• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XVI and Silent Hill 2 Remake can only be released on Xbox if Sony allows it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar¢tos

People complaining about 3rd party exclusivity should also consider that in some cases, it's the developer's/publisher's fault.
Many times it's them that offer exclusive content to the platform holders in exchange for funding or marketing help, this happened a lot with the previous gen and usually those offers are made first to the platform with the bigger install base.
In other cases there is no paid exclusivity, developers just lack motivation to do ports for specific platforms.
Like FF16, why would Square spend the time, money and resources making a Xbox version when FF15 console sales were 1 out every 5 for that console, and that money/resources/time can be used in making the game better for the platforms that had better sales in previous installments?
Platform holders don't usually do things out of spite for the competition, they are not angry teenagers, they do it because the opportunities present themselves and make financial sense.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
The numbers I used was for console sales (does not include PC), because GameIndustry shared console sales digital ratio earlier this week (71% digital).
PC is included for these sales, or else the total numbers would be low.

The numbers I used was for console sales (does not include PC), because GameIndustry shared console sales digital ratio earlier this week (71% digital).
And that data like I said, doesnt work for game sales. Free to play games makes that data unreliable.
So it cant be used on game sales.
When talking about overall digital ratio for Xbox, we don't know this number. We can't assume this number. In fact, this is "x" that we are calculating for.
Chris's UK data shows that.
Overall industry-wide physical sales are 29%, to be precise. Game's Industry shared this data earlier this week. So that's why I took that number; it wasn't my assumption.
Numbers would skew towards nintendo and PS, while Xbox have less numbers. It doesnt tell you the difference between xbox and PS. You need to take out Nintendo, and have only digital ratio for digital sales (Do not include digital only)
As mentioned above, the data GI shared earlier this week does not include PC, so we have a very clean set of digital data for console sales.
Which is full of error, when determing actual sales.
if we go by total data sales, then its PS (Physical+digital).
But if we go by digital only, you will need to find the total ratio, then divide that by digital ratio like that elden ring data.

Overall data depends on that equation, if we eliminate PC sales. But since 3rd party games sell on all, its hard to determine.

Skelterz

It’s amazing to me that Sony do this I own a PS5 so I’m not biased but I can’t believe the audacity of Sony to then go after Microsoft for buying Activision/Blizzard it’s just mad double standards.

Swift_Star

Banned
True. If that initial release was anything to go by they did not get enough. Essentially though, you grow your brand through exposure to more people. Reducing third party reach is not a sustainable long term strategy. If final fantasy AAA games are kept off Xbox for the next 20 years the brand has less reach and worth and that Sony money for exclusivity will get less and less.
FF has never needed to rely on Xbox for anything, though? Their userbase are on PS consoles since VII and they were on Nintendo before them. You have to realize Xbox is only relevant on US and UK and those that care about FF are not buying Xbox consoles.
FF is on PS, Switch and PC, the platforms that have worldwide reach. They don’t need Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Starfield….
Now STFU.
They both do it. Stop being disingenuous.

Moneyhatting games for a period of time is not the same as removing them completely from plattform.

How long is FFVIIR, XVI or SH2 being money hatted from Xbox ? Can you say with confidence that it isn't in perpetuity ?

None of us can. The end result is the same here, that franchises with existing entries on a platform are being money hatted away from it.

You're the person who tried to convince people that MS didn't take away the likes of Starfield because it was never confirmed for PlayStation. A game where it was going to sell the most on a console (probably any platform for that matter). Yeah, there's no self-reflection because I don't go around making arguments like this.

No, you really don't make any arguments, you spend the bulk of your time complaining about hypothetical things "xbox fans" have said or done, you're absolutely right 🤷‍♂️

quest

Not Banned from OT
People complaining about 3rd party exclusivity should also consider that in some cases, it's the developer's/publisher's fault.
Many times it's them that offer exclusive content to the platform holders in exchange for funding or marketing help, this happened a lot with the previous gen and usually those offers are made first to the platform with the bigger install base.
In other cases there is no paid exclusivity, developers just lack motivation to do ports for specific platforms.
Like FF16, why would Square spend the time, money and resources making a Xbox version when FF15 console sales were 1 out every 5 for that console, and that money/resources/time can be used in making the game better for the platforms that had better sales in previous installments?
Platform holders don't usually do things out of spite for the competition, they are not angry teenagers, they do it because the opportunities present themselves and make financial sense.

Really you mean sony didn't go asking for deals to content starve Microsoft and certain fans were happy?

Arsic

If I’ve learned anything about Microsoft over the years, they will invest in shit, then sell it or flush it down the toilet.

*cough* Mixer .

It’s going to be swell when they can’t afford all these studios and thousands will be jobless.

ikbalCO

Ughhh.

MS need to change their executives.

My god, they make dumb arguments.

How many units ff 7 remake and 16 sold, will sell?

12 mil max.

How do you compare that to a 25+ million selling, multiplayer online shooter.

zzill3

Banned
So lets say sony is buying
T2
Capcom
Swaure enix

Are you happy with xbox loosing like 30 ips permanently? Buying devs and pubs isn't the same. Why do people dont get it.

If Sony can afford to do that to improve content delivery for playstation owners then so be it. They already have done with a number of other developers and publishers and exclusivity deals, so I don’t see how this would be any different.
I wouldn’t expect Microsoft to try to lobby regulators to get those deals blocked, even though the loss of content to the company in third place would hurt a lot more than the loss of content to the company in first.

I would expect Microsoft to get new studios to make more games for xbox instead.

You guys get so desperate that you have to name Guerrilla Games. LOL

You're comparing acquiring Call of Duty and all their IPs to acquiring Guerrilla Games. You don't even remember which games they made before being acquired without looking at the wiki page.

It was one example, and I only needed one to prove the whole ‘Sony don’t buy developers and stop them from making games on Xbox’ narrative wrong.

nial

Gold Member
MS also had huge IPs but has shown again and again how bad they are at creating their own, needing to buy them after being created already like Halo, Gears, etc.
Halo? No, but Gears of War? Yes. It's actually quite funny to look at their current lineup and see how many of those IPs they didn't actually own.
Gears? Check.
Perfect Dark? Check.
Hellblade? Check.
Outer Worlds? Check.
Minecraft? Check.
Psychonauts? Check.
Battletoads? Check.
The Bard's Tale? Check.
Wasteland? Check.
Wolfenstein? Check.
Fallout? Check.
Elder Scrolls? Check.
Doom? Check.
The list just goes on.

OsirisBlack

Banned
As a diehard final fantasy myself. No matter how good both games are, Starfield is gonna be alot bigger. There is no comparison.

One of these games looks amazing graphically and the other looks to be amazing graphically, have an amazing story, and fun gameplay. I will let you decide which.

Acquisitions of big pubs are designed to try and compete against the constant 20 year onslaught of third party exclusives with all big pubs.

As I've argued in this thread, the net effect is the same thing. Sony gets to spend very little to lock up games. They don't have to pay the salary of third party developers. They just get to exploit their dominant position to lock out competitors from developing an audience. Just because they're the only one doing it now, doesn't mean others wont and it doesn't mean it wasn't beneficial to promoting competition against a dominant player in the market. And it doesn't mean consumers wont benefit.
I’m going to double down on this, I hope the Activision deal goes through. I can promise you it won’t end the way people think it will. That one simple deal going through means there is no regulation at all and anything can be bought. I can see Microsoft going for CD projekt red and making a move on Ubisoft immediately after it goes through.

Tencent will swoop in and buy everything that’s not nailed down.

Sony will lean hard on past relationships with Japanese companies like Capcom, SE, and from soft while probably buying Konami IP’s. I can also see them and Nintendo coming to some sort of agreement.

Microsoft’s answer to Sony trying to lock up all of Japan would be to buy Sega on a Tuesday no less.

None of this would be good for the industry but it would be fun to watch play out.

What surprises me is that no one points out that MS put themselves in that position.
I think everyone acknowledges MS mistakes on Xbox One pretty openly, even MS themselves. We see acquisitions happen when speed is required. Sony spent on acquisitions when PS1 started also. MS is close to starting from scratch after Xbox One so they spent big on acquisitions now after nearly closing the Xbox brand.

I'd argue though that now, acquisitions make better business sense than ever before. The time it takes to build a team is prohibitively long now. If you have an existing dev team that has shipped 10 games and made their own system for development, that's pretty valuable now when games take 5-7 years to make. Embracer, Tencent, Sony all see that now and are also acquiring. MS just jumped on it first.

Last edited:
How long is FFVIIR, XVI or SH2 being money hatted from Xbox ? Can you say with confidence that it isn't in perpetuity ?

None of us can. The end result is the same here, that franchises with existing entries on a platform are being money hatted away from it.

No, you really don't make any arguments, you spend the bulk of your time complaining about hypothetical things "xbox fans" have said or done, you're absolutely right 🤷‍♂️

Remember Tomb Raider? The Medium? Below? Cuphead? Ori? I can keep going.

Now fuck off with the disingenuous shit. All companies do this and it isn't an issue unless you are some broke-ass warrior who can't afford the other system. The mental gymnastics of you warriors is pathetic.

adamsapple

Remember Tomb Raider? The Medium? Below? Cuphead? Ori? I can keep going.

Holy shit talk about completely the wrong takeaway lol. Literally no one has said MS hadn't done that.

The fact that you guys still refer to the decade old tomb raider example is very telling on the current affairs.

Big franchises like final fantasy and silent Hill are being money hatted right now, not talking about something that happened a decade ago.

Games like Medium, Below don't come anywhere close to that in terms of name branding. It's the same reason the document doesn't mention names like Stray, Kena, Trails franchise and dozens more like that.

