• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy is my mental breakdown

Final Fantasy taught where North West East and South is.

I remember being a kid, being told to go North west of a map from a location and just going "what the hell is North west?"

I called my mom while she was at work and had to ask her because I was just 7 years old at the time.

I love Final Fantasy for all the great memories as a young child, I just wish I'd feel fondly about their recent entries.

Final Fantasy X was my first FF game. I will never forget the amazing music, gameplay, world, visuals and monsters design. Oh and of course great story.

Auron and Lulu are my favorite. When I was a kid my parents bought me a ps2 with 2 games FF X and State of Emergency. I was 11 years old. I miss the old simple times. Too bad FF15 was an insult to the fans. Hopefully FF16 is back to the roots.
FF XV has one of the best endings ever though

FFXV wasn't an insult. Like every othe FF it was great in its own way.
FF XV was not an FF game sorry dude. Agree to disagree. It only sold well because of the name. Tabata butcherd the original Nomura's vision, cut a ton of story and stella wasn't there anymore. The towns in that game were also horrible and lack luster.

Game itself was good on its own, but it was NOT a good Final Fantasy game

Last edited:

Tschumi

I wish i could agree with ur post, OP, but i have never successfully gotten into a FF game. I think the closest i got has been FF12:TZA.. i like the setting, the combat style, the characters, but i find the plot a bit ambiguous at points and sometimes feel lost.. i don't like the leveling system... also i hear that i was supposed to grind those respawning undead mobs on that bridge and i don't want to go back so i feel permanently underpowered.. one day i want to finish it though because the story does seem to have a lot of depth and intrigue...

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
One of my fave game series and one where every release feels like an *event*, I feel genuine joy when starting up a new FF wondering what wonderful sights I'll see and interesting characters I'll meet. It is very much an emotional experience.

One thing I find irritating about the FF fandom is some fans shitting all over certain releases. Sure, we all have our favourites but personally I love EVERY FF I've played and always welcome Square experimenting with new ideas/mechanics with each release. Whether it be the open-world boys trip of FFXV or more colourful but linear offerings like XII and XIII. The medieval wonderland of IX (shout out to my boy Vivi!) or the glorious, industrial world of the masterpiece known as FFVII, I'm there for it all.

Can't wait for FFXVI, love that they are going back to a more medieval aesthetic. After the first trailer I said this *has to be* a Matsuno led game. Alas it isn't but I'm getting that same energy and stylistic vibe, I know they will deliver.

FF XV was not an FF game sorry dude. Agree to disagree. It only sold well because of the name. Tabata butcherd the original Nomura's vision, cut a ton of story and stella wasn't there anymore. The towns in that game were also horrible and lack luster.

I dislike XV as much as you, but I don't blame Tabata at all.

He was put into a situation where he had very little time to make sense of everything.

Imagine being asked to complete a task that has been pending for yeeaaaars and then being told "do this, and get it out in two years. No matter what."

Not only that, an open world AAA Japanese rpg - the first of it's kind for the FF series.

Buying that game at launch was one of my very few regrettable purchases of my life. Felt scammed by the end of it.

But idk if I can blame Tabata solely for the debacle on how content was cut, bullshit like "you can't control all characters because reasons" and then only to allow it a year later as a DLC, and myriad of things I disliked about it.

Royal Edition made the game a good FF game, I stand by this statement

Go_Ly_Dow

Favourite series for sure. XIII and XV are insults to the series.

I have warmed to XII, but still doesn't deliver the same magic.

Never played XIV..

VIIR made me happy and am looking forward to more.

Am hopeful for XVI too and eager for its second showing.

I dislike XV as much as you, but I don't blame Tabata at all.

He was put into a situation where he had very little time to make sense of everything.

Imagine being asked to complete a task that has been pending for yeeaaaars and then being told "do this, and get it out in two years. No matter what."

Not only that, an open world AAA Japanese rpg - the first of it's kind for the FF series.

Buying that game at launch was one of my very few regrettable purchases of my life. Felt scammed by the end of it.

But idk if I can blame Tabata solely for the debacle on how content was cut, bullshit like "you can't control all characters because reasons" and then only to allow it a year later as a DLC, and myriad of things I disliked about it.
I think the management at square is the one to blame then. They put Nomura on KH3 and sadly that game wasn't good either and had a lot of questionable story decisions. Square during the PS3 and 360 were at their downfall imo. Thankfully, with FF7 Remake they earned my trust back and I have high hopes for FF16.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Hopefully no more turn based system.

Brush Haters GIF by EL DUSTY

FFXV is the best unfinished game i've ever played.
There, i said it.

I played the Royal Edition (after all updates had been released), all DLCs, watched the damn movie, the anime episodes...everything.

What a ride.

Frustrating as hell because the potential was actually incredible. And there was one very specific city into the game that you could tell they made a lot of assets and places we never got to visit.

Final Fantasy XIII...i remember a character called Lightning because they included her everywhere and corridors. That's it. It sucked. I don't even remember what it was about. I know that for you to understand the game's plot you need to read pages and pages of logs they got in there. Terrible.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The narrative that final fantasy is it’s appreciated but constantly nippicked, the goal post is moved constantly FF7 Remake answers many questions can the combat become better, and it’s yes.

cireza

Banned
I loved FFX, the FXIII trilogy and XV the most. I have also played most of the older games, starting with the very first one. Great series.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I love every new FF more than all the ones that came before. This one puts me in a very delicate position with the fanbase as you can understand. I risk my life everyday.

Anyway best series ever and the sole reason why I still game with passion today. All the other games are just fillers between one main release and the other.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

Royal Edition made the game a good FF game, I stand by this statement
so several DLC and a RErelease later and it finally is a good game? Some of us did not wait for SE to get their shit together and got burned bad on launch day that asked

Buy the DVD movie To under stand the opening
Buy the comics to understand the brotherhood these 4 guys feel
Buy the books to understand motivations of characters and antagonists
Buy the game to play the ultimate experience
Buy the DLC to expand on the experience

Only then can you get the full true vision experience. Yea fuck that.

Spaceman292

Banned
13 at least had fun combat. XV had uhhh… 🤷‍♂️
Oh right I loved pressing auto battle every single turn for 30 hours that was mega fun.

15 just had a fast, dynamic melee of backflipping, teleporting, dodging, parrying and magical grenades. Boooriiing.

Last edited:
I think the management at square is the one to blame then. They put Nomura on KH3 and sadly that game wasn't good either and had a lot of questionable story decisions. Square during the PS3 and 360 were at their downfall imo. Thankfully, with FF7 Remake they earned my trust back and I have high hopes for FF16.
Yeaaah, let's just say that era of SE (FFXIII, KH3, FFXV) was just a bunch of bs and lunacy.

I hope SE gets a Capcom type comeback soon, they're really starting to implode big time with some of their decisions.

iQuasarLV

Yeaaah, let's just say that era of SE (FFXIII, KH3, FFXV) was just a bunch of bs and lunacy.

I hope SE gets a Capcom type comeback soon, they're really starting to implode big time with some of their decisions.
You might be getting that. With the success of FFxiv passing 24 million reigstered users, and Yoshi P being put in charge of FFxvi you may see a resurgence of what made SE a power house.

You might be getting that. With the success of FFxiv passing 24 million reigstered users, and Yoshi P being put in charge of FFxvi you may see a resurgence of what made SE a power house.
*Looks at FF: Strangers at Paradise, and Avengers*

Jack Black Smile GIF

Sigh. We'll see.

iQuasarLV

*Whoops. Double post.

Reported for deletion.
That is the SE publishing house. Not SE the developer house. Two different divisions. SE-P only sets timelines for the SE-D teams to finish by and which games get the green light for development.
Avengers = Crystal Dynamics
Strangers... = Team Ninja > Koei Tecmo

I say you cannot fault the SE-D teams for business decisions made by SE-P to finance those houses.

My dad died shortly before the original FFVII came out on PlayStation and a very good friend of mine at the time bought it for me because he’d read that it was an engrossing story that would take me hours and that if I wanted to, it could probably take some of the nightmare of what was happening in my real life.

I admit I threw myself into that game, levelling up every character and getting away from the real world.

It didn’t take the raw pain away but it helped and for that I am forever grateful for Final Fantasy VII.
I’m sorry for your loss.. it’s so wonderful how FFVII could help you through something like that. But I can understand, you got the game at a hard time in your life and the game is truly something special. ❤️

Final Fantasy is what got me into gaming as a hobby instead of casually playing Mario and sports games. I have a sincere fondness for 1-12, 11 is probably my favorite gaming experience of all time, but from 13 onwards they really lost me. I used to be able to buy anything with Final Fantasy on the box sight unseen and have a great time, now it's almost synonymous with disaster. Even remakes and stuff of that nature aren't safe anymore. They keep changing vital components of the games such as story, gameplay, etc - and it feels like a completely different genre/series.

I'm not too bitter about it anymore, though I used to be. Now I can just accept that I got 12 great games, a few fun spinoffs, and leave it at that.
I can understand, but I disagree, I actually liked the later games! 🙈 Not FFXV, loved parts of it, but damn it had so many missing parts! The older games are a little special 💗

Final Fantasy X was my first FF game. I will never forget the amazing music, gameplay, world, visuals and monsters design. Oh and of course great story.

