• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake PS Plus game will be free upgrade to PS5 this Wednesday

JaksGhost

The wording for this is super confusing , confirmed free upgrade for ps+ path or nah?
*PlayStation Plus members who own a PlayStation 5 and have received FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE for PlayStation 4 as part of the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection are eligible for the free PlayStation 5 enhancement update program from 22 December 2021. Please note that an active PlayStation Plus subscription is required to maintain access to the content.

The path is if you want to buy the DLC which is separate from the free enhancements.

Last edited:

Aenima

The game landed on PS+ in March and the upgrade didn't go live until June, and it's free. You don't know where to yell so you're just screaming at the clouds to feel included in the mob.
Yeah u right, forgot the PS5 upgrade was only available later. And if the upgrade is free is nice. My previous post remain the same. Ill buy the game when they finish all episodes. Thats the reason i dont bought FF7R at launch in the 1st place.

hemo memo

Gold Member
lol so:
- Offer it on Ps+ but announce you won't be able to upgrade.
- Make people who want the upgrade buy the retail version
- Wait until sales of the upgrade slow down
- Announce you'll be able to upgrade the Ps+ version after all

But cool I guess for those who waited.
And after all this you’ll find that one lunatic who defend SE on this.

assurdum

Banned
I think some of you are mixed up.

The PS5 upgrade was never available to purchase. It was always free. It was available to people who bought the PS4 disc or digital base game. It was just not available to the PS+ PS4 version (which is stupid imo). Now they're going to make the always free PS5 upgrade available to the PS+ PS4 version on Wednesday. That is all.

The only problem is because of that silly decision before, PS+ subscribers with a PS5 who wanted the free upgrade had to either buy the PS4 disc or digital base game to get the free upgrade (the cheaper way), or buy the PS5 version straight up.

The upgrade itself was always free. It's the intermission episode that cost money. And still does.
It was. I almost bought it, thanks to God I didn't.

Shmunter

I do not understand why you disallow upgrading PS+ versions. You think between a PS4 version and PS5 version that someone is going to pay full price for the same game?

The fact that both Uncharted and Mortal Shell are doing this brings back memories of online pass.
It’s ridiculous. A a serious misstep has been taken by branching off ps plus’s offerings from the retail versions. Shits only likely going to get worse with all sorts of potential limits.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Final Fantasy 7 remake’s problem isn’t what platform it’s on I just hate it’s linear world.

Mr Moose

Crap, I never downloaded the ps plus version cause I already bought it digitally.

Does that mean I'm not eligible?
(UK store)
You can upgrade for free now (since the PS5 version launched) if you already own the PS4 version.

skit_data

Click Search (top right on PS5 dashboard) and it should be there.
I’ll try when I get back home, I tried searching via the phone app. I found the PS4 -> PS5 upgrade version (it even mentions PS+ version now being eligible for upgrade) but it still says ”not available”.

It’s probably just something with the phone app, it will probably work fine browsing via the PS5 itself.

gela94

Well for this you actually need a . . . . . . .. . . ps5 . . .
Oh No Reaction GIF by The Great British Bake Off

A2una1

Well, I did own it on ps4 as a disc as well as psn+ download. And did the free upgrade for my disc version. I wanted to use it now for the psn+ version so I don't need use the disc anymore but it requires the disc anyway... Weird

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, I did own it on ps4 as a disc as well as psn+ download. And did the free upgrade for my disc version. I wanted to use it now for the psn+ version so I don't need use the disc anymore but it requires the disc anyway... Weird

this was going to be my approach….bugger.

skit_data

this was going to be my approach….bugger.
Shouldn’t it be possible by removing the disc-based version of the game from your game library somehow?

Ezekiel_

Banned
Crap, I never downloaded the ps plus version cause I already bought it digitally.

Does that mean I'm not eligible?
As far as I know, you don't need to download it to be able to upgrade.

No matter what PS4 version of the game you own (digital, physical, PS+), you'll be able to upgrade it to the PS5 version.

skit_data

Well I did delete the ps5 version and re-download it. But did not temper with the library.
If you have claimed the PS+ version, you should be able to delete the disc-based install as well.
The worst thing that can happen is that you’ll have to re-install the disc based version, I presume?

Edit: I’m not 100% it will work, but I remember having to delete the disc based version of Uncharted 4 entirely for the PS+ version to work smoothly without asking me to put the disc in.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

lol so:
- Offer it on Ps+ but announce you won't be able to upgrade.
- Make people who want the upgrade buy the retail version
- Wait until sales of the upgrade slow down
- Announce you'll be able to upgrade the Ps+ version after all

But cool I guess for those who waited.

Brilliant strategy from them.

cormack12

Gold Member
That was easy anyway, just went into the store and it was the first page. CHoose second game and it downloaded the 85GB game, it was 90GB for reference on the PS4

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
None of the PS5 versions are available for me to download... Do I have to start downloading the PS4+ version first and then switch?

Edit: downloaded the PS4+ version and the only other version it offers me is the demo from the home menu.

All of the PS5 versions are unavailable on the store on my console and phone.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah u right, forgot the PS5 upgrade was only available later. And if the upgrade is free is nice. My previous post remain the same. Ill buy the game when they finish all episodes. Thats the reason i dont bought FF7R at launch in the 1st place.
Hey I was gonna do that but since they put it on PS + I decided to play it. You should too, the game is its own game, you don’t feel like you were left with a cliffhanger.

Aenima

Hey I was gonna do that but since they put it on PS + I decided to play it. You should too, the game is its own game, you don’t feel like you were left with a cliffhanger.
I got it on PS+ and finished it. Im a huge fan of the original FF7 so i already beated the original many times. Thats why i want to buy the remakes but once the full story is complete.

I did enjoyed revisiting Midgar and its characters in modern graphics, but when the Remake ends is when the original starts getting interesting with the world exploration.

Curious to see how they gona do that in the remakes.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So much confusion when they could simply implement a better way to have the current console version by default. Well I say simply but Somy did screw basic stuff so I guess not that simple.

MaKTaiL

It's up and not up at the same time. It says Free when searching but when you enter the page it says unavailable.

Top Bottom