This really isn't a hard thing to comprehend but some of y'all I swear. Think with the hat off for a second before telling other to fuck off, Jesus :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Really you mean sony didn't go asking for deals to content starve Microsoft and certain fans were happy?

I wrote "MANY TIMES" , not "EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME".

I’m going to double down on this, I hope the Activision deal goes through. I can promise you it won’t end the way people think it will. That one simple deal going through means there is no regulation at all and anything can be bought. I can see Microsoft going for CD projekt red and making a move on Ubisoft immediately after it goes through.

Tencent will swoop in and buy everything that’s not nailed down.

Sony will lean hard on past relationships with Japanese companies like Capcom, SE, and from soft while probably buying Konami IP’s. I can also see them and Nintendo coming to some sort of agreement.

Microsoft’s answer to Sony trying to lock up all of Japan would be to buy Sega on a Tuesday no less.

None of this would be good for the industry but it would be fun to watch play out.
Mike Judge Kick GIF by Idiocracy

Last edited:
Holy shit talk about completely the wrong takeaway lol. Literally no one has said MS hadn't done that.

The fact that you guys still refer to the decade old tomb raider example is very telling on the current affairs.

Big franchises like final fantasy and silent Hill are being money hatted right now, not talking about something that happened a decade ago.

Games like Medium, Below don't come anywhere close to that in terms of name branding. It's the same reason the document doesn't mention names like Stray, Kena, Trails franchise and dozens more like that.

This really isn't a hard thing to comprehend but some of y'all I swear. Think with the hat off for a second before telling other to fuck off, Jesus :messenger_grinning_smiling:

"The completely wrong takeaway" I.E. Goalpost moving from you.

So yes, I will tell you to fuck off with the pathetic console warring because your plastic box manufacturer is getting criticized. I would say (and have said) the same thing to Sony, Ninty, and PC warriors.

gladdys

FF has never needed to rely on Xbox for anything, though? Their userbase are on PS consoles since VII and they were on Nintendo before them. You have to realize Xbox is only relevant on US and UK and those that care about FF are not buying Xbox consoles.
FF is on PS, Switch and PC, the platforms that have worldwide reach. They don’t need Xbox.
Never said they relied on Xbox.

Current Xbox gamers (who no doubt owned different consoles before and purchased final fantasy games) will buy final fantasy games, how much exclusion money is enough, to make the decision that is more profitable than those potential sales.

Regarding mindshare, I got two kids, they will never experience a final fantasy game and will probably never buy anything related to it, even if they had a gaming PC or PlayStation in the future. The original final fantasy 7 is my favourite game of all time, but is not something I can pass on, as I am not buying a PlayStation 5.

Mindshare is important and the effects of losing that reach into the collective consciousness/pop culture, won’t be felt straight away, but it will.

Anyways, my point is, Sony are not pro consumer, not pro gaming, not your friend and are out to make money like anyone else.

The way that Jim Ryan has been putting himself about crying to different agencies is beyond pathetic when you consider the strategies they employ and the hypocrisy of it all. He does a good job of personifying what they are all about. They can give it but they can’t take it.

adamsapple

"The completely wrong takeaway" I.E. Goalpost moving from you.

So yes, I will tell you to fuck off with the pathetic console warring because your plastic box manufacturer is getting criticized. I would say (and have said) the same thing to Sony, Ninty, and PC warriors.

My god buddy, relax, don't blow a gasket over this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No one in this topic has said MS doesn't money hat, that's something you pulled out of your ass. Along with the decade old examples and smaller scope games, that is literally not the point of the topic in the first place. It's talking about big named franchises. Below, Cuphead and Ori are not. And 2 of them already have PS releases and 1 is published by MS.

You really don't want to start a list war here, you'll lose.

A.Romero

I wonder if Sony money hatted Sony so Bloodborne doesn't release on PS5 either...

OT: What's the news here? Exclusivity is BS and it has been a part of the industry since there was any competition. Microsoft used to do it too but it goes against their overall (IMO better) strategy.

My god buddy, relax, don't blow a gasket over this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No one in this topic has said MS doesn't money hat, that's something you pulled out of your ass. Along with the decade old examples and smaller scope games, that is literally not the point of the topic in the first place. It's talking about big named franchises. Below, Cuphead and Ori are not. And 2 of them already have PS releases and 1 is published by MS.

You really don't want to start a list war here, you'll lose.
Sure Jan GIF

course diss GIF

OsirisBlack

Banned
Elder Scrolls 6 is a MS IP, they paid Bethesda to make it......
So, by your logic then it should be ok for ES6 to be exclusive.
Elder scrolls is the IP it was NOT exclusive before the deal. It’s the sixth installment of that IP. What the fuck am I reading.

Sony created the BloodBorne IP, Microsoft did not create the Elder Scrolls IP. These are not similar events.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom