cutscenes.

Tbh I asked the XVI Instagram account “where are the CG cutscenes” and they liked my comment so I HAVE BEEN HEARD lol

Edit: I will also just want to point out that I genuinely think this game will be phenomenal. I just really really really really like my CG cutscenes and with FF it’s an expectation.
You will probably get one at the beginning or the end of the game but I wouldn't expect much. Yoshi P largely wants what you see to be representative of the game you will be playing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Most devs stopped using CG, I personally dont care for them, most of the time they look way too different than in game models.
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

To me its waste of time and space and majority of people are happy with in game models.

Yep. It made sense during the PS1 and PS2 era as 3D Models weren't high quality enough to fully express the emotions or animations required for pivotal scenes.

That was not the case for the PS3, PS4, or today. It's a waste of resources and adds nothing to the game, if anything it makes it jarring when you switch from in-game to cg and back.

The only time CG is acceptable is if it is a CGI Opening Movie like in Kingdom Hearts.

Lokaum D+

I've seen some people complain about the summons and flashness but IMO they are totally in line with the older game.
tfBzVQ.gif

auXsA7J.gif

Except instead of watching the same static animation over and over again they are now part of playable and dynamic real time fights.
i ll say this, FFXV at this time, is the best FF game that has handled summons as they supposed to be, incredible beings of immense power that come to ur aid and deliver, no other FF comes any close to what XV did imo.

Is not like Gigaflare from the space that do 5k damage and dont kill ( i never liked that )

Lets see how FFXVI ll handle summon in normal combat, it ll have some kind of over the top invocation or just the "lend me your strength" in combat.

Last edited:

kevm3

FF16 looks to be one of the best FF's of all time if it keeps up what was shown in those trailers. If that's confusion, I'm all for it. The FF game with Jack is one of the best final fantasy spinoffs as well. Square is going in the right direction.

Danjin44

FF16 looks to be one of the best FF's of all time if it keeps up what was shown in those trailers. If that's confusion, I'm all for it. The FF game with Jack is one of the best final fantasy spinoffs as well. Square is going in the right direction.
We have games like Yakuza: Like a Dragon which is mainline game that has completely different combat system but guess what still is Yakuza game. FFXVI is no different, it has different combat system to past games but still Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:
I completely agree. CG scenes are a hallmark FF trait. I can't imagine playing an FF game and not be occasionally treated with a visual marvel of CG animations. SE has some of the best CG animators in the world. It would be a shame for them not to utilize that talent.
Some might cite that “XV barely had any,” but that was due to the story changes + the 111 minute CG movie. But even then, I’d say that mid-game CG cutscene that XV had was the best-directed and most beautiful cutscene in the game, by far. And with VIIR, even though some people don’t like how the characters looked different, tons of people praised the Shinra Theater cutscene, and for good reason. It was gorgeous and a ton of things were going on all at once.

SE’s CG studio is confirmed to be involved with the game, but it’s honestly unclear to what extent. They were only mentioned in one interview and it’s in Japanese. There’s definitely cutscenes with “background pre-rendered elements,” which the CG team helped with, but according to some people that know Japanese, this interview implied/confirmed some CG cutscenes, but as of June 2022 the CG character models were still being worked on? It’s honestly unclear and a bit strange that it conflicts with some interviews that they’ve had in English where they implied that the game is all in-engine and in real-time.

C1dxVIP.jpg

I’d also post 2 Twitter accounts of people that know Japanese that stated that “Takeshi Nozue is directing the CG cutscenes” but Neogaf doesn’t allow me to upload images that are above 1 MB for some reason.

WHAT IS THE TRUTH

Fbh

i ll say this, FFXV at this time, is the best FF game that has handled summons as they supposed to be, incredible beings of immense power that come to ur aid and deliver, no other FF comes any close to what XV did imo.

Is not like Gigaflare from the space that do 5k damage and dont kill ( i never liked that )

Lets see how FFXVI ll handle summon in normal combat, it ll have some kind of over the top invocation or just the "lend me your strength" in combat.

The Summons in FXV were definitely visually spectacular.
But mechanically I never liked the implementation, from what I remember they basically trigger at random usually when you are low on health. And ultimately they are still just a cool animation.
Also they were really clunky to fight against, both the Titan and Leviathan fights in XV are some of the worst in the game.

Personally I liked their implementation in 7Remake.
It's not as visually striking but I like that the Summons stay around and fight for a while, you can also have them use various abilities and when their time runs out the exit with a cool attack and animation

XV so far also seems cool in that you get to physically control at least Ifrit, and the battles against them look awesome.
I do however wonder if there's some sort to use summons in regular battles too, maybe some sort of overdrive attack.

Lokaum D+

The Summons in FXV were definitely visually spectacular.
But mechanically I never liked the implementation, from what I remember they basically trigger at random usually when you are low on health. And ultimately they are still just a cool animation.
Also they were really clunky to fight against, both the Titan and Leviathan fights in XV are some of the worst in the game.

Personally I liked their implementation in 7Remake.
It's not as visually striking but I like that the Summons stay around and fight for a while, you can also have them use various abilities and when their time runs out the exit with a cool attack and animation

XV so far also seems cool in that you get to physically control at least Ifrit, and the battles against them look awesome.
I do however wonder if there's some sort to use summons in regular battles too, maybe some sort of overdrive attack.

im no talking about visual spectacular, im talking about what the definition of a summon should be ( or it is for me ) and a summon should be a powefull being that comes to ur aid once ur life is in danger and thats exactly what they are on XV, i too dont like the randominess of XV summons, but like i said imo is the best implementation so far.

FF7R summons implementation is no really that new, its like FFX or FFXIII but more "dynamic", the only difference drom FF7R to FFX and FFXIII is that the summons dont walk around, but u have a set of skills that u can use and a limit break to dispell the summon.

It's pretty ridiculous when u summon a being like Ifrit and he does 32 Damage to a enemy and for those who played FF7R hard VR mission know that summons in this game are pretty much useless

I ll prefer any given day the "spectacular" of FFXV cause summons finally has a meaning on the game lore, they are not just Pokemons that battle beside u doing close to no significant damage that a limit break wouldnt do.

Last edited:

Danjin44

It's pretty ridiculous when u summon a being like Ifrit and he does 32 Damage to a enemy and for those who played FF7R hard VR mission know that summons in this game are pretty much useless
I also played on hard, I would say summons like Bahamut and Leviathan are useful because they do none-elemental damage, with Ifrit his useful against enemies who are weak against fire.

Last edited:
Even though I'm more of a traditionalist, I think FF16's combat looks much better than 15's bizarre system. If they need to drop all pretense of maintaining some traditional elements in order to achieve a better combat system then so be it. I think the move towards full on action actually makes more sense then, unless they stuck with ff7 remakes combat and just tried to iterate on that, but they probably felt like having ff7r sequel and ff16 having identical systems would be too much.

Maybe for FF17 we can get a return to some kind of overhauled turn based system. By the time that comes out what's old might be new again. Turn based isn't inherently bad or boring. Bim sure eventually some dev will come along with some great ideas on how to improve and evolve turn based combat. Persona and SMT have good turn based combat systems- it can be done.

Lokaum D+

I played on hard, I would summons like Bahamut and Leviathan because they do none-elemental damage, with Ifrit his useful against enemies who are weak to fire.
U see, is 10x faster ( or more ) to cast Aeris Arcane Ward then cast a Firaga All and by the time Ifrit is summoned everyone is already dead or a Blizaga to pretty must insta stagger an enemy or all enemies that are weak to ice.

like this ( and its no hard to pull out something like this ), summons a pretty much just on slot for their stats.

*look at the first comment at this video lmao

and of course u can use them to fight, the only thing is that fights ll just drag forever, but who am i to say how do u play your game.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I just wanted to say that OP is right.

Squeenix, in their sheer incompetence has given up on making Final Fantasy games.

Now they just want to make generic AAA cinematic action game no. 234235 and add a "Final Fantasy" label for marketing reasons.
They want their own 20+ million selling franchise, but are too incompetent to pull it off.

“Final Fantasy has always been about change. No game is ever similar to the previous one.”

This, my fine gentlemen, is one of the most stupid phrases anyone who has played multiple Final Fantasy games could hear.
There is also the "turn-based is archaic, Final Devil May Witcher of Thrones 16 is the natural evolution of things".

Meanwhile, turn-based Pokemon is selling 20+ million copies every release.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I just wanted to say that OP is right.

Squeenix, in their sheer incompetence has given up on making Final Fantasy games.

Now they just want to make generic AAA cinematic action game no. 234235 and add a "Final Fantasy" label for marketing reasons.
They want their own 20+ million selling franchise, but are too incompetent to pull it off.

There is also the "turn-based is archaic, Final Devil May Witcher of Thrones 16 is the natural evolution of things".

Meanwhile, turn-based Pokemon is selling 20+ million copies every release.
If FF16 was turnbased I wasn’t gonna buy it

Dev1lXYZ

Having played Final Fantasy since it's release on NES, the series jumped the shark at Final Fantasy VII. Every release since has had diminishing returns. 13 being the worst of the lot to me.

I still buy them though. 😂

I feel like you could’ve made the exact same arguments about this series ever since Final Fantasy 11, back in 2006. The last traditional FF was X. I’m not understanding why the core identity is really any less clear or muddy now vs them going from making a traditional numbered entry, then just going straight into an MMO

Top Bottom