• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V Thread

Krathoon

I was toying around with Final Fantasy V. Since the pixel remaster was buggy, I played some of the PS1 version and the GBA version. I like the GBA version more. It has the better intro.
So, let's delve into FFV.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm a big FFV fan and I think it just got eclipsed by FFIV , FFVI , and FFVII.
I, however, prefer FFV over FFIV, and I even prefer the plot and soundtrack of FFV over those of FFIV.

As for the characters, I felt that they were less annoyingly pigeonholed in part because you could change their character classes, and I guess they had more basic characterization to reflect this. So, you never had, say, Lenna the princess who sucks at fighting but is stuck with being an animal-mancer and white mage or something.

As for the plot, it was much more straightforward and well-organized and compact than FFIV's, which I felt tried to do too much and had a few crazy plot twists too many, so it felt like a rough attempt at coming up with an interesting fantasy story.

As for the soundtrack, I...well, I prefer FFV's over FFIV and even after spending several hours playing both games, something about FFV's score resonates with me more.

kunonabi

I could never get into V. Didn't like the story or characters that much and it took way too damn long to master a job so I never got around to having any fun messing with character builds either.

Mabdia

The only problem with V is that there is no Celes around here. Jokes aside, V is a hell of a game.

Conan really did not like FFXV.

Well... me neither. And I can't even blame the development hell. The same goes for the reboot of VII. This video is the best time that I've spent with XV. I just can't manage to like an action Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

kunonabi

The only problem with V is that there is no Celes around here. Jokes aside, V is a hell of a game.

Well... me neither. And I can't even blame the development hell. The same goes for the reboot of VII. This video is the best time that I've spent with XV. I just can't manage to like an action Final Fantasy.
I couldn't even get far enough along to hate the combat. The excessive product placement and insipid anime writing just sunk it almost immediately.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love V but you're right, it's the worst of the Pixel Remasters. I think it's because they made the first four games in this game's style. Then when this game released it was like... not much changed.

The music is, of course, the best part. Legendary.

Krathoon

Somehow, three people ride on a chocobo at the beginning. The game makes it look like they are riding inside the chocobo. They disappear.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I beat this a long time ago in Final Fantasy Anthology on PS1. I remember bits and pieces from it, but the ending is stuck in my mind. I’ve thought about playing it again. I own that terrible looking port they did for mobile from years back. I could just replay it on my Vita using the PS Classic version. Yeah, the Chocobos always stuck with me over the years.

Thaedolus

Incredibly underrated game, and when I showed my buddy a fan translation in the late 90s he couldn’t wrap his head around the fact it was Final Fantasy V and had worse graphics than “III,” until VII came out and…

Anyway, great game, easily as good as the other SNES era titles

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I played the ps1 version when it came out in the US. I don't remember if that or ff7 was my first final fantasy but I loved it. Story wasn't the most complex but everything else was perfection

Top Bottom