Auron and Lulu are my favorite. When I was a kid my parents bought me a ps2 with 2 games FF X and State of Emergency. I was 11 years old. I miss the old simple times. Too bad FF15 was an insult to the fans. Hopefully FF16 is back to the roots.
It was my first too, such a beautiful game and it’s so special to me ❤️
Yes, I really hope ffxvi will be good, because it looks good!

One of my fave game series and one where every release feels like an *event*, I feel genuine joy when starting up a new FF wondering what wonderful sights I'll see and interesting characters I'll meet. It is very much an emotional experience.

One thing I find irritating about the FF fandom is some fans shitting all over certain releases. Sure, we all have our favourites but personally I love EVERY FF I've played and always welcome Square experimenting with new ideas/mechanics with each release. Whether it be the open-world boys trip of FFXV or more colourful but linear offerings like XII and XIII. The medieval wonderland of IX (shout out to my boy Vivi!) or the glorious, industrial world of the masterpiece known as FFVII, I'm there for it all.

Can't wait for FFXVI, love that they are going back to a more medieval aesthetic. After the first trailer I said this *has to be* a Matsuno led game. Alas it isn't but I'm getting that same energy and stylistic vibe, I know they will deliver.
Definitely, I’m the same, loved every FF game I’ve experienced for different reasons and I have favorites! I have hope for ffxvi 💗

Outlier

Thank you for this, @ Finsksvenskan Finsksvenskan

I feel similarly about the strong connection some of the FF OSTs have, on me. Brings back certain memories and sensations that I haven't felt, for so long.

FF is a blessing to the industry.

FFXV is the best unfinished game i've ever played.
There, i said it.

I played the Royal Edition (after all updates had been released), all DLCs, watched the damn movie, the anime episodes...everything.

What a ride.

Frustrating as hell because the potential was actually incredible. And there was one very specific city into the game that you could tell they made a lot of assets and places we never got to visit.

Final Fantasy XIII...i remember a character called Lightning because they included her everywhere and corridors. That's it. It sucked. I don't even remember what it was about. I know that for you to understand the game's plot you need to read pages and pages of logs they got in there. Terrible.
I liked ffxv but I feel there was so much missing, but I still have some wonderful memories from it 💚

I will NEVER play FF 13, but I did watch a 10 HOUR cutscene "movie" of it, years ago. Ridiculous...

But one thing is for sure. The music is fantastic! I binged on it for a time, years ago.
Haha, I understand why people don’t like the game and the following ones, they aren’t perfect 😂 But I absolutely love the story, music and characters! The gameplay can be annoying, haha. Still very special to me and I didn’t think they would effect me as much as they did

Ev1L AuRoN

Love the franchise, FF VII introduce me to JRPG's, after that I went berserk playing everything I can put my hands on. I owe to them a lot of great memories, even though the franchise had its ups and downs, I always play every new game that they put out, for me it is my world cup. It's always an event.

Nezzeroth

I have high expectations for FFXVI. After falling out with the series after X, XIV really clicked in all the right ways. For me Yoshi-P and his team are the future of the franchise.

so several DLC and a RErelease later and it finally is a good game? Some of us did not wait for SE to get their shit together and got burned bad on launch day that asked

Buy the DVD movie To under stand the opening
Buy the comics to understand the brotherhood these 4 guys feel
Buy the books to understand motivations of characters and antagonists
Buy the game to play the ultimate experience
Buy the DLC to expand on the experience

Only then can you get the full true vision experience. Yea fuck that.
Hey man I followed the game from the Versus Reveal days. If there’s anyone that gets it, it’s me. Original was just meh but Royal was actually a good game.

U don’t need to watch Kingslaive or the anime to understand what’s going on but they certainly enhanced the experience

KrakenIPA

Some people like Final Fantasy Tactics more than any other FF. It's the game I've played the more than any other game, by a large margin. To me it never relinquished it's title as the best game among all games.

I liked ffxv but I feel there was so much missing, but I still have some wonderful memories from it 💚
They literally killed off one of the mail villains off screen initially. They went back and re-did that part, lmao.

Speaking of which, this villain is one of the most promising ones in the franchise and deserved better in my opinion.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I've been into the FF franchise for a while now, they lost me at 13, but I came back for FFXV and FF7R. Enjoyed both for what they were but I expected more.

Then gave FFXIV another go and am in love with it, from the storytelling in ShB to the soundtrack, the game is just amazing (still working on my first resistance weapon though!)

I found myself buying the recent pixel remasters of FF1 through FF4 and replaying them now during my FFXIV downtimes.

So yes, +1 to that FF love.

They literally killed off one of the mail villains off screen initially. They went back and re-did that part, lmao.

Speaking of which, this villain is one of the most promising ones in the franchise and deserved better in my opinion.
Haha, that was so weird, how he suddenly was killed 😂 he really had some potential, as you said!

Top Bottom