• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XVI and Silent Hill 2 Remake can only be released on Xbox if Sony allows it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So how does that differ from any other exclusive deal? I'm sure we would see games like Sunset Overdrive release on PlayStation if Microsoft allows it.
Because just like games like Bloodborne, Microsoft asked Insomniac Games to make the game for Xbox and MS published the game. FFXVI and FFVIIR in other hand is not being develop or even published by Sony, they just giving money in order keep the game console exclusive.

bitbydeath

Because just like games like Bloodborne, Microsoft asked Insomniac Games to make the game for Xbox and MS published the game. FFXVI and FFVIIR in other hand is not being develop or even published by Sony, they just giving money in order keep the game console exclusive.
Animated GIF

Correction they gave them a SIGNIFICANT amount of money to keep it exclusive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony went back and re-negotiated the deal after Microsoft bought Bethesda. The worst thing that could happen to them at this point is not only losing all the big WRPG”s but losing the big JRPG’s as well.

Sony is smart to strengthen their biggest partnerships. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony and SE are already in agreement for them to buy stake in their studios they mentioned earlier this year.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sony also pays to keep them off pc. There is no reason for ff7 remake or ff 16 to not be out on pc day one besides Sony trying to have a monopoly. Someone should cry to the governments! 😭

Kataploom

Gold Member
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Does Sony own square or something?

For those who think this is series, nope, just poking fun here. Game is timed exclusive. nothing more. It will come to xbox eventually.
As FF7R and SFV did, you're right pal, too much drama surrounding.

Now seriously, we knew Sony was doing that shit on a disproportionate way to Xbox, to the point I even started empathizing with Xbox... Fucking Xbox of all brands lol

Jormatar

So nothing is really different lol? In every case a company paid another company money to keep their developed game off another platform.

I know people aren’t going to like to hear this, but I highly doubt any of these games would have sold well on the XBOX anyway and the statistics prove it. I’m sure these exclusivity deals annoy gamers, but no one forced SquareEnix or other companies to sign these deals with Sony. The third parties probably knew that most of the fan base for their games were on the PlayStation which made signing the exclusivity deals easier and more tempting.

Kilau

Seems like the typical 3rd party exclusivity deals most of us have hated for years, regardless of who’s doing them.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The constant whimpering for the past year. God I hate this deal. Make it go through and shut up.
Now suddenly each party plays weak and poor. Fucking Microsoft, like the most successful company in software is saying whining.

Thebonehead

Banned
I have zero idea why people are whining about the Activision desi.

As per that document iit is in their own interest to keep Cod on PlayStation.

I even picked the piece out where they say Elder Scrolls VI, a Bethesda game will be on playstation.

Activision is just an extension of their game pass future. Sony won't lose in any way as Microsoft wants those $$$. Based on that document I'd even expect starfield to come to playstation at some point and probably switch via streaming.

I think the Xbox fans are riled up by final fantasy as Sony has that wrapped out tightly in NDA and they expected it would eventually come like crash bandicoot etc with no warning after a year.

They also piss off the PC segment by restricting access with their exclusively deals. Square also pissed off the PC market with the lacklustre port and epic exclusivity as well to be fair.

Freeman76

As I said before, Sony is a greedy snake that doesn’t want any sort of competition. They crying like a baby about the MS Cod deal because they don’t want any competition.

For that reason alone I hope MS wins it.

If there is a company that is Anti-competitive and fair play its Sony.

Not like MS are bunch of Angels. But fuck. to release a game on every platform but not Xbox is an ass move no matter how you see it lol

Basically came to post this. I really dislike Sony as a company and kinda regret buying a PS5 due to how scummy their approach is.

As you said, MS have their issues but as a consumer I get a lot more from their business model than I do Sonys bullshit.

Elios83

This is an easy deal for Square Enix to sign, they know on Xbox there isn't a fanbase for these games, previous multiplatform games like FFXIII and FFXV sold what? 80:20 on PS/Xbox? Then Sony gives them free marketing, huge presence in their shows, money and possibility to release a PC version.
If these deals weren't good for the publisher they wouldn't sign them.
Microsoft's problem is in how they gave up on the Japanese market after the early 360 days when they tried guess what...to get a lot of exclusives (Tales of, Star Ocean, the Sakaguchi games, the Capcom games).

And obviously this kind of deal has nothing to do with trying to scoop whole publishers one after the other even if some people want to pretend awkwardly that it's the same :messenger_grinning_sweat: :lollipop_flores:

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
So when do sunset overdrive and titanfall release on PlayStation again? It’s funny that they would even bring this up when they do it also. I mean they just bought. All of Bethesdas IPs. I do think Microsoft’s deal will go through but I also believe that if it does Microsoft will never see another Japanese title on their systems. Sony buying Capcom and SE would not surprise me at all as a retaliatory move.
gKZCePn.jpg

cireza

Some people might get triggered by this but if you fan of Japanese games and JRPGs, you better off getting PS5, Switch and PC over Xbox, this has been know even near end of 360 era.
Xbox is perfectly fine if you enjoy major Japanese series, most of these are available and it has largely improved ever since Phil took charge. Except the ones Sony pays to prevent Xbox players from enjoying, of course.

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Does Sony own square or something?

For those who think this is series, nope, just poking fun here. Game is timed exclusive. nothing more. It will come to xbox eventually.
Didn't Sony buy 20% of shares from Squaresoft to prevent them from going bankrupt after the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within disaster?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why Xbox players won’t get a PlayStation? Is it really not worth playing your most anticipated games?

I would get Xbox if there was no other way

feynoob

Banned
Why Xbox players won’t get a PlayStation? Is it really not worth playing your most anticipated games?

I would get Xbox if there was no other way
??????
Think for a second. Reverse the situation, and see how that logic works.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
??????
Think for a second. Reverse the situation, and see how that logic works.
Read my post again. I would buy an Xbox if it had games that I wanted not available anywhere else. It’s a cheap box. I can have 2 cheap boxes and many people can.
It’s stupid to deny yourself of games you want to play because you’ve bought the wrong console few years back.

That said. Microsoft fucking sucks, Phil’s we all play crap is bs… but they will release some games in the future. I will get them on pc

feynoob

Banned
Read my post again. I would buy an Xbox if it had games that I wanted not available anywhere else. It’s a cheap box. I can have 2 cheap boxes and many people can.
It’s stupid to deny yourself of games you want to play because you’ve bought the wrong console few years back.

That said. Microsoft fucking sucks, Phil’s we all play crap is bs… but they will release some games in the future. I will get them on pc
Because A) not everyone has the money for 2 consoles.

2: People wont get specific console just to play a certain 3rd party game, which might come to the other console in the future.

Unless its for exclusive games like God of war or spiderman, or their friends playing that system, people would not simply get the other console.

This isnt MS vs Sony. Its consumers unable to play a game from 3rd party, which neither company owns. Sony does not own Square.
If Square decides its not worth bringing their games on xbox, that is their decision. Consumers cant complain about that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Maybe Phil should tell his playerbase to start buying these kinds of games. That might make his life easier.

"Xbox is more digital than the others" is pretty much a false statement at this point.

GameIndustry's own data revealed that 71% of all console sales on software was digital in 2022. From Sony's financial reports, we know that 79% of all software sold on PlayStation was digital. If Xbox had a higher digital ratio than PlayStation's 79%, it would have skewed the industry average number, which then wouldn't be 71%.

The nerve to use ips created by Sony and Nintendo against them lmao.

MS also had huge IPs but has shown again and again how bad they are at creating their own, needing to buy them after being created already like Halo, Gears, etc.

That’s not Sonys fault or Nintendo.

I hope they know for sure Sony isn’t allowing these games on Xbox cause if not we’re starting 2023 with a Sony response to this nonsense.

Also not them naming a PlayStation IP on that list :messenger_tears_of_joy: do they even know BloodBorne is a PS IP?

GHG

"Xbox is more digital than the others" is pretty much a false statement at this point.

GameIndustry's own data revealed that 71% of all console sales on software was digital in 2022. From Sony's financial reports, we know that 79% of all software sold on PlayStation was digital. If Xbox had a higher digital ratio than PlayStation's 79%, it would have skewed the industry average number, which then wouldn't be 71%.

He fumbles his own damage control in the very same twitter thread.

That will make up the shortfall.

Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN

supernova8

Banned
Lol fucking hell bringing out the violins. We've all been calling these things "exclusivity agreements" and now Microsoft wants to call them "exclusion agreements" to make it sound more dramatic.

Also, while they name specific games, they kinda make it sound as if those franchises have been permanently exclusive to Playstation since the beginning of time or something. Let's check:

Final Fantasy 13 came to Xbox 360 and PS3 on the same day (different in Japan but globally was simultaneous)
Final Fantasy 15 came to Xbox One an PS4 the same day

-

Silent Hill 4: The Room came to Xbox and PS2 the same day
Silent Hill (5): Homecoming came to PS3 and Xbox 360 the same day

So basically we have evidence that Square Enix and Konami were both open to working with Xbox in the past. What changed? Suggests to me that Microsoft could have paid for exclusivity or at least paid to not have them be exclusively on PS5 and failed to do so because they didn't want to work with Xbox for some reason.

There is also the possibility Microsoft told them they had to put their games on Series S and they were like "no fuck off, we'll just go Playstation exclusive you nobhead".

Basically Playstation built up the relationships and it paid off. Xbox could have built up the same sorts of relationships (they were only one generation later than Sony to the party) from the very first Xbox. It looks like that didn't work out for them? Maybe companies just don't want to work with Microsoft and, by extension, Xbox?

So fuck it let's just buy the biggest publishers so they cannot possibly say "no" to us ever again! Muwhahahahahahahah

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF
Season 3 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
That is a false statement, as most digital games include free to play and paid to play digital only games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Squeenix being in Sonys back pocket is not even shocking.

Can this deal just go through so we stop hearing about it.
So tired of the back and forth both comapnies trying to look like saints while demonizing the other, when in truth they are both evil

feynoob

Banned
Maybe read the thread after the post of mine you quoted. You can then work out what total sales will be with digital and physical combined. Hint:

It's still not looking good.
I know for a fact that the userbase difference between xbox and PS have been huge. That is a major factor, when determining sales. Its exactly, why I dont get in to these topics. As long as that difference exist, the platform with more userbase would always win.
If you do the math, you know who will sell more copies.
Again
Bored Come On GIF

GHG

I know for a fact that the userbase difference between xbox and PS have been huge. That is a major factor, when determining sales. Its exactly, why I dont get in to these topics. As long as that difference exist, the platform with more userbase would always win.
If you do the math, you know who will sell more copies.
Again
Bored Come On GIF

You tried.

Season 3 Good Job GIF by NETFLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom